Will balding crown affect mentality?

I was thinking of getting a ht but leaving out the crown completely, even if it completely thins out. People say the front is the most important because thats where people see you. Is that a good option? Especially for someone with limited donor? Will having a bald spot on the back of head affect my mentality?

Only you know the answer to this question, but the answer for me is yes definitely. For a long time I had basically no recession in my hairline and only a bald spot in my crown and I know I was self-conscious about it. I ended up getting a HT a few months ago that only focused on the crown even though the hairline is recessed, you can read all the reasons why in my thread. A big part of why is because I have a donor that is well above average but it sounds like maybe that doesn't apply to you. 

That said the front is definitely more important aesthetically, so it all comes down to what you want. 

I’ve lost most of both - front hung on for dear life but crown is near nil. 

I did the front first and I’m fairly happy so far. Won’t lie — the shining crown still isn’t pleasant (and I absolutely will attempt to rectify in the future).

hair greed is a thing and the better your front is, the more pronounced crown loss will be. Given that folks tend to have limited donor, it’s best to focus on highest area impact first (e.g. front) before using the rest in crown. 

Edited by Z--

I started losing my crown first, and thought it was much worse than losing the front.

Then, when the front started to go, and every picture of me was looking worse and worse...I realized that losing the front is much, much worse. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, asterix0 said:

Then, when the front started to go, and every picture of me was looking worse and worse...I realized that losing the front is much, much worse. 

yea, I've seen polar opinions to this. It can look much more "natural" to have a non-balding crown and a balding hairline. 

It's culturally acceptable to have receding temples, but having significant loss in the crown can throw people off. 

It's all just very subjective. Even random things such as height can play a role in how someone perceives crown loss. 

Most people are not going to be able to see the crown loss easily of someone who is 6'4", whereas on a shorter man the crown loss will be more observable. 

22 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

yea, I've seen polar opinions to this. It can look much more "natural" to have a non-balding crown and a balding hairline. 

It's culturally acceptable to have receding temples, but having significant loss in the crown can throw people off. 

It's all just very subjective. Even random things such as height can play a role in how someone perceives crown loss. 

Most people are not going to be able to see the crown loss easily of someone who is 6'4", whereas on a shorter man the crown loss will be more observable. 

True. Actually if my hairline just receded to a Norwood 2 with temple loss then I would have never gotten on finasteride or looked to get a transplant.

The problem is, as a diffuse Norwood 6, the entire hairline just disintegrated, became wispy and see through, basically the worst look imaginable. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, SoSoz said:

I was thinking of getting a ht but leaving out the crown completely, even if it completely thins out. People say the front is the most important because thats where people see you. Is that a good option? Especially for someone with limited donor? Will having a bald spot on the back of head affect my mentality?

Can you share pics to give us a better idea? 🙏

This is something that only you can answer, as we all have different mindsets around how hair loss effects us. Some guys have significant hair loss and are at complete peace with it. That said, I do think there's some validity in the approach of focusing on the front to properly frame the face, and then either using fibers in the crown (if you have enough hair there for them to latch onto) OR using a hair piece of some sort in that area? (I'm not knowledgeable on hair pieces, but I've seen guys post them here before and they've definitely improved over the years and can look really good. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Its not natural to have a hairline with severe crown loss. That's why it tricks the brain of most people into the illusion that you have more hair. I'd say its the best strategy for maximum illusion of hair but it has the downside of not looking natural, so after all pretty personal decision.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoSoz said:

Restoring the frontal zone will help tremendously with a positive outlook which will help improve your overall mentality.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

If you present the average person with a man who has no crown loss, yet temporal and frontal loss to the extent of perhaps NW3 (think Henry Cavil) they will not deem him as balding. 

E608D14F-5562-4CE7-87BD-878441DBBF1C.thumb.jpeg.7b5cb220daa0af844d0c54af3b8fd98a.jpeg

If you present the average person with a man who has no frontal or mid scalp loss, yet an evident bald spot (think the infamous ben affleck photo) they will deem him as balding. 

12C141E2-3957-4B72-8BFA-7F6F49B61273.jpeg.c99dd39025c37f2f40fe24ba28286ccc.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Well Done 1

16 hours ago, Curious25 said:

If you present the average person with a man who has no crown loss, yet temporal and frontal loss to the extent of perhaps NW3 (think Henry Cavil) they will not deem him as balding. 

E608D14F-5562-4CE7-87BD-878441DBBF1C.thumb.jpeg.7b5cb220daa0af844d0c54af3b8fd98a.jpeg

If you present the average person with a man who has no frontal or mid scalp loss, yet an evident bald spot (think the infamous ben affleck photo) they will deem him as balding. 

12C141E2-3957-4B72-8BFA-7F6F49B61273.jpeg.c99dd39025c37f2f40fe24ba28286ccc.jpeg

This. So much this. I felt like I was the only one on this forum who felt crown loss was much worse than a receding hairline. Nobody considers a man with a receding hairline bald, but everyone who sees a man with a bald crown would consider that man bald or balding, regardless of what the front of his hair looked like. Bald spots make people bald, not recession. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

This. So much this. I felt like I was the only one on this forum who felt crown loss was much worse than a receding hairline. Nobody considers a man with a receding hairline bald, but everyone who sees a man with a bald crown would consider that man bald or balding, regardless of what the front of his hair looked like. Bald spots make people bald, not recession. 

if cavill balds beyond norwood 3 it will be different though

a fair comparison would be affleck vs jude law

• Like 1

For me I would say that my crown at times bothered me more than my hairline and both were practically gone.

You will want hair where you don’t have it when it comes to your scalp. And the denser your hairline and mid scalp is will just make a bald crown stand out more.

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

26 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

if cavill balds beyond norwood 3 it will be different though

a fair comparison would be affleck vs jude law

Jude Law has substantially more hair loss upfront than Affleck has on its crown. If you want to use Law as a comparison then you’d have to find someone who has a completely bald crown to compare him to. And I’d rather have Law’s hair over a bald crown any day. 

@SoSoz,

Everybofy has a unique opinion on this matter and even though most hair transplant surgeons and patients agree that the primary focus should be restoring the hairline and the front of the scalp, there are still many patients who are exceptionally insecure about their thinning or bald crown.

So at the end of the day, it’s important that you discuss your primary concerns with your selected surgeon and come up with a short and long-term harassers a plan that you feel confident to be part of her

so at the end of the day, it’s important that you discuss your primary concerns with your selected surgeon and come up with a short and long-term harassers your plan that you feel confident to be part of.

Long story short, if you felt the need to create this topic then restoring the crown is very likely an important part of your  overall hair restoration  solution.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Moderators

My hair loss started in my crown, so my crown has always been an issue for me. I had a visibly thinning crown at 15 years old and by 16 I was combing my hair back to try to cover it. Once I started losing hair in the front, that became a big issue as well. After that, for me, there isn't one area that is really more important than another area. I wouldn't look right with a thick. low hair line and a big huge, bald NW 7 crown. I also wouldn't look right with a full crown and nothing up front, so I think both areas matter. I've noticed over the years that most men who say they aren't worried about the crown usually don't have much thinning there when they say that and then almost always come back later and want to fill in the crown once it gets worse.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

The general public will see the crown loss as balding and more likely to crack jokes about that one.Because it just makes you older. And there is some truth to it. If you are balding in the crown under age 40, its likely you will progress to a higher NW eventually. 

Edited by Mike10

Using Henry Cavill as an example just doesn't make sense, the guy is a ripped actor and one of the most handsome guys in the world. Some recession with a thick forelock won't affect him too much.

image.png.b106f897590481d7de601b1cadb4c27b.png

Walking around with this hairline to me would be a lot worse than a thinning crown for the average guy.

image.png.8b0cf3541fcb239eababedd6c7ed8bbb.png

17 hours ago, asterix0 said:

Using Henry Cavill as an example just doesn't make sense, the guy is a ripped actor and one of the most handsome guys in the world. Some recession with a thick forelock won't affect him too much.

image.png.b106f897590481d7de601b1cadb4c27b.png

Walking around with this hairline to me would be a lot worse than a thinning crown for the average guy.

image.png.8b0cf3541fcb239eababedd6c7ed8bbb.png

It is not a fair example because this guy has exceeded NW3.