Potential Recommendation for Dr. Carlos Wesley of New York, New York

Dear Forum Members,

As many of you know, we gather as much information as possible about a physician, their staff, technique and track record before they are even considered for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network. Part of our review process involves getting input from patients and the members of this forum community. To learn more about this review process, click here.

I would appreciate this community’s input on the potential recommendation of Dr. Carlos Wesley of New York on the Hair Transplant Network.

Dr. Wesley trained under Dr. Walter Unger and has been performing high quality follicular unit hair transplantation at his clinic in New York exclusively for over 4 years. He and his full time staff of 6 nurses and technicians averaging 7 years of experience have the skill and ability to perform up to 2500 follicular unit grafts in a single session when appropriate for the patient. Dr. Wesley operates on only one patient per day in order to provide his patients with maximum attention and the best results.

Dr. Wesley takes a conservative approach and believes in providing patients with what they need and not necessarily what they want. While performing all the initial consultations himself, Dr. Wesley stresses the importance of clear and realistic expectations established between the physician and the patient. Coupled with his state of the art technique, Dr. Wesley believes that a thorough analysis of the patient’s hair characteristics as well as an accurate understanding of their objectives makes for healthy and realistic expectations and a satisfying end result for his patients.

Dr. Wesley designs the entire recipient area and clearly communicates the placement pattern to the planting staff specifying where type of graft should be placed. All follicular units are dissected and trimmed under microscopes and then carefully placed into tiny recipient sites by his experienced staff.

After marking the desired strip with a surgical marker, Dr. Wesley uses a single blade exclusively to harvest the donor strip. Dr. Wesley believes that using a single blade allows for maximum control and minimal follicle transection. Dr. Wesley primarily employs the trichophytic donor closure technique using a continuous single-layer suture with sterile, 3-0 nylone sutures. In instances of donor closure under higher tension, Dr. Wesley uses an absorbable vicryl suture for interrupted deep suturing in and around the areas of increased tension after undermining approximately 2cm along both edges to minimize tension on the wound. Dr. Wesley prefers a standard to the trichophytic closure on patients with white hair, poor scalp elasticity and lighter haired female patients.

Dr. Wesley stays away from “cookie cutter” hair transplants and customizes his procedure for each patient. Using tiny, sterile, hypodermic needles as small 20 gauge (approximately .88mm), Dr. Wesley creates parallel (sagital) incisions to minimize trauma to pre-existing hairs and out-of-body time for the grafts. Dr. Wesley uses single hairs exclusively to re-create the critical hairline to produce natural looking and undetectable results.

Dr. Wesley places grafts up to 35 FU/cm2 in order to maximize growth yield and provide patients with a totally natural looking result. Coalition member Dr. Limmer’s hair survival study revealed that this may be the maximum density that will yield the highest percentage of viable transplanted growth. Thus, patients who require or want additional density are encouraged to return to him for a second procedure.

Dr. Wesley is a board certified diplomate of the ABHRS (American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery) and is a member of the ISHRS (International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery), the AACS (American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery), the AMA (American Medical Association) and the ABA (American Burn Association).

Given Dr. Wesley’s experience and ability to perform high quality follicular unit hair transplant surgery with excellent results, I feel strongly that he should be considered for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network. To view our high standards for recommendation, click here.

View some of their patient and surgical photos below:

1854 Grafts with Dr. Wesley

2172 Grafts with Dr. Wesley

1989 Grafts After 6 Months with Dr. Wesley

2160 Grafts with Dr. Wesley

2115 Grafts with Dr. Wesley

2263 Grafts with Dr. Wesley

2369 Grafts with Dr. Wesley

2265 Grafts Crown Reconstruction with Dr. Wesley

Surgical Photos

Introducing Dr. Wesley, His Philosophy and More Surgical Photos

I welcome input and comments from forum members regarding his potential recommendation.

To view our standards for recommendation, click here.

Onwards and Upwards,

Bill

Dr. Wesley places grafts up to 35 FU/cm2 in order to maximize growth yield and provide patients with a totally natural looking result. Coalition member Dr. Limmer’s hair survival study revealed that this may be the maximum density that will yield the highest percentage of viable transplanted growth. Thus, patients who require or want additional density are encouraged to return to him for a second procedure.

(1) I don't know enough to comment on graft mortality above 35 FU/cm2, but it does seem that 35 FU/cm2 would leave an unsatisfactory result. Thus, the question is whether you want to plan a second procedure before the first is even finished. Of course, I understand that additional procedures can become necessary as hair loss advances, but I would hope to get a few years of "breather" time before I had to go back in---if I had to go back in at all.

(2) Also, the 35 FU rule would seem to rule out strip altogether. I think it'd be annoying for FUE, too, but with strip, it would be out of the question. Two incisions for one result? I'll pass.

(3) Maybe 35 FU really does promote the maximum yield, but just how much do we lose by going for more? Certainly, Rahal and others seem to have no problem getting a significant yield at higher densities. Is it as high as it would be at 35 FU? Maybe not, but I think it'd be worth sacrificing a few grafts to walk out of the operating room in the knowledge that you're done for the foreseeable future.

I agree. I am all for being conservative but I think 35 FU/cm is a bit over the top. However, it does seem like he does good work and as long as it is made clear to each and every patent that he is very conservative and there are other docs who will do much larger sessions and the pros and cons to both. I have no issue with docs being conservative (Limmer, Bernstein, Shapiro). I do have a problem when docs don’t present the other option of being more aggressive as something they just don’t do but is still an option if they want to go elsewhere. I am not saying the aforementioned docs don’t, but I am just saying that I hope that they do. For example, if you won’t plant at over 35 FU/cm, thats fine, but tell your patent that other good docs do and why you feel that not exceeding 35 is a good idea. The same thing with how many grafts can be extracted in one procedure. I had a coalition doc tell me that I would be lucky to get 3500 and I ended up getting 5200 with another coalition doc. The first doc never stated that it was just that he did not feel comfortable doing it, just that it "Could not be done".

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Thank you for your comments. Your points are well taken. It’s important to realize, however, that the most important value is not FU/cm2, but rather the number of HAIRS/cm2. Transplanting 2-to-3-haired FU at 35/cm2 results in equal or significantly more hairs/cm2 (70-105) than densely packing single-hair FU at 70 FU/cm2 (70). Furthermore, by dividing out the micrografts as they naturally occur (rather than creating single-haired FU from a natural two-or-three-haired FU, you’re retaining the protective subcutaneous tissue surrounding the follicle’s base. By minimizing negative forces such as dessication and mechanical trauma from handling, you’re improving survival. Combined, these factors provide an extremely desirable density for patients with a single session.

Furthermore, to clarify a statement in the quote above, patients return for a subsequent session to cover a portion of their scalp not addressed during the initial session (e.g. a midscalp or vertex treatment following a treatment of the frontal third). It is during the subsequent session that they may use a percentage of FU to also add to an area that they’d like even thicker. A single session provides ample density and does not require a follow up to the area treated. The “breather” that patients get after one session should last a lifetime.

Edited by Carlos K. Wesley, M.D.

I am sorry but I have to say that this doc has not shown enough impressive results for me to reccomend. There a some good ones, but is good what the coalition recommends, or does the coalition only recommend the best of the best? I personally would like to see some outstanding results before recommending a doc.

Sorry to sound negative.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Guys,

Thanks for your thoughtful input so far. Please note that Dr. Wesley is being considered for recommendation at this time and not the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians. To learn more about the difference, click here.

It's easy to become impressed by high numbers when referring to density. But the reality is, very few patients need more than 40 FU/cm2 in order to achieve an adequate illusion of density. Additionally, as Dr. Wesley already pointed out, 35 FU/cm2 using two and three haired grafts is much more densely packed than 60 FU/cm2 using single hairs. Thus, knowing the number of transplanted hairs per square centimeter is more valuable than knowing the number of FU/cm2.

In my opinion, Dr. Wesley is performing high quality follicular unit hair transplantation as shown by examples of his presented results on this forum. Thus, I feel he should be strongly considered for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network.

I'd like to hear more input on his potential recommendation.

Best wishes,

Bill

Mean average on a non balding head is around 100 fu/cm2. It's been claimed by many doctors that you can lose half your hair before it is really noticeable. So basically around 50 fu/cm2 is all you really need around the edges. 35 is kind of low when some doctors can push 50-60 in one pass, but judging by Dr. Wesley's results he seems to be doing a very good job. He has my recommendation.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

The examples posted look very nice, certainly worthy of recommendation. As for Dr. Wesley's conservative approach, well, I'm sure most know that I tend to lean on the cautious side when it comes to hair transplantation, so I view that as a plus. However, because I know nothing about him or his work I cannot offer an opinion. But, if the physicians already recommended here are familar with him believe that he is worthy of recommendation, then that is sufficient for me.

To whom it may concern:

I did a consultation with Dr. Wesley and I was very impressed with the man. I found him to be very professional, knowledgeable and extremely thorough. In fact, I found him to be the most thoughtful of all the physicians with whom I have met.

He gave me his undivided attention. There was no patient advisor to meet with first, no interruptions, no ringing phones and he saw me promptly at our scheduled time—not thirty minutes late, which tends to be the industry standard. He spent well over an hour with me answering in detail all my questions and thoroughly considering all the variables involved. He left no stone unturned.

One thing I particularly liked about him was that he didn’t shy away from competing views and philosophies. He acknowledged that each doctor does things their own way, yet emphasized that philosophical difference do not necessarily equate with qualitative differences—in short, he refused to denigrate the competitor. If anything, he showed an awful lot of respect to efforts and contributions of his colleagues in the hair restoration field.

I’ve come across many doctors who seem to think themselves infallible. I’m naturally suspicious of anyone in any profession who thinks this way. This is not the impression I got form Dr. Wesley. He respects the science, the artistry, the craft, and the various contributions others make to the advancement of HT. He seemed very passionate and intrigued by the science behind it all.

He’s very cerebral, like a scientist with a personal stake in his research, which comes off as passion. Clearly, he’s a man of ideas. He understands that each patient requires a completely different approach. He discussed at length the importance of personalizing every procedure because of the individual variables such as ethnicity, age, family history, hair characteristics, etc...

It was a relief to learn that he only does one procedure a day. I’ve heard of physicians that run their clinics like automated factories. He emphasized to me that HTs require an enormous amount of concentration and detail in graft placement, the angle of recipient incision, design, etc... needless to say, I was impressed.

My consultation with him was the most in-depth and thorough of any of the consultations that I’ve had. He spent well over an hour with me in his office and went through my hair several times with a fine-tooth comb. He certainly taught me a thing or two as well. I learned a lot.

Clearly, he’s in the conservative camp. The way I see it, either you’re conservative or you’re not. That’s all there really is to it. Conservative doctors produce excellent results. Aggressive doctors produce excellent results. I don’t see the point in debating it any further. To suggest that there is only one path of performing URFUT would negate all the fine results from either side of the conservative/aggressive camps.

I learned more in my consultation with him than I did in all my other consultations. He taught me a few things about HT that I had never come across on the forums. If anything, he impressed upon me that inexactness of the science of HT, however, what we do know is encouraging.

As for his results, I like what I have seen, however, I have only seen those posted in this thread and those in his B&A book during our consultation. He is relatively unheard of on the HTN, but that really does not mean anything. Thus, I encourage Dr. Wesley to contribute more high definition photos to the HTN so that the community can come to a well-informed opinion of his work… you’ll never hear us complaining that clinics are posting too many results on the forums!

Lastly, at no point did he try to sell me or assume the sale. He gave me his analysis and explained how he came to it and why. Very professional, patient, no hard selling, no urgency to make a decision, yet genuinely passionate about his work.

Long story short: Dr. Wesley has my recommendation.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester
Grammar and Spelling

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

To whom it may concern:

I did a consultation with Dr. Wesley and I was very impressed with the man. I found him to be very professional, knowledgeable and extremely thorough. In fact, I found him to be the most thoughtful of all the physicians with whom I have met.

He gave me his undivided attention. There was no patient advisor to meet with first, no interruptions, no ringing phones and he saw me promptly at our scheduled time—not thirty minutes late, which tends to be the industry standard. He spent well over an hour with me answering in detail all my questions and thoroughly considering all the variables involved. He left no stone unturned.

One thing I particularly liked about him was that he didn’t shy away from competing views and philosophies. He acknowledged that each doctor does things their own way, yet emphasized that philosophical difference do not necessarily equate with qualitative differences—in short, he refused to denigrate the competitor. If anything, he showed an awful lot of respect to efforts and contributions of his colleagues in the hair restoration field.

I’ve come across many doctors who seem to think themselves infallible. I’m naturally suspicious of anyone in any profession who thinks this way. This is not the impression I got form Dr. Wesley. He respects the science, the artistry, the craft, and the various contributions others make to the advancement of HT. He seemed very passionate and intrigued by the science behind it all.

He’s very cerebral, like a scientist with a personal stake in his research, which comes off as passion. Clearly, he’s a man of ideas. He understands that each patient requires a completely different approach. He discussed at length the importance of personalizing every procedure because of the individual variables such as ethnicity, age, family history, hair characteristics, etc...

It was a relief to learn that he only does one procedure a day. I’ve heard of physicians that run their clinics like automated factories. He emphasized to me that HTs require an enormous amount of concentration and detail in graft placement, the angle of recipient incision, design, etc... needless to say, I was impressed.

My consultation with him was the most in-depth and thorough of any of the consultations that I’ve had. He spent well over an hour with me in his office and went through my hair several times with a fine-tooth comb. He certainly taught me a thing or two as well. I learned a lot.

Clearly, he’s in the conservative camp. The way I see it, either you’re conservative or you’re not. That’s all there really is to it. Conservative doctors produce excellent results. Aggressive doctors produce excellent results. I don’t see the point in debating it any further. To suggest that there is only one path of performing URFUT would negate all the fine results from either side of the conservative/aggressive camps.

I learned more in my consultation with him than I did in all my other consultations. He taught me a few things about HT that I had never come across on the forums. If anything, he impressed upon me that inexactness of the science of HT, however, what we do know is encouraging

As for his results, I like what I have seen, however, I have only seen those posted in this thread and those in his B&A book during our consultation. He is relatively unheard of on the HTN, but that really does not mean anything. Thus, I encourage Dr. Wesley to contribute more high definition photos to the HTN so that the community can come to a well-informed opinion of his work… you’ll never hear us complaining that clinics are posting too many results on the forums!

Lastly, at no point did he try to sell me or assume the sale. He gave me his analysis and explained how he came to it and why. Very professional, patient, no hard selling, no urgency to make a decision, yet genuinely passionate about his work.

Corvettester

Great post...and I definitely would like to see more.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I wanted to take this opportunity to put my support (for what it's worth) behind Dr. Wesley. I think he approaches hair transplantation from a very professional, logical, and detailed manner and I've been impressed with his attitude, skill and results.

Granted, his results could be classified as leaning toward the "conservative" side, but I see this more as a result of his philosophy opposed to any sort of deficit and I personally think the restorations are natural, significant, and age appropriate.

Good luck to Dr. Wesley, and staff and I want to encourage all forum members to continue adding crucial input to this recommendation thread. Our community prides itself on patient involvement, and we truly want to know what the community (as a whole) thinks!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

To whom it may concern:

I learned more in my consultation with him than I did in all my other consultations. He taught me a few things about HT that I had never come across on the forums. If anything, he impressed upon me that inexactness of the science of HT, however, what we do know is encouraging.

Corvettester

Good enough for me! Excellent post

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Thanks for everyone's thoughtful input on the potential recommendation of Dr. Wesley. In addition to the extensive private and public prescreening of his work and photos, we've polled a large audience of patients and expert physicians regarding Dr. Wesley's potential inclusion for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network. Given Dr. Wesley's commitment to high quality follicular unit hair transplantation and his patients, I'm not surprised that the vast majority of the feedback we received was positive. I was also impressed by his passion for his work when I met and spoke with him in person at last year's 2010 ISHRS Scientific Meeting in Boston.

Thus, I'd like to congratulate Dr. Wesley in becoming our newest recommended physician on the Hair Transplant Network. To view his recommendation profile, click here.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 11 months later...

Congratulations to Dr. Wesley! I understand why some might say, well, other docs do more grafts and denser packing per session and seem to get good yield, but these are extremely natural and refined results, the kind where the patient doesn't look as if he has experienced marked recession or thinning for his age and no one would ever suspect that the patient had a transplant. I personally love Dr. Wesley's hairline work. He looks to have mastered a hairline layout and technique that produces results that really do mimic mother nature, especially for patients whose 20's are in their rearview mirror. Check out those immediate post op recipient site photos for the rather distinctive hairline pattern that Dr. Wesley uses, with intentional small "gaps" amongst a series of angular "continents," which, to me (and to my girlfriend who checked out the pics) produce utterly natural results that look just right on the patient. I think it's good that this site recommends docs with different approaches and philosophies, so long as their work is stellar, refined, and undetectable, as I think this doc's is from the examples he has posted.

Good decision to recommend Dr. Wesley, in my view.

PupDaddy

P.S. Hi everyone. Long time lurker. First post.

Edited by PupDaddy
Add a P.S.

I also met with Dr. Wesley during the course of my HT travels and in some ways reget not finding him some time back. I like discussing the numbers, philosophy and science behind it all. Not all HT docs do and I have had multiple consults where the docs shy away from the tough questions (including "elite" doctors on this site) instead of admitting that there may not be an answer or it may not be in the interest of the patient long term. Dr. Wesley's approach is called conservative, but I think of it as cerebral and in the long-term interest of the patient.

• 3 years later...

I first went to Dr. Wesley about four years ago, at the end of a year’s worth of research and the last of many consults. I actually had two more scheduled that day but cancelled them after leaving his office as I knew I wanted him to do my work.

I started losing my hair around age 17 but by 21 it was very noticible and I knew it was time. From the moment I sat down with Dr. Wesley it was as if this nightmare was going to be alright after all. And four years later….IT WAS.

I’ve had three FUE procedures with Dr. Wesley, for a total of about 3500 hairs transplanted from donor on my head and beard into the hairline and back until the far crown. I would be completely bald if it weren’t for his skillful work, as he perfectly balanced his artfully conservative approach with my nagging requests for more more more.

Numerous times Dr. Wesley has turned down my requests (and potential profit) for things such as full crown coverage and further SMP. He simply says that it will not benefit me in the future and 4 ears later I’m already so pleased with his guidance and approach.

As far as his work goes, I’ve never seen better. There is NO scaring from my FUE (donor from head or beard) and the hairline and all transplants are flawless. No friend or colleague has ever even suspected that I’ve had work done, as Dr. Wesley’s approach was a little conservative yet provided perfect coverage.

His staff is unbelievable and his office is very well run from top to bottom. I always felt so welcomed and looked after during my many visits.

Dr. Wesley is one of the kindest and most caring doctors I’ve met and he’s looked after me as if I were his own family. He is always at conferences and a leading pioneer of a new scarless FUE technique, and coming form a family with a strong medical background, I know that this passion and dedication is so very important.

I strongly recommend Dr. Wesley and his entire staff. He has given me my life (hair) back!

I would be more than happy to answer any questions.

Ny1988,

Thanks for providing a review of Dr. Wesley. However, to ensure that everybody sees it and to maximize the number of replies you receive, I strongly recommend creating a brand-new topic and set of piggybacking off his old recommendation topic. Dr. Wesley was approved for recommendation many years ago and thus, your review on this topic may not be seen by as many people. I also recommend when you create a new topic that you present photos to go along with your review.

That said, congratulations and welcome to our community.

Best wishes,

Bill

My interaction with Dr. Wesley was brief but positive. Consider this a character endorsement.

I had my procedure with SMG but returned to NY and wanted my staples removed by a professional.

Dr. Wesley and team (who are close with Dr. Ron/SMG) offered to take me in and assist. The tech carefully removed my staples, provided me with a 14 day assessment, and even offered to clean me up before I left. He came in and introduced himself and chatted for a few minutes too. I realize this sounds like simply a nice gesture, but it goes a long way in assessing someone's character.

I've heard stories of doctors rushing potential candidates during their initial consults. I've personally been charged $185 for a 10 min convo. Its refreshing to see someone genuinely care when there's no incentive to. Bedside manner is an invaluable part of this process.

Hope this helps.