Potential Recommendation of Dr. Sanusi Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

Dear forum members,

As many of you know, we gather as much information as possible about a physician, their staff, technique and track record before they are even considered for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network. Part of our review process involves getting input from patients and the members of this forum community. To learn more about this review process, click here.

We’d like to gather your input and opinions regarding the potential recommendation of Dr. Sanusi Umar of Redondo Beach, California on the Hair Transplant Network. At this time, Dr. Umar is only being considered for recommendation, not the Coalition. To see our standards for recommendation, click here.

Dr. Umar was considered for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network back in 2008. However, due to concerns about the overall consistency of follicular unit extraction (FUE) and body hair transplant (BHT) results, this community and Dr. Umar made a mutual decision to discontinue his potential recommendation. See the original forum topic “Potential Recommendation of Dr. Sanusi Umar of CA” for more information.

But given recent advances and the increase in popularity of FUE over the last couple of years, hardly anyone can dispute that this minimally invasive procedure is here to stay and has become a viable alternative to traditional follicular unit hair transplantation (FUT) for many patients. In fact, dozens leading surgeons once resistant to learning and adopting follicular unit extraction now offer it as a regular part of their practice. Moreover, Dr. Umar’s established history of producing excellent results and satisfied patients demonstrates his advanced and evolved technique.

Dr. Umar has a background in dermatology and has been performing high quality FUE and BHT (body hair transplant - transferring body hair follicles to balding areas of the scalp) procedures since 2005. Dr. Umar is arguably the world’s leading expert on BHT, with over 250 BHT procedures performed to date.

Dr. Umar extracts all of the FUE and BHT grafts himself and his certified medical assistant with over 7 years experience as a hair technician meticulously places follicular units into tiny recipient sites made by the doctor. Dr. Umar is very hands on and still likes to place some of the grafts himself once in awhile.

Dr. Umar often takes a comprehensive approach by creating a unique blend of scalp hair and body hair used as “filler” when appropriate. In Dr. Umar’s experience, more body hair is required to provide the same amount of coverage as normal scalp hair, due to the long resting phase of body hair. Recognizing that not everyone is suited for BHT, Dr. Umar uses very strict criteria in determining who is an appropriate candidate.

In recent weeks, Dr. Umar has presented numerous examples of his recent FUE and BHT results on this forum (see below for links to these photo albums), in which patients with depleted donor hair via the traditional FUT procedure achieved remarkable results via scalp and/or body hair FUE. Over the years, many of his patients have also come forward to present their impressive FUE results.

Dr. Umar developed a passion for alternative hair transplant procedures due to a botched 400 graft strip surgery he endured years ago. His personal dedication has helped motivate him to excel while enduring unfair criticism from some of his BHT competitors.

Using a 0.9 mm or less punch, Dr. Umar first scores the skin and then uses a needle to separate the root of the follicle from the surrounding tissues. Dr. Umar believes this process reduces scarring and minimizes the risk of transection that might result if he attempted extend the punch down to the base of the follicle for extraction.

In an effort to learn more about Dr. Umar’s FUE and BHT technique, Patrick Hennessey, publisher of the Hair Transplant Network visited with and observed Dr. Umar performing his surgery back in 2008. He was personally very impressed with Dr. Umar’s work and his dedication to personally doing all the tedious FUE and BHT work at modest prices. To view the highlights from Pat’s visit to Dr. Umar’s office, click “Visit to Dr. Sanusi Umar in Redondo Beach, California”.

Given the increase in popularity and high demand for FUE and Dr. Umar’s vast experience in providing only the best results, in my opinion, he should be considered for recommendation.

Dr. Umar’s Recent Patient and Surgical photos can be found below:

8000 grafts (BHT and Scalp) Hair Transplant with Dr. Umar

9000 grafts (BHT and Scalp) 10 Months Hair Transplant with Dr. Umar

5800 Grafts in 3 Sessions (Scalp and BHT) Hair Transplant with Dr. Umar

2500 Grafts (Scalp and Nape) Hair Transplant with Dr. Umar

5500 FUE Grafts (BHT) Hair Transplant with Dr. Umar in 4 Sessions

1200 Grafts FUE (Scalp) Hair Transplant with Dr. Umar

1200 Grafts (Beard) to Repair Strip Scar Hair Transplant with Dr. Umar

2600 FUE Grafts (Scalp) Hair Transplant + 300 FUE Grafts (Beard) Scar Repair with Dr. Umar

You can find additional examples of his work by visiting the “Results Posted by Leading Hair Transplant Clinics” forum and by using the “search” feature.

I welcome input and comments from forum members regarding his potential recommendation.

To view our standards for recommendation, click here.

Onwards,

Bill

Dr. Umar is board-certified in dermatology and internal medicine. He is also a researcher and recently published the results of several of his BHT procedures in the Annals of Plastic Surgery, therefore, providing him with peer-reviewed transparency. Importantly, Dr. Umar's posted results are excellent.

He is not just performing quality scalp FUE procedures but also specializing in a technique (BHT) which very few doctors, if any, in the world can effectively perform. The significance of BHT is that it can increase the finite scalp donor supply for a patient. This additional supply can add density or help repair prior transplants once the scalp donor is depleted. It can also be used to conceal a strip scar with, for example, beard hair outright instead of using scalp donor via FUE for the scar.

I obviously would have no hesitation in recommending Dr. Umar.

Bill, I really think Dr. Sanusi Umar of Redondo Beach, CA has shown us fine examples of why he should be recommended. I think he has done a great job helping many patients, especially, those that may have had very limited options. He has been successful in repair work and has given patients with higher level of norwoods with limited donor supplies a chance to regain their hair with the use of beard and body hairs used in conjunction with scalp hairs, including the nape. I think now, with the examples posted, and the reactions of his patients in his videos, including the forum, we can conclude that his techniques are consistent and proves he is at the level of other recommended surgeons on this forum. I think he deserves a shot and should be recommended.

I agree 100% on recommending him. Im a big fan of how he is able to use alternative hairs to save victim patients especially (BEARD HAIR) which i find works good as a scalp sometimes for Crown and Scars. To me, he is the US version of Dr. Bisanga. You got my vote Dr. Umar.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

I believe that everyone should change their perspective while thinking about Dr.Umar.

I know that many guys in this forum are FUT supporters(I'm one of them) and approach FUE with caution, especially FUE with body hair. That's because many of us seen disaster results with body hair. And FUE with head hair is all by itself risky process than FUT.

However, Dr.Umar would be my no:1 choice if I'm nw7 or need a huge repair work. If the guys that Dr.Umar presented had came to forum ,posted his pictures and say "what are my options?", many of us would say "shave your head and move on." We can all discuss Umar's results but I think one thing is certain ; those results are much more better than those guys' before pictures. Also, no one wants to put his business into risk. Dr.Umar is putting himself into great risk by taking those nearly impossible cases turning them into good results.

I can criticize Dr. Umar's work but I think in the field of hair restoration , every doctor that we all are fan of has a one skill that is superior than the other. Dr. Umar's is that he takes really risky cases with a very risky approach (BHT,FUE) and I think he is really good at it. You got my vote on him.

Out of curiosity, I have a general question for the community:

It's abundantly clear that Dr. Umar's repair cases and use of alternative grafts is innovative and refined. However, how do community members feel about his standard, scalp hair FUE cases? I think many, if not all, community members would see Dr. Umar immediately for a FUE/BHT repair case, but what about utilizing his services for a standard FUE session?

Do you guys feel as if we've seen a sufficient number of standard FUE cases and should move forward with recommendation, or would we like to see some more of the "norm" (for lack of a better term) before giving the official "thumbs up?"

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

After reviewing the results he has posted over the past several months, I see no reason why he shouldn't be recommended on here. He is much talked about on here and several other boards and his unique approach is one of a kind. I recommend him.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

FUE has come a long way and has become increasingly popular amongst patients. Additionally, many leading surgeons including Dr. Ron Shapiro are starting to feel differently about FUE and feel that in many cases, it may be a viable alternative to traditional FUT.

Ultimately, hair loss sufferers choosing FUE over FUT need physicians who perform this procedure and perform it well. While Dr. Umar may not embrace the traditional FUT method due to his own personal experience, in my opinion, he has demonstrated that he performs quality follicular unit extraction without overhyping its benefits.

In my opinion, physicians dedicated to performing quality FUT versus FUE don’t have to be in constant conflict with one another. Most leading physicians are beginning to agree that FUE is here to stay and surgeons who are working to prefect FUE can peacefully co-exist with surgeons dedicated to performing quality FUT procedures.

See “Why Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is Here to Stay” and “Can Follicular Unit Extraction FUE and FUT Hair Transplant Surgery Peacefully Co-Exist”.

There’s no doubt Dr. Umar’s FUE and especially BHT procedure is well suited for a narrower niche of potential candidates. But I'm pleased to see that Dr. Umar uses strict criteria in selecting candidates for surgery.

Recently, I asked Dr. Umar to present a couple more examples of his scalp FUE results. Below, is another example Dr. Umar just presented. I look forward to seeing a few more shortly.

View 3500 FUE Grafts Restore Level NW3 Baldness - Dr. Sanusi Umar

We look forward to hearing more opinions.

Best wishes,

Bill

I really like dr umars standard fue but for some of the aggresive harvesting above and in front of the ears i seen in some patients.

When it comes to bht i personally think a norwood 6 or 7 non-repair patient with insufficent scalp donor is better of bald rather than have a head full of body hair.Beard hair is great for scarring only just my opinion.

All in all dr umar gets a thumbs up from me just for his scarring repair and standard fue.

I think Dr. Umar would be a valuable addition to this forum's coalition of recommended surgeons and would bring his unique skill set to the conversation, providing repair alternatives to those who have seemingly run out of options. I do believe his inclusion is one that would be mutually beneficial, more so to the community at large, which the coalition is here to serve. I'm glad to see him once again under consideration.

Edited by wylie

I think Dr. Umar would be a valuable addition to this forum's coalition of recommended surgeons and would bring his unique skill set to the conversation, providing repair alternatives to those who have seemingly run out of options. I do believe his inclusion is one that would be mutually beneficial, more so to the community at large, which the coalition is here to serve. I'm glad to see him once again under consideration.

I agree. I don't think BHT is for everyone, for sure, but in some circumstances it provides options for those who have none and Dr. Umar seems to be the best in this area.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Recognizing that not everyone is suited for BHT, Dr. Umar uses very strict criteria in determining who is an appropriate candidate.

Before being recommended on this network it would be reasonable to ask Dr. Umar to state what his actual criteria is for potential BHT patients. What kind of physiological factors would make someone a good BHT case? What would it take for Dr. Umar to turn down a patient who requested BHT work?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Dr. Umar has my vote. There is absolutely no doubt he is at the top in his field. He expertise ranges from repair work, to regular scalp hair FUE. I had my hairline refined by Dr. Umar using nape hair, and the results are excellent. So, I would be a good example of a regular non repair FUE. Video of my results (4 years after surgery) should be availabe soon.

Thanks Bill,

Atticus :)

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

FUE has come a long way and has become increasingly popular amongst patients. Additionally, many leading surgeons including Dr. Ron Shapiro are starting to feel differently about FUE and feel that in many cases, it may be a viable alternative to traditional FUT.

Ultimately, hair loss sufferers choosing FUE over FUT need physicians who perform this procedure and perform it well. While Dr. Umar may not embrace the traditional FUT method due to his own personal experience, in my opinion, he has demonstrated that he performs quality follicular unit extraction without overhyping its benefits.

In my opinion, physicians dedicated to performing quality FUT versus FUE don’t have to be in constant conflict with one another. Most leading physicians are beginning to agree that FUE is here to stay and surgeons who are working to prefect FUE can peacefully co-exist with surgeons dedicated to performing quality FUT procedures.

See “Why Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is Here to Stay” and “Can Follicular Unit Extraction FUE and FUT Hair Transplant Surgery Peacefully Co-Exist”.

There’s no doubt Dr. Umar’s FUE and especially BHT procedure is well suited for a narrower niche of potential candidates. But I'm pleased to see that Dr. Umar uses strict criteria in selecting candidates for surgery.

Recently, I asked Dr. Umar to present a couple more examples of his scalp FUE results. Below, is another example Dr. Umar just presented. I look forward to seeing a few more shortly.

View 3500 FUE Grafts Restore Level NW3 Baldness - Dr. Sanusi Umar

We look forward to hearing more opinions.

Best wishes,

Bill

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Speaking as a recent patient I would definitely vote for Dr Umar.

Aaron, in terms of selection criteria for bht, if you don't include the use of beard hair in that category (considering many fue doctors are using it successfully to a greater/lesser extent as donor of last resort) then I can say the doctor did not accept me as a patient for the use of bht (chest, legs, arms etc). He advised it was unsuitable in my case and there was no need to use it anyway considering I had sufficient scalp and beard hair to use. I am going back for a second pass next year and again he is not willing to use that hair in my case.

Edited by HairToday72

Hello all,I have been watching Dr Umar for a number of years and IMOA he is undoudtedly the best at BHT repair cases,Just look at the repair he did for Bulletnut the guy looked like he had been attacked with a machete yet looked absolutely unbeleivable once the good Dr had finished with him.

Just for his repair cases alone i think Dr Umar should be accepted,Everyone have a good evening

Dr. Umar was considered for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network back in 2008. However, due to concerns about the overall consistency of follicular unit extraction and body hair transplant (BHT) results, this community and Dr. Umar made a mutual decision to discontinue his potential recommendation.

But given recent advances and the increase in popularity of FUE over the last couple of years, hardly anyone can dispute that this minimally invasive procedure is here to stay and has become a viable alternative to traditional QUOTE=

Bill, I agree with your conclusion about fue. I haven't seen many of Dr Umar's results but the ones I have seen here are interesting. I think he would add some balance to this forum. On HTN there are docs who don't believe in fue. There are docs who favor smaller fue cases and others lately who are showing great results with larger fue cases like SMG and Dr. Rahal. I think having Dr Umar here with his mega fue cases would bring things full circle and members will not necessarily have to go to different forums to research all of their options. So, I'm glad that Dr. Umar is being considered and I hope he will be approved.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Thanks to all who provided their valuable input regarding the potential recommendation of Dr. Umar.

While I expect the debate related to the benefits and limitations of FUT versus FUE will be ongoing for years to come, in my opinion, Dr. Umar provides a unique and valuable service to hair loss sufferers considering repair work or alternatives to traditional follicular unit hair transplantation via strip harvesting. This has been demonstrated by the large example of impressive results presented both by Dr. Umar and his patients over the last couple of years.

Given Dr. Umar's commitment to his patients and advancing his follicular unit extraction procedure, it’s no surprise that the vast majority of the feedback we received from the patient and physician community was overwhelmingly positive.

Thus, I'd like to congratulate Dr. Sanusi Umar for his approval for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network. To view his recommendation profile, click here.

Note: Examples of his patient results are still in the process of being added to his Hair Transplant Network profile.

I trust we'll continue seeing impressive examples of Dr. Umar's results in the coming months/years to come.

Onwards and Upwards,

Bill

Congratulations Dr. Umar!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.