When does the hairloss stabilise?

Does hairloss stabilise after 30 for most men? I am a diffuse thinner with 30 percent density left and 32 years old. Should I expect that I would stabilise now?

It's really really hard to say. From what I know, the 20's are typically when hair loss is most aggressive and also typically when your balding pattern emerges. After that point what happens seems to be anyone's guess. Maybe you'll never recede another inch, maybe it will continue to progress at a slow rate. I will say though that usually if you don't have really aggressive loss in your 20's it doesn't suddenly kick into gear in your 30's unless you have some other health issues or start steroids.

The safest thing to do is continue on with preventative medication.

• Moderators

I know someone who had a full head of hair at 40 and went to NW 6 in his 50s. As for myself I started losing hair at 15 and was NW 6 by early 20s and went to NW 7 (if I didn't have a hair transplant) by late 20s and now I'm in my 50s and still losing hair. It never stabilized. The amount of loss slowed down after 30, but that's probably more because I don't have too much left to lose. I hardly have any native hair left now.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

My dad had pretty solid NW3 up to age 40.  Then it all went south and was NW5.5 bordering 6 by early 60s.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

It could also be a long slow slog into your 60's , the hairline inching back and thinning slowly, stealthily, until one day you see an old bald man the mirror and wonder where Navi went.  But hey, maybe not.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I believe mine stabilized in my 60s.  Both of my transplants were done after age 60 , and I really do not remember any shedding from either one.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

When does hair loss stabilize? When you're dead.  

There's no guarantee that hair loss stops at a certain age.  One can only hope.  My dad always had a great head of hair, and then he started losing it in his 60's.   

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Administrators

Truthfully, never, as long as you have hair, it’s going. It’s stabilized once you’re like Dr. Phil. 

• Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

23 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

When does hair loss stabilize? When you're dead.  

There's no guarantee that hair loss stops at a certain age.  One can only hope.  My dad always had a great head of hair, and then he started losing it in his 60's.   

I was watching Dr. Phil today, and what started out as a show about sluts ( actual title), but he turned it into a boring show about bullying.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

On 7/15/2020 at 9:09 PM, NAVI said:

Does hairloss stabilise after 30 for most men? I am a diffuse thinner with 30 percent density left and 32 years old. Should I expect that I would stabilise now?

Baldness is usually very aggressive from the 20s till the 30s. The speed slows down from the 30s to the 40s a little. From the 40s onwards it spmewhat stabilizes. But baldness is also very unpredictable and may keep progressing even after that.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

this is something i have been wondering myself.. i like above was balding at the age 19. to norwood 7 at 44 years old...   i have had 3 hair transplants now with a hope into trying to keep what ive got best i can with medication..