Dr Feller, 2000 grafts, fine blonde hair, 9 years later (pics included)

Well, I think it's time to post some photos of my result from Dr Feller 9 years ago. I'll link to my write-up down below.

Brief background - losing hair since 16 and started minoxidil that year, then started taken fin at 20, and I had my HT with Dr Feller at age 23. 

I had bad recession deep into the midscalp - I had 2,000 grafts which was conservative because of my age and level of loss. I don't think it's a WOW result - it could be due to my fine blonde hair or just the large area of loss - but nonetheless I've been very very happy with my result and I think Dr Feller did a great job.

There has been some lingering redness (keen to hear anyone's thoughts on why this might be?) and if parted in the middle it doesn't look hugely dense under bright light (I got a pic of that too) but you'll see that when it's brushed down it looks very full. 

I'd like to get the hairline lowered when I get my crown fixed now that my loss has been stable for 11 years. It's a shame I don't have a pre-op photos because honestly it was BAD... my hT has been an amazing transformation and has given me my life and my hair back over the last 9 years.

Photos with hair brushed back and write-up below. Excuse the annoying writing style

hairline1.jpg

hairline2 (1).jpg

hairline3 (1).jpg

hairline4.jpg

hairline5.jpg

styled light HRN.jpg

styled 2 HRN.jpg

Edited by TommyLucchese
typo

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Administrators

Wow you’ve got some great hair man, do you plan on keeping it long?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

48 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Wow you’ve got some great hair man, do you plan on keeping it long?

Thank you. Yes always - 17 years and counting so far. That's what made my loss so tough to take. 

It's also why I have been so hesitant to post pics because even without the face anyone who knows me will recognise me.

Melvin, do you have any thoughts on how many grafts I'd need to lower it like in those lines I drew on? Also, what do you think about that straight line going back in pic 4 that I think is caused by redness? P.s I've also posted crown pics in another thread and would love your thoughts, if you don't mind?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Looks great - have a look for a thread named DHT and link this thread in one of the comments on there , the OP is after long term results. 

No need in lowering your temples IMO - and the hairline design you’ve proposed with the lines you have drawn are far too juvenile, borderline feminine, no decent surgeon would do that to you. 

If you are after bolstering it’s appearance, maybe consider adding some extra density into the frontal 1/3 with <500 grafts , or try a shortEd hairstyle. You’l be surprised at how a shorter length of hair can appear stronger and sturdier.  

• Like 2

Love this. Tbh, it looks so good i find it hard to believe you have fine hair. It looks relatively thick to me, only blonde! great job regardless. 

i know they like FUT over there, right? I guess that is no concern to you as you love your long hair, but for me i like it short...as a result, i feel like the FUT scar would be concering...but i guess it's impossible to know how bad you scar until you actually have it done right?

Any pics of your scar or donor area? Thanks!

47 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Looks great - have a look for a thread named DHT and link this thread in one of the comments on there , the OP is after long term results. 

No need in lowering your temples IMO - and the hairline design you’ve proposed with the lines you have drawn are far too juvenile, borderline feminine, no decent surgeon would do that to you. 

If you are after bolstering it’s appearance, maybe consider adding some extra density into the frontal 1/3 with <500 grafts , or try a shortEd hairstyle. You’l be surprised at how a shorter length of hair can appear stronger and sturdier.  

Thank you. You're right and thank you for the advice... I definitely don't want a juvenile hairline but I do want to widen that frontal area a bit so there's more hair either side of that forelock... my ideal scenario is 1,200 grafts in the crown and then 700 in lowering the hairline...350 each side. Some density in the middle would be good but i quite like the naturalness of it.

28 minutes ago, follically challenged said:

Love this. Tbh, it looks so good i find it hard to believe you have fine hair. It looks relatively thick to me, only blonde! great job regardless. 

i know they like FUT over there, right? I guess that is no concern to you as you love your long hair, but for me i like it short...as a result, i feel like the FUT scar would be concering...but i guess it's impossible to know how bad you scar until you actually have it done right?

Any pics of your scar or donor area? Thanks!

Thank you! I was told it was fine at the consultation I think... have never really paid that too much thought.

Yeah no FUT scar concerns for me because of my long hair but having said that, I did get that "pencil thin" scar that people talk about. Never had any problems at all. Just make sure you choose a quality doctor with lots of reviews on here. 

Have a look at my crown thread in the questions and answers forum.... one of those pics is my donor/scar. Not great though I found it really hard to get good crown pics.

1 minute ago, JohnAC71 said:

Wow 🤩 you have the hair of Lucius Malfoy ! 👏

Haha, thanks!

I'm quite surprised by the comments so far - I knew I was really happy and that it turned out well, but I thought under scrutiny maybe my result wouldn't hold up like some of the stellar results I've seen here. And that's not a knock on Dr Feller, just my physiology.

Appreciate the kind words. Just wish I could get this b*st*rd crown sorted now...

16 minutes ago, voxman said:

Home Run Hair.  Take it from this 60's refugee, its the bomb.

Thank you. I have been very happy anyway but I did always wonder if the community would rate it after seeing some of the home runs here. Not sure your situation but I hope the meds / HT can work for you too. 

14 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

I think you will have no probs sorting out the crown. It’s going to be easily sorted ! 
look forward to seeing that 👏

Thank you pal, appreciate your comments. If everything works out I'll be back in the chair in 3 years or so.

I think you have great shape at the front man and would not risk fixing something that's not broke. Not to mention the risks of possible shockloss etc. A strong forelock with long hair looks great and masculine and as stated tweaking it risks looking feminine. If your hair was short than the temples would prob need an infill to match shorter styles but since you're keeping it long it works fine as it is. Another fine example of a long term result

• Like 1

Your hair looks fantastic! And what a great result. We need testimonials like this after the recent onslaught of "all HTs will fail in a few years" posts. It gives us hope, seems like a good HT and consistent preventive treatment can be effective in the long run too. BTW, I read your e-book too, 'twas an interesting read. :)

No disrespect to @JohnAC71's comparison, but I think you look more like Legolas. 😁 You even have that graceful mature hairline. I think it looks great, I wouldn't lower that at all.

How's your crown currently, that you want to get sorted? Couldn't see any images of that.

Also, you said you there's been some lingering redness, is that from the HT? And it didn't subside after 9 years? I can't see it, but obviously you know if best if it's really there.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Richie888 said:

I think you have great shape at the front man and would not risk fixing something that's not broke. Not to mention the risks of possible shockloss etc. A strong forelock with long hair looks great and masculine and as stated tweaking it risks looking feminine. If your hair was short than the temples would prob need an infill to match shorter styles but since you're keeping it long it works fine as it is. Another fine example of a long term result

Yeah it would be a risk and if something happened I'd probably look back at these pics and wonder WTF was I thinking wanting to change it. I'd just like it to be a little less central, to fill in the corners and lower those a bit. Thank you for the advice and the kind words. I'll definitely play it safe with just a minor tweak, if anything at all. 

19 hours ago, UnbaldEagle said:

Your hair looks fantastic! And what a great result. We need testimonials like this after the recent onslaught of "all HTs will fail in a few years" posts. It gives us hope, seems like a good HT and consistent preventive treatment can be effective in the long run too. BTW, I read your e-book too, 'twas an interesting read. :)

No disrespect to @JohnAC71's comparison, but I think you look more like Legolas. 😁 You even have that graceful mature hairline. I think it looks great, I wouldn't lower that at all.

How's your crown currently, that you want to get sorted? Couldn't see any images of that.

Also, you said you there's been some lingering redness, is that from the HT? And it didn't subside after 9 years? I can't see it, but obviously you know if best if it's really there.

Oh wow you're the first person who's told me they read it before....awesome pal thank you I really appreciate it. And thanks a lot for the kind words about my hair too! Hard to believe I've reached that "long term result" category now, time flies. Glad I can help show people the long-term benefit of just one conservative HT.

Haha i'll take a comparison to orlando bloom all day long! Yeah you're right it's very age appropriate, I hope I can lower the corners a bit but I won't try to get anything huge done - it's just those triangles deep into the corners that I'd like to fill in a bit so there's more hair coming down on the sides.

I posted crown pics in the questions and answers forum, they aren't that great but I got a couple that were ok. Would appreciate your thoughts if you wouldn't mind!

On the 4th pic here I think you can see some of the redness - there is almost like a straight line going back, can you see it? Yeah it's from the HT - whatever it is. I think it's very subtle and light but I can definitely see it. I don't think I did enough aloe vera... maybe it's because of my skin tone.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Just an update - I had a consultation with Hattingen this morning to discuss mainly the crown but also my hairline. Dr Murseanu said if anything, just a small refinement of a few hundred grafts.

You were all spot on with advising against significant lowering - so thank you!

Great hair TommyL. !  It will also be 9 years this year since my surgery.  Congrats.

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 1/16/2021 at 3:06 PM, voxman said:

Home Run Hair.  Take it from this 60's refugee, its the bomb.

Both you guys got the long blonde hair. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 1 month later...

@supremegentleman

No pre-op or immediate post-op pics though so it's difficult for you to realise what an improvement this is... all I can say is my hair was a mess, I was very depressed and I'd had lots of comments from people who had known me as having amazing long thick hair - in April 2012 just a few months before my HT one person said i was "receding like f*ck".

I did contact Feller's office 3 times in Jan/Feb asking for my pics and a new consultation but I didn't get a reply.

Edited by TommyLucchese

• 3 weeks later...