For those who've done it -- did your friends/family/coworkers notice your procedure?

Saw some pictures of people post-op, especially in the 1-3 month range...just curious, how did your friends and coworkers respond? Especially when those tiny hairs start to come out and are curled, etc...did they not ask questions or know? Is it possible to shave your head down and make it noticeable?

Mostly, they said nothing, but I did get some sarcastic comments from certain types of guys and usually they were balding types. Some of the latter type were disguised backhanded compliments like, 'your hair is looking really good lately!" or " Gee, you are looking really good lately!" followed by a pregnant pause.

People obviously gossip but generally I think, if they are any good at it, we don't hear about it. It is amazing how quickly most people completely forget how one appears only 6 months before, but then there is one in every group who won't let you forget.

ha , don't we love the human condition!:) It might be better for Leo the lion to walk back into his old patch with a new mane! I mean, what are the other lions gonna say, 'Oh..lionesses, don't look, he just went to Hasson and Wong"

Edited by scar5

I told everyone at work, before the operation. I told close friends & a few members of family. Basically anyone I see regularly.

That way, they're not shocked & they can't mock me if I've already revealed what I was about to do. So the big joke is no longer a joke. Everyone was surprisingly encouraging, at least in front of me.

Had I gone to a butcher, they may have been less supportive.

I heard one girl from work had said that I went all the way to Vancouver to have this done & it didn't work for me & I need to go back. That was at month 2 post op. I had explained to her previously how long it takes for a full result. Pure ignorance. Who's laughing now!

Not one person has noticed that I've had it done.

My mother has commented that my hair looks really good these days, as its now enabled me to style it differently.

My hair dresser and my partner are the only ones that know I've had any work done.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=10024&WebID=2832

October 2011 - 1647 FUT - Dr Dorin

January 2014 - 1580 FUT - Dr Dorin

This question comes up quite a few times and for very good reasons. I don't think there is a correct answer, it depends upon the skin tone, if your native hair can cover the recepient area. How fast your hair grows, the number of grafts, where they are etc etc.

I think around 6 to 8 weeks I felt back to normal, after FUT). I would research the doldroms on this web site for some further ideas. I would take/plan your max holiday be taken from work. Nobody is interested or notices your hair, partner/wife will do. This is justk my opinion

Hey All,

I'm thinking of getting a HT. Just wondering what should be expected post op (ie swelling, bruising, ect)? How long was it until the HT wasn't noticeable? I've spoken to a couple of docs and they have recommended 2000 grafts at the front.

I need to take time off from work to get the op and don't have much leave.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As a NW 3/4, I had +2,000 FUE grafts, and didn't realize how different (at least to me) I would look. I figure I had enough hair behind to cover the front. But even the hair behind was not long enough and no where dense enough to pull away with that look. When you get a hair transplant, you don't realize how bald and how much hair you had lost.

So by around day 9 post-op, I decided to buzz off my entire head to match my newly transplanted hair. (see my picture link below) So if anyone is close to my hair loss and plan to do FUE, I would recommend that you buzz off your entire head. It will make both you and your doctor's life easier. Trust me. =)

I took two weeks off from work, and since I buzzed my head in the past, none of my co-workers were that surprise on my look. Basically, no one, including my closest family said a word. Or maybe they are being polite not to say anything to me? I will never know. lol.

Edited by hair1978

Hey All,

I'm thinking of getting a HT. Just wondering what should be expected post op (ie swelling, bruising, ect)? How long was it until the HT wasn't noticeable? I've spoken to a couple of docs and they have recommended 2000 grafts at the front.

I need to take time off from work to get the op and don't have much leave.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The swelling would probably not last very long, and bruising is quite rare. I'm 6 weeks out and the pinkness in recipient is basically gone but for a couple of weeks it was very noticeable. I think skin tone is a big factor as far as pinkness from ht. everyone is different as far as healing time and looking "normal" after ht. I would certainly take the max amount of time off as you can get...

Hi,

I buzzed to grade 3 before op FUT and then just let it grow. Must admit I was very tempted to take the clippers to it, but glad I stuck it out., looked awful for 6 weeks. I just posted my 2 month pictures (you can find it on todays posts 2 months-Dr Lindsey) there is post op picts and on 1 month Picts on my profile. Get max time off work.

Its funny how doc's try and sell you on a one week recovery time.

I'm only 26 and I still have the majority of my hair behind my earline (thank proscar), but the front is almost gone. I hate the way it looks and makes me self conscious.

I've never tried having a clipper cut down to a 1, maybe that is something I should do before booking an appointment.

Really didn't realise it would be so visible for so long.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

You might feel okay in a week, but how ya look is another thing. Maybe some can wear a hat.

Grade 1 on some blokes looks great, did not suit me, but when I was losing my hair I get getting shorter cuts.

I took pictures of my hair and sent them to Dr Lindsey by e-mail, whilst i researched further, he is straight talking and told me I'd look worse before I looked better, I flew from the UK to Washington and back.

The options are my own.

Bucks

I say yes but people are usually polite and not say anything. Right now I am at 5 months and it is the worst time for me because it is very obviously since a number of small hair are just sprouting up.

I lied to myself that this wouldn't be noticable but trust me it is. There is no way around it.

First two or three months are awful. I stayed inside my apartment most of the time and wrote a dissertation (no lie). When I went outside I wore a hat. It would be much more difficult if you had an office job and couldn't take more then two months off and couldn't cover up with a hat. Concealers can be a life saver but some docs think they can negatively impact growth. In the ugly duckling phase I told everyone I gave myself a haircut and royally f'ed it up. They seemed to buy it.

The new hair grows in so slowly it would be hard for someone not in the know to notice a difference, unless you were slick bald on top before.

Around 5 months post-op (2nd procedure), a friend who didn't know I had work done said it was the best my hair ever looked. My little sister asked my mom if my hair was looking thicker. So some people do notice a difference but most are not privy the art of hair restoration surgery.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I also hid behind a ball cap whenever I went outside for approximately 3 months or so, then used dermatch as the regrowth came in.

It's really after complete maturity post-op like 12-18 months that is the best judge of the procedure. If it looks liike HT surgery by then, not a good thing.

Having some exisitng hair in the recipient area is always a plus too.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I work in a structural steel Fab shop and have worn a cap everyday for years and I only told a couple people at my job. Only family members at home my wife and son know about it. Thing is nobody really knew because I wore a Comb-Over from Hell when I just had to go out without a cap. Not even my own daughter that was away at college during healing has asked any questions. Had mine done in the dead of winter in the midwest and didn't really get out much. I would recommend taking a week off afterwards and just lay low for a while.

• 1 month later...

It might be better for Leo the lion to walk back into his old patch with a new mane!

I mean, what are the other lions gonna say, "Oh..lionesses, don't look, he just went to Hasson and Wong"

Ha Ha...A+

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Hello Guys,

I have a question, what if i do an HT and then after the healing time, i start shaving my hair to grade 1 or 2 (FUE technique) on both recipient and donor area and kept shaving till like month 6 or 7 and then let my hair grow since the transplanted hair should be stronger at that time.

is that even possible ? would shaving the hair in the donor and recipient area after the healing but before the hair start growing effect the progress of the growth ? would it affect the recipient area at all ?

I always keep my hair short, so i was thinking if i go for an HT i'll keep shaving after that so it shouldn't be much noticeable.

Everyone I know noticed, but then again, it's because I showed everyone I know.

Pretty much everyone thought it was the coolest thing since the iPad. They all asked a lot of questions and it started a lot of interesting conversations. It was like show and tell all over again. The funny thing is that, so far, women seem to be the most interested in the procedure, risks, costs and my motivations for undergoing it.

I still don't understand why anyone should feel embarrassed or ashamed about it...

Corvs

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Nice to still see you around corvettester. You undoubtedly had a nice result and why you are receiving the nice compliments.

Anyone I have confided in have always stated that my HTs are undetectable and respond very surprised when I let them in on my procedures.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

yes everyone noticed since i cut my hair short , even some people told me you are going bald (that happened in 3rd month ,i think my comb over technique was very good before HT :).now people are starting to compliment me on my new look

I am going in for a procedure in a few weeks. I am really hoping that I can be one of the few that go unnoticed. We'll see I guess. The dic seemed pretty confident and I have grown my hair out to where it is driving me crazy.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.