Microneedling 1 month results

I posted on this forum a month or so ago seeking advice for some thinning that I had been experiencing behind my transplanted frontal hairline. 

Thankfully I stumbled across a post by Shifty in which he reported amazing results from microneedling. Deciding to give it a go myself I have been rolling twice a week (Tuesday & Friday nights) with a 1.5mm roller and truthfully, am blown away with the results too. The thinning part has almost completely filled in within just one month! I could notice improved results by the 2nd week!

Seriously guys, imho it is about time derma-rolling or micro-needling gets a boost in recognition! Im not sure if it can bring follicles back from the dead, but it can definitely give a big boost to sick, thinning follicles.

68448935_402973550351484_3850102722443345920_n (1).jpg

70547281_2661705977173494_945805829267783680_n.jpg

Edited by Mikey1970
grammatical errors
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very solid results for one month. I'm not sure if microneedling revives truly dead follicles but I think sometimes we assume follicles are dead when in reality they are miniaturized to the point of near invisibility. I suspect this is often the case with diffused thinners or folks with small bald patches in the middle of hair such as in your case.

Howerver, I've actually seen some interesting outliers there as well including with a burn victim.

• Like 1

I do it in the thinning area only, to the point of light bleeding.

I was a bit worried about making my hair worse at first but the gamble paid off. Obviously the wounding significantly attracts increased blood flow to the affected area and the follicles have responded like wildfire.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Mikey mate I’m glad to see things have completely turned around. What’s your microneedling regiment like? Daily, every other day? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1.5 mm roller, Tuesday & Friday nights Melvin. I roll over back and forth across the weaker area's to the point of light bleeding right before I go to bed. In the morning I wash my hair normally & apply the rogaine foam.

I would never have even tried microneedling if it wasn't for Shifty's posts - I have followed the regime that worked so well for him.

7 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

I wonder what would happen if someone with DUPA tried it 🤔

where did you see the burn victim case? that must have been such a relief for them

I'll have to see if I can find it. It was basically a collection of anecdotes suggesting that wounding, such as with microneedling, somehow triggered a hair growth response in the healing process. One of the earlier examples was a photo of a guy who had a huge burn on top of his scalp but somehow seemed like he had his hair grow back fuller and healthier than before he was burned. I may have it bookmarked somewhere but I'll have to look when I have a chunk of time to search.

11 hours ago, Mycroft said:

I'll have to see if I can find it. It was basically a collection of anecdotes suggesting that wounding, such as with microneedling, somehow triggered a hair growth response in the healing process. One of the earlier examples was a photo of a guy who had a huge burn on top of his scalp but somehow seemed like he had his hair grow back fuller and healthier than before he was burned. I may have it bookmarked somewhere but I'll have to look when I have a chunk of time to search.

I believe I have seen this too and the photos, can’t recall if I saved it somewhere.

10 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

@Mycroft more a curiosity more than anything so no rush at all. i would have thought that how after a burn the skin contracts to heal (thus why burn victims need skin grafts) would somehow effect any possibility for regrowth. Sort of fascinating how this stuff works

Nice to see non surgical paths here working for people Mikey!

It is very fascinating how the body heals...funny enough....I have also seen up-close a slightly similar burn healing hair regrowth case...myself actually haha

Back when I was very young, around 11-12 years old I accidentally knocked over my mother scorching hot clothing iron with my left forearm, the burn band from the iron area was soooo bad and the amount of layers of skin that came off was very bad and I recall it was very bloody and probably to down to between the epidermis and dermis. I did not alert my parents and hid the injury from them, I decided to resolve it myself by going to the local drugstore and buying boxes of medical gauze, rubbing alcohol, wrap bandage. It was painful and the pain lasted months, and each time I changed the bandage it was still bloody and hadn’t healed, as barely a teenager and always out biking hanging out with friends the bandage would always be roughed up, and it was tough to handle it at school the burning pain was awful and hard not to think about... it literally took a year + to decently heal, after many boxes of gauze. When it finally did heal the burn skin area was bare of any hair and I thought it would be like that forever and just a huge bare scar on my forearm.....thankfully another year or so passed and new hair grew back in the scar and the skin fully recovered.

So when the scientist behind the WnT pathway and wounding discovered that wounding can trigger new hair growth...that led to the founding of the company Follica and their methods I knew they were on to something that was genuine as my awful burn wounding on my forearm did grow new hair.

Photo is of my left forearm today...It is very difficult even now for me to try and find the huge  1.5”x 3” rectangular scar as I have to push the hair aside and look real close in bright lighting.

927446E8-DFD4-4EE9-85B8-BA727A7DAB16.jpeg

On 9/19/2019 at 8:42 PM, Panamera13 said:

I have been dermarolling for almost 10 months with no change...I use 1mm roller. Am I doing something wrong?

try 1.5. Twice a week. No minox when derma rolling but you can use the next day/night depending on when you derma. 

• Like 1

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 10:29 PM, Mikey1970 said:

I do it in the thinning area only, to the point of light bleeding.

I was a bit worried about making my hair worse at first but the gamble paid off. Obviously the wounding significantly attracts increased blood flow to the affected area and the follicles have responded like wildfire.

Where did you buy the needle thingy? Can it be effective on its own, without minox?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Thisisnotatest333 said:

Where did you buy the needle thingy? Can it be effective on its own, without minox?

You definitely want to use it in conjunction with minoxidil. A reason why it works so well is because it helps with the absorption of minoxidil IMO.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.