1935 graft FUE hair transplant NW2 Dr mwamba Brussels

11 minutes ago, knivesout09 said:

No small amount ~1300

That's crazy to me they took so long for ~1300. How much time was the surgery itself?

I went to Mwamba in April and they did 3700 in 3 days, although the first day was only ~100 grafts as a test after all of the prep work. The second day was 1900 over 4 sessions (from 8 am - 11 am, 12 pm - 3 pm, 4 pm - 7 pm, 8 pm - 11 pm) and the third day was 1700 over 3 sessions (12 pm - 3 pm, 5 pm - 8 pm, 9 pm - 12:30 am). Even then I felt they could have been a lot more efficient, but at least the time from extraction > implantation was incredibly rapid. 

Did Mwamba do all the work himself, or did Dr. Ali assist too?

19 hours ago, DutchHair said:

That's crazy to me they took so long for ~1300. How much time was the surgery itself?

I went to Mwamba in April and they did 3700 in 3 days, although the first day was only ~100 grafts as a test after all of the prep work. The second day was 1900 over 4 sessions (from 8 am - 11 am, 12 pm - 3 pm, 4 pm - 7 pm, 8 pm - 11 pm) and the third day was 1700 over 3 sessions (12 pm - 3 pm, 5 pm - 8 pm, 9 pm - 12:30 am). Even then I felt they could have been a lot more efficient, but at least the time from extraction > implantation was incredibly rapid. 

20 hours ago, knivesout09 said:

No small amount ~1300

I wonder why 1300 grafts for a straightforward run-of-the-mill HT needs to be multiple days. There really is no reason for that. @knivesout09 did Dr. Mwamba give a reason this needed to be multiple days? 

I personally had surgery with Dr. Mwamba last yr and it was 3 days for roughly 3k grafts.  I am having surgery with him next month for 1 day and roughly 2k grafts. Mwamba seemed super confident that he could do all this in one very long day. 

• Administrators

7 months is still early, there’s still plenty of time for more growth and thickening.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, knivesout09 said:

I think we started at 11am and then went to 2 am the next morning.

That's not acceptable in my opinion. Yield will be lower because grafts are out for too long. You may also need more unnecessary anesthesia if it wears off. Also put a lot stress and fatigue on your body.

28 minutes ago, baldfighter said:

That's not acceptable in my opinion. Yield will be lower because grafts are out for too long. You may also need more unnecessary anesthesia if it wears off. Also put a lot stress and fatigue on your body.

agreed...I had 4,000 grafts over 5 days and it took all day and night over these 5 days, anesthesia did wear off and I needed more, and I'm unhappy with results

Let’s all pump the brakes here I still have 5 months to go and although I do think results aren’t what I expected at this point I have to be patient and know there’s sometimes cases that grow way later then anticipated i remember it being long days but don’t know much about how long grafts can be in the solution and survival etc I like the hairline design I like the fact that my donor still look’s pristine so if my result grows in more I will be satisfied if it doesn’t on the other hand I will talk with the doctor about this and hope for a solution 

• Like 3

On 6/11/2023 at 5:21 PM, DutchHair said:

Can you please let me know if you remember how much time the hair follicles stays outside the scalp in average Thanks ?

On 6/12/2023 at 5:09 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

7 months is still early, there’s still plenty of time for more growth and thickening.

Hello Melvin,

I have an HT with Mwamba in August and I am concerned to see people complaining with the poor growth Yield. What's are your thoughts on this, maybe Dr. MWAMBA should be notified about the issues so he can adress them quickly. Would it be the long surgery hours that lead to this ?

Thanks

On 6/13/2023 at 2:52 AM, hairywannabe said:

You will find more disappointing results from patients the last 6 months on Reddit too. He is really bad when it comes too growth yield 

1 hour ago, Maballack said:

Hello Melvin,

I have an HT with Mwamba in August and I am concerned to see people complaining with the poor growth Yield. What's are your thoughts on this, maybe Dr. MWAMBA should be notified about the issues so he can adress them quickly. Would it be the long surgery hours that lead to this ?

Thanks

@Melvin- Moderator

31 minutes ago, Maballack said:

Can you please let me know if you remember how much time the hair follicles stays outside the scalp in average Thanks ?

For me I'd say there was really no point the follicles were outside my scalp for longer than 3 hours at an absolute maximum. Since my surgery was broken down into mini-sections, the vast majority of follicles were out and then back in relatively quickly (1 hour) -- longer times happened when they needed to hunt for single grafts for temples and hairline.

I think it will vary by surgery, day, patient, etc. so interesting to hear others' experiences. But I don't have any results yet since it is too early.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Maballack said:

I don’t think notifying him this early sets a good precedent. He already responded to both of the threads that were posted. RTC has been in communication and even discussed what Dr. Mwamba said regarding his case in his last post. He gave detailed responses in Ajamilo thread. This result isn’t finished growing, so we shouldn’t get ahead of ourselves and claim this is poor growth just yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

On 6/14/2023 at 9:32 AM, Maballack said:

Hello Melvin,

Thanks

@Melvin- Moderator

SmartSelect_20230616_124151_Chrome.jpg

@Maballack while I may actually agree behind the hypothesis that leaving grafts out too long can hurt the yield, I do have to question the accuracy of the infographic you provided. 

I would say that in general getting 79% growth yield is a good result. In general as long as a liberal amount of grafts are used and there are no donor availability concerns for the future, I think most patients would objectively be happy with 79% growth.

I have no clue really, but I feel leaving grafts out for a full 24 hours would have a super poor yield like 30% or below. 

Are there any doctors out there that actually leave grafts out for a full 24 hours? I am unaware of any who do this this, so I wonder how this data was extracted in the first place. 

• Administrators

I don't believe there is any concrete scientific evidence to substantiate the claims of this graph. As far as I'm aware, there haven't been any studies that compare the growth between time out of the body. Over a decade ago, when Hasson and Wong were doing megasession strip surgeries, the grafts would be out of the body for over 12 hours, and the growth was excellent. So I don't believe you can make blanket statements that time out of body automatically equals less growth.

View my thread

2 hours ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

That said, there are multiple options for storing grafts prior to implantation (i.e fluids to store them in). You'd think that there would be probably some difference to outcomes, but as you say, it's difficult to know exactly where the thresholds are.

What I don't understand is that the time between the extraction and implantation is very crucial and should be less than 4 hours for 90% growth and at the same time follicles implanted will still need 5 days to connect with the blood supply to receive Oxygen. At least for me I am going to maximise the ATP spray after the surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching closely, I was also considering a transplant with Dr. Mwamba.

He used to get great reviews however over the past year it seems to be nothing but negative. 

Edited by SeanToman