Is there a solution for my Hair?

Hey Guys

First of all I have to give kuddos to the Wong/Hasson team for being so honest. They unfortunately gave me sad news today.

"I can see that you have very aggressive retrograde alopecia on the sides of your cranium and a very narrow supply of usable donor hair that will not yield much more than a conservative hairline in the front of your scalp at best.

With respect – your cranium size is very large and the area to reconstruct is very large. 

We concur with James that it would not be in your best interest to have the surgery as you will not be content with a little hairline work as the mid scalp and rear crown region will be bare with time – the ultimate look will not look natural .

I’m sorry for this news."

I was wondering that maybe someone would have a solution for me, or maybe feel that this was misread. The side hair is a reality from my first surgery, and I don't think this is Alpocia, but who knows. Hoping to hear some interesting alternatives

Inked20211114_170714_resized (002)_LI.jpg

Inked20211114_170730_resized (002)_LI.jpg

20211114_170619_resized.jpg

Edited by sharkman

• sharkman changed the title to Is there a solution for my Hair?
  • Valued Contributor

Looking at your crown I would have to also concur with Hasson and Wong. However this could have been far worse. If you had have gone to a hair mill they would have left you looking butchered and out of pocket. You could look at clinics like Eugenix who spealize in Norwood 6/7 patients and using beard hair as a second source of donor supply to harvest. What are your goals?

• Like 1

I have to agree with @Gatsbyhere, a second option from another clinic is always a good idea. Maybe consult with Eugenix and Hattingen ? Both are very capable with the higher Norwood levels. Eugenix as they are particularly capable with Beard grafts, and damn you have a impressive one ! And Hattingen as they are pretty capable with either FUT or FUE

• Like 1

Hasson and Wong are pretty honest imo. James (I'm assuming the one from Toronto) was a pretty straight shooter for me too. Just wondering, did you meet James in person?

If you live in Canada, you can try the states but it's literally cheaper to fly halfway around the world and get a transplant from one of the best doctors in the world in Europe than it is to get a transplant from the top doctors in the states. Not that there aren't fantastic doctors in the states, but getting a hair transplant in the states also costs an arm and a leg.

Maybe you can try Dr. Mwamba? I think he has an office in Atlanta but he also has an office in Europe. He does a lot of work with BHT from what I understand

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sharkman said:

Hey Guys

First of all I have to give kuddos to the Wong/Hasson team for being so honest. They unfortunately gave me sad news today.

"I can see that you have very aggressive retrograde alopecia on the sides of your cranium and a very narrow supply of usable donor hair that will not yield much more than a conservative hairline in the front of your scalp at best.

With respect – your cranium size is very large and the area to reconstruct is very large. 

We concur with James that it would not be in your best interest to have the surgery as you will not be content with a little hairline work as the mid scalp and rear crown region will be bare with time – the ultimate look will not look natural .

I’m sorry for this news."

I was wondering that maybe someone would have a solution for me, or maybe feel that this was misread. The side hair is a reality from my first surgery, and I don't think this is Alpocia, but who knows. Hoping to hear some interesting alternatives

Inked20211114_170714_resized (002)_LI.jpg

Inked20211114_170730_resized (002)_LI.jpg

20211114_170619_resized.jpg

I think the only great Dr/clinic who would be willing to try to reverse this situation is Eugenix. Since you got pretty amazing beard, they could probably get a couple of thousands grafts from there and blend it in with your scalp hair. Hopefully you are on Finasteride. You seem to have pretty healthy expectations aswell.

Edited by digi23
  • Like 1

• Moderators

You should check out Dr Sanusi Umar in Califorina. He handles a lot of extreme cases using body hair.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor

The fact that you are open to leaving the donor area opens up many more possibilities. If you are willing to consider finasteride you could prevent further loss in the crown and maintain the hair that you still have in the mid section and vertex. I would have to agree with Eugenix being possibly the best offer (along with Dr Mwamba) in utilizing your excellent beard donor.

you should go "all in" and start with finasteride and oral minoxidil and reassess after 1 year. Hopefully it will improve the donor area and reverse some things.

You have an insanely good beard so you have many options open really with eugenix but again take the medication 1 year and come back and reassess  :)  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Taking beard grafts from under the chin seems to leave barely noticeable scars. Look at some of the Eugenix results as a example. I have also been studying these results as I intend on using mine. 

barely noticeable on my face, yikes. 

12 minutes ago, kirkland said:

@sharkman Since James was mentioned in the correspondence from H&W, I am wondering if you live in the Toronto area?

I do not, I live in Montreal. It was all from the pictures. But jumping on a plane to Toronto is not a big deal for me.

How old are you?  I'd just shave the top and rock that manly beard you got.  Save yourself the disappointment and dough.  H&W were correct in their assessment.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

11 minutes ago, sharkman said:

I do not, I live in Montreal. It was all from the pictures. But jumping on a plane to Toronto is not a big deal for me.

You can check with Dr. Rahal to see if they are willing to take on the procedure. Dr. Rahal is based out of Ottawa which is more convenient to where you live.

There are a couple of positives you can take advantage of. First, the color of your hair.  Not as much contrast as if your hair was black with light scalp.  So, whatever can be done will end up being a positive.  2nd, you have a lot of native hair, most miniaturized, that has not left the building. Getting on the medical regimen for an entire year could be a possibility. Propecia, Rogaine, PRP and Laser therapy.  Do all of them.  If you do improve, I think you'll then have more options.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2021 at 9:37 AM, aaron1234 said:

How old are you?  I'd just shave the top and rock that manly beard you got.  Save yourself the disappointment and dough.  H&W were correct in their assessment.

I hear you, unfortunatly DR Rahal already put a scar on me with almost no results. So I'm a bit stuck

• 4 months later...