name your top 5

I agree - great post!

Here's mine after doing my research and having had a procedure and after continuing to see new photos.

I struggle with who is 'top' as I agree very much with NW4 that it depends on what you are going for. Since I was looking for hairline work and hiding old Bosley 'work', while also correcting the Bosley scar, the following is my top list. Plus, since I know I want to go back for (a) further thickening of my hairline, (b) scar revision / correction and © temple work (need some 'triangles'!!, the following remains my top candidates (the top 3 are honestly tied):

1. Shapiro - very natural results, seems to do great work with minimal grafts.

1. Rahal - his density simply blows me away. I haven't seen any scar work, though, to comment on that. I think he does some FUE so I wouldn't mind some work on my old scar that is too low to correct otherwise.

1. Feller - also very impressive and his work on Spex makes me drool! It's so natural and thick and impressive. Also, since he does FUE work, he could correct my old scar.

4. H&W - What can I say about this state of the art operation? I think they are the masters at moving the most grafts and creating amazing crowns, so that is why I rank them slightly below the others for my particular needs.

5. Alexander - just flat out continues to impress me. Great temple work and hairline work - very natural. I suppose the only reason he ranks at number 5 is because I still would need to see more work to move the ranking up.

Just off the list: Armani - if only he did Strip still, I'd be extremely tempted! But the FUE results I've seen have not blown me away in the same manner.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NW4, you contradict yourself when you say.....

I have seen fantastic results from feller especially on NW3-4 patients.

with this.........

Best Doc for hairline design and density #1 Rahal, #2 Armani (strip) - This is a very important consideration and these 2 docs seem to either focus more or have greater artistic skill at providing a hairline design that frames the face nicely. If you are a NW2-3, I would choose Rahal or Armani.

I really enjoyed reading this thread. At first I thought "oh, no....this could turn into the OK Corral", but there been some great responses and interesting reasoning as to placement of particular Docs!

In the case of HT's.............size matters. Some people get HT's being NW3, some are NW6-7. Obviously, the strategy with each is unique in that the potential for restoration varies from one candidate to the next depending on age, loss, quality of donor...etc.

Here are my picks:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Dr. Wong - of course I may be partial icon_wink.gif, but I picked Dr. Wong for my 2nd HT (and upcoming 3rd) initially for his crownwork but also his artistry. I'm sticking with him for my hairline work as well as I believe he's at the top.<LI>Dr. Hasson - again, I like Dr. Hasson's artistry, and, in the case of anyone with the donor and need for a large session, I think he's awesome.<LI>Dr. Ron Shaprio - I really, really like his quality of work from start to finish, hairlines especially hairline artistry.<LI>Dr. Rahal - I like the quality of his work and the results I've seen.<LI>Dr. Feller - Also continue to be a fan of his work.

I also continue to like the work I see from Dr. Alexander, Dr. Paul Shapiro and Dr. Cooley so for me it's really tough to leave each out of my top 5 as I would sit in the chair with any of them. That's why ranking is so tough!!

I really appreciate any Doctor who's clinic, or prior HT patients, are willing to post a variety of their work on the forum.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

NW4, you contradict yourself when you say.....

quote:

I have seen fantastic results from feller especially on NW3-4 patients.

I am not sure where the contradiction is? I like Rahal a lot for a NW2-3 and Feller for a NW3-4. Yes, there is some overlap there. Does this make sense? But it depends on the individual situation and both docs are so good, that you could basically flip a coin and be safe. I personally am leaning towards going with Rahal because I have deep temporal recession like Bill Murray, but no diffuse thinning, so I think Rahal can densepack a good hairline for me like he has for patients on this forum like MP96, chicksdigguyswithhair, frontaltool and others.

Bye hair ,I didnt know we changed the subject to top 5 hacks ,but I have to admit I saw his website a couple months back and listened to that jingle at least 5 times in a row. I think thats how he lures his victims. There a subliminal messages in that little jingle

BE CAREFUL. Before you know it youll be on a plane to Flordia.

I always enjoy reading these threads and this one was particularly interesting as members are doing more than just listing doctors. Instead, each of you are providing your reasons for your "top 5" pick.

For those members and guests reading this thread, I think an important message to take out of this is, choosing a "top 5" in many ways, is highly subjective.

At the same time however, it's not so subjective where one can compare a surgeon still using outdated techniques such as "minigrafts" with those using ultra refined follicular unit hair transplantation. There are clear objective differences and educating yourself before hand will help you narrow down your choices to be able to subjectively select your top 5 favorites.

Bill

I feel as though I need to make a couple of changes to my top 5. Now that Alexander is posting more Im amazed at his hairlines and what he is able to do with minimal grafts. He's cracked my top 5. Keep up the good work doc!

Hey guys.

I agree...fun thread to read.

It's always interesting to see how others are thinking...especially in a subject that is so important in all of our lives right now.

There is one thing that jumps out at me when looking through this thread.

In most of the top five choices...it's almost always the docs that show there work the most on the forum.

I hope my doc show his results more often.

I'm not at all trying to be a bone-head here.

It was just something that jumped out at me.

I agree with ALL you guys.

There's not one doc that any of you have mentioned that I don't consider to be awesome.

My list :

I agree with all the docs you mentioned.

Of course I'm inserting my doc (Epstein into my little list)

As usual...thanks guys.

This forum and all you guys have been a big help in my journey.

MH

I think it is important to look at patient photo albums that are posted by the patients themselves in addition to what the doctors or doctors' representatives post. The Doctors are wisely going to post their best work. A good tool to use for research is looking at patient web-logs. They are usually submitted by the patient and are often un-solicited, so they are a better depiction of reality.

I think a lot of the Doctors listed above have achieved success from good online promotion, but also from word of mouth on these forums that comes as a result of quality, consistent work.

I agree that it's important for patients to post their results.

For this, I would say H&W are the most impressive (quantity and quality), followed by Rahal, Feller and then Shapiro. I don't see many patients from Shapiro post, which is a shame. Even Pat our Publisher has had work from Shapiro, but never posted his final results after 12+ months. Nor have I seen Alexander patients post their results (ie. 3mth, 6mth, 9mth, 12mth progress).

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

If somebody had a transplant done and are happy there are going to pick them as number one even though they have never seen other doctors work live. I may be biast but the transformation done by H&W in frequency are unrivaled in photos from any other doctor I have seen on the internet. Bobman, Jotronic, Futzyhead, Shuffle, Brocciante (italian patient I have met, the most incredible I have seen), and many others. There photos are the most accurate and less flattering photos that give you a realistic look on what somebody looks like. If you meet a patient in person after you have seen there photos they will look better.

So my top 5 would be

1)Hasson and Wong

3)Shapiro

4)Feller

5)????

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I cannot wait for our new website to launch---

Lorenzo is right--H&W has unrivaled exposure on the net, excellent results and their patients are consistently happy.

I think when our website launches people will see the work being done at SMG and wonder why we didn't do this sooner!!

Anyway, the pics/HD vids will be excellent and will allow patients to see people from every NW class.

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Well, I don't know really. I had thought it would already be up, but then there was an issue with the website and HD videos.

This website will be amazing when it is launched, but I am crossing my fingers it is very soon--- it is finished for all intents and purposes, but a couple of small wrinkles need smoothing.

Aside from legal questions, people ask me about the new site more than anything else!!!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Just like Dr Shapiro is a perfectionist during surgery ,he is as far as the site being launched. I asked him about the new site and he said hes only 99% happy so far and thats not enough.

The current website shows some good results but you really have to go there to really appreciate the hundreds of amazing results they have there.

• Administrators

Over the years forum members have been making top doctor lists. It's natural that potential patients should do this because ultimately we have to make and narrow our own list down to one clinic.

Frankly, these days, as more and more physicians have evolved their techniques, there are many excellent choices - many of whom are not popular or widely discussed on the forums.

For example, I have visited Dr. Griffin's clinic in Atlanta twice to observe his surgery ( click here to view the highlights). When I first visited him almost five years ago he was way ahead of his time and already doing Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Grafting before this community even had a name for the technique. I found his technique, dedication and staff to be superb. Given his excellent credentials, patient track record, technique and staff he is an elite member of the Coalition.

Yet he is rarely discussed on the forums. This is true for many of the clinics who I have visited and who I believe are just as good or even better than some of those who are well known and popular on the forums.

This situation reminds me of the saying "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it did it make a sound?" I believe it did make a sound even if it was not heard - on or offline.

I simply want to remind forum members to look beyond a doctor's online visibility and popularity and evaluate their intrinsic merits. I think the handful of clinics that are most popular on this and other forums are really only the tip of the iceberg.

Over the past ten years I have seen the popularity of doctors come and go on the forums. Physicians who are all the rage today, may not even have been discussed a few years ago.

The essential ingredient in these clinics becoming respected and popular online is great technique and results and getting these results seen on the forums.

Unfortunately, many of the Coalition clinics have great technique and results, but never make the effort to share their results online. I constantly nag and pester them to share their work on our forum. But only a minority of these physicians are comfortable or willing to do this.

Bill, now spends time trying to get the doctors to post. I had to laugh when he was puzzled by how hard it was to get doctors to simply put their results online. Doctors have long had the reputation of being bad business men. To this I would add bad posters.

For my long list of top docs see the Hair Transplant Network :-)

Best wishes for narrowing your choices down to a list of one.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.