14 days post op - very worried about direction of transplanted hair

• Moderators

Ok. I see everyone is saying it looks like a poor job, but there could be some reasons for it looking the way it does.

1. Once it starts shedding it usually does look strange and can look like the hair is going in weird directions. (others have pointed this out already)

2. Dr Barghouthi recently posted a case like this where he had to follow the unusual hair pattern to make it all blend correctly

I'm posting a pic below of the OPs hair with some green lines I drew to show that it looks like this person possibly has an unusual pattern and why it may be placed the way it is. I don't know if he had any hair left in the exact areas that were transplanted, but it could be that the Dr was following the natural hair pattern.

image.png.54b4c653b7acc30c3ad6454dc44d3334.png

• Like 4

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

3 hours ago, JC71 said:

@jbond007Hope your ok ? Logged back in to see if there had been any update ? Have you spoken to or had a meeting with the clinic yet ? 

Appreciate you checking in. I did have a meeting with the clinic. They said that my transplanted hair has grown a bit so they want me to trim it down using a clipper to see a more uniform look and then determine if the angle still looks off. 

I asked them if using a clipper would be an issue this early, specially because the general guidance is to not get a haircut for three months. The doctor told me the grafts have been set by now so there is no issues with using a clipper. 

I tried using a clipper at number 2 yesterday and tbh it only caught a tiny sliver of my hair and didn't make much of a difference. Now they've asked me to use my clipper at number 1, which I again doubt will make a difference. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, jbond007 said:

Appreciate you checking in. I did have a meeting with the clinic. They said that my transplanted hair has grown a bit so they want me to trim it down using a clipper to see a more uniform look and then determine if the angle still looks off. 

I asked them if using a clipper would be an issue this early, specially because the general guidance is to not get a haircut for three months. The doctor told me the grafts have been set by now so there is no issues with using a clipper. 

I tried using a clipper at number 2 yesterday and tbh it only caught a tiny sliver of my hair and didn't make much of a difference. Now they've asked me to use my clipper at number 1, which I again doubt will make a difference. 

Are you ok to share the name of the clinic yet ? Yeh using clippers this early on ? Not something I would be recommending 😯

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

My Dr said to wait 5 months before using clippers. 

Yeah that seems to be the traditional wisdom. Although it seems like it's more to prevent infection of scalp on transplanted area than anything else. If the grafts are secure then I don't see why a clipper at 1 or 2 would be an issue. 

27 minutes ago, jbond007 said:

You can certainly seek out the advice of the operating clinic if you want, but they have no incentive to admit any errors on their end. 

Seek out the opinion of a 2nd HT doctor.

8 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

You can certainly seek out the advice of the operating clinic if you want, but they have no incentive to admit any errors on their end. 

Seek out the opinion of a 2nd HT doctor.

Fair enough. Would it be too early to get a second consult though? I figured since most places do free consult they're looking for a patient who's going to get a transplant rather than "potential repair patient 6-8 months from now". 

I'll share the name at this point because the clinic has repeatedly said that the angles are okay. I got my procedure done from Eugenix, specifically from Dr Arika Bansal. I took the package where she does crucial extraction, 100% of slit making and design of hairline and also the hairline implantation. 

I've been in touch with Dr Arika for couple days and yesterday she assured me for the second time that the angles are ok (after I sent images post using hair trimmer at number 1).  I was asked to not stress about this, and that lot of their patients have had a similar looking head 14 days post op and eventually everything turns out fine. I asked her to share pictures of such patients (with faces blurred ofcourse)  and what their outcome was like, but haven't received anything yet after 12+ hours. 

On my first call with Dr Arika about this issue couple days ago, I told her 10+ people on this forum told me that angles are incorrect, including @Melvin- Moderator (since I had specifically mentioned even the mod of the forum, who got his last procedure done from you, said it appears that angles were poorly placed). She asked me for my username and actually went through the entire thread. She asked me to not worry about forum folks and what they say. She mentioned some other patients of hers also received very negative comments about temple peak construction before on this forum but everything turned out fine. So I shouldn't worry too much about what people say on here. 

Tagging folks who were interested in knowing the clinic name - @JC71 @SadMan2021 @SD1984 @JoeMan @NARMAK @LaserCaps @Fue3361 @Melvin- Moderator

Given that the doctor and clinic is HIGHLY recommended on this forum, I'm curious to hear what folks think my next step should be. Now that you all know the name of the clinic, do you still think I should run for the hills? Should I still get a second consult? Or should I sit tight and see what happens in 6 months from now?

Edited by jbond007
  • Like 2

I'm not sure what you can do this early in the process other than just wait it out and hopefully it looks ok. At least you went with what appears to be an ethical clinic and maybe they'll stand behind the work. Getting a 2nd opinion from another HT Dr seems premature. By month 3, hopefully you're going to know more.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jbond007 said:

Tagging folks who were interested in knowing the clinic name - @JC71 @SadMan2021 @SD1984 @JoeMan @NARMAK @LaserCaps @Fue3361 @Melvin- Moderator

Given that the doctor and clinic is HIGHLY recommended on this forum, I'm curious to hear what folks think my next step should be. Now that you all know the name of the clinic, do you still think I should run for the hills? Should I still get a second consult? Or should I sit tight and see what happens in 6 months from now?

Yeah so am I .... they were all expecting it to be some hairmill

Good luck tho I’m sure everything will turn out ok as eugenix has explained 

• Like 1

I think this a reasonable explanation from Dr. Arika. In this thread, there was mention that there had been others with initial odd angles which turned out to be just fine.

I think that there is nothing to do now, but to be patient and wait to see if what Dr. Arika said is in fact true.

A 2nd opinion from another doctor would do one of two things for me- give me peace of mind or make me increasingly neurotic.

If the hair does not grow at the correct angle, I am sure that Eugenix would repair for free.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jbond007 said:

I'll share the name at this point because the clinic has repeatedly said that the angles are okay. I got my procedure done from Eugenix, specifically from Dr Arika Bansal. I took the package where she does crucial extraction, 100% of slit making and design of hairline and also the hairline implantation. 

I've been in touch with Dr Arika for couple days and yesterday she assured me for the second time that the angles are ok (after I sent images post using hair trimmer at number 1).  I was asked to not stress about this, and that lot of their patients have had a similar looking head 14 days post op and eventually everything turns out fine. I asked her to share pictures of such patients (with faces blurred ofcourse)  and what their outcome was like, but haven't received anything yet after 12+ hours. 

On my first call with Dr Arika about this issue couple days ago, I told her 10+ people on this forum told me that angles are incorrect, including @Melvin- Moderator (since I had specifically mentioned even the mod of the forum, who got his last procedure done from you, said it appears that angles were poorly placed). She asked me for my username and actually went through the entire thread. She asked me to not worry about forum folks and what they say. She mentioned some other patients of hers also received very negative comments about temple peak construction before on this forum but everything turned out fine. So I shouldn't worry too much about what people say on here. 

Does she operate on only 1 patient a day if you select highest package? I wanted to book with this clinic too but got a bit worried she might operate on several a day since they got so popular in such short time span. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, civic said:

since they got so popular in such short time span

Very valid concern to have when narrowing down clinics. 

I am not insinuating in any way, that this is the case with Eugenix -

however,

those of us who have been around the circuit for a few years will be able to recall numerous clinics that were ‘trending’ in the communities, a combination of some great results and a heavy marketing focus, inevitably leads to an in surge of patients, and unless you adopt the Konior pricing structure, or the Couto style mammoth wait time, volume of surgeries increase, and unfortunately there tends to be a subsequent correlation of poor results that follow. 

Be a good question to ask when consulting. 

Edited by Curious25
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Very valid concern to have when narrowing down clinics. 

I am not insinuating in any way, that this is the case with Eugenix -

however,

those of us who have been around the circuit for a few years will be able to recall numerous clinics that were ‘trending’ in the communities, a combination of some great results and a heavy marketing focus, inevitably leads to an in surge of patients, and unless you adopt the Konior pricing structure, or the Couto style mammoth wait time, volume of surgeries increase, and unfortunately there tends to be a subsequent correlation of poor results that follow. 

Be a good question to ask when consulting. 

Absolutely! There is zero room for mistakes in HT. At first i was mad at some surgens who had few months wait just for consult, and another 8 months to book HT, but now i see why. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbond007 said:

Thanks a lot for sharing. I'm sorry that so far it doesn’t seem to be on track as would be expected however its pretty much done. Generally the reputation of Eugenix is good and i know some users did mention in a similar time frame their grafts looked mis angled so hopefully they are not going to settle like that come to the 6+ month park. 

Ultimately if there are issues, Eugenix will more than likely offer to fix them for you. I do genuinely believe that yes whilst they are hot atm and got that marketing momentum behind them, the reputation is something they will be hoping to maintain and they will respond properly. 

Ultimately i hope your growth for 12 months does go well and you keep us updated. I am personally booked in with Eugenix for May and the reason i went for them was because of their track record of getting the right results and at a reasonable cost (exclusive package) instead of me ending up at a hair mill with subpar results. This result from a procedure with Dr Bansal does surprise me a little bit but i am keeping my fingers crossed for you. 

I won't be taking my original words back on what i said just because it was Eugenix now being revealed as the clinic because that's a neutral impression we gave just based on the images at the time which imo was a fair cop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing the name. I wasn't expecting it to be a mill, as from the beginning you mentioned it was someone highly thought of. I thought of Eugenix and another clinic, i did not think it was Dr Arika though. My opinion has not changed. Unfortunately all you can do is see how it grows out. 

Edited by JC71
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

Can Eugenix provide you with the post operative photos? Maybe their photos will show us better since it's likely higher quality pictures.

Very true, after all we are looking at pics which appear to show the angles are off, lets see if they actually are.. The OP was looking for reassurance and had the same concerns as a lot of people here and in other places. A explanation of why it appears this way and showing some other examples of previous hts which have gone on to be fine would really help. I hope the OP receives some as he requested. 
His concerns remain very valid.

Edited by JC71
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Very true, after all we are looking at pics which appear to show the angles are off, lets see if actually are.. The OP was looking for reassurance and had the same concerns as a lot of people here and in other places. A explanation of why it appears this way and showing some other examples of previous hts which have gone on to be fine would really help. I hope the OP receives some as he requested. 
His concerns remain very valid.

She did send me a brief video explaining that some of my hair is sticking together and there has been some shock loss in the area.  But the general direction seems to be fine and I shouldn't worry. Also mentioned that my transplanted hair area is looking darker (more black) than my regular hair and that this could be due to the graft being thicker (since it was from back of my head) than my natural hair. I was confused by this explanation because my temple peaks seem to completely blend in and not stand out at all. 

I've asked the post surgery team how I can go about getting the post op pictures that were taken by eugenix. I'll share those here when I get them. 

As for some other similar examples, I doubt they'll ever send me those pictures. They would have 100% put me at ease as you said but like I said before, I asked Dr Arika to send me pictures 14+ hours ago at this point but haven't received anything. 

Edit - this is the picture I sent her last night with my hair wet. Which in my opinion clearly brought out the angle contrast between my natural and transplanted hair. I won't draw my transplanted area zone on this photo and I'm still sure almost all of you will be able to tell where the transplanted area begins. 

A7A0D848-8D08-47A6-BEB2-06C5207600DD.jpeg

Edited by jbond007

It is the weekend and with time difference I'm sure it will take longer than 14 hrs to gather this information. I'd give it a few days as I'm sure they'll have to find the pictures of these cases. Not saying for sure you're getting them but be a little more patient. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jbond007 said:

She did send me a brief video explaining that some of my hair is sticking together and there has been some shock loss in the area.  But the general direction seems to be fine and I shouldn't worry. Also mentioned that my transplanted hair area is looking darker (more black) than my regular hair and that this could be due to the graft being thicker (since it was from back of my head) than my natural hair. I was confused by this explanation because my temple peaks seem to completely blend in and not stand out at all. 

I've asked the post surgery team how I can go about getting the post op pictures that were taken by eugenix. I'll share those here when I get them. 

As for some other similar examples, I doubt they'll ever send me those pictures. They would have 100% put me at ease as you said but like I said before, I asked Dr Arika to send me pictures 14+ hours ago at this point but haven't received anything. 

All of us were speculating on what we saw in those pics, i would have had the exact same concerns as you, despite who actually carried out the procedure. And i really do hope that it does infact grow out ok. I actually think Eugenix will send some pics to you 🤞

I think you are worrying too much, you are only 14 days after the transplant, not 14 weeks (which would still be a short time to judge) plus you went to one of the clinics that has been producing excellent results lately.

• Like 2