Effects of covid on HT?

I'm about a month out of my HT and been dealing with covid symptoms the past few days. Now I'm perfectly fine, just a bit of a runny nose and loss of taste/smell; I'm wondering if covid should have any effect on my HT results. Rationally I know it shouldn't, but all this sitting around at home has me more than a bit neurotic...

2 hours ago, randomdude6971 said:

I'm about a month out of my HT and been dealing with covid symptoms the past few days. Now I'm perfectly fine, just a bit of a runny nose and loss of taste/smell; I'm wondering if covid should have any effect on my HT results. Rationally I know it shouldn't, but all this sitting around at home has me more than a bit neurotic...

It's a brand new virus that the worlds top scientists are currently frantically trying to study in terms of its long term prolonged effects - I'm not sure whether the effect it has on 2 month old hair transplants will be top of their agenda just yet 😂

If we assume it is nothing more than an alternate version of influenza, albeit with a seemingly harsher effect on the respiratory system, I think as long as you allow yourself the normal rest as you would do for any other virus or illness, you and your new grafts will be just fine ;) 

Hope you feel better and get well soon, 

Yeah, even with all the unknowns about Covid and its effects, I don't think "causing hair loss/damaging grafts" is anything to be concerned about. Stranger things have happened, I suppose - but the likelihood of that seems super unlikely. 

I'm glad your symptoms have been mild and I hope you're starting to feel better. Keep your eye on the prize in regards to those HT results that are right around the corner. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

If covid increased HT output nearly everyone on this sub forum* would be licking the bathroom handle at their local walmart 😂

Edited by champybaby
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

• Administrators

I had covid in October, no effects at all on my HT. Speaking from my own experience, I had no effects at all in my breathing or lungs either. My sense of smell took a beating. Most people “swear” they got it, but most probably had the flu. Unless you’re positive or have the antibodies, I wouldn’t worry about it.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Many unknowns with covid at this time.  One year out and they are still discovering things and most folks gave varying symptoms with varying changes.  Permanent hairloss hasn’t been really reported yet.

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/hair-loss/causes/covid-19

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/after-covid-19-some-survivors-experience-heart-wrenching-hair-loss-n1244158

stress/high fever may send cycles off to telogen effluvium. But it is usually temporary.

once you are in 8-9 month cycles, you may be able to see it better when it is grown out more

best wishes

On 1/12/2021 at 10:46 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I had covid in October, no effects at all on my HT. Speaking from my own experience, I had no effects at all in my breathing or lungs either. My sense of smell took a beating. Most people “swear” they got it, but most probably had the flu. Unless you’re positive or have the antibodies, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Sorry to hear that Melvin. How long did it take to recover? Was the only symptom you had was loss of smell?

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

Sorry to hear that Melvin. How long did it take to recover? Was the only symptom you had was loss of smell?

Took 5 days, I had a slight fever one day and body chills two days, after that it was just an annoying cough. For me, it was similar to a cold, less than the flu. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

COVID causes diffuse inflammation, vasoconstriction and clots -- miscarriages, strokes, pulmonary embolism  are associated with it.

If you are in the recovery period after a hair transplant and get it, it will likely affect your healing process. No studies on this, but it would be very strange if it didn't.

3 hours ago, Otar Norwood said:

COVID causes diffuse inflammation, vasoconstriction and clots -- miscarriages, strokes, pulmonary embolism  are associated with it.

If you are in the recovery period after a hair transplant and get it, it will likely affect your healing process. No studies on this, but it would be very strange if it didn't.

Well I’m all healed up now, and I’d say the healing process was about the same, if not easier for me than a common cold. 

If by diffuse inflammation you mean systemic, I’d say unlikely unless there was sepsis, which i seriously doubt I had. And pulmonary embolism, I’m gonna go ahead and say 0% chance I had that. 

Im a younger dude. I’d wager that symptoms that severe are exponentially more likely in the elderly. Crazy though to think what some people go through with COVID

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 5:25 AM, randomdude6971 said:

Well I’m all healed up now, and I’d say the healing process was about the same, if not easier for me than a common cold. 

If by diffuse inflammation you mean systemic, I’d say unlikely unless there was sepsis, which i seriously doubt I had. And pulmonary embolism, I’m gonna go ahead and say 0% chance I had that. 

Im a younger dude. I’d wager that symptoms that severe are exponentially more likely in the elderly. Crazy though to think what some people go through with COVID

If someone gets sick while healing from surgery, their healing will be affected. If someone gets very sick, their healing will be very affected.

Where did you publish your case? Who did your surgery? FUE or FUT? What country? At what point in your healing did you get COVID? Was it confirmed by molecular or antigen test or antibody titer? What do you mean by "tested positive"?

And how would you be able to tell the effect on your transplant? That while you got sick your hair just started falling out? Are you measuring yield? And how would you compare this to yield if you hadn't gotten sick?

The only way to reliably assess this would be large scale randomized controlled trials. It is very unlikely that research will answer the question as to whether COVID impacts hair transplants during our lifetimes. We haven't even adequately answered whether FUE or FUT is better. There is no scientifically reproducible way to measure yield at this point -- AI will likely provide this in the next 20 years. Hair transplant science is in its earliest infancy.

Once we can define the question, then we can start giving better answers. In the mean time, I think you're asking in a way that guarantees the answer you want because you're not looking for the answer you don't want. 

Edited by Otar Norwood