Konior FUT next month

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, FUTAug2021 said:

Headed to Chicago in six weeks for a hair transplant from Dr. Konior. For folks who have spent time in Oakbrook after their FUT, any pointers?

When I visited Dr. Konior back in August of 2018, I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Lombard. It was like 8 minutes away from Oak Brook and they serve free breakfast. My advice is to go to a place that serves breakfast, because you want to eat before your procedure, and if it's included with the cost of the hotel even better. I took an Uber to downtown for $20. I think the prices have probably gone up due to the Pandemic and Uber losing millions, if not billions. Another bit of advice, bring an umbrella. There was rain in the middle of August. I'm from LA, so rain in the summer is unheard of, not sure where you're coming from but just a thought. I hope you share your review with us here and join the dozens of happy Konior patients. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Adding on to Melvin's great points, there's a mall nearby (Oakbrook Center). Most places to get you'll have to Uber/get a ride to as it's a suburb and more spread out. If you're not from the area. You can also check out restaurants like Portillos, Lou Malnatis, Giordanos etc. As Melvin mentioned, downtown Chicago isn't too far away and there's an endless amount of things to do while there.

• Like 1

I mean, checking out downtown Chicago is great and all, but the day after your surgery you are just going to want to relax in the hotel.  If you do go out be prepared to have a loose fitting hat.  How long are you staying in town?  I know Dr. K's office will do morning cleanings for patients a few days post-op.  I always appreciated that because I never had issues with scar formation after surgeries.  Just half a mile south of the clinic is Butterfield's Pancake House.  I recommend calling in an order and bringing it back to the hotel.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Chicago is a great city with a ton of things to do. As others have said, you'll want to relax after your surgery to recuperate. 

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Best of luck.

As others mentioned, Ubers are easy to hail around there.

I always stayed at the Comfort Suites as it's so near the office.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

On 7/16/2021 at 1:00 PM, 1978matt said:

Best of luck.

As others mentioned, Ubers are easy to hail around there.

I always stayed at the Comfort Suites as it's so near the office.

+1 Comfort Suites

Proximity was key for me. 

Dr. Konior's office, Walgreens, grocery store, restaurants, etc all walkable from this hotel.

Thanks all. I was really looking for feedback on what hotels you all stayed in - to be honest the Comfort Suites website photos of mirrored walls and jacuzzi tubs had me somewhat disinterested, but it’s your comments that convinced me otherwise! I made my reservation this weekend, and I’m very much so looking forward to my visit next month. And not to worry - I’ll spend my week in Oakbrook recovering!

My hotel is booked from Monday through Friday, and because I live somewhat close to Chicago (a couple hours), I planned on heading home that Friday and coming back to have my sutures removed. I know some of you guys stay a couple weeks until the stitches are out; think it’s a bad plan to head home, and then head back?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. I’ve got mine scheduled in sept and comfort suites is showing more expensive for my dates. Thinking getting a better hotel that’s cheaper on those dates and stay a mile away and take Uber instead.

6 minutes ago, makehairgreatagain said:

Did you use the discount code from the office? Fortunately there's no shortage of options around

Drs Helpdesk email says ask for discount at comfort suites. No discount code mentioned. Hotels.com and such listing it as pricy for my dates. 

no mention of discount for Hilton. 

5 minutes ago, RecessionProof said:

Stock up on food from Pete's grocery store down the street and make sure you have some good ice packs ready to go!

Thanks. Did you get the ice packs from the grocery store or did the hotel had supply of ice? I do have a personal ice pack bag hence asking. 

I stayed at the Comfort Suites and walked to his office both on the procedure day and the next morning. It's a really easy walk if you take the back roads. Only one larger street to cross and no traffic that early in the morning. I planned on getting an Uber back after surgery because I had been through it twice and knew you don't feel very lucid and energetic afterwards. Especially at 9p when we finished. His receptionist actually ended up giving me a ride back to the hotel. They mentioned that for some reason Uber drivers have a  hard time getting to the exact location for a pickup. They are so accommodating that I'm sure you'll be covered. Dr Konior has even given patients rides home afterwards. It's an all around top notch clinic and they take care of you. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

Easy walk yes but makehairgreatagain is right.  I only had a FUE and was advised not to walk that night (mainly because loopiness of the drugs) so not worth the risk with a FUT

For reference, I paid $70 per night @ Comfort Suites (no discount code used)

12 minutes ago, AlBrown said:

Easy walk yes but makehairgreatagain is right.  I only had a FUE and was advised not to walk that night (mainly because loopiness of the drugs) so not worth the risk with a FUT

For reference, I paid $70 per night @ Comfort Suites (no discount code used)

Its showing $140/night for me :D 

19 hours ago, hairophile said:

Thanks. Did you get the ice packs from the grocery store or did the hotel had supply of ice? I do have a personal ice pack bag hence asking. 

I used both, as I recall the hotel had an ice maker. I also bought some kind of ice pack compress from the Walgreens in the area.

• 5 weeks later...

I guess I should provide an update, since I’ve lurked on here for years…

I visited Oakbrook late last month for a hair transplant with Dr. Konior and his staff. My experience was similar if not exactly the same to everyone else’s that has been mentioned in these forums. I stayed in the Comfort Suites hotel, it was fine and convenient. Dr. Konior and his staff have been nothing but consummate professionals throughout my transplant and during follow up appointments  

I imagined that my grafts would only have spanned my frontal third, but I was very satisfied to realize after surgery that Dr. Konior graciously went above and beyond the call of duty, giving me significantly more grafts than I bargained for, and covering way more real estate that I ever imagined for my first surgery.

I sadly woke up on day 3 realizing that I dislodged some grafts in my sleep, which was pretty gruesome and left me pretty upset at first, but I was assured that this sometimes happens and a few lost grafts won’t impact my final result. 

I didn’t document the “before” very well, but I’ll attach a picture of where I am now - day 9, crusts falling out, and very satisfied with a densely packed frontal third, fading back to my crown that has some coverage on it. I am very ready for my sutures to come out, but Tylenol PM before bed is helping me out. I still look in the mirror sort of shocked that there’s now hair existing in places where it hasn’t been since I was a teenager. And even with a few lost grafts in the beginning, I’m very confident that I went to the right place, and the right doctor, and I’m very much looking forward to seeing how this will turn out. 

6B1CAE6B-43DF-4BDE-917A-D8C497747D44.jpeg

Edited by FUTAug2021
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, makehairgreatagain said:

Looks awesome and can't wait to see your result. Any before pictures you can provide? I know you mentioned not taking anything specifically beforehand.

Sure. I went to Chicago with very shaggy hair. As you can see in the second photo, there was some hair still in the front and the middle that I could comb over, but my temples were basically hairless. I’ve worn my hair very low on the sides for several years, and although it may have to be a bit longer, my incision line seems so high that I won’t have a problem with a similar hairstyle after everything grows in. 

BF1D8573-293E-416B-AD0A-7FE024AD9CD2.jpeg

D1875FB0-6465-4D0F-9F67-9A1BD3F20159.jpeg

Edited by FUTAug2021
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Awesome bro can’t wait to see your progress 🙌🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.