My FUE With Dr. Rahal 3000+ Grafts (Large Procedure)

Sean

Did my write up/results help you with your questions regarding Dr. Rahal's FUE?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey buddy,

Based on hours and hours of research, I would recommend either Feriduni of Belgium or Erdogan of Turkey. These two along with Lorenzo seem to be the gold standard in FUE and are producing killer results. Erdogan if you want to be aggressive with the dense packing, and Feriduni for the hairline. Feriduni has a wait list of around 9 months which says it all. Lorenzo's hairline tends to be too high. I'm sure others will add alternative names to the list, but these are my top 3. And before Busa jumps all Over my back, consider Maras as well.

Mav, thank you for the suggestions. I think folks you mentioned have solid results. It would be great to get estimates from docs to see how many grafts would be needed and whats the best way to approach this.

Wow, you definitely have a interesting case! I am happy to hear Dr. Rahal's way of handling this situation. I know that most other Docs would not be offering you this solution. I am happy for you! However, if I were you I would not jump right back into another surgery right away. I would choose a Doc and schedule the surgery for next year. Here's why- first, your head still needs more time to heal- just in general. Next, you had a lot of graphs extracted and you already have donor issues. So, in a couple of months you might not want another surgery and maybe accept your okay results and fill in the donor with smp. These are things you might want to consider. Just my opinion. Whatever you choose, I hope you have a happy ending with this! And finally, from me and my family- Thank you for your service!

Win, thanks for the support. Right now, i am getting some confusion on how the doc is planning on handling it. Including when the doc plans on taking care of it after i see which expert fue surgeon decides to work on me ? Havent heard any update yet and still waiting for analysys by other docs to see how to approach this. Once that is done, then i can see how to approach it. I dont intend to jump right back in the chair but try to do this smart and effective. Definitely agree with you that scalp needs to heal, there was a lot of impact in a zone where there was native hair. Skin actually feels different in the recipient zone. I got too many folks commenting negatively in person or gaving wandering eyes that i think a fix is necessary but i am in a weird situation. Most likely the doctor who repairs will have to work in front of impacted areas to properly frame and give a decent look. I really appreciate your well wishes and thanks you commending me about my service. I really appreciate it.

Sean,

I would be interested to see your updated photos.

What clinic in the states was recommended?

As another poster commented, I think it may be in your best interst to wait 6-12 months and allow the scalp to heal and recoup. You have been through a lot in a short period of time. This is something you can consult with your next surgeon and I am sure they will have their own take on this.

The short list I would consider for your case would be;

Feriduni

Maras

Lorenzo

Edrogan

Dermisoy

Hoping you get everything squared away with brilliant results with your next pass.

Best of luck!!

Wazaam, i hope things are better for you. I really want to thank you for advice, both here and in private. Definately waiting to have my scalp heal, it has been impacted big time, in a small recipient zone filled with native hairs thats recieved around 4500 grafts. No doubt there are numerous factors that could have played a role in the yield and result, but that is something i dont want to think about. Right now it is to take advice and filter out a top FUE doc to rectify the issue so all my goals are answered and i do not face any issue. Proper framing, density issues, donor issues needing repair would be key things to avoid stares and comments. These things happen in my daily life and it is bothersome. Thank you for that list and i appreciate your well wishes and likewise, i hope your concerns are addressed as well.

Lorenzo if you're going to travel.

And thanks for the sharing everything Sean--wishing you the best in your upcoming procedure.

fueguy, thank you so much for your recommendation. I really appreciate it. He seems to do great work. And you are very welcome, i think sharing from a real patient is the way things should be. This way, the documentation tells a realistic story, gives the user a realistic feel, to what you may face, and with transparency. Thank you for wishing me well and i hope things are well for you and that your goals are answered.

Feriduni's repair results are amazing but long, long wait list.

Thanks for the feedback FUE2014. Yes, i have heard he has quite a long wait list. Results are not bad either. Looks like there are quite a few folks also considering Belgium, from my conversations I had with some folks.

Sean, whatever you decide to do next I'm rooting for you. You went to Dr Rahal at the same time I went to Dr feller. We kinda started our journeys at the same time and I truly hope you finally get the results you yearn for.

Irishsailor, i remember your journey and happy you are doing great. You deserve it and have contrubuted a lot to the forum. Thanks for your recommendations and wishing me well. I really hope for the best too. Doc Lorenzo has some great reviews too. A couple of folks recommended him too. I wonder how many grafts he would recommend? This has been quite a roller coaster. I really appreciate your kind words. Thanks.

Hey Sean,

Wow, I've just found this tread and read all 43 pages. I'm exhausted just from reading, grateful for the detail provided, and so sorry to see you are still striving to get the distinctly full hairline you desire.

You account has been amazing, and really opened my eyes to the reality that there is a chance of disappointment regardless of the best research, best doctor and best after-care. Thanks to you, if I do proceed with a HT myself, I'll be going in with my eyes open.

I'm 42 and have a similar 'before' hairline as you. As such, I'm also seeking a dense hairline guru and Rahal is on my list - though following your review I'd go FUT with Rahal and live with the scar .

I'm from Australia, so have a massive commute on my hands whoever I choose and therefore not wedded to a North American surgeon. I'll be super keen to hear how you progress with investigations on European surgeons . My research to date has me favouring Koray Erdogan in Turkey for density. Based on comments above I'll also take a good look at Feriduni's (Belgium) for his hairlines.

Keep up the amazing posts, and all the best with your next steps!

Ersko

Ersko, thank you for the feedback and kind words. I hope you get that great dense hairline. I am glad you found my documentation useful. I felt it is the best way to show how the process is, from the eyes of an actual patient. There are a lot of great European surgeons, i have reviewed quite a few in the past few weeks. Some of the results are quite impressive, especially with hair types as similar to mine. Ive also researched the Turkish docs too. Few folks have also mentioned Dr Lupanzula to review as well. There is quite a few docs but the hardest decision is making the choice from a pool of top FUE experts. Most of the top fue docs recommended do all work themselves including extractions and even may be willing to break it up into smaller procedures, which is quite interesting. Thanks for the feedback and well wishes. I really appreciate it.

Sean, out of interest, do u regret not electing for strip ?

FUE2014, honestly i do not. Ive seen too many results from top FUE docs to see that in a small recipient area as mine, 4500+ grafts woukd have done wonders. In fact some docs are able to have amazing yield with such number of grafts in a recipient area larger than mine. I think an expert extractor, not having grafts out of body for a longer time, and breaking up my initial procedures (as initially discussed), would have possibly changed my situation today. Now i have a zone i am cautious about, both recipient and donor. Most likey future work would need to be in front and around heavily impacted zones. I dont want to lose grafts like this again. My recipient area had a lot of native hair too and its possible high rate of transection could have occurred. Best thing now is to take this nice and slow and be repaired in few smalker procedures. I have to worry about both donor and recipient zones now. Again, i still think FUE is a great option if it is executed efficiently abd with great safety. I cant see how FUE only clinics are able to convert high norwoods into something better facially framed than me, along woth decent density. Just hoping to proceed with cautious research and authentic input from real folks and patients. Looking at the top of the top to see how they have dealth with cases similar to mine.

Sean, out of interest, do u regret not electing for strip ?

Just tried to reply to this post of yours but my post is apparently being reviewed by moderators it said.

Hey Sean,

Have you consulted with Dr. Diep out of San Fran? His results seem good. Interested in anyone's take on that surgeon.

Hi Recedingboy, no I have not. How are his repair cases? How is his facial framing? Is he recommended on this site? Ive seen some of his work on various forums but wouldnt mind a review of my case with various FUE docs. At this stage, docs with yield and artistry combined may be the best choice. It is a tough situation to be in, but definitly one worth examining and thinking thoroughly about. Thank you for your input and feedback as it is greatly appreciated. My case is still in process and i am hoping for the best outcome. Ive been through a lot and trying to give the best view of what to expect and etc.( from a patient's point of view, without compensation, without any reward or extra graft given reward type deal before during or after surgery, or discounted for feedback type deals, im without affiliation, and etc).

Again, love to hear feedback and opinions on best ways to approach the situation. As always, thank you for the good feedback, wishes, thoughts about my journey. It is always good to give back and to learn from those who deal with what I am going through and even those that may be starting their surgical journies soon.

Hi Sean

Sorry to hear your not satisfied with your current situation as it's always a long hard road waiting it out and then to not be happy with result sucks!!

Iv been impressed with a lot of dieps results his video documentation is a but amateurish but his results look really good!!

If I were you I'd be looking at lorenzo erdogan feriduni and maras who all seem to have really good consistent results also kesser who seems A little less well known and I also like the work of mwamba but again not as many results out there!!

If affordable the most likely person to give you the outcome you deserve seems to be lorenzo as iv never seen 1 bad result of his and quite a few guys on here used him when he was over in Manchester for a year and all had good to great results!!

Hope you find someone who nails it for you mate, you deserve to be happy with your hair!!

Just read through this thread, unfortunately I think what we have here is a classic example of expectation and the reality of what transplants can do, personally I think you had great hair to begin with , I also think the first procedure didn't turn out too badly either in fact a lot of guys on here would kill to have a hairline and density like that,

Good of Dr Rahal to say he'd sort out any Dr of your choice but to be honest a lot of Docs may think twice about taking you on because of your unrealistic expectations also the fact there wasn't much wrong with your first transplant, in my opinion, that may also give them pause for thought

Edited by Mick50

I have to agree with mick50 there, I think your hair looks really good, you are obviously looking for perfection which is understandable but unrealistic ,your hair is so dense behind the front thinish part that modern hair transpants just cant replicate imo ,I also read your comments about your friends slagging off your hair, in my opinion that's not on, i'd be looking for new friends if I was you. I wish I had hair like yours , you look great to me

Sean,

Per recedingboy's suggestion, Dr. Diep might actually be a very good fit for you. He is all about facial framing. He does all the FUE extractions himself, using a non-motorized punch of his own design. Like Rahal, he makes the recipient slits using beveled surgical needles. You can check out his work on his YouTube channel where he has posted dozens of impressive before-after video FUE results, and often discusses his philosophy and approach to facial framing through cosmetically appealing hairline placement, hairline shape, and temple/sides advancement where appropriate, based on the patient's face shape, ethnicity, etc. Might be worth a consult. He does both Skype consultations and in-person consultations in his Los Gatos, CA office.

Good luck with the completion of your ht journey.

I really hope you get the result you're looking for Sean. Often when people are Norwood 2 they envision getting back their pre hair loss hairline. I understand that feeling well. As one loses more hair the expectation changes and 3000 grafts in the frontal third can leave a lot of people happy.

If I am honest I actually think the hairline design Dr. Rahal came up with was quite aggressive. I do not understand the large forehead comments. I would be more concerned about the donor recovery than the hairline height. While I understand you are chasing a dense hairline going too dense can impact yield. Suffice to say I cannot know why results have been sub optimal but you need to consider the next step very carefully. You have used 4500ish grafts in an area significantly smaller than the frontal third. Perhaps more like the frontal quarter of your scalp.

I am urging you to please consider the ramifications of losing the hair behind it as you do have some thinning in the crown. Medications do not work forever and the only way to put hair permanently on your head is transplantation so you need to consider having enough in reserve to take care of the frontal half.

I wish you all the very best on your journey Sean. Fingers crossed for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hey Sean,

I actually just went to Dr. Diep, im a week and half post op, I did create a thread in the surgeon reviews, ill be updating it as the months progress, his repair portfolio is not that big from what ive seen, but his results are pretty amazing. You can wait and see my results and if you think they look good maybe Dr. Diep would be worth looking in to.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Sean, I've been reading pretty much all of this post, I am your age and was considering a small Fue job (about 1000 grafts) In the end would you recommend Dr Rahal or not? I am not super adamant on a very dense hairline. Thanks

Hey Sean, I've been reading pretty much all of this post, I am your age and was considering a small Fue job (about 1000 grafts) In the end would you recommend Dr Rahal or not? I am not super adamant on a very dense hairline. Thanks

You may want to consider Dr Ron Shapiro, as he produces great natural hairlines with a less aggressive approach than Dr Rahal. 1,000 isn't a significant number of grafts though