14 days post op - very worried about direction of transplanted hair

1 hour ago, NARMAK said:

The whole "wait till it grows in" phase is sometimes used as a distraction to claim "See, you can just style it like this, and it looks fine(!)" sort of rhetoric. 

This is exactly what I'm worried of. The thing is, even if the results look fine 6 months from now, they did botch up the procedure. And I shouldn't have to compromise with styling my hair because that is not what I signed up for. 

1 hour ago, Fue3361 said:

It might not end up particularly bad.  Really depends on your hair quality/texture/type.  If you have curly hair for example, it might look absolutely fine.

That said,  yeah, looks worrying.

Also, lots of people's hair looks weirdly angled after a while, but this is usually after a month+, at 2 weeks, I'd expect it to hold the same angles that doctor implanted them at. So I doubt those directions will be changing much.

I have very thin fine straight hair. So it won't easy for the weirdly pointed hair to blend in with existing hair. 

1 hour ago, LaserCaps said:

I do have a question.  How did you choose this clinic? Did you go there because they are close to you? Did you ask the doctor where he learned to do hair restoration? Did the doctor do the surgical part of the procedure? Or was it the techs? What method did they use?

I know there's lot of questions about which clinic etc and some of you might also probably be thinking that I got it done from a sketchy place.

All I will say right now is that it's a very well reputed clinic that's recommended a lot even on this forum. Which is why I'm VERY surprised that they could do something so basic so wrong. The doctor did the hairline design and slit making. The techs did the implantation. 

From what I read, it seems like the angle/direction of hair depends solely on the slits that were made. So I doubt that the techs did anything wrong here.

Edited by jbond007

It's just weird shedding angles like I had here, though this is 3 weeks I think:

SAM_0472.thumb.JPG.ead821ff34a27a32d2706034cb55fffe.JPG

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I feel like it's Eugenix based on the immediate post op pics... I could and might well be wrong of course though and I'm not asking you to confirm yet as I know you don't want to say who for now, which I respect.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I actually don't think it's going to come out bad or that they are particularly mis-angled grafts as most others have agreed with so far. I do completely understand your concerns though; it does look a little out of the ordinary, and I'd probably have them myself too, but it also kinda looks like your native hair grows in an unusual pattern of angles/almost like you have a number of big swirly cows licks on top. It almost looks as though they've tried to follow that pattern from your existing hair with the implanted hair to some degree at least to me.

Again though, I could be wrong, it's a bit of a strange case really and you could be right that they are mis-angled, I'm just not so sure that they are myself. I don't really know what to make of it at this point, so I definitely do understand your concerns, but I wouldn't count this out yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marko7t4 said:

you might want to go down the route of taking legal advice. 

At least in the US its very hard to pursue legal action against a botched HT. Of course there are exceptions, but in general what we on the forum consider to be a very bad aesthetically poor and botched HT, even so there is normally no impact to a patient's physical health and no true "disfigurement" or impairment or disability. 

If OP has money to burn perhaps he can hire a lawyer to pressure a clinic to refund him, but at that point the expense of the lawyer and general stress may not be worth it. 

I highly doubt OP has a case if the clinic holds their ground and this made its way to personal injury court. 

• Like 1

you might want to go down the route of taking legal advice. 

At least in the US its very hard to pursue legal action against a botched HT. Of course there are exceptions, but in general what we on the forum consider to be a very bad aesthetically poor and botched HT, even so there is normally no impact to a patient's physical health and no true "disfigurement" or impairment or disability. 

If OP has money to burn perhaps he can hire a lawyer to pressure a clinic to refund him, but at that point the expense of the lawyer and general stress may not be worth it. 

I highly doubt OP has a case if the clinic holds their ground and this made its way to personal injury court. 

However, I cannot understand why the OP does not want to reveal the name of the clinic, perhaps because if the clinic admits the mistake it can then agree on a refund, while if he reveals the name, the clinic may no longer want to deal with him?  Well if that's the case, it wouldn't be fair to the forum.

• Like 1

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, JDEE0 said:

I feel like it's Eugenix based on the immediate post op pics... I could and might well be wrong of course though and I'm not asking you to confirm yet as I know you don't want to say who for now, which I respect.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I actually don't think it's going to come out bad or that they are particularly mis-angled grafts as most others have agreed with so far. I do completely understand your concerns though; it does look a little out of the ordinary, and I'd probably have them myself too, but it also kinda looks like your native hair grows in an unusual pattern of angles/almost like you have a number of big swirly cows licks on top. It almost looks as though they've tried to follow that pattern from your existing hair with the implanted hair to some degree at least to me.

Again though, I could be wrong, it's a bit of a strange case really and you could be right that they are mis-angled, I'm just not so sure that they are myself. I don't really know what to make of it at this point, so I definitely do understand your concerns, but I wouldn't count this out yet.

I don't believe any of the pictures he provided look like Eugenix at all. I don't think he mentioned the name of the clinic, so let's not jump to assumptions or conclusions. 

• Confused 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I don't believe any of the pictures he provided look like Eugenix at all. I don't think he mentioned the name of the clinic, so let's not jump to assumptions or conclusions. 

Not jumping to any conclusions, not saying it is Eugenix, just had a hunch after he said it's a clinic that comes highly recommended by the site. I said I'm probably wrong and was just guessing. I have no idea who it actually is as he hasn't said 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, JDEE0 said:

Not jumping to any conclusions, not saying it is Eugenix, just had a hunch after he said it's a clinic that comes highly recommended by the site. I said I'm probably wrong and was just guessing. I have no idea who it actually is as he hasn't said 

Many recommend a variety of different clinics here, so let's see who it is, I do agree the angles look poorly angled in the photos. Though, I think some better immediate post-op pictures are necessary before saying for sure it's the angles. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Many recommend a variety of different clinics here, so let's see who it is, I do agree the angles look poorly angled in the photos. Though, I think some better immediate post-op pictures are necessary before saying for sure it's the angles. 

Happy to provide more pictures if it helps confirm mis-placed grafts. When you say immediate post op - is that referring to right after the procedure? Or 2-3 days after? 

Edited by jbond007

1 hour ago, jbond007 said:

Happy to provide more pictures if it helps confirm mis-placed grafts. When you say immediate post op - is that referring to right after the procedure? Or 2-3 days after? 

Some pictures 3-7 days after might be useful. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Falconary said:

I've seen a few cases like this by top doctors (on spanish forums) and the result were in the end pretty amazing, so I think you can indeed be satisified in the end.

i'm so desperately trying to be optimistic for OP, but it's really hard putting a positive spin on this with the facts and pictures we have at hand. 

Can you share the examples you speak of?

12 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

i'm so desperately trying to be optimistic for OP, but it's really hard putting a positive spin on this with the facts and pictures we have at hand. 

Can you share the examples you speak of?

It would be pretty hard to find them again because I made a really extensive research (looked through hundreds of patients reviews) to find a doctor near me in Spain/Portugal almost a year ago. But I can try to find one tomorrow (it's midnight for me now so have to sleep soon). However I am certain that there were a few cases were I reacted to what seemed to be very bad angled hair that basically looked like the pics OP provided. They all had excellent natural result and were very satisified with the result. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

Some pictures 3-7 days after might be useful. 

Here are some pictures leading up to the day before the first headwash. Some of them might not be very clear but hopefully if you zoom in (especially towards the more filled area on left side) you should be able to see mini grafts and their angles. 

FA655739-E677-48FB-A505-79C1947894DF.jpeg

36601F47-061B-4CCE-B63B-A20014C91D3E.jpeg

D7728FA9-6E90-43EF-854E-3883EEB61344.jpeg

E3CF831E-5AA2-4BB4-9EBF-7E070C7B6C05.jpeg

Ideally to get an accurate assessment of angles we would need to see pictures post scab removal but before shedding. I have a feeling that the original pictures show grafts that are about to shed. These hairs do usually go in random directions as they transition into from catagen to telogen. I wouldn't write off a good result just yet. Only time will tell but don't lose hope. 

• Like 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

Results like these are unfurtently  more reality than we wish to imagine. There really is no room for mistakes in HT as we can see. This forum is great help & as HTs becomimg more popular so will the honest results from patients. What hit me hard is someome made good point here a while ago, a good food for thought, he said why don't all  even most reputable doctors show most of their results on their sites? for exp, most clinincs operate at minimum 1 patient a day, thats 5 a week, in 1 yr thats a min of 250 patients. But if you even look at very top clinics own sites, the most is 70 -150 pictures in their entire portfolio for 20+ yrs they are in business? Very rarely they add new ones.  So the question is this really a lottery? What is the probabilty of home run?

Edited by civic
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BDK081522 said:

Ideally to get an accurate assessment of angles we would need to see pictures post scab removal but before shedding. I have a feeling that the original pictures show grafts that are about to shed. These hairs do usually go in random directions as they transition into from catagen to telogen. I wouldn't write off a good result just yet. Only time will tell but don't lose hope. 

I see. My scabs didn't come off until couple days ago. Was a 3-4 day long process to remove them with daily washes. Keeping that in mind, should I be expecting shedding so soon? Today marks the 14th day. And I feel like all the threads here have talked about shedding occurring in 3rd or 4th week. So are the hairs in original pictures really close to shedding or is it just bad angle placement? 

1 minute ago, jbond007 said:

I see. My scabs didn't come off until couple days ago. Was a 3-4 day long process to remove them with daily washes. Keeping that in mind, should I be expecting shedding so soon? Today marks the 14th day. And I feel like all the threads here have talked about shedding occurring in 3rd or 4th week. So are the hairs in original pictures really close to shedding or is it just bad angle placement? 

Looks hard to tell to me. I know this isn't what you want to hear but I think that you might have to wait for the hair to grow some before you have a real answer. 

Shedding took place for me between weeks 3-5. Mostly between 4-5 though. 

Shedding can occur anywhere from 2-6 weeks. So, yes it's possible. If you notice grafts falling the next couple of days then this could be just shedding and not incorrect angulation. 

Edited by BDK081522

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

6 hours ago, civic said:

Results like these are unfurtently  more reality than we wish to imagine. There really is no room for mistakes in HT as we can see. This forum is great help & as HTs becomimg more popular so will the honest results from patients. What hit me hard is someome made good point here a while ago, a good food for thought, he said why don't all  even most reputable doctors show most of their results on their sites? for exp, most clinincs operate at minimum 1 patient a day, thats 5 a week, in 1 yr thats a min of 250 patients. But if you even look at very top clinics own sites, the most is 70 -150 pictures in their entire portfolio for 20+ yrs they are in business? Very rarely they add new ones.  So the question is this really a lottery? What is the probabilty of home run?

Easy ... why would a clinic want to show poor or even average results.

But I agree with you by the way

• Like 1

Wasn’t there a video a few months ago where Dr Bisanga was discussing graft placement and angles for different types of hair? Maybe in a discussion video with @Melvin- Moderator?  Could it be they’ve been placed this way for a reason?

Cowlicks are usually one reason to place hair in a certain pattern to recreate that natural look on the frontal hairline, but the three pictures above with the scabby grafts look like the angle direction naturally on the head was in what would be considered a "normal" direction. 

Either way, i think we always hope OP has a good outcome even if initially things don't always seem to land ideally. 

• Like 1