name your top 5

Originally posted by Pat - Publisher of this Community:

For example, I have visited Dr. Griffin's clinic in Atlanta twice to observe his surgery ( click here to view the highlights). When I first visited him almost five years ago he was way ahead of his time and already doing Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Grafting before this community even had a name for the technique. I found his technique, dedication and staff to be superb. Given his excellent credentials, patient track record, technique and staff he is an elite member of the Coalition.

Yet he is rarely discussed on the forums. This is true for many of the clinics who I have visited and who I believe are just as good or even better than some of those who are well known and popular on the forums.

Pat

Pat,

I learned of Dr. Griffin here on this forum, and actually visited him about 2.5 years ago. I, too, found him very professional and capable.

However, since then I've had a couple issues that I believe he should correct just from a business standpoint. Now, he may have all the business he can stand I don't know. But, from a customer standpoint this is why I didn't choose him even though I'm 40 minutes from his office:

1. His pricing is different from most others, as he charges by very small, small, medium, etc. Two people who answered the phone told me that large sessions of more than 1,700 were "few and far between", and that I likely wouldn't need that.

This obviously made me feel good, but I became confused when Jotronic told me I could use 4,000; Dr. Charles said 2,500 and Ailene/Dr. Cooley said 2,500.

Now, not being a newbie anymore icon_cool.gif I realize I probably should have spoken directly with Dr. Griffin. However, when you decide to do something like this your emotions often take over so after a couple of 'issues' you generally move on. So that's what I did. Who knows, maybe the two people I spoke with hate doing larger sessions and told me that... I don't know. But I can see now by his pics he has done sessions over 3,000.

2. He prescribed me a topical minoxidil / finasteride solution I stayed on for 2 years. It's $38 or so per month. I've had several people, including one doctor directly, three or four techs, and several posters say that finasteride doesn't work topically. One doctor didn't actually say it doesn't work when I showed him the bottle, but he shook his head so I got the impression he didn't think so either.

Maybe I'm skeptical, but I suspect he makes that himself for a residual type income stream. I don't think doctors get kickbacks on Propecia, but what about a solution they invented, make and sell right there at the clinic?

Anyway, personally I think his clinic would do better by posting his outstanding results routinely and stop prescribing the PR+5%.

And, if they'll give me back the $1,000 I've spent on it I'll stop talking about it. icon_mad.gif

But, then again maybe he's ahead of his time on this as well....

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I'm still in a "shopping mode" for a doc, I can't really say anything based on my experience but everything I've seen on these forums. The top 5 in my opinion is really a top number ones icon_smile.gif

In no particular order icon_smile.gif

1. Dr. Feller - this guy never fails icon_smile.gif

1. Dr. Alexander - just as good as Dr.Feller just lives in my backyard (Phoenix AZ)

1. Drs H&W - same consistent results

1. Dr. Rahal - extremely great results

1. Dr. Shapiro - all the pics I've seen are very consistent.

So as you can see there are no TOP5 in my books but rather 5 number ones icon_smile.gif

Dewayne,

Dr. Griffin performs regular sessions of over 2500 grafts when appropriate for the patient.

I'm not sure if it was you or someone else I addressed regarding a misunderstanding about Dr. Griffin's session sizes and prices, but I've confirmed by phone a few months back, their pricing and that they perform these regular larger sessions when appropriate for the patient.

It is true that physicians may have a different idea regarding the number of grafts required to meet a patient's hair restoration goals. In person consultations are sometimes needed and speaking with the physician is helpful.

When you say "finasteride/minoxidil" solution, what are you referring to? Is this a topical solution? Taking finasteride orally and minoxidil topically can certainly help maintain existing hair - not so sure about a topical mix solution.

Bill

Bill,

That was me back, oh four months ago, before I became smart about hair transplants.... icon_wink.gif I know now that he can do larger sessions, as one of his assistants posted on here. It was quite the minor controversy for a day or two. Nevertheless, two people told me different when I called.

Dr. Griffin prescribes a topical solution called PR+5% that has as it's active ingredient minoxidil and finasteride. It's a liquid similar looking to Rogaine. It's applied to the head once per day. A couple of other guys on here have it too.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Originally posted by spex:
Unfortunately, many of the Coalition clinics have great technique and results, but never make the effort to share their results online. I constantly nag and pester them to share their work on our forum. But only a minority of these physicians are comfortable or willing to do this.

Begs the question why though doesn't it ? Its so incredibly simple to do that i actually taught my 5 year old nephew this w/e how to transfer pics from a camera to a PC. The consistancy of results needs to be increased across the community in order to constantly keep the public well informed on what standards are actually being performed on a daily basis - not just their "favourable" pics from time to time - Very regular pics and a broad variety of work should be a coalition criteria maybe - This way keeping the high standard and even pushing it higher icon_smile.gif

I'm with you Spex! What's the point of a doctor wanting to join this forum, get recommended and then never post any results and just pay their monetary dues. I don't think that these doctors should be 'nagged', they should be 'demanded' to show results or get removed from the forum.

Plain and simple.

Otherwise, how do we know if they are consistently providing top-notch impressive results?

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Dear forum members,

I truly wish our Coalition physicians would take more time and get involved in our community. And until they do, I can truly understand why patients will form a top 5 list that don't include those that are less visible. However, just because there is a lack of online visibility, it doesn't necessarily equate to a lack of quality. I strongly believe this is the case with our Coalition physicians who have been personally visited and evaluated by Pat.

I have been attempting to get some of these physicians to get more regularly involved and I do believe that many of them are highly sincere about doing so. But like any good idea, it is worthless until it is turned into action. I think many physicians get real busy and put getting involved on our forum on the backburner. Though they could get involved if they put forth the effort, putting it on a priority list seems to be the greatest hurdle for many of them.

Nonetheless, I will continue to encourage and challenge our physicians to and encourage their patients to get involved and hopefully with a number of reminders, they'll truly see the great mutual benefit (for them and their prospective patients) of posting their quality results on a high volume patient driven community.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by Bill:

However, just because there is a lack of online visibility, it doesn't necessarily equate to a lack of online visibility. I strongly believe this is the case with our Coalition physicians who have been personally visited and evaluated by Pat.

I assume you meant "doesn't necessarily equate to a lack of quality" or something along those lines? I do agree with that statement, but since these surgeons are 'highly recommended', the responsibility is for them to prove that they have retained their skills since Pat visited with them. I truly believe that they were skilled when Pat visited with, but just as a clinic can dramatically improve with time, they can dramatically get worse with time also.

Think about Dr. DeYarman. There was a reason he was removed from the site - lack of consistently impressive work. But if no patients ever commented on his work on the forum or if he never posted patient results, he could still be recommended... This is my fear with the 'silent' doctors recommended on this forum.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog