Mixed race HT Dr Cinik - unhappy with result

Awsome5

I decided to undergo a hairline restoration HT with Dr Cink. 
To say I am frustrated and disappointed is an understatement. The front looks completely unnatural, has gaps and my hair is pretty much destroyed. I am mixed race with curly hair and am 9 months into the procedure using the supposed DHI method. I consider this a botched job. I know there are a lot of positives reviews on Cinik and I'd like to be one of them, unfortunately I am not and I have a very dodgy looking HT to live live. But the reason for my post is because I'd like your feedback please. Is this just what it is or should I of hoped for a better result? 

The contact at Cinik clinic do not care one at all, just stated the quality of the back of my head is better than the top. Ridiculous comment! Let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks.

20201111_184650.jpg

20201112_193703.jpg

20201111_184621.jpg

Please can you provide some pre op pics? And then what it’s like now at 9 months. How many grafts were placed? Be interested to see your donor area too. 
i can’t judge at the length shown in the above pics. Thanks 🙏 

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 2

I'm not a professional surgeon but I can say at least your hair transplant is not as bad as some of the very terrible botched jobs that happen. I am sorry to hear you are not pleased with your result. I don't know much about afro hair so I won't say much about it.

I will say this though: I have also heard many good reviews about Dr Cinik but I would never choose Dr Cinik for a HT myself. Turkey is the bothced HT capital of the world therefore it should be approached with caution. Another big red flag concerning Dr Cinik is that he's not even in the ISHRS (international society of hair restoration surgeons). As far as I know the ISHRS does not require any demonstrated skill or surgical finesse, all it requires is a surgeon's qualifications and a membership fee. For me any HT surgeon must be in the ISHRS before I think about further researching them. The ISHRS should be the lowest bar that a patient will set when choosing a HT surgeon. It blows my mind to hear of people choosing foreign clinics that don't even employ ISHRS doctors, mind-blowing! The fact that Dr Cinick is not in the ISHRS suggests he may not even be a qualified doctor. Another thing to look out for is "does the surgeon offer FUT surgery as well as FUE?" If the answer is "no" then the chances are they are not a highly skilled hair transplant surgeon. FUE can actually be performed by technicians and nurses, and the chances of pulling off a succesful procedure are surprisingly high. Dr Cinik does not perform FUT. Also, concerning your hair transplant I do not believe you received 2,000 grafts, probably not even half that much, this demonstrates very bad practice on behalf of Dr Cinik.

These are just some of the reasons why I would not choose Dr Cinik for a hair transplant, and based on what you are saying my suspicions are correct. For some reason I am not surprised to hear that you are having an unsatisfying experience dealing with him, however I feel sorry for you and I wish you well. Luckily, in my opinion, you're hair does not actually look very bad, certainly not compared to other unfortuneate individuals. Some patients are left totally destroyed beyond repair following bad hair transplants, as far as I can see you are not destroyed. Maybe you should consider yourself lucky.

• Like 1

It's hard to tell with such close up shots, can you take pics at a wider angle and maybe blur your face?

I have to say the actual end result is not bad by any means but then you didnt look like you needed it in the first place. The problem with afro hair is you need a doctor who understands how to frame your face properly and regularly puts it into practice. Cinik seems to have a one shape fits all approach. 

• Administrators

Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction, have you tried to reach out to the doctor? What did he say?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi Melvin, 

Yes I have. I've stated my issue with the results and they basically said its due to the hair quality at the back being better than the top. I cannot fathom that as an answer. 

But the person giving the advise is essentially an appointment coordinator. I pushed it and he said he'll get the medic team to look into it. Problem is, it's done now. From the gaps, to angulation of placement and generally placement in general has me looking like this was simply a botched job. And to talk about DHI/FUE is simply a marketing gimmick that has worked in my case. If you look close up at the below, you can see it's not a good result.20201115_195257.thumb.jpg.31c9cce02c112acc97167185e2fb72b4.jpg  

Edited by Awsome5

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Awsome5 said:

Hi Melvin, 

Yes I have. I've stated my issue with the results and they basically said its due to the hair quality at the back being better than the top. I cannot fathom that as an answer. 

But the person giving the advise is essentially an appointment coordinator. I pushed it and he said he'll get the medic team to look into it. Problem is, it's done now. From the gaps, to angulation of placement and generally placement in general has me looking like this was simply a botched job. And to talk about DHI/FUE is simply a marketing gimmick that has worked in my case. If you look close up at the below, you can see it's not a good result.20201115_195257.thumb.jpg.31c9cce02c112acc97167185e2fb72b4.jpg  

For the most part yes DHI is a marketing gimmick. The success depends on the clinic, techniques are not fail proofs for results. I’m not sure I agree with the answer either.

That said, looking at your pre-op I’m shocked you even had surgery. You had a perfectly normal hairline. Since you have afrocentric hair, I’m wondering if you’d benefit by growing it out a bit more. The curls would disguise the hairline. 

Now, is this a botch job? I don’t believe so, but does it lack refinement? Yes. In my opinion, a case like yours, the surgeon should offer to do a free touch-up. Refining the result is a relatively easy fix. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators

@Awsome5

I don’t want to downplay your feelings, I do think it needs to be refined and for free. I suggest requesting to speak to the doctor himself, and please report back what happens. 

Every surgeon has off cases, sometimes it’s growth, other times refinement. The mark of a good surgeon is what he’s willing to do to correct the issue i.e free touch-up. Please let us know what happens.

View my thread

It looks like they used quite bulky grafts and arranged haphazardly.

I think you will need a top doctor next time to try to soften it up, but it will be a tough ask.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hi 1978matt, Melvin,  

Is there a way to correct this? I fully agree that the implantation does not look well coordinated now the front of my head looks like you say bulky and not in line with the rest of my hair. Is there even a possibility to fix this? 

I've tried to ask for support from the doctor through the coordinator, but might be waiting a while. 

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, Awsome5 said:

Hi 1978matt, Melvin,  

Is there a way to correct this? I fully agree that the implantation does not look well coordinated now the front of my head looks like you say bulky and not in line with the rest of my hair. Is there even a possibility to fix this? 

I've tried to ask for support from the doctor through the coordinator, but might be waiting a while. 

The fix is relatively easy, you need to break up the multi-unit grafts by placing single haired grafts in front of them. The irregularities is slightly different with afrocentric hair, as hairlines are usually lower, more square and tighter. 

The coordinator should be able to connect you with the surgeon. At the very least a FaceTime consultation to go over your concerns. Results are not guaranteed, but being able to reach the doctor for an appointment should be. 

View my thread

It kind of looks like your natural hair flows forward but the transplants were bulky and placed willy nilly.

I would think it can be improved by maybe punching out some of the bulky grafts and putting some other finer hairs in the correct direction.

You might need to have a couple of surgeries to correct it.

Cut your losses with Cinik.  He hasnt the skills.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

13 hours ago, 1978matt said:

It kind of looks like your natural hair flows forward but the transplants were bulky and placed willy nilly.

I would think it can be improved by maybe punching out some of the bulky grafts and putting some other finer hairs in the correct direction.

You might need to have a couple of surgeries to correct it.

Cut your losses with Cinik.  He hasnt the skills.

I have to agree. With the reviews Cinik receives it's disappointing. The results are very bulky and it there is no thought to the placements and angulation. The clinic makes enough money, if they have trouble with my hair type, be open and honest. I didn't want a result I simply live with, but like everyone else happy with.  

• 9 months later...