My results from SMP density treatment

Here are my before and pics after one SMP session. Both are taken in the harshest light in my house. The first was before, and the second was from today which is 4 days after the SMPwas done, when all the extra ink and scabs have fallen out and everything is healed. Just from one treatment alone the change is dramatic. I think after the second session it will be near perfect. 

3501848C-5087-4346-92FB-51DC6139FD92.jpeg

021AB38A-DC30-448C-BC20-612662A6AE6A.jpeg

• Like 6

• Administrators

Thanks for sharing this separately, hopefully you can share more pictures after the second session.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

6 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Thanks for sharing this separately, hopefully you can share more pictures after the second session.

Absolutely. After the second treatment is done and healed, I’ll share a pic from the same angle but also with a middle part, damp hair, etc. Probably a video too of running my fingers through my hair. But just keep in mind I won’t have any before pictures/videos other than this for a frame of reference for the other pics and video. 

• Like 2

Looks amazing, well done ! 

A few questions if you don’t mind . . 

1) How long does it last, and are you required to have top ups? 

2) Are there any angles/lights that make it look noticeable ? 

3) If you were to shave down, would it look out of place, or is it executed just as shaven SMP is (small dots mimicking hair stubble) ? 

4) Does it hurt ? 

Thankyou very much, 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Looks amazing, well done ! 

A few questions if you don’t mind . . 

1) How long does it last, and are you required to have top ups? 

2) Are there any angles/lights that make it look noticeable ? 

3) If you were to shave down, would it look out of place, or is it executed just as shaven SMP is (small dots mimicking hair stubble) ? 

4) Does it hurt ? 

Thankyou very much, 

1. Depending on the person and how well you take care of it (like spray on sunblock to protect it), it will lighten somewhat over time and a touch up will be required every 5-10 years. A touch up is around $700 at my place. 
2. If I really look up close on my part in harsh lights I can see some dots. But keep in mind I’ve only had one treatment. The first treatment is more of a base, then the second treatment is a different size dot with different ink color and is used to layer and add density and naturalness. So I think after my second session it will be near perfect. Also keep in mind that it won’t be common for someone to be expecting your part up close in harsh lighting. 
3. It is small dots like normal SMP, but I suspect if I shaved it down they’d have to blend it to the rest of my hair with another session. I only got the scalp done. Also with long hair like mine it would be near impossible to blend it into existing stubble. 
4. I am heavily tattooed (2 full sleeves, chest, and full back piece) so I may not be the best judge. But it hurt quite a bit less than a normal tattoo. This is because they don’t go as deep. Also, my scalp still has reduced sensitivity from my HT, so on my crown I hardly felt anything. But in my mid scalp where I didn’t have an HT I felt it a bit more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got my second SMP treatment Tuesday, so today I was able to washed my hair for the first time since then. The attached pictures are from the harshest light in my entire house - overhead bulbs pointed directly at my head. As you can see, with my hair combed normally the illusion of a full head of hair is nearly perfect, even when you try to look for it. 

I wanted to attach a video but it won’t let me, not sure why. I’ll try to find another way to post one. 

3670C55F-24E4-4874-A94F-DF21B7BE4320.jpeg

976FBFAD-76B6-4663-9174-1488C395E720.jpeg

• Like 2

These next set of photos I have deliberately combed my hair to show the worst part of my crown with regards to hair density - one parted down the middle and the other parted side to side across the crown. Yes, you can still see some scalp and if you zoom on you can see dots, but I also don’t comb my hair this way. Also I wish I had “before” pictures to show how much better this looks now. 

ED0A8801-DEE4-42A0-ACF0-86ED290F529F.jpeg

6E67047B-A56E-4B17-904B-5A131189A36C.jpeg

3 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

The top is a picture from about a month before the first procedure and the bottom is today. Same room, same light

2AEB6DC6-29F0-4C27-B9E6-B3A7946611D9.jpeg

5D8AC5F9-C3DD-4585-806B-0412CCA7E865.jpeg

That is really impressive, thanks for sharing all the pics and video.

SMP gets a bad rap because of all the scammers and tattoo artists that try to crossover without additional training. But there are reputable operations out there if you put in the effort like you would for a HT doctor. While its more on topic to put your story here,  I think it should be over in the main Q &A section so that the most eyeballs will see it. Particularly for the guys that will end up as NW6 and 7s. This is an important tool in the 'long term toolbox' for maximizing donors. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ciaus said:

That is really impressive, thanks for sharing all the pics and video.

SMP gets a bad rap because of all the scammers and tattoo artists that try to crossover without additional training. But there are reputable operations out there if you put in the effort like you would for a HT doctor. While its more on topic to put your story here,  I think it should be over in the main Q &A section so that the most eyeballs will see it. Particularly for the guys that will end up as NW6 and 7s. This is an important tool in the 'long term toolbox' for maximizing donors. 

Thanks. Like anything else (hair transplants, tattoos, etc.) you get what you pay for. I paid $2500 total and that was a one hour first session and about an hour and a half second session. So $2500 for 2.5 hours. It’s a lot of money, but as you said there are a lot of horrific SMP results out there so it pays to go to a great artist. 

On 5/8/2021 at 5:02 PM, EvoXOhio said:

These next set of photos I have deliberately combed my hair to show the worst part of my crown with regards to hair density - one parted down the middle and the other parted side to side across the crown. Yes, you can still see some scalp and if you zoom on you can see dots, but I also don’t comb my hair this way. Also I wish I had “before” pictures to show how much better this looks now. 

ED0A8801-DEE4-42A0-ACF0-86ED290F529F.jpeg

6E67047B-A56E-4B17-904B-5A131189A36C.jpeg

even with the hair parted it looks really good.

Just stops the color contrast.

2 hours ago, hairman22 said:

even with the hair parted it looks really good.

Just stops the color contrast.

Thanks. Yeah when I part it on the side like normal, it looks like I have a full head of hair as my hair is relatively thick on the side of the crown. Parted down the middle of course exposes the most crown. 

On 5/13/2021 at 7:58 PM, EvoXOhio said:

Thanks. Yeah when I part it on the side like normal, it looks like I have a full head of hair as my hair is relatively thick on the side of the crown. Parted down the middle of course exposes the most crown. 

Will be doing smp soon too. The smp-clinic recommended me to shave my hair but you did not do it as i can see. 
Do i gain any benefit of it or should i just do it without shaving?

2 hours ago, Ajamilo said:

Will be doing smp soon too. The smp-clinic recommended me to shave my hair but you did not do it as i can see. 
Do i gain any benefit of it or should i just do it without shaving?

I researched a lot of places that do SMP for density, and none of them required the person to shave their head. Are you sure they know you’re doing it for density and not doing the bald head look? If they’re wanting you to shave your head, I’d be skeptical about them being able to do a density treatment. 

2 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

I researched a lot of places that do SMP for density, and none of them required the person to shave their head. Are you sure they know you’re doing it for density and not doing the bald head look? If they’re wanting you to shave your head, I’d be skeptical about them being able to do a density treatment. 

Yeah, the reason could also possible be that i wanted to do it on my donor area too since it has patches in some area s after the hair transplant when i grow it out.  

But i will update and see how this goes. I have curly hair so we get 2 differents scenarios for the people who are interessed in this :)

1 hour ago, Ajamilo said:

Yeah, the reason could also possible be that i wanted to do it on my donor area too since it has patches in some area s after the hair transplant when i grow it out.  

But i will update and see how this goes. I have curly hair so we get 2 differents scenarios for the people who are interessed in this :)

Ah ok, yeah any sort of SMP to fix scars does require the area to be shaved. 

What place are you going to?

3 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

Ah ok, yeah any sort of SMP to fix scars does require the area to be shaved. 

What place are you going to?

I live in Scandinavia, so it will be here. 
The plan was to travel to Switzerland and go to a clinic HLC recommended me, but due to cancellation of flights etc I take it here.

By the way, have done my homework and gone through this as one should do in a regular hair transplant

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that this is the type of discrete SMP that works really well. Aside from on darker skin, I've not seen a good case in person of hairline/mid-scalp SMP and very few online. 

17 hours ago, rj. said:

I feel that this is the type of discrete SMP that works really well. Aside from on darker skin, I've not seen a good case in person of hairline/mid-scalp SMP and very few online. 

smp works best to help provide more coverage imo

I dont like it for hairlines either. 

• 5 months later...