14 days post op - very worried about direction of transplanted hair

I'm 14 days post op from a 2200 graft procedure. Most of the scabs have fallen off but the resulting direction of hair has me very worried.

From most of the results I see here and on other sites, by 14th day the transplanted hair blends in with the rest of the hair but in my case, the transplanted area sticks out very prominently. 

Attaching some pictures. Would love to get some advice from knowledgeable folks here. 

402FD79D-BA32-4DE2-BE13-33C7430BA14D.jpeg

FE91A372-60C5-4D11-97E6-3D1AD61DD83B.jpeg

6479A943-1178-4854-880F-654FBB768A6B.jpeg

D57338F8-9AC1-42C5-828A-A62DAFF4B806.jpeg

DCD4973C-384E-4665-B2DC-62565D35BF0A.jpeg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JC71 said:

Thanks for posting, who was the clinic ? 

Waiting to get a consult with the clinic before I reveal their name. Do you think that the transplanted hair are badly placed? 

The angles seem very off to me. 

Just now, jbond007 said:

Waiting to get a consult with the clinic before I reveal their name. Do you think that the transplanted hair are badly placed? 

The angles seem very off to me. 

From your pics I would have the exact same concerns yes. Please do let the community know the name of the clinic when you can, it’s important to let people know if their are any risks 👍🏽

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, JC71 said:

From your pics I would have the exact same concerns yes. Please do let the community know the name of the clinic when you can, it’s important to let people know if their are any risks 👍🏽

Thanks! I've been told angles look off by some other folks too. Will share the name when I can, for now I'll share that they're one of the well known names on this forum. If the hair are confirmed to badly placed then I'm frankly surprised and also appalled at how they could get something so basic wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Administrators

From the pictures yes, it looks poorly placed and angled. 

• Confused 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

13 minutes ago, jbond007 said:

Thanks! I've been told angles look off by some other folks too. Will share the name when I can, for now I'll share that they're one of the well known names on this forum. If the hair are confirmed to badly placed then I'm frankly surprised and also appalled at how they could get something so basic wrong. 

Yeh that is going to take some explanation! It’s inexcusable to place so many badly angled grafts. So sorry 😞 

• Confused 1

Thanks all. I'll have to wait few hours before I can get a consult with the clinic. But in the meanwhile, is there anything that can be done to fix badly angled hair transplant by the surgeon who did it?

Edited by jbond007

Just now, jbond007 said:

Thanks all. I'll have to wait few hours before I can get a consult with the clinic. But in the meanwhile, is there anything that can be done to fix badly angled hair transplant by the surgeon who did it?

I don’t think I will be the only one saying don’t go back to the same Dr who did this. Was it the Dr doing the incisions/channel opening step ? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, JC71 said:

I don’t think I will be the only one saying don’t go back to the same Dr who did this. Was it the Dr doing the incisions/channel opening step ? 

Yes, the doctor did the slit making. You're probably right, but even if I don't go back to this surgeon, is there a way to get this fixed by any surgeon?

• Like 1

Just now, jbond007 said:

Yes, the doctor did the slit making. You're probably right, but even if I don't go back to this surgeon, is there a way to get this fixed by any surgeon?

Yes it’s possible for the grafts to be removed/redistributed at a much later date. Unfortunately the only thing you can do now is wait and see how it actually grows out. Some of the best repair guys are Dr Mwamba, Dr Bisanga, Dr Feriduni + @DrTBarghouthiwho may be kind enough to comment here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Yes it’s possible for the grafts to be removed/redistributed at a much later date. Unfortunately the only thing you can do now is wait and see how it actually grows out. Some of the best repair guys are Dr Mwamba, Dr Bisanga, Dr Feriduni + @DrTBarghouthiwho may be kind enough to comment here. 

When you say removed - does that mean remove the grafts and get another FUE procedure to fill it in? 

And for redistributed, what does that mean?

@jbond007 I personally am seeing Mwamba for my own bad angling issues. I think him or any of the other elite repair surgeons are your solution. 

I deeply sympathize that you are only 2 weeks post surgery and already have to start thinking about a repair, etc. 

Edited by SadMan2021
  • Like 1

Just now, jbond007 said:

When you say removed - does that mean remove the grafts and get another FUE procedure to fill it in? 

And for redistributed, what does that mean?

It can be possible to remove the badly placed graft and reuse it elsewhere IE redistribution. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JC71 said:

A repair will usually involve a combination of redistribution/camouflaging and then also taking more FUE from the donor area. 

I see. Do you think this has a chance of looking remotely decent once the hair grows out in 5-6 months?

Edited by jbond007

4 minutes ago, jbond007 said:

I see. Do you think there is any hope that this has a chance of looking remotely decent once the hair grows out in 5-6 months?

Impossible to predict, although you will get a idea of where it’s heading when it does start to come in. Looking at what we can see I would say expect the worst and actually hope for the best. At least it wasn’t a particularly large FUE session. Anything over the 2.2k would have made it a lot more difficult to repair. 

Edited by JC71
  • Like 1

The angles and the graft placement in direction don't appear to be correct but it's done now and you have to wait a bit for the hair transplant to mature and see what you end up with and what might need to be done. 

Where was the clinic based? I know you don't want to name them yet but a location at least and how you came across them might help users in who might end up in a similar position if they were to have potentially researched in a similar way but come across this before their procedure potentially avoiding a similar fate. 

10 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

The angles and the graft placement in direction don't appear to be correct but it's done now and you have to wait a bit for the hair transplant to mature and see what you end up with and what might need to be done. 

Where was the clinic based? I know you don't want to name them yet but a location at least and how you came across them might help users in who might end up in a similar position if they were to have potentially researched in a similar way but come across this before their procedure potentially avoiding a similar fate. 

I'll disclose the clinic for sure very soon, but want to get a consult from them first before I start posting their name. Trust me i dont want anyone to ever go through this. 

On a different note, is there anything you guys suggest I should definitely ask from my doctor? From how I see it - It can only go two ways from here - either they accept responsibility that the grafts are mis-angled, or they try to fool me into believing that everything is as it should be. 

My major concern is that they'll tell me don't worry just wait for the hair to come in 6 months and everything will look fine. I honestly don't know how to respond to that. Have never seen anyone with fully grown hair who initially had bad direction. 

6 minutes ago, jbond007 said:

I'll disclose the clinic for sure very soon, but want to get a consult from them first before I start posting their name. Trust me i dont want anyone to ever go through this. 

On a different note, is there anything you guys suggest I should definitely ask from my doctor? From how I see it - It can only go two ways from here - either they accept responsibility that the grafts are mis-angled, or they try to fool me into believing that everything is as it should be. 

My major concern is that they'll tell me don't worry just wait for the hair to come in 6 months and everything will look fine. I honestly don't know how to respond to that. Have never seen anyone with fully grown hair who initially had bad direction. 

I don’t see how this could be seen as anything but medical negligence. Not sure which country you are in, but you might want to go down the route of taking legal advice. 

Edited by Marko7t4
  • Haha 1

It might not end up particularly bad.  Really depends on your hair quality/texture/type.  If you have curly hair for example, it might look absolutely fine.

That said,  yeah, looks worrying.

Also, lots of people's hair looks weirdly angled after a while, but this is usually after a month+, at 2 weeks, I'd expect it to hold the same angles that doctor implanted them at. So I doubt those directions will be changing much.

Check out my journey here:

13 minutes ago, jbond007 said:

I think in these situations that they try to offer you additional surgery etc. but you should run for the hills. Best thing usually is to try get a refund of whatever you can from them and get it repaired down the line. The whole "wait till it grows in" phase is sometimes used as a distraction to claim "See, you can just style it like this, and it looks fine(!)" sort of rhetoric. 

Where is this clinic based and how did you come across them? You didn't say. I know you won't name them just yet but the above is helpful too. 

4 minutes ago, jbond007 said:

NORMALLY, TYPICALLY.....the clinic will provide post op instructions etc.  At about the 7th day you are to start washing your hair normally, (with the tips of your fingers....etc)  All crusts along with the hair will fall off.  3-4 months later the transplanted hair will start coming in.  Vellus-like at the beginning. It will be 6 months before you start noticing a bit of difference.  It will be at a year when you'll see the matured result.  

I was surprised to see how much your hair has grown, (probably from the get-go), which can happen from time to time.  (And typically, hair in the front grows forward, and so does the hair in the mid-scalp.  So, when transplants are done, they will also be done angled forward.  It is concerning they show angled to the sides, etc. 

So, it is quite possible for the clinic to say - let's give it a year and discuss once you see the full result.  If so, I would continue going to your scheduled appointments and voice your concerns.  Ask the doctor/clinic what options you have/will have if you are not totally satisfied with the work.

I do have a question.  How did you choose this clinic? Did you go there because they are close to you? Did you ask the doctor where he learned to do hair restoration? Did the doctor do the surgical part of the procedure? Or was it the techs? What method did they use?

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Here’s me at 17 days:

C3556BB4-2673-4753-B67E-2567BF828BA0.thumb.jpeg.a1765e24653f9969eb120c5c1c252c48.jpeg

half the grafts are pointing in random directions.  I assume it’s because they’re about to fall out.

the best time to tell implant directions is right after surgery.

heres day 7, all pointing properly:

FA21B5BE-58EA-4F80-A7BB-B2405C006A63.thumb.jpeg.caeeec78a1d23be089a59b9dafd62f43.jpeg

So since you’re day 14, some might not be pointing where they eventually will.

Check out my journey here: