Opinions on youtube videos by Dr. Gary Linkov

Hello I just started researching about hair transplants more thoroughly and have been looking at numerous websites for information. I watch a lot of reviews and videos on youtube about hair restoration and was wondering if anyone has opinions on Dr. Gary Linkov videos. I was surprised on this website I could not find any posts about him and was wondering his channel is a good source to stay informed or if I should not spend so much time listening to him. He has many views on his videos so was just curious

Thank you for your replies.

I got recommended one of his videos on Youtube yesterday funnily enough. I have two issues with him.

1. He's not fully dedicated to hair transplants since he does like 20 different surgeries aside from hair transplants. He may not be as knowledgeable as someone who's fully dedicated to their craft like Konior. Plus, clinics like that sometimes just use the ARTAS robot because if they aren't doing hair transplants every day, it doesn't make that much sense to keep a team of techs on the sideline.

2. He comes off as more of a reaction Youtuber than a information Youtuber.

Though to be fair, a lot of hair transplant advice is just very basic advice (i.e. FUE vs FUT, don't go to an unethical doctor, take fin etc etc). So at the very least he's going to be qualified to give the most basic advice. Just maybe not the in-depth knowledge you might get from a guy like Dr. Bisanga.

I watched his Elon Musk video and it seemed to match up with what people (i.e. people in the HT community) are saying for the most part but when he estimated the cost of Musk's transplant I felt like it wasn't correct. He said $10 per graft, but that's more of an FUE price in a high CoL area in the US. Even in the Bay Area, you might only see $8 per graft for FUE and he's quoting $10 per graft for FUT. He specifically acknowledges that Elon got FUT but then still quotes an FUE price. And assuming Elon went to H&W (which is the general consensus on this board), then for FUT, they charge $5 CAD for the first 2k grafts and $3 for the rest. And then tack on the currency conversion (due to Elon being Canadian) and Elon would have paid less than 40% of Linkov's actual estimate. And that $10 figure also ignores foreign clinics like Eugenix, De Freitas, Couto, Lorenzo etc etc who are much cheaper and also have amazing results. The only doctor I can think of that comes close to $10 for FUT is Konior. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Oceanperson said:

Hello I just started researching about hair transplants more thoroughly and have been looking at numerous websites for information. I watch a lot of reviews and videos on youtube about hair restoration and was wondering if anyone has opinions on Dr. Gary Linkov videos. I was surprised on this website I could not find any posts about him and was wondering his channel is a good source to stay informed or if I should not spend so much time listening to him. He has many views on his videos so was just curious

Thank you for your replies.

I think you should look at the forums recommended list:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

You want to chose a proven Dr/Clinic that you can find plenty of patient and clinic posted results. 12 month journeys are the best to view. 
When it comes to research then I’m sure you will find this forum has just about every possible subject/question covered.

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

I think you should look at the forums recommended list:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

You want to chose a proven Dr/Clinic that you can find plenty of patient and clinic posted results. 12 month journeys are the best to view. 

I think from the recommended list Dr. Bisanga has a youtube channel where he discusses different hair transplant topics. I'm not sure I know anyone else from that list off the top of my head. Dr. Lindsey likes to talk about specific cases that he does but I never watch them cause I prefer pictures over videos... But I'm sure Dr. Lindsey's vids are solid as well though he probably talks more about specific cases rather than hair transplantation overall.

And some of them have websites too where you can find information since writing about hair transplants will boost a sites SEO

Yes BHR/Dr Bisanga post really good and informative videos. As do Eugenix also. I enjoy Dr Lindsey’s videos. 
To the OP I would check out these sources, and look through the forum which has over 20 years worth of accumulated knowledge and experience. 
This is a very good place to do your research 🧐 

Edited by JohnAC71

• Administrators

Looks very clickbait type of videos primarily reactions to celebrities. I don’t think there’s any substance to those kind of videos. That said, it’s definitely interesting to the general public, hence why his channel has grown tremendously.

To be fair, channels like Moreplatesmoredates do the exact same thing. I view it as low-quality easy content that is algorithm friendly and will get viewers. It’s like the clickbait “you won’t believe what these celebrities look like today” and the thumbnail is a beautiful person and someone completely disheveled.

Also wanna say I do like Derek, but he’s going for quantity instead of quality which is a shame. 

I create videos myself, so when I create a video I think what is the viewer gaining from this video? Is there something the general public may not know? Channels that do a great job are Bisanga BHR and Eugenix. I think Kevin Mann has some good content as well, but somethings I disagree with, at least he’s putting out content with substance. Not just a reaction, which is basically just recycling other content. 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 4 months later...
On 7/22/2021 at 3:39 AM, deeznuts said:

1. He's not fully dedicated to hair transplants since he does like 20 different surgeries aside from hair transplants. He may not be as knowledgeable as someone who's fully dedicated to their craft like Konior. Plus, clinics like that sometimes just use the ARTAS robot because if they aren't doing hair transplants every day, it doesn't make that much sense to keep a team of techs on the sideline.

2. He comes off as more of a reaction Youtuber than a information Youtuber.

Gotta make those clickbait videos to get views, however he actually does not use the ARTAS, and he made a pretty good video stating the reasons he thinks robots like the ARTAS are not yet good enough (also saying how most top clinics don't use robotics either). Manual tools like the WAW seem to be where it's at. I think it was a very informative video, definitely different than the reacting to X celebrity type of video. 

Edited by wonderful_derp

• Valued Contributor

@Melvin- Moderator I think you make great videos because they are based on content and education and the length of them are spot on. Not everyone has 37 minutes to watch a YouTube video. Especially if you follow several and the focus is on monetization and less on education. 👍

• 8 months later...

I personally think Gary is making easily digestible videos for the mainstream. Even if some of you guys don't necessarily jive with him overall in terms of him practicing multiple cosmetic things, but he does actually give solid information that needs to be seen like identifying hair mills with overall details, the importance of medication for hair loss and also many other key aspects. 

He does reactions to YouTube celebs or actors etc. cosmeti  procedures and it gets him really good traction which is why he has blown up too, but overall i quite like him. 

He doesn't always seem willing to at least on camera directly say some things as others might, but that's probably just because i'm used to more blunt replies on forums against hair mills whereas he tries to be more nuanced and understanding for his audience and try to direct appropriately. 

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

You can know a lot about a topic or procedure to be the best expert there is on it, but that doesn't always mean you are one of the best at actually performing the task.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.