What Is The Secret? hair transplant Surgeons Refuse To Do My Original Hairline

I have about NW3. My current front hairline is 2-3 cm above its original place.

A week ago I visiting one famous hair transplant surgeon for surgery, and during discussion of the new hairline he drew suggested hairline, which was much above my original hairline and more straight. I was not satisfied and he asked me to draw desirable hairline by myself. I draw it, and my line was exactly in its original place (I can find it if I wrinkle my forehead), which is lower and have curly corners (not right corners as surgeon drew).

Surgeon said me:

Dr: It is not natural looking hairline, I never will do it.

Me: How it is not natural if it my original place of hairline? It was created by nature.

Dr: No, it does not looking natural.

Me: OK, you can think it does not look natural, but I am paying money. Can you do this hairline?

Dr: No, never. I don't want kill you, you will suffer your whole life.

Me: Why? Is there any technical reason?

Dr: No technical reasons. I can do any hairline. But this hariline is "Micky mouse style", not natural looking. And you will not have enough donor hair for future surgery on crown .

Me: Crown is not such important for me, front hairline is more important. Can you do hairline as I drew?

Dr: No, my reputation is important for me, I will not do unnatural looking hairline.

Me: I will not have any claim if you do hairline as I asking. I will be happy. I can never say nobody that you did it surgery if you think it is bad for you reputation. I can sign any paper about confidence.

Dr: No, I will not do it.

So, I was very upset. I was waiting and preparing for this surgery a long time, spent money for flight tickets and hotel. And I have nothing finally.

Now I am contacting another surgeon and I am discussing desirable hairline in advance. Unfotunately, the same problems appeared. This surgeon also say the same words "this hairline not looking natural", "my design is right corners", "hairline is too low", etc. etc...

So, my question - what is the secret? Why hair transplant surgeons do not want do hairline in its original place? Why they do not want do curly forehead corners, but want do right corners? What is the reason? Is it any technical reason? Why they don't explain it? Is it country-specific thing (both surgeons from the same country)?

You choose a reputable doctor because of his skill, experience and moral values. What is more important to this doctor is your appearance and not your money. I congratulate this doctor for being ethical. There are many clinics in the world that will do whatever you want, as long as you pay. After reading your dialogue I would question any doctor that would agree with giving you this kind of a hairline.

I think a doctor has more experience than you knowing what is a natural hairline. If they do not think your demands or expectations are not reasonable or unnatural, you leave them no choice but to say no.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I agree with the doc. It would take 4k or more grafts to give you that hairline. Generally a mature hairline is 2 fingers above your highest wrinkle. The more conservative the more dense of a result you can get and the happier you'll be in the long run.

You'd be really surprised how different you'll feel and look with an appropriate hairline.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

In my opinion that is not a natural hairline. I agree with Spanker.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

I agree with Spanker, Lorenzo and the docs, they were being kind, the design is comical and you're trying to bring it down to when you were in your teens which isn't age appropriate. You're going to chew thru you donor supply fast, transplanting into a barren area just eats them up and to get the kind of density I am sure you are going to want, you'll just be pissed that you went down this road. No good doc is going to want to take that on.

Two things: The hairline you drew needs some tweaking, but you should be in on the decision about how to use your hair.

About tweaking: Looking to put your original hairline back in place is not a crime. But you may not have it exactly right. I would find some old pictures that clearly show your old hairline. Someone could then draw it for you, maybe a new doctor. You should keep in mind that being inside your own head for a long time about this could cause your memory of your past hairline to change a lot. Get some help with drawing that line and be ready to give up your thinking about your hairline. Others can see it like you can't.

About the decision: A good reputable doctor in the USA will listen to your needs and want to make you happy. If you're happy, he/she will have succeeded. I myself have met three of the most respected doctors on this site and all of them respected my needs. And to that I say Thank God.

Two things: The hairline you drew needs some tweaking, but you should be in on the decision about how to use your hair.

About tweaking: Looking to put your original hairline back in place is not a crime. But you may not have it exactly right. I would find some old pictures that clearly show your old hairline. Someone could then draw it for you, maybe a new doctor. You should keep in mind that being inside your own head for a long time about this could cause your memory of your past hairline to change a lot. Get some help with drawing that line and be ready to give up your thinking about your hairline. Others can see it like you can't.

About the decision: A good reputable doctor in the USA will listen to your needs and want to make you happy. If you're happy, he/she will have succeeded. I myself have met three of the most respected doctors on this site and all of them respected my needs. And to that I say Thank God.

1. Seeing a doc in the USA has nothing to do with anything. Great docs all over the world.

2. Every good doc listens to their patients but they have to act in the best interest of the patient. There is a give and take with that. Your particular wants may have been realistic given your loss and donor, anothers may not, you pick doctors for their expertise and experience, you are more than welcome to hear multiple points of view but if the consensus is what you don't want to hear, that doesn't mean they are not listening to you, it means you are not listening to them. A respected doc will give you the realities, good and bad...and sometimes that means saying no to a patient.

Respecting your needs and doing what is right are two completely different things. No moral doctor is going to respect anyone needs if it involved problems in the future.

" Doctor I want this low hairline'

" But you will look unnatural, this hairline is too low and you will look like a monkey'

" I do not care, you MUST respect my needs" ;)

If your needs are within reason and can be achieved great, if not it is a mistake for any doctor to proceed with a surgery he feels in unnatural just to satisfy someone's NEEDS,

That hairline you drew would look hideous. Kudos to that doctor for refusing to do it. He did you a HUGE favor by refusing your business. You are going to really regret it a couple of years from now if you end up doing that hairline.

I have about NW3. My current front hairline is 2-3 cm above its original place.

A week ago I visiting one famous hair transplant surgeon for surgery, and during discussion of the new hairline he drew suggested hairline, which was much above my original hairline and more straight. I was not satisfied and he asked me to draw desirable hairline by myself. I draw it, and my line was exactly in its original place (I can find it if I wrinkle my forehead), which is lower and have curly corners (not right corners as surgeon drew).

Surgeon said me:

Dr: It is not natural looking hairline, I never will do it.

Me: How it is not natural if it my original place of hairline? It was created by nature.

Dr: No, it does not looking natural.

Me: OK, you can think it does not look natural, but I am paying money. Can you do this hairline?

Dr: No, never. I don't want kill you, you will suffer your whole life.

Me: Why? Is there any technical reason?

Dr: No technical reasons. I can do any hairline. But this hariline is "Micky mouse style", not natural looking. And you will not have enough donor hair for future surgery on crown .

Me: Crown is not such important for me, front hairline is more important. Can you do hairline as I drew?

Dr: No, my reputation is important for me, I will not do unnatural looking hairline.

Me: I will not have any claim if you do hairline as I asking. I will be happy. I can never say nobody that you did it surgery if you think it is bad for you reputation. I can sign any paper about confidence.

Dr: No, I will not do it.

So, I was very upset. I was waiting and preparing for this surgery a long time, spent money for flight tickets and hotel. And I have nothing finally.

Now I am contacting another surgeon and I am discussing desirable hairline in advance. Unfotunately, the same problems appeared. This surgeon also say the same words "this hairline not looking natural", "my design is right corners", "hairline is too low", etc. etc...

So, my question - what is the secret? Why hair transplant surgeons do not want do hairline in its original place? Why they do not want do curly forehead corners, but want do right corners? What is the reason? Is it any technical reason? Why they don't explain it? Is it country-specific thing (both surgeons from the same country)?

any reputable surgeon will try to replicate what a natural hairline will be for your age, facial aesthetics, etc. not the hairline you believe you should have at any particular age ... they project ahead 5-10-15 years as you "continue" to lose hair, because yes, hair loss is a continuous & progressive condition. If you lower your hairline, and over the years your native hair behind that transplanted band of hair goes, you will look "awkward" with an island for a hairline and nothing behind. I suggest you take the opinions of the multiple surgeons you have now seen as good advice. You will NEVER be able to replicate your original hairline or density from when you were 20. The fact of the matter is your donor is a limited supply of hair to provide the "illusion" of more hair when its transplanted properly. Seems like you need to do more homework and re-evaluate your expectations as to what a hair transplant can do for you.

ps - I just saw your pics and hairline that you drew and now I more fully understand the comments of others on this thread. Totally unreasonable and un-natural looking. Anything doctor that would perform work on you based on that hairline would be committing malpractice in my lay-man's opinion.

Age appropriateness is vital for a hair restoration's realism. Especially if you want the change to be a subtle but noteworthy one with a positive cosmetic impact.

Most men of a certain age don't have juvenile hairlines, so implementing one would look suspiciously out of place.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Spanker you work for Konior who just recently posted one of the lowest and most aggressive transplants I've seen in a long time. So this isn't inappropriate? This will always be age appropriate? lol

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/183349-raymond-konior-md-%7C-chicago-hair-institute-%7C-2926-graft-frontal-hairline-restoration.html

I love this result but come on.

Spanker you work for Konior who just recently posted one of the lowest and most aggressive transplants I've seen in a long time. So this isn't inappropriate? This will always be age appropriate? lol

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/183349-raymond-konior-md-%7C-chicago-hair-institute-%7C-2926-graft-frontal-hairline-restoration.html

I love this result but come on.

I can't speak for Spanker, but given the patient is 33 and not 18 to 24, this person has had a lot more time to gauge their hairloss pattern and be on preventative treatment regimens that allow them to stabilize future loss.

Restoring that man's hairline beyond a high forehead is possible and age appropriate given his hair loss stabilizing, he also has relatively light thinning in comparison to his age and a presumably dense donor availability.

Every patient is case by case, some people have the luxury of having considerations that allow surgeons to be more aggressive with them than others do.

And even though this patient has a lowered hairline, it still isn't a juvenile one.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• Moderators

If you don't like the Drs design of the hairline, you should try to discuss small changes to it to try to get it more to your liking without making too much of a drastic change from what the Dr is suggesting. Most Drs will give you some leeway to adjust it to your liking, but they won't let you go too far from what they think it should be. Next time try just a few subtle changes, such as slightly lower with just a bit of a widows peak in the middle. You may find it actually suits you very well once it grows in, but if it still doesn't you can always go back and add a bit more or lower it a bit if you have the donor supply for it. It's much harder to raise it if you think it's too low. Hairlines always look lower once the hair is fully grown in compared to just drawing a line where it will be.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

As a Scalp Micropigmentation artist I have the luxury of not worrying about running out of donor supply. I have had some clients come in with ideas of placing their hairline where it was in their youth. Thankfully this is a small percentage of clients, and the ones who are looking to go overly aggressive can usually be swayed to find something more age appropriate.

I find that working about four to five fingers above the eyebrows is usually good place to start. Then there are different degrees of temple recession you can play around with, not to mention forelock design. The headshape also comes into play when designing a hairline.

I'm actually about to start a series of videos and one of them is going to document what goes into designing a hairline and how to stay age appropriate.

seven32,

The placement/height of your design if doing SMP is certainly attainable (although I would tweak it quite a bit to make it look more natural). However, I must agree with the doctors and other forum members that to transplant that particular hairline would not be a good idea.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I think the patient's NEEDS are important. And a good doctor will listen. I'm so glad that drs. Konior, Bisanga--Yes I was wrong in my USA comment--and Lindsey have listened to me. If one doesn't want to accept the category that others think is best for him/her--the mature hairline category, for example--one can find a doctor who will listen. That doctor will help you find your way. That's not to say that you can get just what you want, but you can be happy with the doctor's help.

That hairline you have drawn on is ridiculous, why are you trying to get your original hairline back it’s totally innaproriate, the DR has your best intrests at heart and he’s done the right thing, if your trying to recapture your original junvenille hair your never going to be happy therefore I think surgery is not for you, until you lower your expectations

It sounds to me like you found an ethical doctor whose work and keeping the patient's best interest at the forefront are far more important to him than a paycheck. Trust me, you can bounce around and find surgeons who will do whatever you ask... But that doesn't mean you should. Reading the conversation you had with him (and seeing the subsequent photos) not only do I agree with the doctor that what your asking is unreasonable, but I don't think you're ready for a hair transplant at this point. You need to continue doing research, educating yourself on hair transplants, and trying your best to understand what the doctor was saying to you... He was giving you solid advice based on years of experience and being a medical professional, and I think he saved you from years of heartache.

I had a similar conversation with Dr. Mohebi when I had my consultation with him. I wasn't very well-versed in hair transplants and went in with the hopes of getting a ridiculously low, juvenile hairline. I was an uneducated layman who had no idea what I was asking for, and when Dr. Mohebi explained to me why he wouldn't give me the hairline I thought I wanted - very similar to the things this surgeon said to you - I took it into consideration and really listened to him. I surrendered my initial expectations, realized they were unrealistic, and only then were we able to have a conversation and find something that we would both be happy with. He gave me a few hundred more grafts than he initially recommended as a compromise and we settled on something we could both stand behind... And to be quite honest, in hindsight, I probably would've been just as happy with his initial recommendation.

All of that said, listen to the professionals and take their advice to heart. You should consider yourself very fortunate that you stumbled across a surgeon who told you no.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56