Back and Arm Hair ?

Like some/most men I have an abundance of unwanted upper arm and back hair.  Instead of shaving it off, it seems a much better option to transplant it where I need it the most. Is this at all possible ? 

Also what is the pecking order of body hair, from best to not so great ?  And what can not be used at all ?

39 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

Beard to chest is usually the order.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember a case where someone used pubic hairs lol.

The issue with using arm hairs and back hairs is that they are way more fragile when moving

im sure Eugenix or some other similar said pubic next best thing after chest hair...

• Administrators

Arm pit hair is the next best one, it’s similar to pubic hair. Honestly, I wouldn’t waste my time on anything past beard.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Arm pit hair is the next best one, it’s similar to pubic hair. Honestly, I wouldn’t waste my time on anything past beard.

With your plentiful beardage you dont need to 😂

Edited by JohnAC71

4 hours ago, NewHare said:

Like some/most men I have an abundance of unwanted upper arm and back hair.  Instead of shaving it off, it seems a much better option to transplant it where I need it the most. Is this at all possible ? 

Also what is the pecking order of body hair, from best to not so great ?  And what can not be used at all ?

I had upper and lower arm hair used to put into my thinning nape hairline:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

do you seen any use upper beard hair ie above the chin onto the face to extract grafts from? when they have used all grafts below the chin?

• Moderators

A few years ago I had some test grafts taken from my back, but I think out of about 20 attempts we only got maybe 3 good grafts, so we stopped.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

What is the actual yield one can get from beard hair ?  I would think it was rather low compared to other areas of the body.

Too bad we can't use back hair, I'd think most guys would have a full head of hair if that were the case.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 1:25 PM, Westview said:

Back hair can be an excellent transplant source

I see, my mistake.  I thought I read most thought back hair was not a good source.

What then are the deciding factors as to whether one can or can't use back hair ? 

35 minutes ago, NewHare said:

I see, my mistake.  I thought I read most thought back hair was not a good source.

What then are the deciding factors as to whether one can or can't use back hair ? 

It all depends on how much back hair you have, and how thick the hairs are.

Take some pics and do a skype consult with Dr. Epstein or Dr. Umar

• Moderators

It all depends on what type of hair you have. Body hair varies a great deal from one person to the next and from one area on your body to another. I'm thinking about trying a small test of using arm hair as I think my arm hair would be great for creating a realistic hairline. It's fine and straight and grows pretty long for arm hair.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

4 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I'm thinking about trying a small test

Thats a good idea, I was considering that myself. 

Anyway I just saw this video were they said the problem with back hair is that it's only 'visible' 20% of the time, the rest of the time it is in telegen phase. Is this correct ?   If so, that's not very promising.

• 2 weeks later...

Different growth phases will be with different hair sources at a given time.  Chest hair no good, beard may be ok depending caliber and recipient location of scalp.  Nape hair, forget bout it. Back hair-  it’s usually similar to chest and obviously no good.  The directional angles on scalp do not look same and if they even yield 5%, they may look unnatural.  You may do a procedure of couple thousand grafts but maybe only 10% visibly yield with density issues in between.  

now if you are using such hairs for scar repair or attempts to fill in scars, maybe a very tiny area may cover something to reduce it.   

im talking from experience myself.  looks fake as ever and ruins the scalp.  Just be careful.  If you want perfection and for it to look at least 50% better, or a distinct change, then do not look into it.    If your scalp is a lost cause and you want some stragglers on the head with density concerns, and you got money,  then it could be an option.   But for something like that,  it may cost a fortune unless you cut a deal with a surgeon of some sort.  Bottom line, you will be chasing procedures every few years.   These alternative hairs will still not give you the type of scalp that scalp donor will give you.  

Melvin, nailed it above.  

i am going through a tough time due to this

bless those those that tell the truth

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sean said:

Different growth phases will be with different hair sources at a given time.  Chest hair no good, beard may be ok depending caliber and recipient location of scalp.  Nape hair, forget bout it. Back hair-  it’s usually similar to chest and obviously no good.  The directional angles on scalp do not look same and if they even yield 5%, they may look unnatural.  You may do a procedure of couple thousand grafts but maybe only 10% visibly yield with density issues in between.  

now if you are using such hairs for scar repair or attempts to fill in scars, maybe a very tiny area may cover something to reduce it.   

im talking from experience myself.  looks fake as ever and ruins the scalp.  Just be careful.  If you want perfection and for it to look at least 50% better, or a distinct change, then do not look into it.    If your scalp is a lost cause and you want some stragglers on the head with density concerns, and you got money,  then it could be an option.   But for something like that,  it may cost a fortune unless you cut a deal with a surgeon of some sort.  Bottom line, you will be chasing procedures every few years.   These alternative hairs will still not give you the type of scalp that scalp donor will give you.  

Melvin, nailed it above.  

i am going through a tough time due to this

bless those those that tell the truth

Given all that, what if anything can one do when their scalp donor is tapped out ?  My early HTs were not well done and I now have a relatively thick hairline with very little behind it which looks odd. As I aged I lost more which now looks worse. Are any of these alt sources worthwhile to add density behind frontal hair ?

2 minutes ago, NewHare said:

Given all that, what if anything can one do when their scalp donor is tapped out ?  My early HTs were not well done and I now have a relatively thick hairline with very little behind it which looks odd. As I aged I lost more which now looks worse. Are any of these alt sources worthwhile to add density behind frontal hair ?

How is your beard ? Easily the best source after scalp. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 8:47 AM, JohnAC71 said:

How is your beard ? Easily the best source after scalp. 

I really don't know, never grew it out.  I shave clean, how is the scaring factor ?  And about how much can one actually get from that region ? Just wondering if it's even worth the cost.

Also why are there so few body hair doctors in the US ?  They mostly seem to be overseas, is there a reason for that ?

Scarring is pretty unnoticeable under the chin. All the pics I have ever seen I cannot see any scarring. 
It’s worth growing out to see, it’s quite possible to take 1000s of grafts. Ok so they are pretty much all single hairs, but perhaps twice the diameter of scalp hair. 
I was told my thick beard can give between up to 3000-4000 grafts. I would say Eugenix, Dr Zagrev and Dr Umar  doing some of the best BHT work worldwide.

After exhausting my scalp is something I am going to turn too. And I’m willing and curious to try some chest hair also. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I've had over 2300 beard grafts taken from under my chin.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Are you still able to clean shave ? Without any noticeable scarring ? 

I shave daily. I took these two pictures just now. 

0F21C77D-01D2-446D-A3A4-23C0C25BEF76.jpeg

346E1125-4F3F-42EC-B569-C79FB1225EE0.png

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)