How do I fix this TERRIBLE hair transplant?

Excuse me for being so direct, but , you come here for help, and everyone is doing it, reassuring you and giving you some advice, but you don't return the favor to the community by keeping the surgeon's name secret, It's not like that! I however, would have a suspicion about the "reputable" surgeon from Istanbul who performed your procedure, is he R.Y.?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ITA said:

Excuse me for being so direct, but , you come here for help, and everyone is doing it, reassuring you and giving you some advice, but you don't return the favor to the community by keeping the surgeon's name secret, It's not like that! I however, would have a suspicion about the "reputable" surgeon from Istanbul who performed your procedure, is he R.Y.?

The main point of my post is mainly to seek advice. I promise I will do a thorough review and say who performed it soon.

If I'm honest, part of the reason  I haven't exposed who this is because I want to give them an opportunity to rectify it and see how they handle it from their own professional ethics perspective. The added pressure of having their name blown up might just show they only react to publicity, not out of professional integrity. On a personal level, I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place because I might need them to repair it due to the price it would cost with other truly reputable Dr's. 

8 minutes ago, Konfue said:

The main point of my post is mainly to seek advice. I promise I will do a thorough review and say who performed it soon.

If I'm honest, part of the reason  I haven't exposed who this is because I want to give them an opportunity to rectify it and see how they handle it from their own professional ethics perspective. The added pressure of having their name blown up might just show they only react to publicity, not out of professional integrity. On a personal level, I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place because I might need them to repair it due to the price it would cost with other truly reputable Dr's. 

Your donor looks completely fine , and tbh I would not even think about going back , that just common sense . I would save up and go to a good repair doctor like mwamba . Repairs are difficult jobs and going to back to the person who botched you is something That should be out of the question

Edited by sukh123
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor

If they were a reputable doctor they would be on this forum right now explaining just exactly what happened and how they will fix it. By sharing their name you will be saving another person from going through exactly what you have! You will be performing a service to others and paying it forward so to speak. Trust me. Do not go back to them because they are a cheap option to try and fix there work. It was going to Turkey for a cheaper hair transplant that got you into this problem. Going for a cheap option to fix it would be akin to trying to dig yourself out of a hole with a shovel. Now as to the results they are nowhere as bad as you or others here on the forum are perceiving them. The hairline height from the midpoint to the glabella is 7cm which, with the amount of hair you have, is more than acceptable. A repair would be very straight forward (and the most common one that we see). You may have some of the grafts removed and then recycled into singles and re implanted. I do hear you in how it has affected you mentally and as my early surgery years ago did to me. I highly recommend that you speak with a therapist to help you through this. I did when I was butchered at a very young age (18!!!) and it probably saved my life at the time. It also helped me to not only feel better about myself but it also helped me transcend my scars, etc and get on with my life, way back then, until we have the surgeons and technology and skills for hair loss that we do today. Feel free to reach out to me with a DM if you need to. We are all here for you. My best advice is to wait and save up until you can afford to have the minor surgery required to get this thing right for you. Wishing you all the best!

DSCF0590.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Konfue said:

don't get a repair from them

your situation is not dire. it's not great, but not dire. don't make it worse with the same surgeon who messed you up in the first place

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

IMO it doesn't look great, but it's far from awful either. Definitely not worth having any dark thoughts over my man 

agree. 

OP I am a repair patient myself and can tell you that even if I just had one single, unnatural looking hair, it would send me down an obsessive rabbit hole. 

Anything, no matter how small, that gives an unnatural appearance on one's body, I think anyone has a right to feel however they want about it. Especially because this is on your scalp and not a part of your body hidden by clothing. 

That being said, I do think some perspective is in order and will help you feel less bad about all of this. 

There are many people with botched HTs whose results are so bad their hair is basically deformed and they need to wear a hat 24/7. There are also many people who have been damaged so badly that they cannot even be repaired. 

Also consider the fact that the vast vast vast majority of HT patients need 2+ surgeries for a long-term, permanently good result. 

Your repair is fairly minor in the grand scheme of HT repairs. Your hair does not look weird or deformed. You have only had 1 surgery thus far, so just consider this repair surgery to be your 2nd touch-up. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HappyMan2021 said:

agree. 

OP I am a repair patient myself and can tell you that even if I just had one single, unnatural looking hair, it would send me down an obsessive rabbit hole. 

Anything, no matter how small, that gives an unnatural appearance on one's body, I think anyone has a right to feel however they want about it. Especially because this is on your scalp and not a part of your body hidden by clothing. 

That being said, I do think some perspective is in order and will help you feel less bad about all of this. 

There are many people with botched HTs whose results are so bad their hair is basically deformed and they need to wear a hat 24/7. There are also many people who have been damaged so badly that they cannot even be repaired. 

Also consider the fact that the vast vast vast majority of HT patients need 2+ surgeries for a long-term, permanently good result. 

Your repair is fairly minor in the grand scheme of HT repairs. Your hair does not look weird or deformed. You have only had 1 surgery thus far, so just consider this repair surgery to be your 2nd touch-up. 

Just out of curiosity, how is it that Dr's end up placing doubles or triples in the hairline? Is it not clear once the follicle is extracted that it is either a single, double or triple? Does it just come down to lazy/shoddy work or not having enough singles for the hairline? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Just out of curiosity, how is it that Dr's end up placing doubles or triples in the hairline? Is it not clear once the follicle is extracted that it is either a single, double or triple? Does it just come down to lazy/shoddy work or not having enough singles for the hairline?

I personally am not a subject matter expert in the specifics of singles vs multiples. 

But I think from a very high level, its really apathetic and ignorant doctors who have no clue of what they are doing. Hair transplants have a low barrier of entry, so you can find yourself with a "HT doc" and techs who still don't even know not to place multiples in the hairline. 

Also not using microscopes to see multiples vs singles can cause it. 

But....there are cases of multiples in the hairline from even well-known doctors. And multiples in the hairline even when the techs are using microscopes. 

So idk overall I would say its a mixture of lack of training (for the crap doctors) and apathy and not giving a sh*t (when well-known docs are responsible)

Edited by HappyMan2021

20 hours ago, Konfue said:

What’s really surprising is your immediate  post op photos look good. I would have expected a good result. 

your donor is exceptional. If you go to a quality surgeon for your second operation, you will be very happy with your results.

Edited by shiba1985

Ironically everyone thinks this was a cheaper clinic. It cost me $4k US with a $250 euro discount for coming in short notice when they had an opening (paid twice that for the quick flight premium). I've sent my pictures to inquire about repairs and some clinics even thought this was a $1k HT

On 7/16/2022 at 2:53 PM, HappyMan2021 said:

never go to the same place for a repair....even if they offer it for free. 

For the 1st surgery, best case assume the doc and techs gave their A+ effort on you, and still came up short. Worst case they didn't give a sh*t about you and didn't put any effort into your surgery.

In either scenario - would you want to go back to the same clinic?

I've never done a repair but that's probably a bit too dogmatic for me... The way I see it, all doctors make mistakes but if they made a mistake, I'd like to know why they made a mistake, how they intend to ensure the next transplant isn't a failure, and maybe get a second opinion. Like I remember reading a Konior story about a patient with a failed transplant and he suspected they might have LPP. In order to ensure the transplant succeeded, he tried to eliminate the potential issue before attempting a full transplant. 

If they were one of the best clinics in the world before the bad transplant, then they will remain one of the best clinics in the world after the transplant. If I was offered a free repair from someone like Couto or Konior, I would gladly take it. The best clinics in the world still make mistakes and one of the best things about them is that they stand by their work and will fix it for you at no cost to you. 

23 minutes ago, Konfue said:

Ironically everyone thinks this was a cheaper clinic. It cost me $4k US with a $250 euro discount for coming in short notice when they had an opening (paid twice that for the quick flight premium). I've sent my pictures to inquire about repairs and some clinics even thought this was a $1k HT

That is a cheaper clinic imo. $1/graft is pretty cheap isn't it... That's like hair mill territory I'd imagine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deeznuts said:

That is a cheaper clinic imo. $1/graft is pretty cheap isn't it... That's like hair mill territory I'd imagine. 

Yeah I suppose you're right. What would be considered a hair mill here like Dr. "C"  was quoting about 1700 USD give or take. The reputable Dr's in Istanbul don't seem to charge that much more than that. The Dr. did the implantation himself, I figured that would've been a good sign. 

Edited by Konfue

19 hours ago, Gatsby said:

If they were a reputable doctor they would be on this forum right now explaining just exactly what happened and how they will fix it. By sharing their name you will be saving another person from going through exactly what you have! You will be performing a service to others and paying it forward so to speak. Trust me. Do not go back to them because they are a cheap option to try and fix there work. It was going to Turkey for a cheaper hair transplant that got you into this problem. Going for a cheap option to fix it would be akin to trying to dig yourself out of a hole with a shovel. Now as to the results they are nowhere as bad as you or others here on the forum are perceiving them. The hairline height from the midpoint to the glabella is 7cm which, with the amount of hair you have, is more than acceptable. A repair would be very straight forward (and the most common one that we see). You may have some of the grafts removed and then recycled into singles and re implanted. I do hear you in how it has affected you mentally and as my early surgery years ago did to me. I highly recommend that you speak with a therapist to help you through this. I did when I was butchered at a very young age (18!!!) and it probably saved my life at the time. It also helped me to not only feel better about myself but it also helped me transcend my scars, etc and get on with my life, way back then, until we have the surgeons and technology and skills for hair loss that we do today. Feel free to reach out to me with a DM if you need to. We are all here for you. My best advice is to wait and save up until you can afford to have the minor surgery required to get this thing right for you. Wishing you all the best!

Thank you. I appreciate the thoughtful comment and advice. I'm writing up a review of my experience right now and will post it soon. Definitely don't want someone else to go through the same. 

Edited by Konfue

I've read all comments and here's my opinion.

HT itself doesn't look terrible, but it's far from being great.

- Too straight hairline (almost no microirregularities)

- Loads of multi hair units in the very front (I understand few doubles, but triples in there is simply not acceptable. The excuse of "sleeping graft" is BS as the whole reason why everyone is using microscopes is exactly this, to see whether there's another "hidden" hair growing out of what looks like a single. So they simply didn't do their work properly (and it seems whoever was sorting grafts, or even implanting couldn't care less what he does as even after implanting few grafts surely the surgeon would see its a double or triple!)

- the worst part of them all is the grafts seem to be implanted in a steep angles, something I between 45-90 degrees. If you look at your post-op (roughly 2 weeks), you can see the difference in native hair growth directions and transplanted. Very poor work and its something that's almost impossible to fix.

My suggestion - STAY AWAY FROM THAT PLACE. I do understand budget, but what's the logic to go back to someone who clearly has no clue how to perform a good Hair Transplant? How can one who made a bad one repair it? According to him, this looks good! What kind of repair would you get? More grafts at incorrect angles and more "sleeping" grafts at the front?

Try your best to save up as much as you can and start sending pics to other good doctors for their opinion and repair plan. Don't do the same mistake twice.

Oh, and also. NEVER TRUST ANY RECOMENDED LIST. Do your own research. What's "good looking" for one can be awful for another. Find someone who consistently does one after another transplants are are literally indistinguishable from nature. The ones where you can't see where native hair finishes and transplanted hair starts.

If you find yourself trying to find excuses or justifications for any possible bad thing you see in some results - don't. If you see it, others will too.

One last thing - "only us focused on HT will see" - biggest lie. I've done my fair share of experiments with people who have no clue about transplants showing some pics and videos and every single time they find something odd.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

• Administrators

If this is a recommended clinic please disclose the name. It’s our duty to make sure they’re standing by their work. Are they recommended here?

• Like 5

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

This really wouldn’t quantify as being ‘terrible’ in my books, without knowing the graft count and the state of your hair loss beforehand, I’m going to assume survival rate has been ok, and your donor from the pics you have provided doesn’t look bad either.

It’s just not a good hair transplant - but is a relatively easy fix, you could strategically place singles and finer grouped hairs to soften the harsh appearance, or even go one step further and look to redistribute the multi grafts and then re-implant softer and single hairs into the hairline area, which would be more costly, require more than one surgery, and only a select handful of doctors would likely agree to do this - but maybe you would prefer to opt for this. 

Anyway, despite it not being terrible, it’s certainly a result that no reputable doctor would leave you with, therefore if there’s only one take away from my post, it should be, don’t go back to this clinic, because they are clearly not very good at what they do for a living. 

There’s a nice thread on here from a blonde US patient who had a very good similar to your hairline repair from a US dr I really can’t recollect  ? However @Melvin- Moderator has featured his results quite frequently, so hopefully he know who I am referring to and can share the thread as an example.