Rahal for FUE? - ready to commit

undefined88

Hi all,

New to the site, I have already learned so much from just a few days of browsing, so thank you everyone. I am 28 years old (from the Toronto area) and have been balding for about 6 years or so, I would say I am probably NW5/6. I am looking to commit to a HT procedure ASAP, and reached out to Dr. Rahal as of today for FUE. I have pretty dense hair and I wear it quite long, so I feel I may be able to get away with less density throughout including the donor area if it needs to be pushed close to 7000 FUE. My plan was to proceed with 3000 FUE to start to reestablish the front and mid scalp, an then another 3000 FUE in a few years to build the crown, then maybe another 1000 FUE 10 years out for touch ups. Given the poor CDN $ right now, I would prefer to stay regionally with Rahal, as opposed to lorenzo, feriduni, ergodan, konoir, or shapiro. That said, I am looking for the best work and would be willing to pay if necessary.

What do you think is the terminal stage of my balding pattern?

Do you guys feel that FUE is a reasonable strategy for me, as outlined above. Regarding FUT, I know my hair would hide the scars well, but I don't like the protracted recovery (time away from work and the gym) and its invasiveness in general. I would prefer no cuts and no large scar. I just feel that more could wrong with FUT even in the best hands.

Do you think that Dr. Rahal is a good choice for FUE? I have seen some of his FUE work on here, and it's quite good, granted for lower NW's.

Thank you all in advance for your help

IMG_5515.thumb.jpg.24c4a2103cd14964eaaff641abb9cbcd.jpg

IMG_5517.thumb.jpg.c5ff7231925b7c812ebd80b19a29df3b.jpg

IMG_5502.thumb.jpg.ca7a5a2f908ef40d347976a9268f368d.jpg

IMG_5499.thumb.jpg.da9671a524937295e3f3261e6cdae171.jpg

IMG_5523.thumb.jpg.fed88da3425952f8fd6ac3fc112c46f5.jpg

IMG_5411.thumb.jpg.47d9dd83c230809da952b30883a4aed8.jpg

IMG_5503.thumb.jpg.1e933d25c7c3e1917ed5d676bd9bbb1e.jpg

IMG_5524.thumb.jpg.aeb4d8da2bcd2486b7fbd74f7ee3de0c.jpg

I know you seem dead set against FUT, but for the amount of grafts you want I would give FUT another look. I had FUE for my first procedure, and while the results were good, if I were to do it again I'd do FUT to get it all done in as few surgeries as possible.

My very close friend had his FUT surgery with Rahal 1.5 years ago, and I'll tell you the linear scar is literally pencil thin. It's a complete non-issue. Yes there is always the possibly that your individual physiology could result in a widened scar, but I think in Rahal's hands that's a remote possibility.

With FUE, for that amount of grafts, the donor can look thinned out. I only did 1500 grafts, and under certain lighting conditions it is somewhat noticeable. Regardless, if you have the money and time to commit to many surgeries to get to your goal, then FUE would also be a good choice.

if you're keen to do FUE only, try and find a surgeon who can do you 4000 over 2 days, i think that would be very good start for you, seems odd you not wanted to touch your crown for a few more years, essentially whats the point of doing a HT in the first place knowing you're still pretty much at the starting point.

2000 for the front to mid scalp and 2000 for the crown and perhaps see if you can get beard transplants so in a few years you can top up the crown with more grafts

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

rahal is great for fue, no doubt. but he is great for FUT also. Seriously consider FUT and maybe getting 5000 grafts this first pass. if you get to the right DR, you will get a full head of hair with 5k grafts and you can do it in one shot. Please consult with hasson and wong and some others. I am pro FUE but I really only need my hairline done. You are an extensive case. I would try to get as much done with your first pass.

• Administrators

I've seen some poor results for Rahal doing FUE, there are far better choices for FUE, Dr. Lorenzo, Dr. Bisanga etc.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would not go to Rahal for FUE. Just because a surgeon is brilliant at FUT, doesn't mean he is brilliant at FUE.

If you want FUE, go to a clinic that does FUE exclusively, with a manual punch and you want the surgeon to be heavily involved in as much of the procedure as possible.

I have seen a few sub par FUE results from Rahal also.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

I would not go to Rahal for FUE. Just because a surgeon is brilliant at FUT, doesn't mean he is brilliant at FUE.

If you want FUE, go to a clinic that does FUE exclusively, with a manual punch and you want the surgeon to be heavily involved in as much of the procedure as possible.

Very unfair guys. I saw quite a few patients getting FUE done by Rahal when I had my procedure done with him in December. He does at least 1 FUE a day, his waitlist is 6 months long, and his head nurse Mike has been performing FUE extractions for years now. All the top clinics all have sub-par results out there, including Feriduni, Erdogan and even a few FUT ones for Hasson recently. The key point is we have not been seeing a consistent number of sub-par results from Rahal whilst we have also been seeing some outstanding results coming from his clinic of late too. Not saying there isn't truth to the statement, but I do think the misconception gets unfairly held against him. I can only tell you what I observed, and what I did observe was a man who is passionate and takes the utmost pride in his work. He has always stands behind his work 100%, and you can see his clinic always offering touch-ups and refunds for the bad cases. If you look at my earlier posts, I was in your camp believing that Rahal was a nonoo for FUE, but after meeting him in person, seeing the other patients and observing what I did, I changed my mind and would trust him to perform FUE on me once I'm stripped out. Also bear in mind that some of these bad FUE cases are stemming from years ago when he first started performing it, and used the Artis robot. My observation is that I see a man who has worked out the kinks and one that is supremely confident in his FUE work.

Btw - Rahal does use a manual punch, and although has delegated the extractions to Mike, he is just as involved as Lorenzo, Feriduni, Shapiro, and Erdogan who also have delegated the extractions but are renowned as the top FUE surgeons.

Hi all,

New to the site, I have already learned so much from just a few days of browsing, so thank you everyone. I am 28 years old (from the Toronto area) and have been balding for about 6 years or so, I would say I am probably NW5/6. I am looking to commit to a HT procedure ASAP, and reached out to Dr. Rahal as of today for FUE. I have pretty dense hair and I wear it quite long, so I feel I may be able to get away with less density throughout including the donor area if it needs to be pushed close to 7000 FUE. My plan was to proceed with 3000 FUE to start to reestablish the front and mid scalp, an then another 3000 FUE in a few years to build the crown, then maybe another 1000 FUE 10 years out for touch ups. Given the poor CDN $ right now, I would prefer to stay regionally with Rahal, as opposed to lorenzo, feriduni, ergodan, konoir, or shapiro. That said, I am looking for the best work and would be willing to pay if necessary.

What do you think is the terminal stage of my balding pattern?

Do you guys feel that FUE is a reasonable strategy for me, as outlined above. Regarding FUT, I know my hair would hide the scars well, but I don't like the protracted recovery (time away from work and the gym) and its invasiveness in general. I would prefer no cuts and no large scar. I just feel that more could wrong with FUT even in the best hands.

Do you think that Dr. Rahal is a good choice for FUE? I have seen some of his FUE work on here, and it's quite good, granted for lower NW's.

Thank you all in advance for your help

Even though I am pro-Rahal, seeing that the crown area is a black hole for grafts, you will need the strongest grafts and highest yield to stand a chance. Therefore to echo the posters above, I highly recommend FUT over FUE. In addition, although Rahal can do good crown work, I would actually strongly recommend Dr Jerry Wong, as crown work is his specialty. Dr Rahal is renouned for and markets himself for hairline work.

You gotta weigh the pros and cons. I would not jump into anything so quickly. Not saying you're making a bad decision and even if you wait a month after doing a TON of research, you might end up with the same game plan, but a HT is serious business, so you want to make sure every part of the process is well thought out.

My opinion you need FUT mega session by H&W or Rahal. I would not go for FUE at this point. You'll end up paying the same(ish) for 6k FUT as you would 3k FUE. Since you're local, you can ask to be put on a cancellation spot, which will save you greater.

The bright side in all of this is your curly hair. You get the appearance of WAY more coverage with less grafts. It's a blessing.

Thank you everyone for your advice, some really good points. I think the general consensus is that I will likely benefit more from FUT than FUE at this stage. I was a little apprehensive about getting FUT, but honestly after doing a little more research, I am now feeling a lot more comfortable with the idea.

Dr. Rahal is excellent with FUT work, but at the recommendation of many, I have put in a consultation at H&W as well. We will see what both parties have to say, but I am very likely to proceed with a megasession of 6000-8000 FUT with H&W.

To that end, the question now becomes should I go with Dr. Hasson or Dr. Wong? I have heard in other threads that Dr. Hasson is probably a little bit better, but as mav23 pointed out, Dr. Wong has expertise in crown work.

Any thoughts? Thanks again, any input is greatly appreciated.

my hats off to everyone who contributed to this thread, all great input and advice coming from guys who could literally be patient advocates! you've been pointed in the best direction and can't go wrong with either H&W or Rahal .. If I were in your shoes I would also do FUT. It will be interesting to see if both docs think they can do your frontal restoration and crown in one sitting - I would bet H&W would opt for that route while Rahal might take a different approach. For example, I can easily see doing a 3.5-4k FUT session concentrating on the frontal and mid-scalp restoration and leaving the crown alone this first pass. Although I think H&W might be more aggressive in what they deem a "mega-session".. Would be great to hear back what the plans of attack were from each great doc.. Best of luck

First thing is you need to research and research more. No way you get the amount of grafts you listed in one surgery so it makes me think you haven't researched enough. Hasson is great but I don't drink the kool aid like others and put him above Wong. Don't let anyone here or anywhere decide where you go. This is a personal decision and should be your decision. I suggest consulting with several doctors. I don't know if you are on meds but if you are not you should try them because if you have surgery without stabilizing you hair loss it will be like throwing a bag of one hundred dollar bills into a fire place.

Both Hasson and Wong are great doctors but you need to stabilize you hair loss before thinking of surgery in my opinion.

Thank you everyone for your advice, some really good points. I think the general consensus is that I will likely benefit more from FUT than FUE at this stage. I was a little apprehensive about getting FUT, but honestly after doing a little more research, I am now feeling a lot more comfortable with the idea.

Dr. Rahal is excellent with FUT work, but at the recommendation of many, I have put in a consultation at H&W as well. We will see what both parties have to say, but I am very likely to proceed with a megasession of 6000-8000 FUT with H&W.

To that end, the question now becomes should I go with Dr. Hasson or Dr. Wong? I have heard in other threads that Dr. Hasson is probably a little bit better, but as mav23 pointed out, Dr. Wong has expertise in crown work.

Your scalp laxity may not allow for that many grafts in 1 session, but if anyone can grab that amount, it's Dr Hasson. I echo mav, if going for just the crown, go with Wong, if you want to get coverage over a larger area, then Hasson is better and can probably grab more grafts, so I think Hasson is your man.

• 2 months later...
Btw - Rahal does use a manual punch, and although has delegated the extractions to Mike, he is just as involved as Lorenzo, Feriduni, Shapiro, and Erdogan who also have delegated the extractions but are renowned as the top FUE surgeons.

I was told recently, directly from the clinic, that Rahal uses a motorized punch. So unless these are the same thing (pardon my ignorance) I believe Rahal does NOT use a manual punch for FUE.

The FUT scar, while savage in appearance immediately post-op, heals very easily. It's already a distant memory for me at just under 2 months out of 3185 fut w Rahal

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

undefined88- Thanks for your interest in Hasson & Wong, do let me know if I can help in anyway with questions that you might have.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson