Instagram live with Dr. Wong and Remy Hair Technician

2 hours ago, cpfm said:

Thanks for the interesting Live! Loving the series.

Would love to see a Live with Dr. Mwamba about HT's and about Topicals (FIN, DUT, MIN) since he sells them and hopefully have data to support Dr. Wong claims about topical duta.

Agreed ! Would love to hear about his donor restocking method also! Very Interesting doc 

• Like 1

• Administrators
6 hours ago, cpfm said:

Thanks for the interesting Live! Loving the series.

Would love to see a Live with Dr. Mwamba about HT's and about Topicals (FIN, DUT, MIN) since he sells them and hopefully have data to support Dr. Wong claims about topical duta.

I have some insight that we might have the results of the topical fin and dut sooner than a few years. Can’t divulge much else, but it’s coming out soon.

• Like 4

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I have some insight that we might have the results of the topical fin and dut sooner than a few years. Can’t divulge much else, but it’s coming out soon.

Wow! this sounds interesting!

I've been contemplating ordering topical dut but since I didn't see any "real" results I didn't pull the trigger yet.

Dr. Wong reply to you was indeed interesting..

Hope soon is tomorrow! 😂

• Administrators
3 hours ago, cpfm said:

Wow! this sounds interesting!

I've been contemplating ordering topical dut but since I didn't see any "real" results I didn't pull the trigger yet.

Dr. Wong reply to you was indeed interesting..

Hope soon is tomorrow! 😂

I’ll interview Dr. Hasson soon, so be sure to join and ask him these hardball questions 😬

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

37 minutes ago, follically challenged said:

So, Wong hinted at topical dutasteride replacing oral fin, is that correct...?

Would that mean topical dut is now FDA approved? Are they changing Dut at all..? I'm not so clear as to why they can't reveal much if topical Dut is already a thing....?

It's definitely not approved by the FDA. I haven't even heard of trials or anything for it?

Topical dut is a thing but it's not widely adopted or researched. At the moment, you could argue it's similar to a lot of other speculative drugs like Breezula or RU. And there's a lot of drugs out there that people claim works or they're using off-label or getting it shipped from some Chinese lab or is currently in trials. So when you have a top doctor like Dr. Wong say that he thinks topical dut is the future, it really makes people feel like we found the next proven thing. Yeah we have Breezula but do we know it's better than fin or it has less side effects? It's kind of an unknown in many regards. We don't even know if it will get FDA approval.

As for why it can't be revealed? Well, depends on what it is. But just because it exists doesn't mean that the information can't be exciting. For example, if it H & W starts prescribing it, that's a big deal. Or if we see some actual clinical data from topical dut, that's also a big thing. You have to realize that topical dut is a new treatment and not a widely adopted treatment so there's a ton of potential "big news" for it. Like if H & W signed a multimillion dollar deal to sell topical dut in Costcos across North America (just dreaming lol) that would be massive news even though it's "already a thing". 

• Like 1

I would definitely be interested in quitting oral fin for topical dut if the studies and data showed it is comparable and the dht reduction is localized.

Exciting news indeed. I was under the impression though that the molecular size of dutasteride is too large to penetrate the skin effectively, but perhaps I read this incorrectly a ways back.

5 hours ago, deeznuts said:

It's definitely not approved by the FDA. I haven't even heard of trials or anything for it?

Topical dut is a thing but it's not widely adopted or researched. At the moment, you could argue it's similar to a lot of other speculative drugs like Breezula or RU. And there's a lot of drugs out there that people claim works or they're using off-label or getting it shipped from some Chinese lab or is currently in trials. So when you have a top doctor like Dr. Wong say that he thinks topical dut is the future, it really makes people feel like we found the next proven thing. Yeah we have Breezula but do we know it's better than fin or it has less side effects? It's kind of an unknown in many regards. We don't even know if it will get FDA approval.

As for why it can't be revealed? Well, depends on what it is. But just because it exists doesn't mean that the information can't be exciting. For example, if it H & W starts prescribing it, that's a big deal. Or if we see some actual clinical data from topical dut, that's also a big thing. You have to realize that topical dut is a new treatment and not a widely adopted treatment so there's a ton of potential "big news" for it. Like if H & W signed a multimillion dollar deal to sell topical dut in Costcos across North America (just dreaming lol) that would be massive news even though it's "already a thing". 

Interesting. Thanks!

Great interview.  The most interesting thing about it to me was how unequivocally Dr. Wong said that HT's will thin.  He also speculated that there might something different in the recipient region that causes hair to thin.  So perhaps the DHT is not necessarily attached to the follicular root but more of a regional thing (?)...

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

2 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

Great interview.  The most interesting thing about it to me was how unequivocally Dr. Wong said that HT's will thin.  He also speculated that there might something different in the recipient region that causes hair to thin.  So perhaps the DHT is not necessarily attached to the follicular root but more of a regional thing (?)...

I have made several threads and posted in others that show some evidence that some patients are at risk for this. DHT resistance can vary patient to patient, and a follicle that is perfectly healthy and unminiaturized in your donor area "may" not have the same fate when moved to the recipient. This is why finasteride and other anti androgens are important for some patients. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
17 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

I think it’s that androgens affect the donor. There’s retrograde alopecia, and overall a really bald man still has a thin donor. I think it depends on the person. Someone with retrograde alopecia and a NW7 hair loss pattern is more likely to have their HT thin. I also think a lot of the FUE results which got hair from near the crown or at the nape could thin over time too. 

As for the topical dut/fin. I believe Dr. Wong believes both of these treatments will be the gold standard. Based on efficacy and low side effect profile. 

• Like 1

View my thread

Well done @Melvin-Moderator...

Interesting to hear Dr. Wong talk about beard hair in that he feels you can only get 300-400 grafts which is totally in contract to Eugenix who says the average man can get 3,000-4,000 beard grafts without affecting donor cosmesis.

On 4/28/2021 at 2:41 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

What intrigued me the most was his thoughts on crown hair restoration. He said before they said the crown was a black hole. But now, he doesn’t feel the same, based on his technique he can get good visible density with 1,500-3,000 grafts. He also confirmed that the reason why grafts yield low in the crown is the blood supply is poor. He has a technique for preserving blood vessels. Overall, I’m super intrigued and want to pay him a visit once the border opens up to here more about this technique. 

I've always felt this was the case simply off the basis of surgeons specifically like Wong himself, Konior and Lorenzo for example who seemed to prove that the opposite was true.  Coverage is much easier achieved in the crown by virtue of how the hair sits compared to how it does for an exposed hairline. My own is bordering on bald which is very apparent when wet but the placement makes it unnoticeable. Height of the hair is the only way someone can easily tell, which the average person is unable to. 

In the case that I do need to remedy further losses over the next few years though Wong and potentially FUT would be among first considerations. 

Edited by JayLDD
  • Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, SLA said:

Well done @Melvin-Moderator...

Interesting to hear Dr. Wong talk about beard hair in that he feels you can only get 300-400 grafts which is totally in contract to Eugenix who says the average man can get 3,000-4,000 beard grafts without affecting donor cosmesis.

I don’t think he’s tried as much tbh. I mean Rahul has proven that up to 6,000 beard grafts can be extracted, but patient selection is key.

View my thread

7 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I don’t think he’s tried as much tbh. I mean Rahul has proven that up to 6,000 beard grafts can be extracted, but patient selection is key.

For sure, I agree that he hasn't chosen to go down that route. It is surprising to me that a leader in the field would not have tried to develop more of an expertise there.

Perhaps H$W might be more selective in choosing patients rather than Eugenix who may be more experimental and take those with depleted donors, add a boat load of beard hairs and churn out what others would deem impossible.

As for, Rahul I am fairly sure that amazingly, he had closer to 9k beard hairs (and can still grow a beard)! 

Eugenix are routinely extracting 1k+ beard grafts on many patients in one sitting and surely have developed that expertise.

16 hours ago, SLA said:

For sure, I agree that he hasn't chosen to go down that route. It is surprising to me that a leader in the field would not have tried to develop more of an expertise there.

Perhaps H$W might be more selective in choosing patients rather than Eugenix who may be more experimental and take those with depleted donors, add a boat load of beard hairs and churn out what others would deem impossible.

As for, Rahul I am fairly sure that amazingly, he had closer to 9k beard hairs (and can still grow a beard)! 

Eugenix are routinely extracting 1k+ beard grafts on many patients in one sitting and surely have developed that expertise.

H & W were notoriously late to add FUE to their repertoire and they easily transitioned into one of the best FUE clinics in the world. I think they're the type to only do things when they're sure it'll create a good result and that the technology/technique has refined enough where it meets their standards.

• Like 1