What Would You Say To Your Younger Balding Self?

• Administrators

I would say having a low hairline isn't everything, once you start to lose the middle, and crown, a low hairline becomes somewhat irrelevant. When I was 23 I wanted to have a low and straight hairline, like I had in High School, but now I realize most people don't give a crap, as long as you have a mature hairline with good density.  Do not mind the cringe ass selfie, god it's embarrassing lol. I recall researching hair transplants back then, one of my best friends who I had a hair transplant last year, had actually had a hair transplant a year and half before this, at 21. There is life beyond your 20s, I look back and think wow, how warped was my mind. You get caught up in a bubble when you're that age, and things you think are so important you realize aren't. 

My Crown at 23

image.png

image.png

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, jc80220 said:

I'd tell him having a bit of a thin crown isn't the end of the world. I'd then tell him to stop feeling sorry for himself and get finding a solution, otherwise you're in for a bumpy ride.

That’s key, so many guys I talk to via DM have a real defeated attitude, almost like they’ve given in to being doomed. There’s more to life than hair fellas, but all things equal, hair is nice.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Maybe it depends on where you are in life. I'd had a hard time up until that point and even though I didn't realise it then, it was the final straw and I gave up for a good while.

Edited by jc80220

I would have told my younger self to hop on finasteride and minoxidil ASAP and wish I had known about this forum so I could have made a better informed decision on which surgeon to go to.

• Like 2

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Visit this forum before doing anything! I went and had 2 FUT which were positively underwhelming in the Uk before discovering it.

I naively bought in to the “yes sir you just need 1 transplant” 

That’s unfortunately very common, promising the sun and the moon to younger guys. It’s shameful really.

• Like 1

View my thread

Thankfully I'd say keep doing what you're doing. 

The month I turned 16 my mum said she thought my hair was receding... a few months later in September we want to a trichologist who analysed my hair under a microscope and said yes you have MPB.

There were some expensive mistakes - the minoxidil and weekly "treatments" at that place cost a fortune, then Belgravia Centre cost another fortune but at least it was all legit stuff - propecia and minoxidil.

Fortunately I found this place in 2011 and lurked for a while.

Nowadays you'd never think I started going bald 15 and a half years ago.

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

1) Get on Fin ASAP!

2) Go the best HT surgeon, not the closest or cheapest.

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I would tell my younger self a few years ago that balding takes a lot longer than we initially think.

When I first noticed my hair loss at 31, I could have sworn I was losing it so fast that I'd be horseshoe by end of the year.  I wasted a lot of energy worrying about it.  But here I am 4 years later, still losing hair, but to an observer I look the same as before.  knowing my rate of loss makes me sleep easier, knowing I'll appear to have a full head of hair for another 2-3 years (without transplant).

In addition to what's been said, do not rush into surgery.  Find out who the top doctors are and try to have at least 4 or 5 consults before making a decision.  Spend the extra money to have the best of the best perform a HT surgery.  

• Valued Contributor

I would be telling my younger self "RELAX! There's a thing in the future called the 'internet' that has a thing called a hair loss forum! You can share your pain/depression and fear of losing all your curls and living a life of being bald! There will even be a drug called finasteride that might help stop your hair receding!"

If only I could have gone back and changed my perception of reality back then when I was 18 before I pulled the trigger on what turned out to be the biggest mistake in life so far (well not really. It's only a mistake if you learn nothing from it). But little did I know then the implications of what my decisions at the time would have on me for the rest of my life. I have a theory that at age 18 your brain hasn't fully developed in the frontal cortex region and doesn't fully mature until early/mid twenties. That's why you are most vulnerable in poor decision making in that early stage of life (in lots of areas). Another reason why holding off until your around 25 makes sense. Anyway I found a photo of myself at 17. In a year from when this photo was taken my scalp in the donor and hairline were unnecessarily ruined. The upshot of this is that the gift of getting older is wisdom.

Sweet 17.png

Edited by Gatsby

• Administrators

@Gatsby

The point you bring up at the brain not being fully developed is spot on, I believe it doesn’t fully develop until 25. Another reason to wait until you’re 25 before making serious decisions. You have a powerful story gats, glad you’re here sharing it. 

• Thanks 1

View my thread

"Take Duke Nukem with you and kill all the black market clinics with their agents" 👊🏻🤘🏻

• Haha 1

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I found a photo of myself at 17. In a year from when this photo was taken my scalp in the donor and hairline were unnecessarily ruined.

Gatsby,

How much hair loss did you have when you had your first hair transplant? What would you change? Would you go with the hair piece sooner than you did?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor

To be honest I had very little hair loss at the time of my two hair transplants. I always had a high forehead and my temples were starting to recede. I had the surgery as much to lower my hairline (biggest regret) as much to fill in my temples. By 21 the recession was more and by 25 the crown was thin and as was the vertex. I’ll drag up some old pics and post them. 

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, Seniormido said:

Shave your head

You can do that now. 

View my thread

• Valued Contributor
On 10/5/2020 at 9:12 PM, BeHappy said:

Gatsby,

How much hair loss did you have when you had your first hair transplant? What would you change? Would you go with the hair piece sooner than you did?

In reality I had minimal hair loss at 18.. Also I wore my hair long and curly like a hippy (hell I was a hippy 🤣) so it was easier to disguise. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and looking back I should have done nothing! At 18 I would have been on the first plane to Turkey if you could fast forward my younger 18 year old self to today! I probably would have gone with a hair piece eventually but the thought of growing 'your own hair' and the marketing at the time was something that I just fed into. That's why I'm so anti hair transplants in Turkey and in young people who are say 18-24. At that age your brain has not literally developed and hard wired in the frontal lobes to make executive emotional decisions. I just hope that my regrets can help prevent someone from making the same mistakes today. If I can prevent one person from doing that then what I went through was worth it.

• Like 1

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Seniormido said:

Now I have scars !

Smp, @Gatsby has shared his pictures, he had really bad FUT scars, smp did an excellent job. It’s never too late to shave.

• Like 1

View my thread

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Smp, @Gatsby has shared his pictures, he had really bad FUT scars, smp did an excellent job. It’s never too late to shave.

At the end it’s an ink on your head and it’s never the same as a non touched shaved head !

That’s what I tell to my younger self.

I’d tell myself: you never know until you try

whether it be finasteride, or a hair transplant. the fear of finasteride deterred me for years before I tried it and had great results. if I hopped on sooner I wonder if I would’ve held on. the fear of transplant was, what if it doesn’t turn out good? well my results are still tbd, but I know if I never pulled the trigger I’d always wonder “what if”

• Like 1