My FUE With Dr. Rahal 3000+ Grafts (Large Procedure)

Sean

Did my write up/results help you with your questions regarding Dr. Rahal's FUE?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sean,

How are you feeling about your results? You still have some time but the very from seems a tiny bit weak. It could be the strong lighting though. Am I being too picky to feel that the hairline should be a bit stronger?

Spanker, thanks for your feedback. There could a big difference by the next 2-2.5 months as I think I could be still growing according to growth timelines. Right now, I am expecting it to even up, grow, thicken, mature still. And yes, I do feel it could be stronger. I think it still needs time until it's nice & dense. So, hopefully at 12 month mark it looks killer. :)

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spanker, thanks for your feedback. There could a big difference by the next 2-2.5 months as I think I could be still growing according to growth timelines. Right now, I am expecting it to even up, grow, thicken, mature still. And yes, I do feel it could be stronger. I think it still needs time until it's nice & dense. So, hopefully at 12 month mark it looks killer. :)

Sean,

Your hair still looks really good. Good luck. Btw, you have a killer beard. :)

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Sean,

Thanks for your personal observations at the 9.5 month mark. I think you have reason to be optimistic that the next few months will produce an increase in overall density.

I gotta tell you though, your hair looks very good, very natural, and imo ultra-naturalism trumps ultra-density any day. Even if your hair stayed as is (and I'm not implying it will), I'd still say your HT was a success! In fact, I'd be satisfied if my final FUE results (density and naturalism) matched what you have going on right now. That said, best of luck in the next few months to get the result you're wishing for!

z

Sean,

Your hair still looks really good. Good luck. Btw, you have a killer beard. :)

I appreciate the feedback Spanker. :) Yea man, the beard got big, trimmed it a little bit recently. I didn't want to shave as I was having a few ingrown hairs near my neck, underneath my jaw. Just grew it out to cover it up and try to keep it consistent. Going back to clean shave tomorrow. lol

Sean,

Thanks for your personal observations at the 9.5 month mark. I think you have reason to be optimistic that the next few months will produce an increase in overall density.

I gotta tell you though, your hair looks very good, very natural, and imo ultra-naturalism trumps ultra-density any day. Even if your hair stayed as is (and I'm not implying it will), I'd still say your HT was a success! In fact, I'd be satisfied if my final FUE results (density and naturalism) matched what you have going on right now. That said, best of luck in the next few months to get the result you're wishing for!

z

Z, thanks for your feedback. :) Hope everything is great with you man. How many numbers/grafts you looking at when you go in? Do keep me posted when you go for it. I know both you and me were worried after the whole finasteride thing going on. Have you decided to cut back or considering? Honestly, I want to just cut back and end it eventually maybe. Right now, not sure, but I want to wait until my transplant is fully grown out before even scaling down a little. Maybe from 1.25 mg a day to 1 mg then to .5 mg a day. Something like that. But I think rogaine will be my permanent substitute and other vitamins/minerals/supplements. Saw Palmetto and that other good stuff.

I wouldn't shave it. (Unless you are in the service and on leave or something.) Mine is just a little too sparse to pull off clean lines like that. :)

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Sean, congrats fella i think your hair is looking great. Im pleased for you?

Would you say you have seen much growth in the last month our so or more maturing ? I only ask as i'm a couple of months behind you and feel that i've had my growth now and it's just my hair maturing.

Anyhows congrats on your hair, like i said it looks great :cool:

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

I'll definitely let you know when I take the plunge, Sean. Last in-person consultation I've had was with Dr. Rahal. He quoted me quite a bit more than the other docs: 2000 - 2200 grafts FUE. I was dismayed at the thought of the extra cost and scarring. However, the more I think about it, the more he's probably right. In fact, long before my consultation with Dr. Rahal, other learned members of this forum recommended I get closer to those numbers, too. 1300 grafts (the original quote I was given) is just too conservative in my estimation. I think because my hair is fine that any chance at an effective and natural blend will require that many densely packed grafts (I think Dr. Rahal said around 60 fu/cm2 for the frontal hairline).

Regarding finasteride, I've been considering cutting back or stopping for years! lol I expect I will always be conflicted about it. Some people are completely at ease with taking it, and I envy them. I have never been, but I'm also really afraid of the amount of hair loss I'd suffer 6 months after stopping. I have no idea, but it could be quite significant. And, if it was significant, I'd never bother with a HT. I'd just shave down which is what I've been doing for the past year anyway.

I've been on this stuff for 14 years in August. That's not your situation. I'd say if you're looking to ween yourself off the meds after 12 months post-op, then go for it. You can always resume if you start to lose a lot of hair, and since you're already a HT patient, you can always go for another procedure without as much trepidation as a virgin scalp would feel.

As for me... I still don't notice any troubling sides, so I'll probably keep taking the meds for now. Then again, if I stopped I might notice an overall improvement in my well-being. Part of the problem is I can't remember what I felt like before starting the meds. You're in a better position to answer that question - have you noticed a difference in your overall well-being since taking the meds?

I wish I didn't give a damn about hair loss at all. I'd just quit the meds, forget about a HT and save a ton of money. Alas, I'm afraid that is not my fate. I do care. Always have and probably always will. I really don't like being captive to these feelings, but not sure how to free myself of them. All well, there are worse things to worry about, and better things to concentrate on. :)

Edited by zenmunk

Sean, congrats fella i think your hair is looking great. Im pleased for you?

Would you say you have seen much growth in the last month our so or more maturing ? I only ask as i'm a couple of months behind you and feel that i've had my growth now and it's just my hair maturing.

Anyhows congrats on your hair, like i said it looks great :cool:

Irishsailor, thanks for your feedback. :) I viewed your photos and man, your hair looks killer. It really blossomed for you. So, Congrats! As far as my growth, I think there may have been some in the last month. I'll try to see if I can take a picture really close to the front of the scalp and see if I can see any new growth though.

I'll definitely let you know when I take the plunge, Sean. Last in-person consultation I've had was with Dr. Rahal. He quoted me quite a bit more than the other docs: 2000 - 2200 grafts FUE. I was dismayed at the thought of the extra cost and scarring. However, the more I think about it, the more he's probably right. In fact, long before my consultation with Dr. Rahal, other learned members of this forum recommended I get closer to those numbers, too. 1300 grafts (the original quote I was given) is just too conservative in my estimation. I think because my hair is fine that any chance at an effective and natural blend will require that many densely packed grafts (I think Dr. Rahal said around 60 fu/cm2 for the frontal hairline).

Regarding finasteride, I've been considering cutting back or stopping for years! lol I expect I will always be conflicted about it. Some people are completely at ease with taking it, and I envy them. I have never been, but I'm also really afraid of the amount of hair loss I'd suffer 6 months after stopping. I have no idea, but it could be quite significant. And, if it was significant, I'd never bother with a HT. I'd just shave down which is what I've been doing for the past year anyway.

I've been on this stuff for 14 years in August. That's not your situation. I'd say if you're looking to ween yourself off the meds after 12 months post-op, then go for it. You can always resume if you start to lose a lot of hair, and since you're already a HT patient, you can always go for another procedure without as much trepidation as a virgin scalp would feel.

As for me... I still don't notice any troubling sides, so I'll probably keep taking the meds for now. Then again, if I stopped I might notice an overall improvement in my well-being. Part of the problem is I can't remember what I felt like before starting the meds. You're in a better position to answer that question - have you noticed a difference in your overall well-being since taking the meds?

I wish I didn't give a damn about hair loss at all. I'd just quit the meds, forget about a HT and save a ton of money. Alas, I'm afraid that is not my fate. I do care. Always have and probably always will. I really don't like being captive to these feelings, but not sure how to free myself of them. All well, there are worse things to worry about, and better things to concentrate on. :)

Z, I remember the different estimates given for the grafts. Are you going to give this one go or do it like 6-12 months apart? I remember you asking me about a FUE test with a smaller session earlier. My hairline was placed at 65cm2, so, 60cm2 should set everything nicely in a 2000 graft session. Even though you may have fine hair, the one thing that may make things even better for you is the actual donor density. The number of 1's , 2's, 3's, 4's and so forth extracted from your donor area. Remember, the newly transplanted hairs from the back are suppose to grow thicker in the front as they mature.

I understand what you mean regarding finasteride. My fears are similar. I still fear immediate stop may make hairs shed. I know you have been on it longer than me so it may vary. I have seen the impact the drug made along with rogaine on my crown and midscalp areas so stopping does worry me. But then again, David, one of the moderators on this forum, stopped finasteride a few months ago and he hasn't reported any shed or difference in hair after doing so. As far as noticing anything, well, I started to think that I had some brain fog or lack of concentration after reading that was one of the reported side effects. However, I don't know if that occurs from finasteride or if it could be from thinking too much/stress about hairloss and what not. I know that stress can overwhelm the brain to the point that a person may forget tasks/have trouble concentrating. So, I am not 100% sure if it is finasteride related or just my own stress levels. I don't want to alarm anyone without the facts, but the thing that worries me is it is one of the reported side effects of finasteride use. The issue probably started more about a year ago. I started taking finasteride a little over a year ago. I just don't know if the two are interlinked.

I know man, everyone wishes to forget about hairloss. It's a completely natural thought. I wish there was something that could put a stop to it or reverse the genes so people don't have to get surgery. It's the only feasible option out right now other then the medications which temporarily hold things at bay until they wear off possibly. So, it might be the route to take now, just get a solid front made up front, and hopefully, these other technologies with Histogen or Replicel kick in within the next 5 years and we can just relieve any added worries with those therapies. I think it's gonna happen, technology has overwhelmingly changed and this time human subjects were used. So, yea. In the meantime, give it a shot, it'll keep you more calm psychologically so you can at least try to enjoy your life without the worries. Just think how many years we waste on worrying about hair. Might as well try to move away from those worries so we don't waste the years worrying. Just a few days ago, I saw a tv documentary on the discovery channel or national geographic. One of those two. They were showcasing lions and their prides. I saw a similar thing happen. The lion that was bald had trouble getting the ladies or impressing the other pride members in general. It was the one that would get the least amount of food and basically could not rule the pride. It looked psychologically worried and depressed. The one with the largest mane held the dominant stance in the pride and got everything. I realized that hair plays a big role in a lions world as it does in a humans. I know some guys can rock the bald look, but society makes it seem hair is the fountain of youth, or masculinity, or virility etc. Do your research on how you want to have the hairline, and then set the date and best of luck. Address any issue you feel that you need to get tweaked on your hairline. After that, it'll take a year at least. Then, just enjoy. :)

Sean, so far your hairline looks like 40% based on the last clear video posted of 10 months post OP as its very similar to mine. If 12 months will pass by and your hairline still stay below 50% and wont reach to 65%. What would be your future scenario? Another hairline FUE session or you would wait for a future treatment like Histogen to come into market and accept changing your style into ceasar for extra dense look?

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Sean,

Dr. Rahal said he's willing to do a small test FUE session. I haven't decided about that yet. Even Spex recommended that I get 1000 grafts first to see how it grows, and if all goes well, then go in for a second pass. It would be the more prudent way to go, but I'll pay for the caution with extra time and money. I can definitely see the advantages to your approach - one and done. It's a tough call.

Dr. Rahal said I have good density even though my hair is fine. That, plus my age; relatively small degree of hair loss; the lack of advanced balding in my family (that I'm aware of anyway); and, the fact that I'm on propecia make me a good candidate for a densely packed hairline. I'm confident that if Dr. Rahal packs at 60+ fu/cm2 I'll enjoy a natural and effective blend. He said he'd be able to achieve that goal during my consultation, and based on his amazing and consistent results, I believe him.

Brain fog or lack of concentration... interesting. The past few years have been the most stressful in my life by far, and the stress has taken a toll. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to determine if finasteride is contributing to those issues beyond the extensive testing I've already undergone. I don't think there's a way for me to know without stopping. Guess I'll take it one day at a time with that decision.

I hear what you're saying about taking the plunge. I suppose the next step for me is to meet some HT patients in-person to review their results. It's not easy to do that though. Matt from Dr. Rahal has tried to find FUE patients in my area who are willing to meet, but no dice so far. He did find a strip patient who was willing, however. So, if he still is, then I'll take him up on that. Maybe I should make a post asking if any FUE patients from my area are willing to meet. Obviously, I'd prefer Rahal patients since I'm leaning toward him, but I suppose any FUE patient would be helpful. What do you think?

What do you think about Dr. Carlos Wesley's research? Numerous members of the forum who are privy to the details say that the new technology has the potential to be ground breaking re. yield and scarring. If you knew about this research prior to your HT, do you think you would've waited to see what it's all about?

Thanks,

z

Sean, so far your hairline looks like 40% based on the last clear video posted of 10 months post OP as its very similar to mine. If 12 months will pass by and your hairline still stay below 50% and wont reach to 65%. What would be your future scenario? Another hairline FUE session or you would wait for a future treatment like Histogen to come into market and accept changing your style into ceasar for extra dense look?

Hariri, thanks again for the feedback as well as analysis. I do think the density isn't all there just yet. My thoughts on this are it possibly continues to grow until month 12 and then just gets thicker and matures after that point. Some have told me a person may stop growing at month 8, 9, and 10, however, the growth timeline on the forums suggest 98% at month 12 when growth stops, and just maturing/texture changes improving 2% afterwards (possibly up to the 18 month mark on some people).

So, I will have to wait it out and see and then count the exact density at that mark to figure it out. If I am not mistaken, your hairline was not planted at 40% right? You seem to have similar color hair with maybe slightly better native hair texture than me in general. It looks courser. What do you think about your growth though, is it still coming in? Do you see the improvement with growth?

For future scenario, when 12 months and if things are still below the density target marks, I will have to contemplate how to proceed. I really do not want to go back into the chair because I want to move on with my life as both the surgery and the post op process was demanding for me but I also do not want to have any issues with hairstyling to my goals. So, I might have to consider it but with a different strategy on how to proceed as the area was already impacted. I do expect to hit all density placement targets though and will contact the doctor if I need to get it there. But to count, i'll probably need to shave my head and pick up some sort of illuminated microscope and attach it with my camera, enlarge, & start counting as Dr. Arocha mentioned HERE.

As far as histogen or replicel, I do have those options in mind for the future for my crown possibly. I don't think they will be reasonable for hairline, just the hairs behind. The hairline to me is the foundation, and everything else is supported by it. If you get it nailed in all aspects, then everything else should be able to stand behind it. Some guys are extensively bald and may get near it, but guys with enough ammo and lower hairloss levels should be able to hit it. But for now, happy growin.

Sean,

Dr. Rahal said he's willing to do a small test FUE session. I haven't decided about that yet. Even Spex recommended that I get 1000 grafts first to see how it grows, and if all goes well, then go in for a second pass. It would be the more prudent way to go, but I'll pay for the caution with extra time and money. I can definitely see the advantages to your approach - one and done. It's a tough call.

Dr. Rahal said I have good density even though my hair is fine. That, plus my age; relatively small degree of hair loss; the lack of advanced balding in my family (that I'm aware of anyway); and, the fact that I'm on propecia make me a good candidate for a densely packed hairline. I'm confident that if Dr. Rahal packs at 60+ fu/cm2 I'll enjoy a natural and effective blend. He said he'd be able to achieve that goal during my consultation, and based on his amazing and consistent results, I believe him.

Brain fog or lack of concentration... interesting. The past few years have been the most stressful in my life by far, and the stress has taken a toll. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to determine if finasteride is contributing to those issues beyond the extensive testing I've already undergone. I don't think there's a way for me to know without stopping. Guess I'll take it one day at a time with that decision.

I hear what you're saying about taking the plunge. I suppose the next step for me is to meet some HT patients in-person to review their results. It's not easy to do that though. Matt from Dr. Rahal has tried to find FUE patients in my area who are willing to meet, but no dice so far. He did find a strip patient who was willing, however. So, if he still is, then I'll take him up on that. Maybe I should make a post asking if any FUE patients from my area are willing to meet. Obviously, I'd prefer Rahal patients since I'm leaning toward him, but I suppose any FUE patient would be helpful. What do you think?

What do you think about Dr. Carlos Wesley's research? Numerous members of the forum who are privy to the details say that the new technology has the potential to be ground breaking re. yield and scarring. If you knew about this research prior to your HT, do you think you would've waited to see what it's all about?

Thanks,

z

Z, you live a state over. I did come to NY for pictures/video, checkup, and If you were around, you possibly could have met me/saw me in early May. I am really reluctant to show my face to anyone until maybe when my hair issues are fully resolved, right now I didn't want to. However, you seem like a cool guy and I'll try to help you out as I know how important this is for you. I'll let you see my result in person. I don't want to travel to New York any time soon and don't have time to really.

During my third appointment in May, there was loads of traffic, it took me forever, killing my gas as my car gives 14 miles per gallon, then the holland tunnel for $12 bucks, and then streets were closed and I kept having to take extra one way streets, then some guy hit me and I had a car damage due to the accident (luckily that person was covered and had a repair shop fix everything), then I couldn't find parking and had to park in a garage which I thought wouldn't cost me more than $25 as listed, but ended up costing me $45 or so because I had a SUV, and then I had to run for my appointment a couple of blocks to get to the place the appointment where Dr. Rahal was at.

At first, I thought I could save money by taking my car & having flexibility like last 2 times. Each of my prior last 2 appointments, the average cost was $20 gas, $12 toll, $8-10 munimeter coming from South Jersey. Public transport was costing me $40 bucks round trip. This third time, the flexibility of having a car vs public transport, in general, cost me higher. In the end, I was an extremely pissed off man driving home. lol So, I vowed not to return to NY any time soon unless Dr. Rahal comes back.

So, with my schedule, I wont be in New York any time soon for anything. However, if you are familiar with the Menlo Park Mall area, and Woodbridge Mall Area in central New Jersey. I can consider meeting you there as it's around a half an hour from where I live. I am mostly there these days as I am going for some work related training. I'll do this for you but you have to make a plan with me to meet me around that area. So, you can tell Matt that he doesn't have to search for FUE patients as I'll be willing to meet with you at the location. This way you can actually see a FUE procedure and the donor and inspect it. We both have straight hair, so I think it'll be a good example. I'll answer your questions in person, and you can check out the areas up close. How does that sound? I'll make time for you, an hour good?

Just let me know. It'll probably help you on how you want to approach your surgery. If you do plan to book with the Dr. Rahal, I'd monitor the exchange rates right now as they are in your favor vs my situation when I went. June 1st was the best day to do it, but hopefully it doesn't flip the other way if you decide to get it done in Canada. Every little savings helps. Just a thought.

Could be a risky strategy putting more follicles into the hairline if that is the approach you decide to take since there is always a possibilty of needing as many grafts as you can get should you lose more hair.

Hopefully, I wont lose any on the hairline anymore. However, in the native areas, I think there is a chance to lose more until meds keep the further possible progression at bay. But regarding the hairline that was already worked on, I know it would be somewhat of a concern to add to that area possibly. That it's due to already impacted areas. Those areas hinder bloodflow and substantially reduce the success rate while worked on again. Hopefully, I wouldn't need to and will find a way to work around it if I have any issue with the density targets for my hair restoration goals. The 12 month mark will probably seal the growth timeline and it will probably be thickness due to maturity after.

Sean,

Thanks so much for your willingness to meet with me! I didn't realize you were so close to me. I would absolutely come to wherever is convenient for you, so if the Menlo Park Mall area, and Woodbridge Mall Area in central New Jersey is the place, then that's fine. Also, I'm in no rush for a number of reasons (despite the advantageous exchange rates). I can easily wait until after you hit the 12 month mark (or whenever you feel confident with your outcome) - whatever makes you the most comfortable as you'd be doing me a big favor. And, an hour is plenty of time. Lunch/drinks are on me, by the way. :)

Just let me know when you're up for it, and I'll make the trip out. Again, no rush, and many thanks, man. HT is a forever commitment, so I'm totally cool with taking everything s - l - o - w.

z

Hi Hariri, (not to hijack, Sean) but I've had the same thoughts of going back to a caesar style, as well. My thickness at the hairline just isn't there yet. Although I am only at 5.7 months, so I am hoping for improvement over time.

Hi Sean,

I think you're looking great, although have you considered going a little shorter on top? I've found I get better blending of the grafts with the native hair when the native hair isn't too long. I wouldn't think of going much shorter, but maybe 1/4 or 1/2 an inch could make a good difference for you?

Thanks,

SugarHighs

Sean,

Thanks so much for your willingness to meet with me! I didn't realize you were so close to me. I would absolutely come to wherever is convenient for you, so if the Menlo Park Mall area, and Woodbridge Mall Area in central New Jersey is the place, then that's fine. Also, I'm in no rush for a number of reasons (despite the advantageous exchange rates). I can easily wait until after you hit the 12 month mark (or whenever you feel confident with your outcome) - whatever makes you the most comfortable as you'd be doing me a big favor. And, an hour is plenty of time. Lunch/drinks are on me, by the way. :)

Just let me know when you're up for it, and I'll make the trip out. Again, no rush, and many thanks, man. HT is a forever commitment, so I'm totally cool with taking everything s - l - o - w.

z

Z, no prob man. Sounds good to me. :) We will make a plan. You can meet me in a month if you want. Or Whenever you think it is a good time. It's up to you. You can come see me when I get my next fresh haircut (so this way you can see the fade with clip 1 really close), or you can wait till the full 12 month target and we can make a plans then so you can see the final result. This way you don't waste the trip and can see and get an idea of what to expect exactly at the 12 month post op timeline. I am kind of tied up until July 26th, so just shoot me a pm with your phone # & best time to get in touch with you and we will go from there. I am glad to be of some help and hope it helps you when you plan your journey.

Hi Hariri, (not to hijack, Sean) but I've had the same thoughts of going back to a caesar style, as well. My thickness at the hairline just isn't there yet. Although I am only at 5.7 months, so I am hoping for improvement over time.

Sugar, it's all good man, don't worry about hijack. You had FUE with the same doc. It helps compare and evaluate results. Ask away. My thread is a free to comment and etc. I don't mind at all.

Hi Sean,

I think you're looking great, although have you considered going a little shorter on top? I've found I get better blending of the grafts with the native hair when the native hair isn't too long. I wouldn't think of going much shorter, but maybe 1/4 or 1/2 an inch could make a good difference for you?

Thanks,

SugarHighs

Sugar, thanks for the comments man. I appreciate the feedback. I have considered it but not sure if I can right now. There are reasons for that. I'll bring it up to my 2 salon stylists again and see how things look in 2-3 weeks.

Hi Sean,

Congrats on your results. I noticed your 7 month mark results looked thicker than now. I'm guessing everything will become better in a couple months.

I did want to comment about Finasteride. I have noticed my memory has gotten really bad and have had difficulty concentrating as well. I have been on it for more than 10 years.

I recently switched to .5mg per day to see if that helps. Too bad we seemingly need to be on it to preserve our existing hairs, even after a HT.

Z, I remember the different estimates given for the grafts. Are you going to give this one go or do it like 6-12 months apart? I remember you asking me about a FUE test with a smaller session earlier. My hairline was placed at 65cm2, so, 60cm2 should set everything nicely in a 2000 graft session. Even though you may have fine hair, the one thing that may make things even better for you is the actual donor density. The number of 1's , 2's, 3's, 4's and so forth extracted from your donor area. Remember, the newly transplanted hairs from the back are suppose to grow thicker in the front as they mature.

I understand what you mean regarding finasteride. My fears are similar. I still fear immediate stop may make hairs shed. I know you have been on it longer than me so it may vary. I have seen the impact the drug made along with rogaine on my crown and midscalp areas so stopping does worry me. But then again, David, one of the moderators on this forum, stopped finasteride a few months ago and he hasn't reported any shed or difference in hair after doing so. As far as noticing anything, well, I started to think that I had some brain fog or lack of concentration after reading that was one of the reported side effects. However, I don't know if that occurs from finasteride or if it could be from thinking too much/stress about hairloss and what not. I know that stress can overwhelm the brain to the point that a person may forget tasks/have trouble concentrating. So, I am not 100% sure if it is finasteride related or just my own stress levels. I don't want to alarm anyone without the facts, but the thing that worries me is it is one of the reported side effects of finasteride use. The issue probably started more about a year ago. I started taking finasteride a little over a year ago. I just don't know if the two are interlinked.

I know man, everyone wishes to forget about hairloss. It's a completely natural thought. I wish there was something that could put a stop to it or reverse the genes so people don't have to get surgery. It's the only feasible option out right now other then the medications which temporarily hold things at bay until they wear off possibly. So, it might be the route to take now, just get a solid front made up front, and hopefully, these other technologies with Histogen or Replicel kick in within the next 5 years and we can just relieve any added worries with those therapies. I think it's gonna happen, technology has overwhelmingly changed and this time human subjects were used. So, yea. In the meantime, give it a shot, it'll keep you more calm psychologically so you can at least try to enjoy your life without the worries. Just think how many years we waste on worrying about hair. Might as well try to move away from those worries so we don't waste the years worrying. Just a few days ago, I saw a tv documentary on the discovery channel or national geographic. One of those two. They were showcasing lions and their prides. I saw a similar thing happen. The lion that was bald had trouble getting the ladies or impressing the other pride members in general. It was the one that would get the least amount of food and basically could not rule the pride. It looked psychologically worried and depressed. The one with the largest mane held the dominant stance in the pride and got everything. I realized that hair plays a big role in a lions world as it does in a humans. I know some guys can rock the bald look, but society makes it seem hair is the fountain of youth, or masculinity, or virility etc. Do your research on how you want to have the hairline, and then set the date and best of luck. Address any issue you feel that you need to get tweaked on your hairline. After that, it'll take a year at least. Then, just enjoy. :)

Recedingboy it is probably lthe lighting- his hair would not be thicker at 7 than 9 months.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I did want to comment about Finasteride. I have noticed my memory has gotten really bad and have had difficulty concentrating as well. I have been on it for more than 10 years.

When did you start noticing your memory/concentration problems?

Z, no prob man. Sounds good to me. :) We will make a plan. You can meet me in a month if you want. Or Whenever you think it is a good time. It's up to you. You can come see me when I get my next fresh haircut (so this way you can see the fade with clip 1 really close), or you can wait till the full 12 month target and we can make a plans then so you can see the final result.

OK, let's shoot for the 12th month target. So, maybe in early Sept. after a fresh haircut as described ;)?

Recedingboy it is probably lthe lighting- his hair would not be thicker at 7 than 9 months.

Lighting and pixelation from an iphone 4 camera can cause distortion. I thought it wouldn't since it's the "iphone", but from the previous photo quality complaints on some of my photos, it makes it evident it's not good for photos. The photos from iphone 4's facetime setting gives VGA quality and videos of 30fps. The rear camera is suppose to be 5 megapixel with 720p HD video at 30fps. I think it probably works better outdoors then indoors. I don't know if it distorts much on videos indoors, but I know that in pictures it seemed to do so versus my pics with a 16 megapixel camera I got last month. Although I wanted one, I couldn't get a DSLR at this time. But this is a decent Sony camera. I took the photos with the new camera in lower to normal light, it's not strong light, and it's not a spotlight type bright light. Used no flash and took it in varying distances. As for the video last month, I also recorded it with that camera and it came out much better. I'll try to take an outdoor shot with it as well when I get a chance to do so.

OK, let's shoot for the 12th month target. So, maybe in early Sept. after a fresh haircut as described ;)?

Sounds good man. :) We will coordinate and I will get a close clip one fade either hours before we meet or a day before. I really want you to see the donor area right after a haircut in detail, to see how it looks with 3016 grafts extracted varying between .8 and .9 punch sizes. So, it's probably best to plan it for the morning/afternoon time and to keep an eye on the weather. Gotta make sure it's a clear day.

Hi Sean,

Congrats on your results. I noticed your 7 month mark results looked thicker than now. I'm guessing everything will become better in a couple months.

I recently switched to .5mg per day to see if that helps. Too bad we seemingly need to be on it to preserve our existing hairs, even after a HT.

Receding boy, thanks for the comments. Regarding finasteride, the reason I bring up the brain fog/concentration/memory issue is that I did notice a change a year to a year and a half ago (I don't remember the exact date), and it could be around the time I started using it. I had no clue this was a side effect until recently as per Merck's updated label of possible extra reported sides. I still debate whether high stress was the cause as I did have quite a lot due to financial issues, marital, combat operations while in the service, as well as other issues, or if it was dominantly related to finasteride. As far as sexual sides are concerned, I don't know. I did speak with some doctors about it. They did say they have had some senior patients use the 5mg or more for prostate related issues. Few of those people have also reported memory/concentration issues. I was advised if I do go for any tests related for prostate in the future to disclose I am using finasteride to doctors as it can hinder the PSA screening test and the doctors need to know this.

This drug is key to hair preservation but at the cost of a varying side effects. Some face them stronger then others, some face them at low levels that they may barely notice, but I don't think this is a side effect free drug at all and I will not disagree with anyone that faces them. Are there any repercussions for long term use? We don't even know as this drug is not something that has been in the market forever. It was approved by the FDA for benign prostatic hyperplasia in 1992. It was approved by FDA for the treatment of male pattern baldness in 1997. So, i'd say it is new as it hasn't been used for over 14-15 years, especially, in people using it just for hair loss. The more I read up on research studies and the more I ask some doctors, the more I realize it's a drug that should be used carefully and monitored. For those who take saw palmetto or any other supplements that also are known for prostate health, taking finasteride along with them most likely amplifies the side effects of finasteride according to a few people I spoke with. Topical rogaine should be the first long term option. I completely agree with you though, "Too bad we seemingly need to be on it to preserve our existing hairs, even after a HT."

-----

On another note: I have been extremely busy and don't have the chance to log in as much as I used to. Even though I type 70WPM+, I might not be able to reply to all of you that message me any time soon, but will do so when I get a chance. It does get hard for me to keep up and it takes a great deal of time to create the videos/edit them, but I will try to post another photo/video update for all you guys/gals interested soon (in like 2-3 days). I did have varying comments for a while, here, in private emails/messages, phone calls, and in person, from lots of people. I don't think much has changed from last month that I have noticed though. Some people suggested growth has stopped by this time. If growth stopped, I will be worried as the area still isn't at all strong or even yet. The yield obviously isn't in my favor just yet as I am moving closer to the 12 month mark. I try to be optimistic but some comments can come as a surprise when you least expect them, especially at a funeral a few days ago. I do appreciate the feedback from each and everyone though. :)

Sounds good man. We will coordinate and I will get a close clip one fade either hours before we meet or a day before. I really want you to see the donor area right after a haircut in detail, to see how it looks with 3016 grafts extracted varying between .8 and .9 punch sizes. So, it's probably best to plan it for the morning/afternoon time and to keep an eye on the weather. Gotta make sure it's a clear day.

Great, Sean! We'll coordinate in late August and make sure it's a clear day when we meet. Late morning/early afternoon will work nicely. Really looking forward to it, and thanks again!

If growth stopped, I will be worried as the area still isn't at all strong or even yet. The yield obviously isn't in my favor just yet as I am moving closer to the 12 month mark. I try to be optimistic but some comments can come as a surprise when you least expect them, especially at a funeral a few days ago. I do appreciate the feedback from each and everyone though.

Like I said before, you've made some really good progress, and I'd be happy if my final FUE results are as good as yours are right now. I know it can be frustrating, but try to stay positive. At least you have a stand-up surgeon worse case scenario. I'm sure he'd do right by you. However, give it the full 12 before making that final judgement. :)

Hey Sean.....hope all is well. Where did you land on using propecia? I am seriously thinking about stopping. I have not had noticeable side effects since the first few months when I experienced some mild discomfort on occasion. However, I am just concerned about the drug since every report of recent is quite negative on it. It makes me wonder what other impact it has on our overall health in the long run.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1