How do you guys deal with women with concealers on?

To those who depend on products like toppik, dermatch, etc My question to you guys is how to you guys deal with women while hiding with stuff like that? What if they try running their fingers into your hair? Ive been using jerome russel's hair spray thickener ( switching to toppik) and it's been terrible because if touch ur head the color rubs off a bit. I've had to push a lot of people away when they got to close to my head and it's impossible to sleep on the same bed with them. Any suggestions or personal experiences with this?

ramozk1,

Welcome to our forum.

I have minimal experience with concealors however, I did try DermMatch for a bit. The good thing about dermatch is, once it's dry, a woman can run their fingers through your hair and it won't rub off. You can even swim with it in your hair and it won't come out, not until you use shampoo.

A woman might ask why your hair feels a little "chalky", but that can easily be written off as a hair styling agent like gel.

I have never tried toppik but I would use the "find" feature of this forum to see what other members who have used it are saying.

Also, view this toppik product review from forum member and former forum moderator Robert which is quite helpful.

Best wishes,

Bill

The thing with Toppik is that if you accidently brush your hair on a pillow or seat, there is a dark patch and then you are going to have some explaining to do. I tried dermatch, but I didn't get the results I've wanted. Perhaps I just wasn't using it correctly.

Overall, I believe a strategic combination of dermmatch and nanogen is best -- especially if you have a legit concern of detectability with a woman.

Use the nano on the crown, and the dermmatch for the frontal region; dermmatch is less detectable, so you won't have to worry about a lady's errant fingers making their way through your hairline. As well, nano works best in the crown/vertex -- though it works very well in the fronta region, too.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

if you shave your hair close enough you can use the stuff i do. doesnt come off on the sheets and feels like stiff hair that is realistic to short hair. can actually run fingers over it.

In my experience, you're in big trouble if you use nanogen on the hairline and a girl wishes to rub her fingers through your hair!! However if it's just on the crown you can get away with it by the lego effect (see below)!

I've used nanogen religiously for the past couple of years and although application and paranoia can be a pain in the a**e it has prevented others from knowledge of my hair loss!

The only way you can get around a girl from finding out is by the lego hair effect!!! This is putting so much hairspay on the covered parts that a tsunami wouldn't budge it!! That in my experience is the only way round! I've had the stuff in my hair for 3 days with nobody knowing by using the lego effect!!

• 1 year later...

haha, this is a great topic

I tried using toppik, and yes it leaves a residue.

I think this is also pertains to people with hair systems, if you're on a date, and your date wants to run her hands through your hair, how do you stop her?

I dont have issues with concealers or hair systems but I do wear topical medicine on my face and this may be too much information but I had one girl that wanted to lick my face. I was like

"uh, no, I have topical medicine on my face, unless you want to eat it, I suggest you not do that"

it was actually kinda funny. We're still friends and sometimes it'll be brought up in a conversation topic.

Luckily it's only topical meds, the whole hair thing is a completely different story.

Yes I agree Nanogen Fibers are great for the crown and the vertex but DO NOT use it on the front hairline because is can be very noticeable. I was Pakistan and used it on my front hairline, all the old women have tradition where they rub the guys hair to show affection and it kept coming off in their hands which was very, very embarrassing!!

Nanogen is excellent and it has been a life saver for me. But I will try Dermatch on the front hair line, everyone says it is less noticeable and doesn't come off easy but it is a pain in the ass to apply it to the hair.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I can give you a perspective from both sides ...although I can't speak for all women and won't even try!

When I was going through my concealer phase, I found that the fibers (Toppik, Nanogen Fibers, etc.) were like "brown dandruff" and even though I sprayed enough hairspray/gel on to turn my hair into a sculpture that would rival a Rodin, as soon as it moved, the brown stuff would "drift" everywhere. They are useful, but maybe weren't the best choice for me at that time since my hair was long. Perhaps it works much better with short hair.

Jerome Russell Hair Thickening Spray (or other brands) - is a colored "hair spray". I used to part my hair and actually spray it directly onto my scalp so that my scalp was the same color as my hair. Problem? It was a very "chalky" color and didn't match very well. As for "Singing In The Rain?" Not likely. Any rain, sweat or mist would have rivers of brown pigment running down my cheeks. So much for the romantic countryside picnic rainstorms, boating, swimming and any other physical activity that may break a sweat. icon_wink.gif

As for Dermatch - it's the best concealer I have ever found. It only comes off all the way with soap/shampoo and is water resistant. Swimming, boating, rain...all ok! I just wrote a blog about this very product the other day! One trick of the trade that I learned was to use a product called, "Walker Scalp Protector" in conjunction with the Dermatch when I was using it. After I applied the Dermatch, I would spray a VERY light coat - 2 quick bursts of the spray over the dermatch. Then, I would let it air dry or hit it with the blow dryer. Finally, a second very light coat of the Walker's spray scalp protector. This actually coats the Dermatch and helps it stay even longer without the dreaded "rub-off" we all hate!

As for women running their fingers through your hair and coming back with dark fingertips? I used to have not only the Dermatch and the colored hair spray, but weaves too. Made my head feel like the Bride of Frankenstein if anyone ventured near. So, when anyone used to try to get their fingers in my scalp I would say that my scalp was really sensitive, and having it touched really turned me off, kind of like fingernails on a blackboard. Worked like a charm and it wasn't a lie.

Now that I wear systems, I don't deal with the concealers, sprays and weave tracks, but those are just a few tips I picked up along the way. Hope you find them helpful.

Lynnette

DISCLOSURE: I teach people how to order, wear and maintain non-biological hair AND an hourly rate applies! :)

I do NOT represent any hair company, I do NOT sell any products and my only clients are the people who need my services.

The type of coaching that I offer - personal phone calls, web-casts, video/picture sharing, email - all in a private environment - is what I am passionate about. I feel strongly that there are people who want to learn in a safe, private exchange by communicating with someone who ACTUALLY wears hair.

My desire is to help others learn how to wear hair confidently and quickly for a fair, affordable price.

• 6 months later...

Agree about the Dermmatch and the fibers. The fibers make a huge mess and don't seem to add that much.

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

great toppik and thanks for bringing it up!!!!!!!!!!

i dnt let girls touch my hair full stop any way so the concealer on hands is not a problem.........................................................

how ever my biggest pain in the arse is stying at a girls place then getting there pillows covered in brown crap.... how humiliating????

i need a concealer that will look good and not cover my lady friends pillows and run down my head like bird poo in the rain????

any suggestions,

nanogen on the rear is ok but does dermatch really produce good results just behind the hairline that wont run off on pillows or down my head???

my routine consists of a base of dermmatch lightly all over the scalp, blend it in with my finger tips all over. Dry it with a hair dryer on the cool setting. and then add a lil toppik accordingly.

I then lock it in with hair spray.

As far as touching goes.. It is a challenge I won't lie. However some women chalk it up to, he has gel in his hair so whatever..

First transplant with karamikian 6/05, less than 1000 to my hairline, result was mediocre at best.

2nd HT with Feller 2/08, 3000+ to my front third.

Definitely dermatch combined with nanogen will give u the best look, IMHO. Wash your hair, blow it semi dry, apply dermatch ( i use my fingers to brush dermatch across like gel, i know its dirty but i thought this works best ). wait for it to dry and sprinkle nanogen and voila! oh, and of cos the mandatory hair spray :)

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

ah righte when u say with ur fingers like gel, do you get like a pea sized blob out and make it wet and apply it like gel or do you use it dry and just smudge it in???

im a newbie to it and cant figure it out?

but im planning on using dermatch base on thin spots then nanogen with hairspray!!! ??

Nope. Dermatch is not in tube form. Its like hardened mud ( lol ), and i just run some water over it to make it soft before dapping my fingers over it. After that i just apply it like i am applying gel. Note i always wear my hair slick to the back. After that i will let it dry before sprinkling nanogen / toppik before hair spray.

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

• 3 months later...

Wow...what a topic that really hits home. Want to hear something quite upsetting and embarrassing.

I've been with my girlfriend for over 3years and she hasn't "once" ran her fingers through my hair. Not even played with it much because I keep it so pinned down with hairspray to lock everything in and if one section (in front/hairline say) budges, it may mess up everything I've accomplished and quite possibly blow my spot entirely. I just won't let it happen and constantly avoid any instance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great thread btw well I have experimented with Nanogen on my crown and it works very well as long as you don't cake it on, you can run your hands through it as long as they are dry and it won't come off but it will always leave a mark on the pillow.

Short of carrying around a dark pillow with you and insisting you can only sleep with that one (and yes she is going to think you are strange) I don't know what you can do if you get lucky, sleep at yours and have dark pillows I guess.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

• 4 weeks later...

I have used Toppik for at least 7 years now (I'm 31) and I will admit it is definitely a challenge. I put it in my hairline (Norwood 3 ). From time to time I would get a few comments here and there but I would dismiss them quickly and no big scene was created thankfully. In terms of dating...it is tough...I pretty much NEVER let anyone (let alone a girl) touch my hair...I just say I have gel in it and don't want to mess it up. I am though constantly in my head making sure I don't reveal my secret (i.e. i use toppik) to any of them. In terms of sleeping over...it definitely will leave a residue on the pillow case but this can be avoided in the morning by wiping it off...I am a pro at it now. Overall I would never stop using it as it saved me and my 20's and early 30's now too.

It is a challenge however when I am getting ready in the morning as I always have Toppik on around her and when she sleeps over or we go away on vacation, I can't just walk around without it bc obviously she will be like what?! So getting ready in the bathroom is challenging and will always be but just the inconvenience you have to put up with and I am willing (and/or have to) deal with it. Hope this helps!!!

• 1 month later...

This is so funny..I guess we all have the same issues. I have been fighting this mental anxiety battle for many years. When I go anywhere I take my orthopedic pillow in a black pillow case so that I dont have to worry about the concealer rubbing off on the pillow. If I sleep over with a new girl I never used her pillow and would try and sleep with my hands under my head worried all night about something rubbing off on the sheets. It's a massive pain.

I guess these concealers have advanced however as I use one called 20 Second Hair now that is not rubbing off on the pillow (at least in my testing it at home). I still am too paranoid to sleep over and use a white pillow. This new stuff also doesnt seem to come off on my hands but I still wont allow my hair to be touched. I guess it's just tough to overcome the paranoia built up over the years. I'm just glad progress is finally being made in these concealers. I feel a lot more at ease using them than I used to.

• 1 month later...

I'm gay, but I do have the issue with my boyfriend (as well as flirtatious other guys when I'm out at night). My boyfriend and I have lived together for five years, and he has no idea that I use Propecia, Dermmatch, or XFusion hair fibers. Really. Clueless.

I'm sure the fact that I have naturally dark blonde/light brown hair (with highlights) and have opted for beige/taupe bedding helps. Also, dim lighting works wonders, too. ;-)

However, when a guy reaches to touch my hair--or even a girl since a lot of girls really like my hair and think they should then touch it--I automatically say, "I'm using a LOT of product right now, so you're going to be really grossed out if you touch it." That usually stops them. If they actually touch my hair, they won't linger because my disclaimer has made them aware that I'm rather "particular" about my hair. My boyfriend knows to leave my hair alone. Oddly, he's the same way. Even though he's not thinning and doesn't even use product, he won't even let ME touch his hair (unless I'm cutting or styling it for him). No playing in it, though. In other words, it's a common quirk you can play off.

The real trick is the styling. Fortunately, he sleeps a LOT later than I do, so I can handle the styling before he gets up. If we're away, though, I take care of it all while he's showering. I keep all of my "tools" in a work bag I use when I'm on set or location or something. He has no need or desire to go into the bag, and even if he did, he'd just assume it's something I use on others (which I have).