Current Coup in Turkey - might be time to reshedcule that HT

Grouchy

All flights from Istanbul's Ataturk Airport have been cancelled, a Reuters witness said on Friday, citing a pilot, after the military said it had taken control of the government.

Looks like nobody is having a HT soon in Turkey.

airport closed down, its mayhem going on at the moment.

Hope none of our members havent been caught up in this crap right now.

Can someone with knowledge about Turkey and their political situation, clarify why the military are trying to take control over the country?

I know there have been failed attempts in the past.

From what I can gather there a quiet a few issues with the current political regime and regarding freedoms of speech, national security and other basic rights that are taken for granted in most of the western world ?

Would I be correct in this assumption from my very limited reading since finding out about this

I just received an email from two Italians that were on their way to turkey. They were booked by a hair mill and cancelled their appoimtment. They didn't lose much because they had to pay by cash and probaly will lose a deposit. They now are asking me where they can go for another surgery. They also said that another Italian had his money taken away at the customs and it was written on an Italian forum. I keep looking and can't find anything about it on any of their forums. Regardless I hope there is a safe and non violent closure to this attempted coupe.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

A few different factors. Mainly I believe due to the fact that the president has chosen to move them further to becoming a Muslim nation once more and the army is supposed to keep the government secular. That's the official rhetoric anyway. Also very high conscription rates in Turkey since he came into office. Also Erogan is a prick, but democratically elected. Turkey is always fighting for a particular identity. Whether that's democracy or autocracy, Muslim or secular.

The situation in Turkey has gone from bad to worse. Trrorist attacks as we have seen in France, America, Iraq, Bangladesh, etc can occur anywhere and that's a risk all of us face wherever we travel abroad for a holiday, business or for something like a transplant. My biggest concern would be for anyone who is currently in that country as a tourist whether it's leisure or medical/surgical. Secondly, for those who have operations booked in Turkey it raises huge concerns about the travel risk. Thirdly, for the clinics and doctors and their tourist industry as a whole it is about to be severely affected and they don't deserve that, especially the recommended clinics on this site.

I have to say that last night, as I was watching the news and seeing the attempted coup live, I thought that was it and I'm done with the idea of a HT in Turkey even if I lose my deposit, but today, with the coup foiled and things appearing to normalise quickly I have giving the place one last chance (following the airport bombing last month).

Besides safety, I do wonder what the knock on effect might of all these things (terrorist attacks, attempted military coup). If tourism is down 60% (prob like to be even more after this) then whats happening with all the clinics? If clinics aren't getting the customers, they will surely start laying off staff and possibly cutting corners to save money .. which could result in a poor outcome if grafts are implanted in the required time, etc.

Has anyone heard any feedback from the well known Turkey clinics? Drop in customers? staff being let go? I have to say if I hadn't already paid my deposit I wouldn't now consider Turkey which is a real shame.

I was in Istanbul having my transplant just 3 days before the airport bombings. Now the failed coup. To be honest no where is safe, just look at Nice. Justjax I'm sure you will be fine, if I was in your shoes I'd still go for it, unless things deteriorate but I doubt it given the country will be on lock down following the coup. When are you going?

I was in Istanbul having my transplant just 3 days before the airport bombings. Now the failed coup. To be honest no where is safe, just look at Nice. Justjax I'm sure you will be fine, if I was in your shoes I'd still go for it, unless things deteriorate but I doubt it given the country will be on lock down following the coup. When are you going?

Hi HairsGone, I'm due to fly out on Sun 9th Oct and back Fri 14th. No disrespect, but people keep saying look at Nice or Orlando, etc .. but those are one off attacks in a city, where as Istanbul has had about 6-7 terrorist attacks this year alone and now the attempted coup too.

With that said, I will see how things play out in the next few months. I'm quite up and down about all this. The bombing at the airport in June freaked me out, but I calmed down a day or two later but then this attempted coup set off alarm bells again. I'm sure I will be fine if I go as planned but with some much volatility in the city and country its quite stressful. Another worry is that currently the FAA (US's Federal Aviation Administration) has banned all flights from and to Turkey via the US because of concerns around security at the airports. I think the ban is currently in place until 31st Aug but could be revised.I'll feel much more assured if that gets lifted in the next week or so.

Its a mess out there right now.

what about all the guys who has booked HT will them clincs refund? I bet a lot of them wont but we need to keep a eye on the clinics which are members of this forum to see how this all plays out., maybe the admin here can contact them to see where if any members here stand especially the one who are due to have HT in this next month or so.

There's a lot of stuff going on over there, that the Turkish citizen's don't even know, so its worse for people who's not from there right?

Its surely is a mess for doctors & soon to be poor HT guys right now.

I hope somebody from this forum admin can verify & most importantly reassure members if & when they can speak directly with Turkish Doctors so everyone has a idea of what is what.

Its a mess out there right now.

what about all the guys who has booked HT will them clincs refund? I bet a lot of them wont but we need to keep a eye on the clinics which are members of this forum to see how this all plays out., maybe the admin here can contact them to see where if any members here stand especially the one who are due to have HT in this next month or so.

There's a lot of stuff going on over there, that the Turkish citizen's don't even know, so its worse for people who's not from there right?

Its surely is a mess for doctors & soon to be poor HT guys right now.

I hope somebody from this forum admin can verify & most importantly reassure members if & when they can speak directly with Turkish Doctors so everyone has a idea of what is what.

Must admit, seeing video of people walking right through the unmanned security checkpoints at the airport and into the transit areas and Tarmac was an eye opener for me.

Must admit, seeing video of people walking right through the unmanned security checkpoints at the airport and into the transit areas and Tarmac was an eye opener for me.

I wonder if this is whats lead to the FAA banning all flights to Turkey from the US. Can't beleive they are allowing security to be compromised given the recent bombings. Unless they have detained some many military (was it police or military at the airports?) that they don't have people to cover? What's interesting is that while the US has banned flights, other countries seem happy to continue flying. Anyway, at this stage I'm still planning on going, I just hope that things settle down over the next 3 months and nothing else esculates.

On a postive note, I see that ASMED (who often post on Facebook and Twitter) posted a big smiley pic of the team with a spanish patient today. Hopefully things are carrying on as normal with them and they aren't being too impact by recent events.

Although I didn't go with Civas , received an email from their clinic today trying to reassure patients and prospective patients that everything is fine .

I suppose that's all they can do in this situation from teir viewpoint .Now , whether you actually believe it or not is a different matter .I'm sure it'll probably settle down over the next month or so anyway .

Although I didn't go with Civas , received an email from their clinic today trying to reassure patients and prospective patients that everything is fine .

I suppose that's all they can do in this situation from teir viewpoint .Now , whether you actually believe it or not is a different matter .I'm sure it'll probably settle down over the next month or so anyway .

Interesting, I wonder how much of a drop in business the clinics have had. Must surely have has some impact. In positive news, the FAA has lifted the ban on flights to and from Turkey so thats a step in the right direction. Almost wish I was going sooner before anymore drama kicks off over there. :D

Yes good news I guess but have at mind that one of the coop guys fled to the US & Turkey is formally asking him to be extradited back to Turkey & if US drags that out through there slow ass process then I bet you Turkey will soon cut off US, I mean the relationship betwee. US & Turkey is strained anyways so all they want is excuse to cut them off permanently

& the US will be wise to accommodate Turkey whatever, whenever they need as US needs Turkey on there side for several reasons one being the war against isis & 2 keeping a close eye on Russia in the black sea & there shady cargo they carry.

Edited by ontop
edit