Verteporfin HAIR REGENERATION HUMAN TRIAL Dr. Barghouthi *OFFICIAL THREAD

Melvin- Admin

40 minutes ago, sr1486 said:

Hey Dr…. Any interest on trying Verteporfin on a keloid FUT scar? I got one that makes me keep my hair longer and use hair fibers over it. I had 6 sessions of smp into that did nothing (did not stick). It’s kind of got my romantic life on hold for a while 

Hey, definitely off topic, but I had a FUT scar that really bummed me out too. Dr. Maras at HDC put 300 FUE grafts into it and it came out great! 

Again, we probably shouldn’t discuss this further here because it’s related to the verteporfin study (PM me if you want or comment on my thread) but hearing you’re putting your romantic life on hold over this (which I sympathize with) made me want to reach out and say there are some options that you haven’t tried that can work (not for everyone though, obviously, because scars are different than virgin skin, but it did wonders for me).

Edited by Parasol
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2022 at 8:28 PM, sr1486 said:

Hey Dr…. Any interest on trying Verteporfin on a keloid FUT scar? I got one that makes me keep my hair longer and use hair fibers over it. I had 6 sessions of smp into that did nothing (did not stick). It’s kind of got my romantic life on hold for a while 

Perhaps reach out to Dr. Bloxham, he has shown interest in testing Vert on FUT

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, MrFox said:

Perhaps reach out to Dr. Bloxham, he has shown interest in testing Vert on FUT

I should reach out to him, having an FUT surgeon test this out would be great.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

From the discord group it sounded like he already has a patient in mind but it is still figuring out all the variables involved. Definitely good to have more testing going on! 

Edited by MrFox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MrFox said:

From the discord group it sounded like he already has a patient in mind but it is still figuring out all the variables involved. Definitely good to have more testing going on! 

Has the discord group pointed him to the verteporfin org site Dr Barghouthi set up? 

Might be worth pointing him towards if not

6 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I’m already in contact with him and talking to him about it, but if you could reach out to other surgeons, such as Dr. Farjo, that would be great

• Administrators

Guys,

@DrTBarghouthi messaged me some time ago that he had a family emergency. I don't believe he will be updating this thread anytime soon. I have sent him a message a week ago, but lets keep him in our prayer and show him some appreciation and support in these difficult times.

• Like 11

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 4:08 PM, Fego said:

Any update? 

That is what I would like to know!

Best wishes to everyone and of course, especially to dr. Barghouthi regarding his circumstances. 

Is the current trial by the doctor finished or delayed / stopped due the situation? Are there other experiments taking place or in the pipeline that we know of? I will contact some clinics in my country (the Netherlands) to see if they are interested and able to kick the ball further in this regard. 

It would be great if we could get more data on the efficacy of verteporfin in humans, as well as to familiarize clinic with its' use, benefits and applications.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Square1 said:

That is what I would like to know!

Best wishes to everyone and of course, especially to dr. Barghouthi regarding his circumstances. 

Is the current trial by the doctor finished or delayed / stopped due the situation? Are there other experiments taking place or in the pipeline that we know of? I will contact some clinics in my country (the Netherlands) to see if they are interested and able to kick the ball further in this regard. 

It would be great if we could get more data on the efficacy of verteporfin in humans, as well as to familiarize clinic with its' use, benefits and applications.

Tag Dr barghouthi. 

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Fego said:

Tag Dr barghouthi. 

Or don't... Let's respect Dr B's pressing family circumstances and trust that he'll update when he's able to. Let's not pester the man unnecessarily.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Nexhat said:

The question is what will happen if they were to remove old scar tissue from a past FUE hair transplant and then use Verteporfin on that area meybe hair will grow back ?

Everything I have read and heard indicates that as long as the scar tissue is completely removed then the wound would heal the same as any other wound that was treated with Verteporfin. The lead researcher Dr. Longaker has been quoted as saying this multiple times. Obviously we need a test to verify it though. 

4 hours ago, MrFox said:

Everything I have read and heard indicates that as long as the scar tissue is completely removed then the wound would heal the same as any other wound that was treated with Verteporfin. The lead researcher Dr. Longaker has been quoted as saying this multiple times. Obviously we need a test to verify it though. 

so basically this combined with hairtransplant would be the cure..

5 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

so basically this combined with hairtransplant would be the cure..

We still don't know how much hair can be regenerated by Verteporfin, we still need a lot more testing. If it recovers follicles and skin fully, then yes I would say it is the cure. That being said I don't personally believe transplantation will be needed. As long as the patient stayed on dutasteride or finasteride (topical or oral) you could potentially injure the area being affected by balding inject vertporfin and have hair grow in the balding area rather than transplanting hair from another region. This could be a potential cure for several types of alopecia.  I also believe there would be a large need to heal existing scars from previous transplantation. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrFox said:

We still don't know how much hair can be regenerated by Verteporfin, we still need a lot more testing. If it recovers follicles and skin fully, then yes I would say it is the cure. That being said I don't personally believe transplantation will be needed. As long as the patient stayed on dutasteride or finasteride (topical or oral) you could potentially injure the area being affected by balding inject vertporfin and have hair grow in the balding area rather than transplanting hair from another region. This could be a potential cure for several types of alopecia.  I also believe there would be a large need to heal existing scars from previous transplantation. 

but for people who dont feel comfortable taking finasteride/dutasteride you would still need to transplant the dht resistant foliceles from the side and back of the head

2 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

but for people who dont feel comfortable taking finasteride/dutasteride you would still need to transplant the dht resistant foliceles from the side and back of the head

They're less sensitive to DHT, not necessarily DHT resistant. Even the hair in the horseshoe zone can eventually thin out.

On 1/15/2023 at 8:21 AM, mr_peanutbutter said:

I agree that this could be an option for those people who do not want to take the drug for whatever reason. I just reject the notion that this is the way the industry should be moving forward because clinics want to continue transplanting hair. It would be an extra step that is not needed for most patients. I continue to see this idea pushed forward, almost as if people assume that verteporfin would only work in the "safe donor zone" or where existing hair follicles are present. There is absolutely no evidence that it works that way, and why would it?! The only reason we started in the donor area, to begin with, was that that option provided the least risk to the patient. Scarring would be in an area that is easily disguised. 

• Like 1