how many people are not doing a HT because they cant wear hats to work

I was wondering how come no one thought about a strategy how to handle the situation of not being able to wear a hat at work after the HT, especially for people who cant hide their operation due to the fact that hey don't have enough hair to hide the operational area especially in the front, or rely on comb overs and toppik.

I was wondering why no clinic can look into this seriously and offer solutions, like for example the clinic will work with a hair system company in designing a hair system that looks like the person hair before the operation, or for those who do a comb over with toppik, might also benefit. They can design for them a unit that can be attached by clips and not glue that looks like the person's hair before the operation. I think clinics should look into the matter of how to hide operational signs especially that the ugly duggling phase in the most worrying phase a person can go through

I myself am holding off for so many years from doing an operation because simply I cant wear a hat to work. I currently use a comb over and toppik to cover my baldness, so really some clinic should be more innovative in offering solutions to people like me or who are in similar situations.

In my case I only need a system that looks like my hair, where I do a comb over and use toppik, and I only need it for 1 hours once a month. But no clinic helped me in offering a complete package that can help me in concealing my operation

What are your thoughts???

Fortunately I can wear a hat in my line of work, but believe it or not, after a prolonged period you will get comments and questions as to why you're always wearing a hat.

One poster on here took five weeks off from work because he couldn't wear a hat to work either. Right before he returned he trimmed down his native hair as much as possible to even it out. You can read about his journey here:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171968-raymond-konior-md-4-320-fut-grafts-august-2013-a-9.html

Figuring out what works for you just comes with the territory, unfortunately. Everyone seems to have to deal with it in one way or another.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

the clinic will work with a hair system company in designing a hair system that looks like the person hair before the operation

But how will that work for NW5, 6 and 7's? What wig company can emulate a bald head? That's pretty much a make up company that you are looking for.

But how will that work for NW5, 6 and 7's? What wig company can emulate a bald head? That's pretty much a make up company that you are looking for.

And even if you did that, what would you do? Suddenly reveal a full head of hair one day? :P

Save up your vacation days, personal days, take a short leave of absence, maybe you can have a procedure done where you don't have to shave... there are many possibilities. Wearing a hair system right after a procedure is not a good idea in my opinion besides do you really think a hair system is going to look exactly like your hair pre surgery? I think that would draw more attention.

You go into your office for 1 hour once a month? So you'd have 1 month to recover before going in for 1 hour? Do a no shave procedure and then recover for a month and you can comb you hair the way it was and use Toppik.

I'm Muslim so quite simply I've turned up to work with a mosque hat. Yes it's frustrating I've had a ridiculous load of questions and curiosity "what have you done"? "You gone hajj"? Etc..6 weeks have no passed all questioning has now stopped thank god. But when I do take hat off I guess I got another round of questioning!

I was wondering why no clinic can look into this seriously and offer solutions, like for example the clinic will work with a hair system company in designing a hair system that looks like the person hair before the operation, or for those who do a comb over with toppik, might also benefit. They can design for them a unit that can be attached by clips and not glue that looks like the person's hair before the operation. I think clinics should look into the matter of how to hide operational signs especially that the ugly duggling phase in the most worrying phase a person can go through

such a cool thought though- i love innovative thinking! It just that something like that seems like it would nearly double the cost of hair transplants. The HT cost is prohibitive enough for many people already, so I would think it all comes down to economics. I agree with a prior poster-- the way to do this is to save up your vacation days, etc. Or just deal with telling people the truth.

I work remotely and gave my my boss a heads-up about my procedure.

My surgeon (Dr Parsa Mohebi) offers stand-by surgery at a discounted rate (ie. you fill in when there is a cancellation) -- I had signed up for that stand-by list and his office called me about a week or 2 prior to surgery to tell me that there was an opening--

A soon as I got that option to get the surgery done, I talked to my boss and got his 'OK' for being out for a day or two. And, since I work remotely, healing, bandages, awkward appearance was not an issue.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

the idea is to get past the ugly duggling phase, and this can be good idea for people who hide their hairloss by making a comb over with toppik

i for example hide my hairloss by doing a complicated comb over and then apply toppik and so far no one figured out i am bald

so if i can create a hair system that kinda looks similar to my hair style and use it only once a month i will be so going forward with my HT

in my line of work where I have annoying work colleagues if they figure it out they will keep looking and staring, and between them will ridicule me for it. Somehow I wish I never used toppik then things would have been much easier, as using toppik trapped me in fooling everyone I have hair

the idea is to get past the ugly duggling phase, and this can be good idea for people who hide their hairloss by making a comb over with toppik . i for example hide my hairloss by doing a complicated comb over and then apply toppik and so far no one figured out i am bald so if i can create a hair system that kinda looks similar to my hair style and use it only once a month i will be so going forward with my HT in my line of work where I have annoying work colleagues if they figure it out they will keep looking and staring, and between them will ridicule me for it. Somehow I wish I never used toppik then things would have been much easier, as using toppik trapped me in fooling everyone I have hair

true.. get past the ugly duckling phase post HT... which is about 3-8 months long IMO.

for me toppik, started fooling me into thinking i was fooling everybody else that i have hair.. in other words, relying on toppik, i allowd my hair get to a really terrible state where hairs were sparse located (low density) and i would just put toppik in wishfully thinking people wouldn't notice my hair loss...

many years ago, I had this interview at a law firm; the interviewer just kept looking at the train wreck (mostly toppik mixed in with a low density of native hairs) on my head the whole time.. what an ass.. funny thing is, he was totally bald.. you'd think that other hair loss sufferers would be more sensitive to one's feelings.. what was I thinking.. I should have had the HT done years sooner!

My regimen includes:

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Everybody's case is different. In the end I don't see how a wig is going to save you any grief. I suggest minimum of 4 weeks if possible. When it is all said and done you will just have to own the fact that you had surgery to fix what you felt needed fixed. Nothing to go work and brag about, but if asked I wouldn't lie either.

As time goes it is likely that people would know you had a hair transplant procedure or multiple done. They are not as undetectable as patients and doctors would like you to believe, but the patient just has to accept the fact that even though detectable they look better than the alternative. If they don't feel that way then they shouldn't go down this road since it is a life long commitment.

I've compared them a lot to breast implants and augmentations for women. I think they are very detectable as well, however I also think many times they look great. With age, all of us who have some sort of cosmetic enhancement will have to face the fact that one day those around us will be able to realize that we had something done at some point in our life. Even Biden's hair looks great from the front and then you see him from the back and realize he is completely bald in the back with a hairline of an 18 year old and common sense wins out. Something all should consider before cosmetic surgeries and I am reluctant to call HT cosmetic surgeries but I suppose that is what it is.

I can only speak for those who are doing FUE. If this is your first transplant the best thing to do before your procedure is to completely shave your entire head. Let your co-workers and family get used to your look.

In fact, I'm getting my second FUE procedure at the end of this month. I've scheduled off work for 11 days (or 7 business days). My procedure is on Friday, so I have two weekends to recover my donor area. And if you can time it right during winter holiday, you can save your vacation time with Christmas and New Years holiday.

There's no doubt you'll get some stares or remarks when you return to work. But after a couple weeks to a few months, it will all be forgotten.

I can only speak for those who are doing FUE. If this is your first transplant the best thing to do before your procedure is to completely shave your entire head. Let your co-workers and family get used to your look.

In fact, I'm getting my second FUE procedure at the end of this month. I've scheduled off work for 11 days (or 7 business days). My procedure is on Friday, so I have two weekends to recover my donor area. And if you can time it right during winter holiday, you can save your vacation time with Christmas and New Years holiday.

There's no doubt you'll get some stares or remarks when you return to work. But after a couple weeks to a few months, it will all be forgotten.

unfortunately shaving bald is not an option for me, i think i will try to design a wig with one of the internet online stores that look my comb over with toppik that I can use for only one hour in a month. If the hair system does not look like my comb over then i need to figure out another way.

i just realised for my join date on this forum that I have been positioning my Ht for about 7 years just because I can't figure out how to hide a HT procedure.

please don't misunderstand me I think I am at the same level of your baldness but I do a comb over with toppik. I was wondering how many grafts you had, as again please don't misunderstand me I think your result after one year is a little low density especially at the hairline.

I am seriously not trying to critique your result but if the outcome of the HT in reality is like this for my same baldness level then I think I need to reconsider the whole HT thing, as I prefer to do SMP or wear a hair system.

unfortunately shaving bald is not an option for me, i think i will try to design a wig with one of the internet online stores that look my comb over with toppik that I can use for only one hour in a month. If the hair system does not look like my comb over then i need to figure out another way.

i just realised for my join date on this forum that I have been positioning my Ht for about 7 years just because I can't figure out how to hide a HT procedure.

As someone advised earlier on here, I wouldn't wear a wig or a system so soon after surgery. Your recipient site needs time to heal and breathe and I wouldn't risk damaging the grafts.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Forget about the wigs my man!

After the whole ordeal of doing it a few odd looks and comments are nothing. Just smile and say you wanted to try the Jason Statham / The Rock / Vin Diesel / Yul Brynner / Sean Connery / [insert filmstar name here] look.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

please don't misunderstand me I think I am at the same level of your baldness but I do a comb over with toppik. I was wondering how many grafts you had, as again please don't misunderstand me I think your result after one year is a little low density especially at the hairline.

I am seriously not trying to critique your result but if the outcome of the HT in reality is like this for my same baldness level then I think I need to reconsider the whole HT thing, as I prefer to do SMP or wear a hair system.

I am a NW 4-5, and my first transplant was only 2,000 FUE grafts. My case was actually discussed from another thread about a year ago. My first transplant was to mainly create a hairline and to spread out the grafts as best as possible in the front foundation. My doctor acknowledged that one transplant will not complete a normal result. I waited about 15 months to do my upcoming 2nd procedure because of scheduling conflict and 2nd transplant was not my top priority last year.

I will not consider strip method. So FUE is one drawback if you are not patient, don't want to do multiple sessions, and cost more.

• Moderators

Dos anyone ever take a medical leave of absence from work for a hair transplant? Do any HT Dr.s do this? I get paid up to 6 months of MLOA, so that would be a great option.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Dos anyone ever take a medical leave of absence from work for a hair transplant? Do any HT Dr.s do this? I get paid up to 6 months of MLOA, so that would be a great option.

ahh, I never thought of that

My regimen includes:

Prior to my surgery I cut my existing hair very short, then after the surgery and a week or so at home, I was back in the main stream population and friends were asking why I got such a short "military" cut. My donor area had healed and they had no idea that I had the FUE surgery. Strategic planning and exposure helped a lot!

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.