Verteporfin HAIR REGENERATION HUMAN TRIAL Dr. Barghouthi *OFFICIAL THREAD

Melvin- Admin

4 hours ago, make_aaron_great_again said:

Great video! @Melvin- Moderator Why not punch out the existing scars from a previous FUE procedure then inject verteporfin? As long as all of the existing scar tissue was removed, using a larger punch, it should behave the same as a virgin skin that is wounded. Again, Longaker has stated several times saying that he thinks this approach would work. I don't see why this would be any different than removing a previous FUT scar, as was discussed. Definitely hope this is something that is tried after the next trial. 

Edited by MrFox
  • Like 1

• Administrators
12 hours ago, MrFox said:

Great video! @Melvin- Moderator Why not punch out the existing scars from a previous FUE procedure then inject verteporfin? As long as all of the existing scar tissue was removed, using a larger punch, it should behave the same as a virgin skin that is wounded. Again, Longaker has stated several times saying that he thinks this approach would work. I don't see why this would be any different than removing a previous FUT scar, as was discussed. Definitely hope this is something that is tried after the next trial. 

I believe Dr. Barghouthi said this is possible. Again, more studies are required. But to simplify things, he feels it's better to start on a virgin scalp. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

47 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I believe Dr. Barghouthi said this is possible. Again, more studies are required. But to simplify things, he feels it's better to start on a virgin scalp. 

Understood, perhaps he would be willing to try on the biopsy he takes from the control area on the next study. I don't think that would affect the results and since we are already removing scar tissue, all that would be needed is to inject a small dose of verteporfin to the wound. 

Edited by MrFox
  • Like 1

i sure hope this works on pre existing fue scars. my donor is spotty, tried smp on the donor but would rather grow the hair out which isnt an option now.   dont want to have to get my donor restocked but might be my only option. 3 fue precedures and not happy with the growth or donor so hats have been my best friend for the past 2 years 😢

• Administrators
Just now, Im actually here for scars said:

Please can the latest photos be posted in full and in colour?

Did you watch the video? All of the pictures were shared there.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Steele114 said:

i sure hope this works on pre existing fue scars. my donor is spotty, tried smp on the donor but would rather grow the hair out which isnt an option now.   dont want to have to get my donor restocked but might be my only option. 3 fue precedures and not happy with the growth or donor so hats have been my best friend for the past 2 years 😢

If it regrows the hair, then there really is no reason why it shouldn't regrow all of it, it's the mechanism of the drug to do so, so I hope Dr Barghouthi can find the ideal dosage and other factors that leads to 100 percent regrowth, then it would just be a matter of getting enough hair transplants to take give anyone a full head of hair. And if it works in the recipient area or a bald head on the top, then we won't even need hair transplants anymore, it would be a full on cure; that being said i'm cautiously optimistic that it will work on completely bald areas of the scalp, but hopefully it will.

14 minutes ago, takuma said:

And if it works in the recipient area or a bald head on the top, then we won't even need hair transplants anymore, it would be a full on cure; that being said i'm cautiously optimistic that it will work on completely bald areas of the scalp, but hopefully it will.

without a transplanz you would need still need to take finasteride or yoi would be in a constant state of miniaturization, wounding and regrowth which doesnt look good

verteporfin will be hence superior in combination with hairtransplants imho

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

without a transplanz you would need still need to take finasteride or yoi would be in a constant state of miniaturization, wounding and regrowth which doesnt look good

verteporfin will be hence superior in combination with hairtransplants imho

It's all about having options. Personally, I'd prefer the first option and take the medication. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jwolfe890 said:

If this is so promising why aren't there more experiments going on at other clinics? The pics we've seen can be misleading and we might just all be falling for confirmation bias. 

NVM the biopsy that confirms the results from and independent lab! Surgeons don't want to take the initial risk, now that we have some solid results, I would be shocked if more don't come on board. Remember even techniques like FUE took a long time to be fully adopted by all the clinics. 

• Like 5

• Administrators
2 hours ago, jwolfe890 said:

If this is so promising why aren't there more experiments going on at other clinics? The pics we've seen can be misleading and we might just all be falling for confirmation bias. 

There always have to be a first. Do you know what everyone thought about FUE when it first came out in its new form back in 2000. Dr. Barghouthi will go down in history. Mark my words. Also, doing these trials cost money. Most surgeons don’t want to front their own money on something unproven. We all owe a great deal to Dr. Barghouthi, that’s why members here created the Verteporfin.org site for him to help crowdfund. I know a number of surgeons interested in doing trials now.

• Like 10

View my thread

this is a very long thread. I can’t get through it all. can someone cliff note it for me?

is this a pill? injection? a topical?

it’s supposed to regenerate hair that has been previously extracted? both FUE and FUT?

how long have these trials been happening?

realistically how far away is this treatment from adoption, if further trials prove successful?

thanks in advance

• Administrators
1 hour ago, hairlossPA said:

this is a very long thread. I can’t get through it all. can someone cliff note it for me?

is this a pill? injection? a topical?

it’s supposed to regenerate hair that has been previously extracted? both FUE and FUT?

how long have these trials been happening?

realistically how far away is this treatment from adoption, if further trials prove successful?

thanks in advance

Verteporfin is an injection. It stops the pathway to scarring. In mice, it was shown that it would regrow the hair follicle where the wound was created. It has shown similar things in this human clinical trial. Per the most recent biopsy, the pathologists noted double the amount of hair in the test site vs. the controlled site.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

View my thread

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Great video @Melvin- Moderator I might’ve missed it but did Barghouthi state when he was doing the next procedure with verteporfin, and what the dosages will be? Thanks!

He said the next trial will be in the next few months. He will start at a minimum of 0.4 and move upward. 

• Like 1

View my thread

9 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

He said the next trial will be in the next few months. He will start at a minimum of 0.4 and move upward. 

I thought he said he has the patient booked for Mid-End of April and Early May as possible slots for the trial. I remember him saying that he booked for two possible dates; did something change?

On 4/2/2023 at 10:28 PM, takuma said:

If it regrows the hair, then there really is no reason why it shouldn't regrow all of it, it's the mechanism of the drug to do so, so I hope Dr Barghouthi can find the ideal dosage and other factors that leads to 100 percent regrowth, then it would just be a matter of getting enough hair transplants to take give anyone a full head of hair.

Many ways in which the human body works are still a mystery. While we of course are all hoping for (something close to) 100% regrowth, it's not sure whether that's possible with verteporfin. However, on the bright side:

• If regrowth is "just" 50%, imagine having 7000 available donor grafts. That's now 14000 grafts. More than enough to cover a NW6 with glamrock level hair density.
  • Perhaps at the locations at which hair didn't regrow, if the skin is punched out again in a later transplant with a decently wide punch, maybe it gets another chance at regrowing? Maybe all we need to do is repeated sessions of punching out skin in between follicular units and inject until the desired density is reached. Whether that's in the donor region or not.
  • Any decent percentage of regrowth would mean we would have a way to increase the net terminal scalp hair count in a human for the first time in history. That is revolutionary and a breakthrough in and of itself. If the donor area has been overharvested for example, maybe all one would need is to transplant grafts within the donor area, just letting the chance for regrowth increase the net amount of hairs each time.
Edited by alopeciaphobia
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your efforts so far Dr. Barghouthi, your contribution in this research is priceless. Also, thank you Melvin for all the necessary arrangements for the publicity of this topic.

Just a thought from my side, given that you will continue the trials with other dosages, it would be interesting to see if this medicine works for scars too. I know this thread is focused on hair restoration but I believe that if scar-free healing results are published then lots of doctors will jump in to contribute to this research. The world has not yet seen any official results of scar free healing in humans.

Specifically, you could make some small incisions (i.e. 4-5 mm) in an part of the patient's body that is not easy to see (i.e. the inner side of the thighs) and create a test site as well as a control site, similarly to what has been done so far. Even if it doesn't work, these small scars will not be visible. 

If I were the patient I would happily agree to this test, even if anyone happened to see these small scars I would honorably say that I contributed to one of the most groundbreaking researches of our time - and who knows it might as well work.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, disvoltage said:

Thank you for all your efforts so far Dr. Barghouthi, your contribution in this research is priceless. Also, thank you Melvin for all the necessary arrangements for the publicity of this topic.

Just a thought from my side, given that you will continue the trials with other dosages, it would be interesting to see if this medicine works for scars too. I know this thread is focused on hair restoration but I believe that if scar-free healing results are published then lots of doctors will jump in to contribute to this research. The world has not yet seen any official results of scar free healing in humans.

Specifically, you could make some small incisions (i.e. 4-5 mm) in an part of the patient's body that is not easy to see (i.e. the inner side of the thighs) and create a test site as well as a control site, similarly to what has been done so far. Even if it doesn't work, these small scars will not be visible. 

If I were the patient I would happily agree to this test, even if anyone happened to see these small scars I would honorably say that I contributed to one of the most groundbreaking researches of our time - and who knows it might as well work.

I would volunteer to have my fut keloid scar removed lol

On 4/1/2023 at 10:20 AM, ijustbethinkin said:

I 100% agree that in an ideal world we can test every use of Vertoporfin, but right now there is only one clinical test lined up and limited testing being done and I think testing it on the recipient area would be a dud(my opinion). You say that "the follicles that regrow in the balding area would not be miniaturised"  but I think the opposite i think that if you were to punch out a miniaturised hair it would regrow miniaturised, Vertoporfin blocks scarring it will not make the hair go through cycles of regrowth, only consistent use of DHT blockers will do that, and research that shows wounding aids regrowth suggests stem cells is the cause, idk if Vert would aid in that regard tbh but even if it did you could be just as well off microneedling. This leads me to believe that if you were to punch out a miniturised hair it would not regrow a completely healthy hair follicle, it would just regrow whatever was in the area that you extracted or injured. However punch out  healthy DHT resistant follicle and block scarring and one should hopefully regrow.I hope this made sense & hopefully we can eventually test recipient area vert and I can be proven wrong for those who want to use Vert this way. 

There is a danger with microneedling that if you go too deep the scalp forms scar tissue, this limits the needling you can safely do to the scalp. Theoretically verteporfin would allow you to wound the area much deeper and regrow the skin without scar tissue. Something that hasn't been clearly explained yet either is if verteporfin can fix scar tissue by rewounding the skin deeply and rebuilding the skin

On 4/20/2023 at 5:27 AM, disvoltage said:

I have trouble believing that even if this happened people would truly care enough to start their own trails unless it’s a big company that can form it’s own product and sell it. Dr Barghouthi proved to at least lower scarring and even regrowth of some hair and nobody in those fields (that I know of) bat an eye. I wish they would look at what he’s currently doing and trail it for themselves in whichever way they want rather than depending on a hair transplant surgeon to go out of his way and do their jobs for them. 

• Like 1