SMP Consultation Request Results

For someone who claims to be a Christian you're sure full of attacking words. Frankly, it's a shame you didn't handle this more respectfully because instead of harsh words and feelings, we could be shaking hands and potentially apologizing for a misunderstanding. I simply asked you a question and you attacked me. I don't have any time or tolerance for your attitude on this forum. If you'd like to contact me privately via email and apologize for your approach, I'll consider allowing you to continue posting here. But you have now lied about my posts and messages to TTDS and I find this intolerable.

My email is help@hairtransplantnetwork.com. I will be waiting for a civil email with an apology and after some discussion, perhaps we can put this behind us.

Bill

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch, I hate to see this. You are both good guys who just misunderstood each other. : (

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

TTDS,

I'm willing to give him some benefit of the doubt since he's been helpful to you. But I can't in good conscience allow him to misrepresent my words to you and verbally berate me for asking him to explain actions that were brought to my attention. I guess I'll leave it up to him and see if he wants to have a civil discussion privately.

Bill

Well I did receive that message but it was riddled with lies and insults. I guess his idea of a civil discussion is to verbally berate me further and call me a "crooked snake" - all for asking him if he was affiliated with GLI. Honestly, all i wanted was an explanation and it would have been sufficient. I guess that's the end of that.

Sorry to bring this thread off topic. I honestly expected a simple explanation from him and we'd move on.

As a courtesy, I did extend an olive branch to him privately through email but unless he apologizes for all the personal insults and lies (which are in violation of our terms of use), I can't in good conscience allow him to keep posting here.

Now, let's bring this thread back on topic.

Bill

According to what I was told by each company here are the pros and cons in my opinion of the two facilities I'm looking at GLI and NHI. This is based on my understanding of what I was told by them.

Good Look Ink

Advantages: $195 touch ups, won't blur or bleed (they say), uses multiple colors and matches hair color (NHI had an argument against this), longer hair is okay, fades hairline, fewer dots for an individual with hair.

Disadvantages: Because they go deeper it could potentially damage the follicle if care is not taken.

Not sure if advantage or disadvantage: Goes deeper into the skin, only one session required, deeper ink may cause ink to bleed under the skin.

New Hair Institute

Advantages: Fades hairline

Disadvantages: Uses only black ink except in a rare case (they explained why), recommends only buzzed or shaved hair, $500 touch up, same amount of dots for everyone no matter if they have existing hair or are totally bald.

Not sure if advantage or disadvantage: Three to five sessions required, less deep into the skin, shallow placement of ink allows ink over time to bleed out of skin not under it as deeper placed ink could.

There are two different processes, one for buzzed/shaved hair and one for longer hair. The client must decide before the procedure which they want because the process for buzzed/shaved hair will not look right with the method used for longer hair and vice versa.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Contact Shapiro and NHI.

I'm sure the perspective you get through a personal contact will be better than trying to keep up with their website spin, which changes often and is as reliable as a mirage!

Ask personally about it in a way the person can feel safe that you will not put them on record for what they say - and since your discussion is via a forum like this, I guess the natural response is going to take that into account, and you get just the 'safety and business-first approach'.

They will let you grow hair - at your own risk - and it might not do any harm to your appearance to have hair growing at less than 1-2cm over a tattooed scalp.

Look at the GLI president for a start. So when NHI say 5cm they are protecting themselves, and by the way, they are advocating a two-tone strategy here - not something many guys want.

First, they'll offer you the standard model, designed for a buzz, at a tone level to match that, and then, they'll offer a much, much darker version for long hair. But the catch with this is that you can't buzz, cause the ink will be too rich. so the long-look they are talking about is probably less for MPB guys and more for women.

But that shouldn't stop you. You can still get the tone designed for a buzz and let it grow, and it can help you. But they won't advertise it because it is fraught with problems. Just imagine the color matching problems for a start. It is up to you to make the call, using your imagination and flexible thinking. There is still lee-way for tone selection, initially and touch up, either way. Would you be prepared to be flexible, say try different lengths, color your hair, allow the sun to burn off certain problem areas etc.? This could mean the difference between a good or bad result, but with so many variables, it isn't likely they want to be quotes and misinterpreted. At best they lose customers, at worst a court case?

I think SMP can do a lot to help, if we tread carefully. I don't have the discipline myself to ensure I will step carefully but I know others do.

Just about the websites. They really are a tardy, sleazy mess. all of them. But so are our scalps?

Scar5, have you had SMP done? I can't remember in previous posts if you said you had it done. If so I'd love to chat with you about it. You seem to have a lot of good information about it. I'm learning but it seems the more I learn the less I realize I know.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I need to find good examples of guys who have had SMP who wear their hair longer than shaved or buzzed. I asked NHI three times if Dr. Rassman's mother had SMP along with other questions. All three times they answered all of my other questions except that one. It appears they do not want to discuss that.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I need to find good examples of guys who have had SMP who wear their hair longer than shaved or buzzed. I asked NHI three times if Dr. Rassman's mother had SMP along with other questions. All three times they answered all of my other questions except that one. It appears they do not want to discuss that.

It was Dr. Pak's mother, according to Rassman's blog.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Contact Shapiro and NHI.

I'm sure the perspective you get through a personal contact will be better than trying to keep up with their website spin, which changes often and is as reliable as a mirage!

Ask personally about it in a way the person can feel safe that you will not put them on record for what they say - and since your discussion is via a forum like this, I guess the natural response is going to take that into account, and you get just the 'safety and business-first approach'.

They will let you grow hair - at your own risk - and it might not do any harm to your appearance to have hair growing at less than 1-2cm over a tattooed scalp.

Look at the GLI president for a start. So when NHI say 5cm they are protecting themselves, and by the way, they are advocating a two-tone strategy here - not something many guys want.

First, they'll offer you the standard model, designed for a buzz, at a tone level to match that, and then, they'll offer a much, much darker version for long hair. But the catch with this is that you can't buzz, cause the ink will be too rich. so the long-look they are talking about is probably less for MPB guys and more for women.

But that shouldn't stop you. You can still get the tone designed for a buzz and let it grow, and it can help you. But they won't advertise it because it is fraught with problems. Just imagine the color matching problems for a start. It is up to you to make the call, using your imagination and flexible thinking. There is still lee-way for tone selection, initially and touch up, either way. Would you be prepared to be flexible, say try different lengths, color your hair, allow the sun to burn off certain problem areas etc.? This could mean the difference between a good or bad result, but with so many variables, it isn't likely they want to be quotes and misinterpreted. At best they lose customers, at worst a court case?

I think SMP can do a lot to help, if we tread carefully. I don't have the discipline myself to ensure I will step carefully but I know others do.

Just about the websites. They really are a tardy, sleazy mess. all of them. But so are our scalps?

What is the issue with two tones? I'd think variation would be more natural than one flat color. Everyone has different hues to their color. Is there an option in between what they use for buzzed/shaved hair and longer hair? I don't want to have the shaved/buzzed look. My hair will be fairly close on the sides and back but maybe 1.5" on top.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I will suggest to GLI that they start a profile here and come onto the forum and answer questions that some of us have. This would be the best way to learn about the service right from the source.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I seriously doubt GLI will do that. I hope so, but I would be surprised. They might feel that they have more to lose than to gain. You already indicated that they want to answer questions by phone. At least Dr. Rassman made commentary on SMP multiple times on one of your earlier posts.

After two one hour phone consultations and an in person consultation I had a few more follow up questions for GLI. I have sent two emails in the past 10 days with no response. Dr. Shapiro has been contacting me and we are discussing SMP. The lack of response is not in GLI’s favor.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Dr. Shapiro has been contacting me and we are discussing SMP.

Good to hear. And of course, please relay the discussion back to us!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Scar5, have you had SMP done?.

I tried SMP back in 2004. It was a disaster. I then had laser to remove it. Most was removed, but stubborn bits remained. Recently I went to one of the big guys and had it done - very conservatively - so no ink extends beyond my existing hair.

It is too early to say if it was a bad move. I can say this. I don't like the black. It looks blue in certain conditions and does not look natural to my skin tone. On the other hand, it helps in 'good light' to hide the nasty patches.

I won't say where I went cause I want to be impartial and also, as I said, I can't even say it was pass or fail yet. If it is the latter, I am looking forward to tanning my scalp heavily and fading it. If I'm half decent, i'll need more touch ups too, and so even if I am less than 100% happy, I'm sure not gonna bag on the company.

Here were my questions at the consult. And the responses I got, WITH the hindsight of having done it are, 0 = Satisfactory, X = poor, spin, vague, not informative, BS, sounded great at the consult, but was entirely not true in the end

1. How has pigmentation changed in the last three years? Ans - X

2. I think I'm a candidate. Do you agree? Ans - 0

3. What challenges do you see in my case? Ans - X

4. I want a graduation. NO helmet line, OK? Ans - X

5. How does the re-touch thing work? Ans - 0

6. How much experience do you have? Ans - 0

7. How would you change or adjust your settings for my case? Ans - X

8. Will you do it, and how long will you stay doing it? Ans - 0

9. What is the most common cause of bleed? Ans - 0

10. Tell me about your inks? Ans - X

I don't like the ink. It's the color. Check the inks they use..and as they say, check REAL good.

Don't ask me, cause I'm a dumb ass who is trying everything, and this is just yet another roll of the dice. So my expectations from these guys isn't great.

Scar5,

Thanks for your reply. This is great feedback! If you’d rather not say who did the job that was a disaster can you say if it was any of the three I’ve considered, GLI, NHI, or HIS? This is becoming a very scary and tough decision for me. The work Dr. Shapiro did is growing in but I only have about six more weeks until the one year point after my last surgery so I believe most of what I’m going to see has surfaced. The problem is I don’t have the density I need to be cosmetically acceptable so I believe SMP may beef it up a little to give the appearance of more density.

Most of my questions have been answered in my consultations however where I’m totally confused as is Dr. Shapiro is the fact apparently two different methods are used, one if the client has hair with a longer length and a different method if the client is planning on keeping their hair buzzed or shaved. I’m planning on leaving some length to my hair. I’ve only seen one photo in GLI’s gallery of a client with some length to their hair however, in the before photo their hair was a lighter color like mine and in the after photo it was dark. I’m wondering why. I’ve emailed GLI twice with questions but they apparently refuse to respond in writing which is a little unsettling.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Scar5-Also, do you have hair? I'm curious if you had the SMP removed with a laser if it damaged your hair follicles? Lasers are used for hair removal but maybe a different type is used for that. One of my concerns was if it needed to be removed would the laser used kill the hair follicle.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Scar5-

1) do you have hair?

2) I'm curious if you had the SMP removed with a laser if it damaged your hair follicles?

1) Yes, not much but hair. It is currently very short between 1-2cm. My hair at this length has never been good, because the pluggy transplanted hair, the native hair, and the bare scalp are very contrasting. The SMP, I believe, helps in medium or dark light. Under a bright lights, it shatters the illusion and one can see through the dodgy hair onto the skin underneath, but the ink is quite soft in tone, so I'm hoping one doesn't notice. In anycase, SMP or no SMP, at this length and bright lights, forget it.

I used to bleach my hair at the 1cm mark, and it was like a miracle, but with SMP i wouldn't risk it. I don't mind a colorful and artful contrast between tips and scalp hair, but I am no piece of art and I think the blond tips and the blackish background -which by the way is shiny - might add to the 'agent Orange Effect' already have.

However, if I can wait it out another month, at 2-3cm it is a different story. Shorter than this is also much better, say buzzed to 2-4mm. It smoothes out the contrasts. I'm thinking I want to try this, though dailiy I fight the tempatation to buzz it back, and by the time u read this, I might have.

2) I don't think the laser damaged my follicles. I believe the follicles are much deeper so it is not an issue. But on the other hand, wouldn't heat kill them? I don't know.

By the way, the poster hatemyhat , I've seen elsewhere, seems to know a lot about the bilogical and technical aspects of SMP. He knows that metal oxides are sharper, more resistant to UV damage an yet because of their tiny size, the particles can slip out of place and through barriers, hence 'move' and blur. So he knows that their are trade offs such as deeper = more smudge, shallower = more fade. etc.

Scar5- More good info. In your opinion is SMP something that can be done and look natural for guys who want to wear their hair longer than shaved or buzzed? I don't want to be stuck wearing my hair shaved or buzzed for the rest of my life and I think I look better with a bit of lenght to my hair. What I've not been able to determine is whether or not it will work with longer hair. I'm told it can be done but there are two different methods but I'm not clear what those are. All I want to do is lessen the contrast between my hair and scalp which is very evident in bright light. I will try to reach out to "hatemyhat" as well. Thanks

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Thanks Davis91. The more I learn the less I realize I know! Scar5, I'm guessing "hatemyhat" is on another forum? This is the only one I'm on. Also I like your description of deeper=more smudge, shallower=more fade. If the method for longer hair length isn't dots but more of a blanket coverage (I may be wrong but that is my understanding) will the smudge factor be less of an issue?

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Scar5, I'm guessing "hatemyhat" is on another forum?

His name is actually "HatingHats", (my mistake) and he posts on the Balding Truth Talk*>Non Surgical Hair Replacement > Gearing Up for Micropigmentation.

*Not to be confused with hair loss talk.

Always check around. I should (should have) too!

Great info. Thanks for the informative thread

Question: How in the world could they "remove it"

He also said if for some reason I want it removed one day that can be done.

Great info. Thanks for the informative thread

Question: How in the world could they "remove it"

With a laser.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts