In regards to sun exposure, the general consensus seems to be avoidance of direct sun exposure during the post-op healing period, and you should cover the recipient area and/or wear sunscreen on the recipient for a year - the reason being that the skin is very susceptible to sunburn/damage while its repairing.

What I can't seem to find an answer to is how literal these instructions need to be adhered to. Does this mean that the recipient needs to be covered at *all* times - including, for example, if you are walking outside during the day in the sun for a few minutes or driving in a car when there is sun out? It would seem to be that a common sense approach here is appropriate. If you are going to have prolonged direct sun exposure (more than 15 minutes?), you should cover up or wear sunscreen - essentially just treat your skin as if it can be very easily sunburned.

Or should I be treating sunlight like its a death plague and treat all sunlight as if every second is burning my grafts to death?

According to my dermatologist, 3.5 minutes of direct sunlight begins to effect the skin.  If you're going out in the sun, you should wear a hat.

You should avoid direct long term sun on recipient zone for a couple of months.  Multiple docs ive spoken to suggest it can be detrimental and elevate risk to the grafts.  

What if you’re in a car for several hours and it’s sunny outside? No direct sun light but uv rays are still able to penetrate the windows.

Doctors ive spoken to have mentioned more direct constant rays.  It is quite natural to get some sun, whether you are sitting in your office and some light shines through windows or driving and having some sunlight on and off.  

But standing on a bright sunny day with direct sunlight for more than 10 minutes and no shade on a sidewalk will probably not be in your best interest.  Some docs suggest wearing caps when grafts are safely anchored per their own guidlines.  

There are two sides to this, if your body is without any sun and you are active only in the evening hours-like dracula- you are risking lower levels of vitamin d, which, can be detrimental to your hair as well.  

Good info . Im 4 month post and almost forgot about the sun exposure. Summer is coming up will be more careful and diligent using some sunscreen on scalp. anyone have some suggstions 30-40-60 SPF? Regular sunscreen? or maybe a moisturizer cream more like a cosmetic product?

Don't overthink things, if you're walking to work from your car without a hat you're okay. Lately, it's been raining here in California, so it isn't a huge issue at the moment. Now if you're gonna go fishing or spending a day at the beach where your head will be exposed for hours, then definitely wear a hat.

If you would wear sunscreen, wear a hat keep it simple like that. I don't put on sunscreen to go to the store, but if I'm going on a hike I bring sunscreen.

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Editorial Assistant and Forum Co-Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

This is my biggest fear as I'll be outside a lot and have a few beach vacations planned.  Do you need to get a baseball cap that has upf protection or is that a marketing ploy?  I know you shouldn't be wearing a mesh or trucker hat, but will a normal baseball cap be sufficient?