shave head and move on.

I'm curious. Did anybody on this forum that were not happy with the results of a Ht just say forget it and shave the head with the scar showing?

If so, Do you have any pics?

I've been requesting info on donor scar tattoos, but nobody on this site appears to have any pics of such, other than links to websites that do the work.

Hi John

i remember reading through your post and your 2nd hair transplant with Dr. Feller....It appears that you dont think the hairline looks natural..However, It looks like you still have a decent amount of hair. Have you considered buzzing your hair short...that might negate the effect of an unnatural hairline...that way, you dont even have to worry about the scar that much and you could also get a FUE into the scar...

I have seen some pictures of shaved head with a scar and the scar will show..you can look at Bills pictures and you will see how it looks...but end of the day, you gotta feel comfortable..if you think you will be better off and will have peace of mind, then go for it...people will like you for your confidence and not worry about a little scar on the back of your head,...if somebody asks you, he can give a heroic story like you were in the army or something and fighting for your country.chicks will love you for that...good luck

Hi John

i remember reading through your post and your 2nd hair transplant with Dr. Feller....It appears that you dont think the hairline looks natural..However, It looks like you still have a decent amount of hair. Have you considered buzzing your hair short...that might negate the effect of an unnatural hairline...that way, you dont even have to worry about the scar that much and you could also get a FUE into the scar...

I have seen some pictures of shaved head with a scar and the scar will show..you can look at Bills pictures and you will see how it looks...but end of the day, you gotta feel comfortable..if you think you will be better off and will have peace of mind, then go for it...people will like you for your confidence and not worry about a little scar on the back of your head,...if somebody asks you, he can give a heroic story like you were in the army or something and fighting for your country.chicks will love you for that...good luck

That is what I want to do. I'm sorry when I say shave, I meant buzz; however, I have 2 scars and the second is really noticable at a 4 clip so I nervous about buzzing down to a 2. I'm going to do it next month though anyway. I'll keep you posted.

yes dude..go for it...i personally think that with a HT, smaller you keep the hair, better it will look...have you considered FUE into your bigger scar. Didnt you have the second surgery with Dr. Feller? I am a little surprised that he created a second scar instead of excising the first one..

Maybe you can talk to him and see if he can FUE your scars....He has a good reputation for FUE and even though he is expensive, maybe he can give you a break and give a discount or something since you already have done a procedure with him...Good luck and keep us posted..

"I am a little surprised that he created a second scar instead of excising the first one.."

His first scar may have been placed too low. That was the case with my two HTs, thus I have 2 scars...

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

yes dude..go for it...i personally think that with a HT, smaller you keep the hair, better it will look...have you considered FUE into your bigger scar. Didnt you have the second surgery with Dr. Feller? I am a little surprised that he created a second scar instead of excising the first one..

Maybe you can talk to him and see if he can FUE your scars....He has a good reputation for FUE and even though he is expensive, maybe he can give you a break and give a discount or something since you already have done a procedure with him...Good luck and keep us posted..

That is what I'm hoping for. He has been out of his office for the last couple of weeks and I'm waiting to hear from him. I originally wanted to tattoo the scar first, then FUE into it, but I get absoulutely no feedback on the tattoo.

John,

I'm sorry you aren't finding the information on micropigmentation/scar tattooing that you're looking for. I've previously discussed this issue with David (TakingThePlunge), and we had some difficultly tracking down concrete information as well. However, you may want to take a look at some of these previous threads. There could be some good information. I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

If you are looking into tattooing, you might give Matt at Dr. Shapiro's office a call. It might be better to email him.

He was telling about a person that does some pretty amazing tattoo work. I don't mean just scars. He tells me that scars are easy. He has seen work of an entire head tattoo that looks like a shaved head with a shadow.

John,

I'm sorry you aren't finding the information on micropigmentation/scar tattooing that you're looking for. I've previously discussed this issue with David (TakingThePlunge), and we had some difficultly tracking down concrete information as well. However, you may want to take a look at some of these previous threads. There could be some good information. I hope this helps!

Thank you!

John,

I also find this process intriguing. As Blake said, we attempted to find some real examples posted by hair transplant patients of scar tattooing and came up empty.

I don't believe I've seen a single example of micropigmentation of the scalp that wasn't posted by those offering the services. And, of those, they all seem to be taken immediately post-procedure up to a few weeks. I'd really like to see what this looks like a few years down the road.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

That is what I'm hoping for. He has been out of his office for the last couple of weeks and I'm waiting to hear from him. I originally wanted to tattoo the scar first, then FUE into it, but I get absoulutely no feedback on the tattoo.

I am in the same situation as you are with 2 strip scars. I did some serious research and came up with a place that can cover up my scars with tattooing in NYC at the Whitney Center for Permanent Cosmetics. The women's name is Melany Whitney she has a great reputation. I have an appointment to go get my 2 scars tattooed in November. Check out the pictures on there website guys shave their heads after getting tattooed into strip scars.

I am shocked to here that you weren't happy going to Dr. Feller and the 2 strip scars. I meet Dr. Feller he told me my 2 old strip scars where to low for him to remove. I'm going with the tattoo into my scars because I want to be able to buzz my hair with a 1 guard again.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Joh, what was your Norwood level and how many grafts were done?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 1 month later...

I am in the same situation as you are with 2 strip scars. I did some serious research and came up with a place that can cover up my scars with tattooing in NYC at the Whitney Center for Permanent Cosmetics. The women's name is Melany Whitney she has a great reputation. I have an appointment to go get my 2 scars tattooed in November. Check out the pictures on there website guys shave their heads after getting tattooed into strip scars.

I am shocked to here that you weren't happy going to Dr. Feller and the 2 strip scars. I meet Dr. Feller he told me my 2 old strip scars where to low for him to remove. I'm going with the tattoo into my scars because I want to be able to buzz my hair with a 1 guard again.

Let me know if you have any iformation.

am also in NYC

Edited by moro

John,

I have been there, done that and what can I say other than that I may have to face that reality again pretty soon. right now, I am growing just enough hair in the right places to put it off. But as for the 'shaving and moving on' it is a cheap but very effective stunt, gambit, call it what you like for the balding guy without strip scars. Reality is that, no one and everyone 'moves on' regardless, but as a -what do they call it?- socio-politik?- posture, it is great. With scars, you never 'move on' if you are working in the big cruel world unless you make your mark. But just trying to cruise through like you don't care - with big ass HT scars, well, I have tried, twice with no tatts, once with. With no tatts, i think I might have been close, but a controlling GF and a few 'mates' got the better of me. With bad tatts, I was shot down in flames at my place of work. I wish it on noboby. My tatts were poor, very poor. THe dots turned to blobs within a year. I was easy meat for those with a taste for it, and there will always be those who do, in any workplace. but saying this, I can add, I don't write off tatts as a useful way to disguise HT scars and I am actively looking around. (now I'm a grower, but I don't assume anything) Why can't they make it decent and prove it to be so. I think the 'industry' is still in its infancy (the HT scar-pigment industry) and I think we should encourage it. When I shave my head clean to the bone, I was happy, happy happy. I felt liberated. I knew I would never pull a girl from a social website, but I had 'my way'. But I lost my balls, after repeated 'warnings' from 'friends'. True, it would have been hard to get a job looking like that. I enjoy my hair now, but truth be known, there is something very, very alluring about having none of it, even though I know many baldies suffer in silence in their own way too.

I would love to I think....my brother is prolly a NW6...I am a NW2/3.....

But my head is really jacked up (a conditions called Cutis Verticus Gyrata). It means a wrinkled scalp. I have it fairly mild but it still is unsightly to shave down...I have no doubt that I would be a complete shave down if I had a normal head....even as a NW2/3...

Alas...my Klingon head keeps me surfing this forum.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...
I have seen people on this site that have just given up and shaved their heads. Not sure why they would do that though?

Not everyone has the wealth to keep spending $$$ on HT that's why a lot guys move on. It's a bad economy if you haven't heard. I would love to know how the HT industries even surviving with their ridiculous prices during these times.

• Moderators
I have seen people on this site that have just given up and shaved their heads. Not sure why they would do that though?

Let's say you spend about $20000 for a 3500 graft session. A year or 2 later you realize you didn't get as much growth as you thought you would (maybe your hair characteristics aren't as good as some of the pictures you see here) and your continued hair loss has put you basically at the same amount of hair you had before you started. Do you pay an additional $20000 for another 3500 session that you now know won't get you to where you want to be? What about if your hair loss continues? You could end up still looking the same a year or 2 later and now you're out $40000 plus all the time in the ugly stage twice waiting for it to grow. Some people in that situation feel they are wasting their good years even more by being in the post HT ugly stage over and over rather than being in the thinning/balding like a normal guy ugly stage. Besides, where do you get the $20000 for the 2nd session when you still have several years to pay for the first $20000?

Reason enough yet to see why some people stop?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Tom60, the previous user (behappy) explained quit good.

Is simple, it you keep losing your hair (normal for 90%) you are not rich, and you dont want to make more damage (scars) to your head you need to stop and find a repair solution.