Should you tell your colleagues and manager that you had a HT in the workplace

Hi All,

I have had a FUE around 1.5 years, around the Hairline/temples, and little bit on the crown during covid. Post covid, now, we are called to office once in a while, and soon to be started on a daily basis. I was just wondering, if we should be telling our manager/colleagues that we have had a HT. The thoughts/these questions are distressing me. Am i going to be accepted telling them about the HT or will they judge me wrong. What if they look at my hairline and question me in front of many people? Will i be ridiculed in front of other team mates?

@Gatsby  @Melvin- Moderator @Karan Chawla @pkipling @ciaus@asterix0 @Berba11

46 minutes ago, Viper1991 said:

Hi All,

I have had a FUE around 1.5 years, around the Hairline/temples, and little bit on the crown during covid. Post covid, now, we are called to office once in a while, and soon to be started on a daily basis. I was just wondering, if we should be telling our manager/colleagues that we have had a HT. The thoughts/these questions are distressing me. Am i going to be accepted telling them about the HT or will they judge me wrong. What if they look at my hairline and question me in front of many people? Will i be ridiculed in front of other team mates?

dude wtf you talking about? if they ask you tell them that you did, if they dont ask dont tell them anything. Ridiculed in front of other people because you had an ht? work on your insecurities or go see a psychologist.

• Like 5

• Administrators

It’s up to you. You don’t have to say anything. If you can conceal it during work, do that. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Viper1991 said:

Hi All,

I think you answered your own question by asking it. Not many people care enough to notice most of the time. Someone could get a haircut and probably 80% of the people around them will even notice. The mental image you hold for your self that others view you as is skewed because youre thinking about it from your point of view. Think of another coworker in your position who went through the process. Would you mock someone, or would you mind your own business?

• Like 2

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

41 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

It’s up to you. You don’t have to say anything. If you can conceal it during work, do that. 

If you are concealing it. Then you are hiding something from the crowd. And your self-confidence reduces when you are trying to hide something from opposite person. What do you think.

3 hours ago, Viper1991 said:

Hi All,

I appreciate not wanting others noticing, doesn't necessarily mean you have serious self confidence issues. That's why I got smaller procedures instead of waiting to do one big one. 

Go get some honest opinions from random strangers in a nearby area store/etc, with similar lighting as your office. Just briefly introduce yourself, and ask for a second to get their quick opinion. But wait until they agree before you tell them what the opinion is about so they can look at you without knowing for sure you've had a hair transplant. When they say yes, in a friendly relaxed manner indicating you can handle the truth, tell them you had the procedure done during lockdown and you're looking for honest opinions on how detectable the work is. This could also help make you more comfortable and capable of talking about the hair transplant if someone at work asks you. Unless you get some opinions that its noticeable, you should be fine not telling anyone.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Viper1991 said:

If you are concealing it. Then you are hiding something from the crowd. And your self-confidence reduces when you are trying to hide something from opposite person. What do you think.

That’s true, it’s a personal decision. If you want to be honest go for it. In the end, they’ll probably realize you did something when you have more hair.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I'm firmly in the "Mind your business!" camp and you don't need to tell them jack. 

Some people may choose to tell but that's a completely personal choice and you should NEVER feel pressured into making a choice. If you're feeling pressured, then imo it's got wrong written all over the situation. 

Your HT was 1.5 years ago and should be fully matured and looking great. Just go in, do your thing and ignore people's inquisition with deflection if you want. 

Literally every person I've told about it thinks it's cool.  It usually goes one of two ways:

1.  Wait, what?  You didn't need a hair transplant.  But it looks great.

2.  Wow, I was thinking of doing one as well.  (Proceed to ask tons of questions which I'm happy to answer).

Ridicule?  For what, having extra money to spend on bettering yourself?  That's silly, nobody sound of mind would think of ridiculing you.  That's like ridiculing someone who got braces.  

• Like 3

Check out my journey here:

I probably echo what majority has said… it’s up to you

Just act normal like nothing changed. 
people who might ask would be the ones losing hair (imo) and if they genuinely interested and you want to help them, tell them. 

be confident about your decisions and choices. If you believe you did the right thing then they will too (if they don’t, don’t give a F***)

all the best

• Like 1

And don’t style your hair too nicely, grow some beard (if you already had beard then shave it maybe) for first couple of weeks. Maybe that will help in not drawing too much attention to your hair  or divert their attention. 

10 hours ago, Viper1991 said:

Hi All,

In my opinion there is no need to tell them. We tend to notice our hair loss much more than other people notice it, unless you had some drastic transformation like Norwood 6 back to Norwood 1 I bet that no one will think any different at all.

Remember, for many people the difference between a single Norwood level can be no different than a bad haircut. Certainly before I started balding this is how I thought of it, I remember thinking hmm it's weird that some people have bigger foreheads than others when I looked at a Norwood 3 guy vs a Norwood 1 guy.

• Valued Contributor

@Viper1991 are you happy in yourself with the results? If so I don't see any reason to not feel happy about people seeing your results. In fact most people are generally going to be feeling the same about having to go back to the office that they will only be focusing on themselves. You will be surprised that if people notice that they will most likely compliment you on it. However I think most people may not really notice that you've had a hair transplant. When I had mine in India I only told my best friend at work. I wore a cap for a month before surgery and when I went back to work not one person commented on my hair. All the best.

Edited by Gatsby
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, NARMAK said:

I'm firmly in the "Mind your business!" camp and you don't need to tell them jack. 

Some people may choose to tell but that's a completely personal choice and you should NEVER feel pressured into making a choice. If you're feeling pressured, then imo it's got wrong written all over the situation. 

Your HT was 1.5 years ago and should be fully matured and looking great. Just go in, do your thing and ignore people's inquisition with deflection if you want. 

Yes. The hairline has fully matured. I have been meeting my office guys already since 6 months like once a month. No one has ever asked me anything with the way i style my hairline, but when ever i talk to someone or meeting people on the floor, i have the fear.  And because of that i feel, why i have done this in the first place, to feel this way. Is this feeling/thinking permanent?

7 hours ago, Fue3361 said:

Literally every person I've told about it thinks it's cool.  It usually goes one of two ways:

2.  Wow, I was thinking of doing one as well.  (Proceed to ask tons of questions which I'm happy to answer).

Ridicule?  For what, having extra money to spend on bettering yourself?  That's silly, nobody sound of mind would think of ridiculing you.  That's like ridiculing someone who got braces.  

Mine was exactly your case brother. Got my hair line and temples. Is it only me who is thinking this way? That people are noticing my hairline when i talk to them? Are you feeling the same? I feel i am carrying something on my head, and others are all normal, and natural. I feel i have an unnatural hairline, and others all have it natural and are fear less. Whats wrong with me? Do i have to live this way for the rest of my life?

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

@Viper1991 are you happy in yourself with the results? If so I don't see any reason to not feel happy about people seeing your results. In fact most people are generally going to be feeling the same about having to go back to the office that they will only be focusing on themselves. You will be surprised that if people notice that they will most likely compliment you on it. However I think most people may not really notice that you've had a hair transplant. When I had mine in Turkey I only told my best friend at work. I wore a cap for a month before surgery and when I went back to work not one person commented on my hair. All the best.

I am happy with the result, as the hairline has come out well. But deep down, i know its not a natural hairline, and it is the surgical hair that has been kept in the front. When i watch closely with the mirror, the transplanted hair looks evident. I have already been going to office since 6 months every now and then, and nobody has said anything with the way i style it. But do i have to live with this uncomfortable feeling for the rest of my life.? When i look at others, they all have natural hairline, and i have this feeling that i have HT hairline with me.

2 hours ago, Viper1991 said:

Mine was exactly your case brother. Got my hair line and temples. Is it only me who is thinking this way? That people are noticing my hairline when i talk to them? Are you feeling the same? I feel i am carrying something on my head, and others are all normal, and natural. I feel i have an unnatural hairline, and others all have it natural and are fear less. Whats wrong with me? Do i have to live this way for the rest of my life?

You're letting small things get into your head.  You'll only feel like this if you keep allowing yourself to get into that headspace.  Just embrace it.  Learn to enjoy your new improved self.  

And if you're not able to, maybe telling people will help you get over it.  The positive affirmation that it's all in your head always helps.

• Like 2

Check out my journey here:

4 hours ago, Viper1991 said:

Yes. The hairline has fully matured. I have been meeting my office guys already since 6 months like once a month. No one has ever asked me anything with the way i style my hairline, but when ever i talk to someone or meeting people on the floor, i have the fear.  And because of that i feel, why i have done this in the first place, to feel this way. Is this feeling/thinking permanent?

I think that's an individual thing for you to work through in all honesty. Nobody can say whether it's permanent but it can be due to perhaps how you're viewing things. 

You already said you been seeing people for 6 months and nobody said anything, so bringing it up now imo is unnecessary and you should simply enjoy the fruits of your transformation and not feel like you have to tell people. If they asked specifically, then that's up to you to decide if you feel comfortable to share or deflect. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fue3361 said:

This lmao. It's mostly in our heads.

I have no idea what job people here are working at, but most white-collar folks at a reputable place will respond in the above. I've had at least 5 different people respond this way. All are very supportive.

Women tended to be more surprised. Men tended to ask more questions and talk about their own loss. All were cool about it regardless of gender.

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor
8 hours ago, Viper1991 said:

You just need to get over it. Go in to work. If people ask or query something, tell them. If not, then no need (unless you want to). I’ve been open about my HT because the stress of trying to conceal it seems pointless. Of those that I occasionally see that I haven’t told, the only reactions I’ve had is “I like your haircut!” and “you look well, have you lost weight?” 😅 (I haven’t lost weight!). 

This matters to you 100000x more than it matters to anyone else. 

• Like 1

Viper,

What you ultimately decide to tell your boss and coworkers is totally up to you especially if you’ve already had your hair transplant and the hair has grown in.  What I would probably do is wait for somebody to say something to me and then tell them about my procedure and experience. Frankly, most people probably won’t even be able to pinpoint the fact that you’ve had a hair transplant I just noticed that something about it was different and looks better.  Truthfully, most people probably won’t even say anything and just wonder. Others may be bold enough to ask you straight out. It all depends on an individual’s personality.

Watch a bit more difficult is what to tell your boss and employers as to what you’re doing and where you’re going prior to her transplant because when you return to work, something clearly be different because you’ll be only a couple weeks postop.  But that’s not the case here so it’s something to be discussed on the other topic.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Time to reevaluate your perspective of life at this moment. Big.

Do whatever you want to do and own it, just as any winner in any area of life does.

I personally never have the intention to lie, as even small amounts of lying creates a spiraling downward of life and happiness. So anytime anyone asks me "Did you have a HT?" my answer is always a firm "Yes, I did."

• Like 2

On 10/17/2022 at 12:30 PM, Fue3361 said:

This is exactly my experience. We tend to overestimate how much people care about whether any of us got a hair transplant or not. I have never met one single person who didn’t think it was either cool in some way, fascinated by it and wanted to know more about it for themselves or a friend, OR they just simply didn’t care or give it a second thought. 

It seems a lot of guys around here are afraid of looking “weak/insecure” for getting a hair transplant… But the irony is that whether or not you get a hair transplant isn’t indicative of confidence. What’s confident is owning your choice and not caring what other people think. 

If you have hair loss and didn’t like and took steps to resolve it by getting a hair transplant, be in ownership of that decision… And then confidently tell people or don’t… Whatever *you* want feel is right for yourself. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56