Verteporfin HAIR REGENERATION HUMAN TRIAL Dr. Barghouthi *OFFICIAL THREAD

Melvin- Admin

21 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

I'm curious to see how it looked visually -- wondering if you have any photos, and how much you think it might've improved since the last update in November.. It's been a while since the last update, so I'd assume the healing process is basically complete.

Great question. In addition to that, does the improved regrowth rate in the test-sites seem to hold? In other words, are the hairs / follicles grown from verteporfin (or at least we think) still there in numbers?

1 hour ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Hi guys,

Hope you’re all well. I took two biopsies today for our patient. I took them from one Test area and one Control area. Ideally I wanted to take from all sites but unfortunately these 4mm punch biopsies would need a stitch in each and felt a comparison between one control and one Test area could give us some indication for the time being about the scarring itself and the type of hair around the scarred area or within it. Will keep you posted once I get the pathology report back.

I’m looking at the 18th of March as a possible date for the second trial. I’m looking at either an FUE or at the possibility of injecting into the recipient area. 

That is incredible news!

Thanks again, Dr., for single-handedly spearheading the development of this potentially revolutionary technique.

I can only sympathize with the difficult decision of whether to try a full FUE + donor verteporfin or a recipient verteporfin experiment first. Both have the ability to become revolutionary.

Hopefully, time and funding will soon permit to try out both.

Out of curiosity, how would you imagine the methodology for a recipient side injection experiment?

Thanks again! Wishing you the best.

• Like 2

Thank you dr barghouthi for your amazing work and to every one else involved.

Just wanted to add to the conversation what  i have not seen mentioned trying to induce follicle neogenisis in a  bald scalp with Verteporfin will probably only give temporary results with out continued intervention to sustain the hair as the reasons for its loss in the first place would still be present and unchanged.

If true scar free fue is possible transplanting baldness resistant donor zone skin to replace balding scalp tissue could induce follicle neogenisis both on the bald scalp in the graft site and donor zone. This could most easily be done by using previous fue extraction sites that failed to Regenerate despite using Verteporfin rolling the dice again for them to grow hair  while possibly gaining additional hair in two places from one extraction.

Also Beard hair is very resistant to hair loss and very hardy and I would guess extracted beard hair would regenerate at a higher % if removed and transplanted repeatedly than donor zone hair would.

7 hours ago, HAIR5588 said:

Thank you dr barghouthi for your amazing work and to every one else involved.

Just wanted to add to the conversation what  i have not seen mentioned trying to induce follicle neogenisis in a  bald scalp with Verteporfin will probably only give temporary results with out continued intervention to sustain the hair as the reasons for its loss in the first place would still be present and unchanged.

If true scar free fue is possible transplanting baldness resistant donor zone skin to replace balding scalp tissue could induce follicle neogenisis both on the bald scalp in the graft site and donor zone. This could most easily be done by using previous fue extraction sites that failed to Regenerate despite using Verteporfin rolling the dice again for them to grow hair  while possibly gaining additional hair in two places from one extraction.

Also Beard hair is very resistant to hair loss and very hardy and I would guess extracted beard hair would regenerate at a higher % if removed and transplanted repeatedly than donor zone hair would.

Beard Hair wouldn't have my preference though. I have seen some showcases of transplants with Beard but it rarely looks good.  And it it does, it is still nearly impossible to manage due to the fact that it is so thick, strong and coarse. 

Nice if you want to increase your actual beard, but for the head it isn't a great option. I would first focus in how regeneration of scalp hair goes.

• Administrators

We’re scheduling a podcast to discuss the results live. Stay tuned!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1
  • Well Done 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 10/19/2022 at 4:31 AM, Carlos0 said:

I'm interested in seeing the results on the patient it's been a while, if they still have those hairs growing then I think we can assume they are robust terminal hairs at this point. I'm also interested in seeing what the Dr. Barghouthi has cooking up for the next steps and whether he will be testing the recipient site with different doses and concentrations or if he will do a full fue or both..

On 3/4/2023 at 2:08 PM, alopeciaphobia said:

That is incredible news!

Thanks again, Dr., for single-handedly spearheading the development of this potentially revolutionary technique.

I can only sympathize with the difficult decision of whether to try a full FUE + donor verteporfin or a recipient verteporfin experiment first. Both have the ability to become revolutionary.

Hopefully, time and funding will soon permit to try out both.

Out of curiosity, how would you imagine the methodology for a recipient side injection experiment?

Thanks again! Wishing you the best.

I am wondering about something, why do injection only, why not try smearing the verteporfin across the whole test site as well.  Dr Barghouthi is currently injecting the donor site after extracting the follicles with verteporfin, i wonder if just applying verteporfin topically over the site is enough to regenerate the hairs, and could possibly lead to greater growth/ regeneration of the donor area if not full regrowth.

Hi guys,

I spoke to the pathologist today about a date for the biopsy result and it should be ready in the next day or two. I have to mention that I have provided him with no clinical background and no indication of what these biopsies are. I understand that his view of the sample might be generalised and non specific as there is no clinical background (apart from FUE extraction sites). Nonetheless any positive difference between both scarred areas could give us an indication. Will keep you posted ofcourse. 

I do have a plan for the new trial this month.  It will be either an FUE in full (half donor injected and half not) and one injecting vert straight into the recipient area and assessing response of DHT sensitive hair. 

• Like 11

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

On 3/14/2023 at 1:53 PM, DrTBarghouthi said:

Hi guys,

I spoke to the pathologist today about a date for the biopsy result and it should be ready in the next day or two. I have to mention that I have provided him with no clinical background and no indication of what these biopsies are. I understand that his view of the sample might be generalised and non specific as there is no clinical background (apart from FUE extraction sites). Nonetheless any positive difference between both scarred areas could give us an indication. Will keep you posted ofcourse. 

I do have a plan for the new trial this month.  It will be either an FUE in full (half donor injected and half not) and one injecting vert straight into the recipient area and assessing response of DHT sensitive hair. 

What is the photo update says? Is there any further regeneration of new hair than the last photo update? 

23 minutes ago, Fego said:

What is the photo update says? Is there any further regeneration of new hair than the last photo update? 

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to do a photo update like the ones we did before during this visit. This visit was intended for the biopsy so we had to give local anaesthesia in the area and prepare him for it. I only did a quick check to identify previously extracted areas and mark them to take the biopsies from there. 

• Like 3

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

18 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to do a photo update like the ones we did before during this visit. This visit was intended for the biopsy so we had to give local anaesthesia in the area and prepare him for it. I only did a quick check to identify previously extracted areas and mark them to take the biopsies from there. 

Hello Dr. Barghouthi,

Have you received the pathology report and biopsy results 

back, do you expect to recipe them today or when?

• Thumbs-down 2

On 3/14/2023 at 12:53 PM, DrTBarghouthi said:

Hi guys,

Hi Dr. Barghouthi ,

Im very thankfull for your  research project with verteporfin .

With the new trial it will be used the same dosage of verteporfin (0.24,0.32,0.4 mg) or it will be with higher dosage?

• Like 1

Hi guys, 

I received the biopsy results for both test and control areas as follow. Please be aware that the pathologist had very little insight at what the test area and control areas are and that he only knew that it is an area of an extraction site. He has no insight about the trial whatsoever. I also randomly assigned which areas to take the biopsy from and was taken from the 0.32 mg injection and control sites. 

Test: Sections show follicular hyperkeratosis, focal follicular plugging, No Lichenoid perifollicular lymphoid infiltrate, No dyskeratosis of the follicular epithelium, No perifollicular concentric fibrosis and minimal dermal fibrosis. 10 Hair follicles are seen. Three in anagen, 5 in catagen and 2 in telogen phase. 

Control : Sections show follicular hyperkeratosis, focal follicular plugging, focal lichenoid perifollicular lymphoid cell infiltrate, No dyskeratosis of the follicular epithelium. Perifollicular concentric fibrosis in some hair follicles and focal dermal fibrosis. 5 hair follicles are seen, 1 in anagen, 2 in catagen and 2 in telogen phase. 

I do think this is clearly a positive analysis on a cellular level. Ofcourse we do have limitations in that we couldn't biopsy all areas but I think it is a good result after all especially the variation in dermal fibrosis and hair counts. 

• Like 9

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

15 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Hi guys, 

I received the biopsy results for both test and control areas as follow. Please be aware that the pathologist had very little insight at what the test area and control areas are and that he only knew that it is an area of an extraction site. He has no insight about the trial whatsoever. I also randomly assigned which areas to take the biopsy from and was taken from the 0.32 mg injection and control sites. 

Test: Sections show follicular hyperkeratosis, focal follicular plugging, No Lichenoid perifollicular lymphoid infiltrate, No dyskeratosis of the follicular epithelium, No perifollicular concentric fibrosis and minimal dermal fibrosis. 10 Hair follicles are seen. Three in anagen, 5 in catagen and 2 in telogen phase. 

Control : Sections show follicular hyperkeratosis, focal follicular plugging, focal lichenoid perifollicular lymphoid cell infiltrate, No dyskeratosis of the follicular epithelium. Perifollicular concentric fibrosis in some hair follicles and focal dermal fibrosis. 5 hair follicles are seen, 1 in anagen, 2 in catagen and 2 in telogen phase. 

I do think this is clearly a positive analysis on a cellular level. Ofcourse we do have limitations in that we couldn't biopsy all areas but I think it is a good result after all especially the variation in dermal fibrosis and hair counts. 

Thanks for sharing

After the result of biopsy and almost 6 months following the patient progress. What is your conclusion? 

Do you think verteporfin help to regenerate new hair or just reduce the scar or both. So I did not start my HT and put it off untill see your study  conclusion. Do you see now I can plan to use verteporfin as I have limited donor 

15 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Hi guys, 

Edited by Fego

3 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Hi guys, 

I think that's pretty clear cut that the drug has had a substantial effect! Very exciting news! Are you still planning on setting up an interview with @Melvin- Moderator to discuss the results? It would also be great if you could talk about the upcoming trials as well!

• Thanks 1

It's truly amazing that a blinded pathologist was able to determine such a difference in fibrosis. Also the hair count difference is very interesting. Hopefully we can create more awareness around this case such that this can be repeated with a larger sample size. If a larger amount of biopsies shows similar differences in fibrosis and hair count, things could be published in a major journal...

To be more realistic, hopefully you'll be able to gather some interesting results this year and present them at a conference!

Edited by alopeciaphobia
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Does anyone know if there are still supply chain issues with verteporfin?

With these results, I'd imagine it's only a matter of time until (cosmetic) surgeons are going to want a steady supply of this stuff. Imagine using verteporfin for Fleur-De-Lis abdominoplasty, that would be HUGE.

Edited by alopeciaphobia
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Hi guys, 

Based on this, what % of extracted hair follicles do you estimated potentially regrew?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

How is it possible that the control site has hair follicles? So it is fair to say that the test site has 5 new hairs, which would be the work of 0.32 verteporfin. Where we expect the results of the 0.4 test site to be even higher I assume.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Square1 said:

How is it possible that the control site has hair follicles? So it is fair to say that the test site has 5 new hairs, which would be the work of 0.32 verteporfin. Where we expect the results of the 0.4 test site to be even higher I assume.

It's not like the control site has every single hair follicle taken out from what I understand -- that would look weird.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Square1 said:

The area taken for each biopsy is bigger than just one Unit Extraction. 

The hair follicles existence is good to hear. But I think the main details that would be of interest are "No perifollicular concentric fibrosis and minimal dermal fibrosis" indicating that (along side the pictures of follicles coming out of the extraction sites) the extra hair follicles could be caused by the lack of scar tissue development.

More testing will be needed but I think this is a promising result. 

Edited by SkyeBelcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Folks, Dr. Barghouthi said the biopsies were 4mm punches. To put that into perspective, for FUE, the most common punch size is 0.8-0.9mm. So it's very much expected to have mutiple hairs left over after FUE in that biopsy.

Edited by alopeciaphobia