3382 grafts - Lupanzula

KO

Definitely an improvement from pre-op - in large part because you've replaced all the miniaturized hairs with healthier hairs. That being said, if I'm being completely honest, I tend to agree with you that for 3,300 grafts into the frontal third I would've hoped for a denser result and would not be happy if this was my final result.

Might look a bit better if you grew the hair a bit longer. Also the pics are pretty blurry and appear to be taken under harsh overhead lighting. Would help if we could see pics taken in more natural light and maybe have a GF or friend take them so it's less blurry and better angled.

I haven't gone and re-read this thread but did you stop taking fin for a bit or something like that?

• Administrators

The result is not bad, we have to remember hair transplants are an “illusion” of density not actual density, in order to achieve a fuller appearance you have to layer the hair, to maximize a transplant you really need to find the sweet spot for length, I think once you find that sweet spot you’ll be happy with the results, with that said if you’re not happy now I suggest reaching out to the clinic I’m sure they would be willing to offer more guidance.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in posting. I have been dealing with an unrelated health issue. But as promised here are my 10M photos. I sent them to the clinic, and their response was that they note improvement over the frontal region where the surgery was done. While I note the improvement, the density is not as great as I had hoped.

Please let me know what you all think- this is 10 Months. I will also post 12 Month images.

Hope you see more improvement at 12 months KO. I’d agree, density is not there yet. Did the clinic say anything else other than ‘they noted improvement in frontal zones’. Overall, what matters is that the goal you pursued is reached when this is done. Hope youbare happy in the end, that’s what matters. Best wishes.

KO,

I agree with some of the previous posts but like yourself given where you started the final result appears still appear to be sub par.

As HTSoon mentioned I would consider growing your hair longer and side part or comb back. This should make your hair appear denser.

I would circle back with the clinic if you haven't already and get their take. A second pass/repair to add density frontal 1/3 and mid scalp may be something to consider.

Best of Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to grow my hair out where a side part is feasible, but it just looks thin and limp. I get that there is growth, but with 3.5k grafts (with very high graft count including sextuples (!)), and a coarse hair caliber I think it was fair to expect more...

I had mentioned in an older thread that though I like his work and the clinic's feel and reputation, I wasn't overly impressed with Lupanzula's density.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185449-dr-lupanzula-pros-cons.html

Cons

- Possibly not a density king?! If you look closely at his hairlines and some areas behind the hairline you can see scalp even in pictures with many patients. I don't know, even though my transplanted hair does not have "amazing" density at least in pics you cannot see my scalp. Bit worried about this..

Sorry it didn't work you for you man. Have a repair procedure with Konior, Erdogan or Lorenzo.

Konior being my top choice if you can get a booking with him.

best of luck

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• Administrators
I had mentioned in an older thread that though I like his work and the clinic's feel and reputation, I wasn't overly impressed with Lupanzula's density.

Cons

- Possibly not a density king?! If you look closely at his hairlines and some areas behind the hairline you can see scalp even in pictures with many patients. I don't know, even though my transplanted hair does not have "amazing" density at least in pics you cannot see my scalp. Bit worried about this..

Sorry it didn't work you for you man. Have a repair procedure with Konior, Erdogan or Lorenzo.

best of luck

Hey HSRP,

How’s the temple points coming along? I remember that thread vividly, it’s always important to stay grounded, at the time many members were touting Dr. L as the second coming of Christ. I still stick to my original assessment, the work is good, natural, but no wow factor, and that’s why it’s important to find doctors who perform surgery on patients with the same level of hair loss.

With that said, this case I think is a bit more of expectation management and perhaps yield. KO for as much fin +dut that he takes is still a Norwood 6, the pattern is there 3K+ grafts will never look the same on a Norwood 6 then it does on a Norwood 3, that’s why you see Erdogan cases where the hair loss is Norwood 3 and the graft count is the same, obviously the result will look way different. I do think the approach may have been done differently, I think more grafts should have been tightly packed in the band of the hairline, this would’ve allowed for a solid looking result,the hair layered the middle wouldn’t appear as weak even though it would be in reality.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Hey HSRP,

How’s the temple points coming along? I remember that thread vividly, it’s always important to stay grounded, at the time many members were touting Dr. L as the second coming of Christ. I still stick to my original assessment, the work is good, natural, but no wow factor, and that’s why it’s important to find doctors who perform surgery on patients with the same level of hair loss.

With that said, this case I think is a bit more of expectation management and perhaps yield. KO for as much fin +dut that he takes is still a Norwood 6, the pattern is there 3K+ grafts will never look the same on a Norwood 6 then it does on a Norwood 3, that’s why you see Erdogan cases where the hair loss is Norwood 3 and the graft count is the same, obviously the result will look way different. I do think the approach may have been done differently, I think more grafts should have been tightly packed in the band of the hairline, this would’ve allowed for a solid looking result,the hair layered the middle wouldn’t appear as weak even though it would be in reality.

Hey man! I was able to get a last minute booking with Dr. Konior last January. Was really really fortunate with that.

The temple points were done aggressively and natural by Dr. K in a FUE procedure where I also had some minor final density boost done in the frontal third for a total of 700 grafts approx.

Even though I had been off of fin for 7-8 months until recently, overall things are just great. I'm 99% cured with no more minor trouble spots (did decide to restart Fin just for long-term maintenance's sake about 1x week).

Back to the thread at hand, there was something that concerned me about Dr. L's density as I could see in it pics especially in those two links I posted in the original thread.

When you've had multiple procedures and have done as much research as we have along the way, it comes in just one pic or look - you can tell it immediately.

Just like your comments in that thread, I know that you as a veteran made a highly experienced call about the lack of "wow" factor.

It's either there or not and us veterans can spot it quickly.

I think a follow up repair procedure with one of the elite docs will make a world of difference here in his case.

With a concentrated focus on the density in the hairline and frontal third.

As we know, it sometimes takes a second or even further procedures to perfect things just right.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Personally, I think this result is not bad. It is not a wow result either, but unfortunately I see a different Problem:

The hairloss is still in full rage here. Despite DUT the crown was lost, in just a few month. Most likely all native hair which were in the front a gone now as well. Maybe even the transplanted hair has thinned. No way you get a homerun result like that :-(

Cons

best of luck

Thanks. Fair point, but I guess nothing can be done now. This has been such a draining exercise, I don't know if I have it in me to get even more work done. Time will tell I guess.

Edited by KO

Hang in there man, the journey has lots of ups and downs and I do think if you go with a top elite surgeon (Lorenzo, Konior, Hasson, and maybe Erdogan (??)) you can get to where you want to be.

At one time I was royally screwed by Bosley and then after I thought I was finally home free after my decent Hasson results I lost a lot of it to Nizoral, that was really quite devastating to me!

I'm not liking the anecdotal evidence and reports on SMP and health issues, forum veteran Lorenzo mentioned his here.

I would try to go one more round of FUE for the frontal third to boost density, but that's just me.

Hope everything works out for you.

go dense or go home

Hey mate - don't be soo hard on yourself.

I don't think this is a bad result. It's not amazing either but depending on expectations some people would be satisfied and others wouldn't.

Overall, being prepared for the worse is something that every patient should consider...as their are many risks to surgery and achieving a homerun result which I don't think many people take into consideration and just assume they'll be one of the lucky ones.

Having said that, I also had a procedure with Dr. Lupanzula and I am 4 weeks post op. I don't know what to expect after 12 months however I am preparing myself to be ready to have another procedure if it calls for it. Someone like myself who had a lot of hair loss (and perhaps yourself as well - our hair loss was very similar), I think it's almost imminent that we would need at least two procedures to be satisfied

Hope everybody gets a great transplant. I guess I'll be trolling an SMP forum from now on.

Yea; keep your head up. You did everything correctly yet genetics trump everything when it comes to hair loss.

Give it some time and down the road you might want to re-address your hair condition.

By endurance we conquer.

• 6 months later...

I’m beginning to think that some of these poorer results are more common than we actually find out about , there are 2 main stream fue results that really set alarm bells ringing especially as both a big sports stars in the uk (Wayne Rooney , Stuart broad) and could prob afford to go to any clinic in the world . Both results lack any kind of density and have in my option left the patients looking worse than when they started .... the term “illusion of density” is one I have read for years , is this the excuse given by ht doctors as a kind of get out clause if the results they sell to you in the consultation room don’t come to fruition ?? 

In any case I suppose what I’m trying to get across is YOU WILL NEVER GET BACK YOUR TEENAGE HAIRLINE any doctor who says you can should be avoided . The key is to be conservative with your grafts and don’t expect density , even after surgery you are going to have to style your hair or use products such as fibres or sea salt spray etc to give better coverage to what is basically a thin patchy head of hair covered in scars . 

I have researced for years and visited various doctors in a hope to get my hairline restored but unfortunately I never felt comfortable enough to pull the trigger as I always felt there was something not quite right . 

To all you young guys chasing your hairline , sit back get on some hair loss meds and wait . I personally don’t think fue is the answer ..... don’t be a victim to marketing , none of the surgeons share there below par results for a reason . 

Please see see a picture of Stuart broad below 

54F3F04A-0D0C-46EC-9FCF-7A395BC4BB37.jpeg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Let’s not turn this in to an FUE vs FUT campaign. Poor results occur on both sides. 

Imo Rooney can look better, but he still looks good. Before anyone points to the obvious fact that he used dermmatch. As someone who recently started using concealer, there is no way a concealer will look natural unless you have enough hair. All in all especially considering he’d probably be a slick Norwood 5, he looks good. But his beard is going grey, jeez the guy can’t catch a break.

2D0D5D89-B762-4384-9E54-8237C3D0EA01.jpeg

F09C0942-657E-45D8-ABA3-1E2F9B9DC7DB.jpeg

View my thread

Going back to KO's result, one explanation could be that his native hair never really recovered due to shockloss. If it had, then along with the transplanted hair the effect would be expected to be better.

Another explanation could be that is his native hair recovered through drugs and the grafts themselves didn't grow, I suppose the only way to know for sure is to stop the meds........risky!

But I agree that KO should experiment with growing his hair longer on top, 1 - 1.5 inches is the ideal length to create the best 'illusion' (there's that magic word again) of density.

Personally I would just recommend he go for another pass across his hairline, midscalp and crown, 2000-2500 grafts will make the world of difference and its a relatively straight forward surgery that shouldn't cost the earth.

As for Rooney, I bet he's made up he can still appear to have a full head of hair!

Also, some of you should take heart from the many patients including myself and others on this forum who have researched to a point and then 'taken the leap of faith' with a surgeon we believe in and moved upwards and onwards. I know some won't agree with that but one can only do so much research before its time to take action. You see it every day in life, the guys that research and the guys that do!

I think some patients may just research themselves out and completely forget the reasons why they researched in the first place. If you are not 100% in yourself and you see countless examples of people in similar situations to yourself committing to a surgery and walking out the other side feeling brand new then why would you not want a piece of that. What are you waiting for?

There's a small risk it might fail, but if you aren't prepared to take the risk then why waste time researching.

Why do anything at all?

• Like 2

• Administrators

I think Shera brings up some fair points, researching is important, absolutely you want to make sure you go to a competent surgeon that is the most important factor. However, there is a point of diminishing returns, where guys spend years and years on message boards waiting for hair cloning, waiting for the perfect surgeon, waiting for the perfect moment, and in all likelihood that moment never comes. Nothing in life is without a risk. The trick is taking calculated risks. I’m glad I did and I’m sure Shera did too, now I’m living he life I didn’t in my 20’s.  With that said, KO is not in a bad position, still plenty of donor hair left and his results are not bad. He can just use an improvement in density, a simple touch up procedure.

View my thread