FUE is Better Than FUT Now- Dr. Hasson

• Administrators

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, trynagetaHT said:

Do you think this applies for young balders/people going to NW7 as well?

It depends on the situation, if you have good scalp laxity and don’t mind a scar, then FUT may be a better option.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Great interview - thank you for this. The only question I was hoping he would answer is if starting FUT first would yield greater amount of grafts/hairs overtime. Previously that was always my thought but now he's mentioning more hairs survive via well performed FUE. My gut says starting FUT first and then FUE after still maximizing the most out of a donor but FUE is definitely less invasive. 

Edited by brian6829M

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, brian6829M said:

Great interview - thank you for this. The only question I was hoping he would answer is if starting FUT first would yield greater amount of grafts/hairs overtime. Previously that was always my thought but now he's mentioning more hairs survive via well performed FUE. My gut says starting FUT first and then FUE after still maximizing the most out of a donor but FUE is definitely less invasive. 

I think it depends on scalp laxity. If you have a really elastic scalp it may be better to go FUT first. But if it isn't very lax, then going FUE first may be a better option. 

• Like 1

View my thread

Sounds like he's saying that good motorized punches are enabling them to do good FUEs, because manual punches are just too time consuming...but European doctors have been doing large FUEs with manual punches for many years. FUE has been the standard for good European doctors for, what, over a decade now? I just don't understand why the "best" American clinic is so far behind.

Go with FUE and avoid that long linear scar.  The FUE scarring is hardly discernible months after surgery.

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators
22 hours ago, shadowcast said:

Sounds like he's saying that good motorized punches are enabling them to do good FUEs, because manual punches are just too time consuming...but European doctors have been doing large FUEs with manual punches for many years. FUE has been the standard for good European doctors for, what, over a decade now? I just don't understand why the "best" American clinic is so far behind.

Who says manual punches are the best? And who says the best European doctors use a manual punch. As far as I’m aware, the only one still using manual punches is Dr. Lorenzo, he’s no longer considered the best. Cuoto, De Freitas, Bisanga, have past him up IMO. 

View my thread

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, civic said:

Very educating, thanks for this info! 

Much more to come with the new podcast.

• Like 1

View my thread

Always great to hear from the best doctors. If you ever questioned the ethics of h&w all you needed to hear to dispel that was in this interview when Dr. Hassan mentioned the fact that they bought the extremely expensive Artas machine but never used it on a patient because they realized it was garbage. You don’t use patients as experiments. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I remember the long debates related to FUT versus FUE and was heavily involved in them myself.

My position several years ago was that FUE was becoming increasingly popular and advancing and that while there was still a place for a FUT, leading FUE surgeons were dramatically improving FUE so much in fact that the results were practically on par with that of FUT/strip.

Several years later, highly skilled surgeons who’ve devoted their practice strictly to advanced FUE are producing results on par with and even exceeding that of FUT/trip on a regular basis.

The question of whether or not FUT still has a place in today’s modern hair transplant surgery is probably even more debatable than it was in the past.  The school of thought several years ago was that those with exceptionally advanced balding may benefit from a combination of both FUT and FUE (starting with FUT until they are stripped out and finishing with FUE).   That may or may not still be true for some patients.

But in speaking with Dr. Rahal for example, he uses a formula to scientifically calculate how many grafts that can be harvested safely via FUE over the course of a lifetime.

Per Dr. Rahal -

“We calculate the coverage value, based on hair caliber, density of graphs, hairs per graft and size of the area to come up with a number of graphs that can be harvested safely in a patient’s lifetime.  The size of the punch and distribution of the extractions also make a huge difference”

Long story short, FUE has clearly come a long way and while most surgeons have not only adopted it into their practice, some like Dr. Rahal now perform it exclusively and are obtaining results on par with or even better than that of FUT/strip.    

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, BaldingEye said:

Phenomenal content and interview. FUE is the way to go for sure, with the RIGHT doctor.

By the way ... Why Dr Hasson has not asked Dr Wong to operate on his hairline?

to busy making money 

The reason fut is become obsolete is not because it’s not effective .. 

its because u don’t have to be a surgeon to do fue . Therefore more n more clinics can open up..

also, fut is usually 30-40 percent cheaper n requires surgery.  With FUE, the doctor doesn’t need to do as much work , they can let their techs do the extractions implantations .. but they still make more money .. so it’s just more beneficial in the surgeons time n profit to do FUE.. 

I know this because I was planning to do fut with dr hasson ,, but when I got their .. he really pushed hard to do the FUe ..

he told me he can pick n choose better hairs with FUe for the hairline n he can get the same results with fut . But it costed $8k more .. I had no choice but listen to him .. n Pwrsonally I think they could of done a better job with fut .. but im also glad I’m not stuck with a big scar in the back of my head .. which would of been covered with my long hair .. so either would of worked for me .. there are Cost n benefits for each type. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have great laxity but in the second HT the doctor really cut me up badly. Also the surgery was very painful. The doctor injected a lot of medicine to make my scalp numb and it hurt a lot. Then he took an interview trying to get a testimony from me claiming the surgery was painless. I didn't want to lie, so I said it was painful. Ironically right after the surgery he was talking about scar repair.

Now the scar stretched, and I am forced to keep my hair long.  So if you have great laxity then make sure the strip isn't cut ear to ear. Make sure you both agree to do a small strip. 

I never got FUE done, but even in that if the doctor overharvests your donor then he will mess it up.