Why not be open with others about a HT?

It seems that most on here who have had a HT, try to go without telling anyone that they have had it done. That certainly is a personal decision and I can fully understand why one would want to go that route. But I am wondering if just being open about it may not be the best approach. I am not saying one would have to volunteer it but at the same time, why not just be open and confident about it if asked or if it feels like it’s becoming the elephant in the room. I am trying to determine the best approach for me when I have it done and it seems that being open about it will lessen the anxiety. I would think that most would see it as no big deal but if one tries to hide it at all costs and its noticed then it becomes a bigger deal than it would have if you were just open about it. There will always be those jerks who will feel the need to start with the "Hair plug" comments or other but I would think they are few and far between and not people one would really care about anyway.

Can anyone comment on this with any personal expieriences?

Thanks

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I agree...I only told my parents, brother, and my girlfriend. It depends on the type of people you hang around to; If you have friends who will ridicule you for having it done, it might not be worth telling them. For me it boiled down to who I can trust to keep this a secret and who is non judgmental. Everyone is different though...If you don't mind everyone knowing, then I say go for it. Best of luck

You are probably better off telling those that are close to you. Your good friends and family should remain whether or not you have a hair transplant. They hopefully will understand that you are trying to feel better about yourself. I do understand wanting to keep this kind of information on the down low when it comes to co-workers. I have had many patients over the years that were able to keep this from everyone they know. Even husbands not letting their wives know they had it done. You may want to consider camouflage agents for a little while after you have the procedure. Good luck.

Thanks for the comments. I must say that I am surprised that all comments read like it is a bad idea telling anyone other than those closest to you. If someone is a NW 4+, when the hair grows in, people will know anyway. What in the world do you say then? I know that it grows gradually and I keep hearing people say they get comments like "Did you lose weight". But come on, more hair is more hair. If you barley had a hairline and then 6 months later you have a hairline, people will notice. I guess I am thinking I would rather hit it head on (no pun intended) and just tell people instead of hiding it and seeming like I am ashamed. I mean walking into work two weeks later with a healing scar on the back of your head and your front third shaved down, what could you possibly say to others when asked?

The comment from Dr. Charles concerns me because if he is saying one is better off only telling those close to you, then he must know many pateinets who have regreted telling too many poeple.

Thanks Again Guys

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

When I had it done the first two times with Dr. Wong I told anybody and everybody that asked about my shaved head or later on about my better looking hair. To be honest beforehand most people knew because my past work before Dr. Wong was so bad yet ironically I couldn't talk about it. Once he straightened me out I was only happy to talk about it. I even started the first real blog about hair transplants over eight years ago and had no issues showing my face or giving out my name. Of course after I started working for the clinic my occupation would come up in social settings or when dating so it was/is a no brainer.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I think it really depends on the individual but for me, its a 100% no-no. When i am back to work next week ( 2 weeks post op ), i will prob don a cap and wear t-s and jeans ( i am lucky that i own the biz so i dun need to report to anyone )

i will tell my men that i had some scalp irritation and had to shave off to apply ointment. No way am i letting them know i went for a HT

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Been pondering this a bit more - and I think if I had been 100% happy with my first one, I might have let a few extra people know - but as I wasn't satisfied with the coverage, I didn't want to tell people and for them to still think it was a bit thin.

Maybe after this next one grows out, I'll feel a bit more confident to let my friends know.

My Hairloss Website

HT#1 - Dr Pathomvanich - 2900 Grafts

HT#2 - Dr Pathomvanich - 1500 Grafts

This is a great topic. In my personal experience, anyone I've told has been not only very receptive, but completely amazed and impressed with the work. Most are fascinated because they can't get over how natural it looks. If anything, it debunks the public belief that the old hair plugs are still today's surgical solution for hair loss.

That said, I don't walk around broadcasting my hair transplant. In fact, most people get hair transplants to take away the focus from their head, not draw more attention to it. I think what it comes down to is picking and choosing those you feel comfortable telling. Those who love and support you will not judge you...and hey, some may even be completely fascinated by it like in my experience.

Best wishes,

Bill Seemiller

When I had my first transplant (with Dr. Konior in Chicago) in April 2009, I totally kept it a secret from just about everyone outside a few family members. I was a Norwood 4/5 and I was still a bit skeptical about hair transplants. Dr. Konior planted 2700+ grafts into my hairline and the frontal third of my head. After two stealth weeks off from work, I went back, no one could tell a thing and I went about my business. About 4 months later, all hell broke loose as my formally very balding head starting sprouting hair in a dramatic way. My face was totally framed again and though no one knew what was going on, I got all kinds of flattering comments regarding how good I looked and how I should have let my hair grow out before (duh! - would have if I could have!). I got away with letting people think that, yeah, I was finally just letting my hair grow out now. Since I still had a bald crown, everyone pretty much bought it and got used to the new me. Anyway, the spectacular result the first time around colored how I planned to approach the second time around. If you have a bad result or if your HT looks pluggy, I can certainly see why you wouldn't want to broadcast what you did. But I was very fortunate and had great results. No one could warn me that I would look stupid or regret it because that was not the case.

Anyway, I just had my second HT with Dr. Konior (2400 grafts) on June 10 over my crown. This time, beforehand I just decided to tell some people. I got tired of trying to come up with excuses for why I was essentially disappearing again (I run with guys at noon every day and suddenly not doing so creates a helluva lot of suspicion). Though some were a little shocked, so far all have been pretty laisse fair about it all. They all have their own lives to worry about so my procedure hasn't created much of a wave at all (surprise surprise I'm not the center of everyone else's attention). In fact, most have pretty much forgotten I did it already (Dr. Konior does really neat work- I could go out in public hatless after about three days and no one could see my staples or notice much redness or scabbing). Staples are out now, scabs are all off and I look like I did pre-HT #2 so there's nothing to grab anyone's attention at this point (hopefully in the months ahead, there will be - in a good way).

It was really freeing this time to just come clean. I figured, how could I explain how my previously bald head is really not bald anywhere at all now? (like I said, I have months of waiting now but if my results are anywhere near what they were the first time around, the cosmetic difference is going to be quite dramatic). I figure if any of my friends were going bald (and some of them are now), or certainly if any of the women I know were going bald and they found out they could do something about it, they sure as hell would. So why should I feel so weird about taking control of my life and doing something about my baldness? Screw it. I'm just telling people if they ask, yeah, I had some work done and I'm really happy about it. I know some of my balding friends are going to eventually be asking for more information as I'm anticipating some of them researching HT themselves. Whatever you all decide, good luck to you. If you can get away without telling anyone, good on ya. It ain't their business anyway. But if you do tell people, don't be ashamed or feel weird. Baldness is something we don't have control over. Deciding to do something about it is something we have some control over.

Edited by Tao

I told my immediate family, one friend who is balding and I knew would be interested in following the procedure, and one other friend who lives out of state. No one else knows including my coworkers.

For me the issue had nothing to do with shame. I think of it more like a magician giving away the secret to his tricks. It is, after all, an "illusion of density." I prefer to keep my smoke and mirrors. I think it provides a better effect.

I've enjoyed meeting one of my old high school buddies for lunch each month and hearing him talk about who's balding in their Facebook pics. He considers me to be a fellow hairy guy. I'm undercover and I love it!

I also agree with what Bill said. I like taking the focus off my of my head.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I would'nt volunteer the fact i've had a HT but whenever i've been asked if i've had plugs, i've been honest and said yes. This honesty backfired recently however, when a female colleague who I'd thought of as a friend not asked, but told me 'you've had hair plugs' when I sheepishly admitted that I had, she screeched, reeeaaalllyy! and walk off sniggering. That hurt, and i've not spoken to her since.

Slaps - Did she notice simply because you have more hair now or because she saw "Pluggyness?

Definately the plugginess and HT contrast, I can see it myself. Tbh I kind of expected people I know to notice somethings different, its when the eyes of perfect strangers keep darting up, thats when you know somethings not right.

For me it's the simple fact that I've discovered keeping your private life private is better than sharing everything with everybody. As slaps stated you might think someone is a friend and be completely wrong. I've only shared it with people I completely trust and see zero benefit to share it with others unless it's to help another patient.

Of course for the guys like Bill and Joe this is their job so it makes perfect sense there.

I've only told 2 people, my girlfriend of 10+ years and another balding friend who I sort of regret telling now cause we are not talking lately. I'm with Phil on this, keep it as secret as possible because it's personal.

I actually plan on having some devilish fun with this when it all starts growing in. People in my home town are generally rather ignorant, and so they'll have absolutely no idea what's going on with me. There are a few particular familiar faces who are clearly losing their hair now, but who used to ridicule and tease me about my hairloss 10 years ago when they had full mops. One in particular (who was the loudest) is obviously distraught over his hairloss these days.

I plan on having some real fun with these guys because they will most certainly notice that I suddenly have more hair than they do (they are VERY vain musicians!), and that roles have been reversed. When they ask me what's up I'll first probably just say Rogaine did it so that they'll waste many months on that crap. Then I might next say Saw Palmetto so they can waste another year. Then if they persist further I'll just come clean and say that it's all through meditation and that I have transcended the physical domain and entered the world of gurus, hence I just commanded my follicles to regenerate and they did. :D:):eek:

I even thought I might say Bosley, but I'm not quite that wicked! ;)

EpilepticSceptic,

It's not often that a post makes me laugh out loud! Thanks for that! I hope you'll give us a play by play when you start torturing those guys.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I'd say keep it on the DL. I don't want people closely inspecting my HT when I'm having a conversation with them. I'd rather have them assume I have a decent head of hair and not think much of it. Being self-conscious and insecure is already a curse. I'd hate having everyone KNOW I'm self-conscious and insecure enough to spend thousands of dollars to appease it.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Again, thanks for the comments. I think I may have been a bit unclear. I AGREE that it would be best for most people to tell as few as possible as no real good can come from telling others. I would certainly tell almost nobody if I thought that it was possible. However, I just think with the visible nature of the procedure during the down time and "Ugly duckling" phase, I don’t see how in the world you could keep it a secret. Or, when it grows in, how can you keep it a secret? I would love to be able to do this and if you guys have some comebacks or techniques you have used to keep a 3000 + graft procedure using a doc who shaves you down a secret (not where you have not told anyone and assume its a secret but everyone knows anyway), I certainly would love to hear it.

Thanks guys

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

My English buddy who sings in a rock band told me he keeps his hair using some rogain hair mousse for men stuff, he sent me some and I'm using it but at first it makes ya hair fall out, but hey, if it works for my pal Robert Plant who am I t argue ;)