Worried about my donor area

patrick1916

I got a FUE transplant in August last year and am making progress on top and am looking to do the second one to cover the second part of the head (the back part). I had to send photos of my donor area to a the people who are doing the second transplant later in the year and it’s the first time in a while I’ve looked at my donor area. It seems very bare to me and just sent the pictures to them there and am worries that’s me done, which would be awful.

Attached some pictures there for people to view for opinions.

donor.thumb.jpg.d32c688539a8018188bdd73c0b88a630.jpg

donor2.thumb.jpg.4646998d92e4f299778355d22a35f079.jpg

donor3.thumb.jpg.01fcbf560ba9d757e6199732b4b5e969.jpg

Did you speak with your doc about your concerns?

Have you experimented with different hair lengths to see how things look in the back? Sometimes a good cut can make the difference.

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.

This looks like a classic sign of a over harvested donor area, Did you go to a FUE factory in turkey by any chance? This is where I hear of it happening the most.

This is why people should always op for FUT 1st time it gives you more options.

That being said if your hair Dosent improve keeping it short with a few rounds of SMP is a good cure

This looks like a classic sign of a over harvested donor area, Did you go to a FUE factory in turkey by any chance? This is where I hear of it happening the most.

This is why people should always op for FUT 1st time it gives you more options.

That being said if your hair Dosent improve keeping it short with a few rounds of SMP is a good cure

What's SMP?

I would look to some great repair doctors. Bisagna, cooley, shapiro, lupanzula. If you have a good beard, they be able to use that to repair the back of your head. That should be your first concern right now. Do not get another FUE.

I wouldn't fancy a scar on my head to be honest :(

That is concerning. HLS2015 makes some good points. See if those doctors can help.

At this point, i do not think the shockloss would return.

Approach this very carefully.

Looks like it is fairly weak.

Probably have limited grafts left, so I would be picky.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Classic clueless HLS2015 comment. Telling someone to use body hair BUT NOT FUE.

Surely daddies favourite ivy league lawyer would know what mutually exclusive is?

By the way I read your failed Rahal result and understand why you hate FUE now. Because you got FUE with an untrained tech using a MOTORISED EXTRACTION TOOL. Not all FUE is equal, and you made a bad choice by choosing a name over experience and method. Probably why you went to an Ivy league, and why they didn't even teach you first year logic properly.

"Dw guys, if you all come out retarded and ever lose an argument JUST TELL THEM YOU WENT TO HARVARD!!!"

JeanLucBergman said:
Classic clueless HLS2015 comment. Telling someone to use body hair BUT NOT FUE.

Surely daddies favourite ivy league lawyer would know what mutually exclusive is?

By the way I read your failed Rahal result and understand why you hate FUE now. Because you got FUE with an untrained tech using a MOTORISED EXTRACTION TOOL. Not all FUE is equal, and you made a bad choice by choosing a name over experience and method. Probably why you went to an Ivy league, and why they didn't even teach you first year logic properly.

"Dw guys, if you all come out retarded and ever lose an argument JUST TELL THEM YOU WENT TO HARVARD!!!"

Jean,

Your posts are very malicious and the tone is uncalled for.

HLS2015 is correct. You are incorrect.

Dr. Alan Feller said:
Jean,

Your posts are very malicious and the tone is uncalled for.

HLS2015 is correct. You are incorrect.

If that's the way you feel, then that's fine. In a previous post he was making posts towards me at least equally malicious, so I wouldn't say the tone is uncalled for.

Also on this point, body hair transplantation is a form of FUE, so clearly his post was nonsensical in regards to terminology. This was more of a jab than anything else. I do agree however that he is no longer a candidate for FUE.

Patrick1916, I am sorry you are having this issue. Both FUT and FUE are great procedures if the patient is well educated in what they can do and in the downside of either or both. FUE is not the newer procedure, it is a newer name for the old "plug" harvesting. In both harvesting methods a scar or scars are the result. In the FUT it is a long linear scar and if done well and healed well, the scar is many times extremely hard to find. In large FUE surgeries there are many small round scars that can give a "moth eaten or shot gun effect" with shorter hair styles. In neither can a patient expect to have the ability to shave without evidence of a surgery. With FUT if the incision is less than hoped for an FUE can be done to disguise it. With FUE little can be done because the donor area is difusely thinned. But there are other sources for more hair such as the beard!. The most efficient harvesting is done doing a strip first because more hair can be moved successfully with the least amount of waste and then use the FUE to finish it up if needed or desired. Both are good neither are perfect procedures. Many things also depend on the skill of the surgeon and clinic and what they use in surgery such as Acell which helps the body to heal with out as much chance of scarring. The benefit of FUE is less restrictions during the healing phase. It does not provide better or superior results. Be cautious about doing a second session without fully discussing your concerns about how it is now and how it is going to look if you do a second procedure.

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

Patrick1916, I am sorry you are having this issue. Both FUT and FUE are great procedures if the patient is well educated in what they can do and in the downside of either or both. FUE is not the newer procedure, it is a newer name for the old "plug" harvesting. In both harvesting methods a scar or scars are the result. In the FUT it is a long linear scar and if done well and healed well, the scar is many times extremely hard to find. In large FUE surgeries there are many small round scars that can give a "moth eaten or shot gun effect" with shorter hair styles. In neither can a patient expect to have the ability to shave without evidence of a surgery. With FUT if the incision is less than hoped for an FUE can be done to disguise it. With FUE little can be done because the donor area is difusely thinned. But there are other sources for more hair such as the beard!. The most efficient harvesting is done doing a strip first because more hair can be moved successfully with the least amount of waste and then use the FUE to finish it up if needed or desired. Both are good neither are perfect procedures. Many things also depend on the skill of the surgeon and clinic and what they use in surgery such as Acell which helps the body to heal with out as much chance of scarring. The benefit of FUE is less restrictions during the healing phase. It does not provide better or superior results. Be cautious about doing a second session without fully discussing your concerns about how it is now and how it is going to look if you do a second procedure.

Thanks for the really good post. I'm quite despondent because I definitely need one more procedure. I wish I’d done more research and realised I’d be better doing FUT first. I just think the thought of a scar puts me off and think the healing process would be much harder. I’ll check out my options but fairly downhearted that I’ve been over-harvested.:(

Patrick1916. My pleasure. Don't get upset yet. Coincidentally we just posted a similar type situation. A patient had gone to another surgeon and done FUE with thinning of the donor. Go to the search bar and look for the video posted. We did a strip on this patient and did a PRP treatment on him. I am not saying a strip is your only option but it is a good option. As I mentioned, the scar is a thing that has gotten a lot of attention because years ago it was not a focus and lots of bad ones were created. Just like with FUE, FUSS has also evolved in the right hands.

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

• Administrators

Can you post photos in different lighting, at that length in certain lighting even those who haven't had FUE can see through scalp. I'm not saying you are or aren't overharvested, but pictures can always be deceiving. I also wouldn't say that your donor looks unnatural, there are plenty of guys who have similar density never having surgery just take a look at this thread. http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169381-weak-donor-area-pics-attached-any-advice-2.html

Best of luck and please consult with some doctors in person before moving forward with a decision.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Can you post photos in different lighting, at that length in certain lighting even those who haven't had FUE can see through scalp. I'm not saying you are or aren't overharvested, but pictures can always be deceiving. I also wouldn't say that your donor looks unnatural, there are plenty of guys who have similar density never having surgery just take a look at this thread. http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169381-weak-donor-area-pics-attached-any-advice-2.html

Best of luck and please consult with some doctors in person before moving forward with a decision.

Darker light there. That any better?

hair1.thumb.jpg.e506a5525567bbf866783041dd61b96f.jpg

hair2.thumb.jpg.bb3ddc4428c8b26d2e5ffbe1963c0d0a.jpg

hair3.thumb.jpg.38ca6b85578f9d409095be3cda4cdd16.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does not look as bad as some are making it out to be. Based on what I've seen from other doctors, the light thinning in the donor area is probably due to your FUE being unshaven. Several docs I have read up on wont do unshaven as it does have a tendency to be less accurate and more transection occurs. Any decent surgeon should be able to transplant extra grafts in those few thin areas pretty easily on your next procedure though! Definitely do shaven, if you do FUE again. I would not do FUT, just my opinion. I like the result of my FUT but even a good scar is not near as good as a correctly done shaven FUE on the remaining harvestable areas in your case. And the healing process was somewhat brutal. Whatever you do, don't listen to anyone here who hasn't even ever had an HT. Just my 2 cents

Edited by TedsDead