SMP Consultation Request Results

TTDS,

Ok, I found what I said to you in another topic...

TTDS,

You seem to be very interested in scalp micropigmentation lately. What exactly would you like to have done? I'm very concerned that if you go this route that you're going to truly regret your decision. Tattooing is permanent and if you don't like it, it's going to be very difficult and time consuming to remove it.

Dr. Rassman is a highly reputable, stand up physician. Thus, I suggest consulting and discussing your situation and concerns with him to see if he thinks you're a suitable candidate for this procedure.

Before proceeding with scalp micropigementation or anything else however, I'd give your hair transplant results time to grow, thicken and mature.

Best wishes,

Bill

While I suppose I didn't use the word "may", it was implied. Also, in the very next paragraph, I suggested you consult with Dr. Rassman...I didn't try to talk you out of SMP altogether. So I'm not sure where you are getting that I am trying to talk you out of it.

Again, none of my messages were an attempt to persuade you against SMP, only to make you stop, think and research everything before moving forward. Having been through a number of hair transplant procedures in an attempt to achieve the desired results, I wouldn't want to see you haphazardly undergo another type of procedure that you'll later regret. But since you are clearly doing your homework and not jumping into a decision on this, I trust that if you do proceed with SMP that you'll know what you're getting yourself into, which of course, includes the advantages, disadvantages and potential problems.

Best of luck,

Bill

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I feel like hairs are being split here (no pun intended). I don't' feel I'm taking your words out of context but if you feel I am I apologize. If someone says to me that I'm going to "truly regret" something that doesn't sound like they are trying to talk me into it. I've been researching SMP for over two years so I've done about as much as I can.

I wasn't implying you had no knowledge of the procedure. I was simply saying you have limited knowledge and as you said you are no expert. I've seen several people in person who have had it done but you haven't so I'd say it is safe to assume I have that advantage. I was just trying to get a handle on your opinion of the procedure with the experience you have that's all. I'm on your side. ; )

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

TTDS,

I guess I was a lot more cavalier about my concerns about the procedure rather than the advantages. But I'm glad you're doing your homework and that you've seen a few patients in person.

If you ever make it my way in PA, dinner and drinks on me :-).

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Bill, I'm holding you to that!

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I received a reply to my follow up questions from NHI today. I still haven't heard from GLI on my follow up questions. It appears these two companies use very different processes. NHI does not recommend SMP for anyone who keeps their hair longer than shaved or buzzed. They will do it on a case by case basis. I'm trying to find out why they have this policy.

They said they only use black ink for all clients and they rarely use a shade of brown but it is on a case by case basis. GLI uses the color that matches one's hair. NHI says that skin obscures the true color of the ink. The example they give is blood vessels which are really red looks green under the skin. NHI requires three to five procedures spaced at least four days apart. That could be a challenge because I'd have to make multiple trips to LA from Florida.

NHI says tattoos go in deep so the ink stays and as time goes by it bleeds. SMP goes shallow compared to a tattoo so the ink may come out in the first week. The ink that stays in may bleed over the years but instead o bleeding like a traditional tattoo it will bleed out of the skin because it is deposited shallow which is why a touch up may be needed. NHI says all ink will fade and lose definition but the loss of definition is minimal.

So it appears that GLI goes deep and only uses black ink and NHI goes shallowand matches the color to the individual's hair. Now to figure out which method is best! Thoughts?

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

CORRECTION: I meant to say NHI goes shallow and only uses black ink where GLI goes deep and matches the color of the individual's hair.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I'm not sure what I'd learn about it in person that I can't learn via phone or email. It is not in my budget to fly out to LA just to talk to them. They did say they have a couple of clients in Florida that I could see in person. If they aren't too far I'll get together with them.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

It looks like you are getting to the core of this matter TTDS, and from my experience, that is not an easy thing to do. I think you may be on to something with the insertion depth and its relation to the longevity of the results. GLI is very confident that their results last longer and only require one session (but it can take up to eight hours) with an additional follow-up the next day in which you and the technician can decide collectively to add more ink. All other providers require more sessions so it makes sense that maybe GLI goes deeper. I wonder if the type of ink factors into the equation as much as it is made out to. My guess would be no- I believe all of these providers have pretty much the same blends that are mineral-based and that contain no metalics that would have color change. I originally thought that since the insertion depth was so shallow- just barely into the dermis,that the providers all must produce similar results. But there must be some significance in the difference of insertion depth, no matter how slightly each provider's differs. Seems like maybe this could be the x-factor here, but I have recently been learning on a different forum that different individuals, as well as different parts of the scalp, absorb pigments more than others, and quicker than others. That throws a whole new variable into this equation, and adds to its difficulty.

I'm not sure what I'd learn about it in person that I can't learn via phone or email. It is not in my budget to fly out to LA just to talk to them. They did say they have a couple of clients in Florida that I could see in person. If they aren't too far I'll get together with them.

That would be great to meet those Florida guys that have had it done.

I would consider visiting NHI when they have one of those Open House events where they showcase several patients who you could see in person. I've read they've even done some SMP live for those who attend. Maybe schedule a personal consult as well. That way you aren't just flying to LA for a 45 minute consult.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Can anyone recommend an unbiased third party I could go to for an evaluation to see if SMP would be the right thing for me? If I go to a provider of the service most likely they will lean towards recommending it. If I could find someone qualified to evaluate me within a close drive that would be great.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Whenever I ask about SMP I always hear the name of these two clinics. HIS hair clinic and Vinci hair clinic. Try to consult them, however I still think consulting Dr. M Lardi from Italy if you care about quality of Ink. Good luck buddy.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

I received an answer to my follow up question to GLI this morning. I like what they said. I asked if I would require fewer dots than a totally bald guy since I have hair. Their answer was yes. It is good to know they customize this and it isn't a one size fits all approach. I want the density of a guy my age not a 20 year old. I need the appearance of more density than I have now with my transplants but don't want it too dense. It sounds like they make allowances for that and this will be age appropriate.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

JholCollege11,

I've been notified privately that you may be affiliated with GLI and that you are covertly posting on their behalf. Furthermore, I have evidence showing that you were caught on another forum using multiple aliases to promote GLI.

While I won't begrudge you for past mistakes you've made on other forums, I expect you to disclose your afflilation with GLI in your forum signature. I have no problems with representatives from SMP companies posting here as long as they're following the rules clearly posted in our terms of service.

So to ask you straight out....are you affiliated with GLI in any way?

Your response is appreciated and expected,

Bill

I heard from NHI with my additional follow up questions today. They now seem to be quick to respond and completely okay with email. GLI on the other hand seems to be less inclined to reply to emails, they would rather talk on the phone. Anyway, NHI said I would likely get a similar number of dots as a completely bald guy. This is a little concerning because if I have hair and they are going to squeeze in as many dots on me as a totally bald guy isn’t that going to overpopulate my scalp with dots creating the appearance of too much density? GLI said it would be customized for me and if I already have hair fewer dots would be used. That approach sounds more realistic to me. Thoughts?

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I’ve about given up trying to find examples of NHI’s SMP. I went to their website and could find no gallery. I emailed them and they sent me a link which took me to the same website I had already been to with no gallery of SMP’s. I emailed them back and said I must be missing something because I see no examples of your work. They emailed me back and said to click on “clients” on the home page. There is no “client” tab on the home page! UGH! Does anyone have a link they can send me that will take me to examples of NHI’s SMP work? This is getting tedious.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

This is from NHI's website. It seems to go against what I was told by them. Apparently long hair is acceptable but they must use a different process for that vs. buzzed hair. The more I learn the less I feel I know!

Scalp MicroPigmentation (SMP) works best for those who want to shave their hair (keeping it clipped very short). Even hair as long as 1/2 cm may not look right with SMP. You must remember that this is a permanent pigment (tattoo) without a three-dimensional texture.

Let’s say you had a scar on your scalp from surgery. If you shave the hair around the scar, SMP can mimic the same look (thus disguising the scar). When the hair grows, there will be an uneven step-off look until your hair grows long enough to cover it. Another issue with SMP is the color matching. If you have brown hair, SMP may not match if the hair is kept long. SMP works for shaved brown hair, because the hair color almost looks grey when it’s that short. So if you match the color of a shaved hair, it will not match with the long hair (unless your hair color is black).

In a minority of cases we do use SMP in between the hair to make it look fuller. In effect, this is coloring your scalp to diminish the contrast between hair color and scalp color. If you do this, you will need to keep your hair longer (5cm+ or so) so that it would not look like you tattooed your scalp. This method is only recommended if you are never going to cut your hair short (for life), because if you shave or cut your hair short it will not look right.

In summary — SMP is not so simple. It’s a permanent procedure that works best for shaved hair where we use a shade of grey (not brown). If you keep your hair long and we use your dark brown pigment to give you fullness, cutting your hair short later will cause the different color to stand out. If you want some permanent color to your scalp while keeping your hair long, it’s doable, but not advised for everyone. I think temporary camouflaging products such as DermMatch and Toppik are the best for those situations.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Lol r u kidding me! I'm a nursing student!!! I have no affiliation witjh gli and if u took the time to do your investigation with bald truth Properly, u would've seen my reason for the dual accounts and realized that I talked to the moderator and gave all of my info! I am really disappointed and am questioning your sources and motives. Where have I promoted gli this is ridiculous sir!!!!

I’ve about given up trying to find examples of NHI’s SMP. I went to their website and could find no gallery. I emailed them and they sent me a link which took me to the same website I had already been to with no gallery of SMP’s. I emailed them back and said I must be missing something because I see no examples of your work. They emailed me back and said to click on “clients” on the home page. There is no “client” tab on the home page! UGH! Does anyone have a link they can send me that will take me to examples of NHI’s SMP work? This is getting tedious.

I found it. It was on another website off of their main site. There were only three examples of people with thinning hair. Not nearly as many examples as GLI has.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Can anyone recommend an unbiased third party I could go to for an evaluation to see if SMP would be the right thing for me? .

Contact Shapiro and NHI.

I'm sure the perspective you get through a personal contact will be better than trying to keep up with their website spin, which changes often and is as reliable as a mirage!

Ask personally about it in a way the person can feel safe that you will not put them on record for what they say - and since your discussion is via a forum like this, I guess the natural response is going to take that into account, and you get just the 'safety and business-first approach'.

They will let you grow hair - at your own risk - and it might not do any harm to your appearance to have hair growing at less than 1-2cm over a tattooed scalp.

Look at the GLI president for a start. So when NHI say 5cm they are protecting themselves, and by the way, they are advocating a two-tone strategy here - not something many guys want.

First, they'll offer you the standard model, designed for a buzz, at a tone level to match that, and then, they'll offer a much, much darker version for long hair. But the catch with this is that you can't buzz, cause the ink will be too rich. so the long-look they are talking about is probably less for MPB guys and more for women.

But that shouldn't stop you. You can still get the tone designed for a buzz and let it grow, and it can help you. But they won't advertise it because it is fraught with problems. Just imagine the color matching problems for a start. It is up to you to make the call, using your imagination and flexible thinking. There is still lee-way for tone selection, initially and touch up, either way. Would you be prepared to be flexible, say try different lengths, color your hair, allow the sun to burn off certain problem areas etc.? This could mean the difference between a good or bad result, but with so many variables, it isn't likely they want to be quotes and misinterpreted. At best they lose customers, at worst a court case?

I think SMP can do a lot to help, if we tread carefully. I don't have the discipline myself to ensure I will step carefully but I know others do.

Just about the websites. They really are a tardy, sleazy mess. all of them. But so are our scalps?

Jholcollege,

You're disappointed? You lost all respect for mods? Well I've lost all respect for posters who create multiple aliases in attempt to deceive forum members into thinking they're different posters.

The bottom line is that you were caught using two different aliases on another forum and somebody brought it to my attention. They also mentioned that members from the other forum called you out as being a "tattoo shill".

Your posts on this forum do show much favoritism towards GLI and in conjunction with the above info I received, I asked you very respectfully but straight out if you were affiliated with them.

My motives are simple....to preserve the integrity of this forum and protect it from potential covert promoters.

I don't have an account on the Bald Truth forum and even if I did, I wasn't going to read all 100 of your posts to learn what I could find out by simply asking you a question. So what were your motives in creating more than one account on another forum?

The truth is, all forums frown heavily upon one poster creating and using multiple aliases. Thus, I expect you to answer my questions respectfully if you'd like to continue to post here. My patience for posters attacking other members and administrators thinking they'll be allowed to continue posting here afterwards is wearing rather thin.

Bill

JHolCollege,

I received your private message and will be reading and responding to it shortly. For what it's worth, TTDS and I have discussed this after my intial post on this topic and he seems to feel that you're genuine. I'm inclined to agree.

However, I must advise you not to try to pull the same shenanigans on this forum as you did on the Bald Truth by creating multiple accounts. Anything you have to say can be said under one alias.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Bill

Jholcollege,

You're disappointed? You lost all respect for mods? Well I've lost all respect for posters who create multiple aliases in attempt to deceive forum members into thinking they're different posters.

The bottom line is that you were caught using two different aliases on another forum and somebody brought it to my attention. They also mentioned that members from the other forum called you out as being a "tattoo shill".

Your posts on this forum do show much favoritism towards GLI and in conjunction with the above info I received, I asked you very respectfully but straight out if you were affiliated with them.

My motives are simple....to preserve the integrity of this forum and protect it from potential covert promoters.

I don't have an account on the Bald Truth forum and even if I did, I wasn't going to read all 100 of your posts to learn what I could find out by simply asking you a question. So what were your motives in creating more than one account on another forum?

The truth is, all forums frown heavily upon one poster creating and using multiple aliases. Thus, I expect you to answer my questions respectfully if you'd like to continue to post here. My patience for posters attacking other members and administrators thinking they'll be allowed to continue posting here afterwards is wearing rather thin.

Bill

So much for not begrudging me for past mistakes huh buddy? Also, your respect holds no value to me. I do have respect for the moderator on bald truth who was strong enough to admit she was wrong, and did it in a professional manner via email. She was very mature. You have pm'd a member of this forum who is researching smp, and twice you told him "dont have this done. You'll be sorry." Then when asked to elaborate you did not respond. So if anyones motives and character need to be examined, it is yours and Im not afraid to say it. Your power lies in a button you can press from you keyboard that will deny me access to this forum, and I know you will do that so you can "win". That is sad in my book. Especially when you know you are wrong and that I am not a shill. I love to help people, especially those who share my common affliction. I have not been partial to GLI, and have been very objective, even after going to them. My only purpose for remaining on this forum is to try and share my experience, and learn more about this myself, b/c smp is not a one-and-done deal, in my opinion, but requires maintenance and touchups over the years.I want to know more about NHI and HIS also. If you have time to call me out on this forum, then you should have time to do your research sir. I am most likely going to wash my hands of this, and that is a shame b/c I am a legit guy with good intentions, who has REAL experience to share and not just OPINIONS like you. My career path is Nursing, and I can assure you that I'll be making a REAL difference in this life. I will be of service to people physically, spiritually, and mentally. Encouragement is the spiritual gift my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ has gifted me with, and I will continue to share it with the world! I do not need your platform in order to share Christ's love. Im sorry that you are not at a level of maturity to admit your mistakes, and that you must judge me 100 percent based on one of mine (from a different forum). Im going to get back to studying and focusing on what matters; I have no time for guys like you.