Verteporfin HAIR REGENERATION HUMAN TRIAL Dr. Barghouthi *OFFICIAL THREAD

Melvin- Admin

1 minute ago, Carlos0 said:

Correct, Verteporfin will only work if it is injected after trauma. So, it’s (not going going to work) if you just simply inject it on a scar you already have or a 

I accidentally sent this. I am not sure how to delete or edit already submitted comments. 

Going back on topic. Just like Dr.Longaker and Dr.Barghouthi mentioned, Verteporfin won’t work after injecting it on top of a scar that you already have. You will need to remove it “surgically” and then apply verteporfin when the wound is fresh right after, to block the signals that triggers scarring. This way, normal skin structures and sebaceous gland and hair follicles can regrow. This is why all of this is still in testing.

From what Dr.Longaker mentioned, the reason humans scar in the first place is because it is faster to heal this way since regeneration is more complex and takes longer to complete. Think about scars as a natural sealant or band-aid that’s there to quickly close and protect your wound. C20A4D88-10A7-4331-B7D7-9313583DD3B5.thumb.jpeg.069498c3aa63de914439406b72e81bdb.jpegSo, what I think it happened is that this person got a burn right on his cheek, where normally beard would grow. He tried a hair transplant in order to conceal the scar as much as possible and I guess he didn’t like the results or didn’t heal properly so then he wanted to try “verteporfin” after hearing the potentials of this drug. 

Either way, I am still going to wait for more research to see what happens. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 10/16/2022 at 10:13 AM, Magic City said:

Couldn't agree more. Great write up document too. 

On 10/16/2022 at 11:52 AM, alopeciaphobia said:

Amazing writeup and also I think it's a fantastic idea to leverage this forum's close relations with practitioners worldwide to find more surgeons willing to experiment on a wide variety of parameters and hypotheses related to verteporfin. I hope @Melvin- Moderator can make something work.

One challenge I can foresee would be sourcing the verteporfin. Apparently there have been some major supply chain issues around the drug.

I heard from another user that there initially was a discord group attempting to source it. Perhaps that could be a valuable connection in setting up more experiments.

Actually spoke to Dr. Farjo yesterday. He’s gonna be meeting up with Dr. Barghouthi. It’s something he’s interested in trying.  I ask him at 52 minutes 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cj3kyATLBLe/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Like 6

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I literally had to make an account just to comment on this.

Absolutely amazing, this gives me hope as a 29 year old NW6-7 that have been living with SMP since 2015.

So essentially it's *working*, what is needed now is optimising dosage and delivery route?

What about transdermal application with DMSO, and/or even micro needling in addition?

3 hours ago, Carlos0 said:

Btw, just for reference. I would appreciate if anyone could explain how can I Edit my comments?

I am still somewhat learning how to use the comment section lol

Click on the 3 dots next to the member level and you will see the edit option come up. 

At this point I really think we can all contribute to this promising avenue by simply reaching out to our respective surgeons and spreading the word about Dr. Barghouti's fantastic effort and findings

I personally told Dr Couto and he seemed curious. We need to see many doctors trying this. Science takes time, so hopefully we will see a coordinated push. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, HairTrippin said:

It only works for new scars that have been just worked on correct? Wonder if they can somehow figure out how to use it for pre existing scars especially for fut scars, that would be amazing as well. 

No, It works for both cases. "But" your surgeon would have to excise the existing scar first and only then applying Verteporfin would do the job. Simply injecting a dosage of verteporfin on a scar (without) cutting it out from your skin first shouln't do a thing. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Carlos0 said:

No, It works for both cases. "But" your surgeon would have to excise the existing scar first and only then applying Verteporfin would do the job. Simply injecting a dosage of verteporfin on a scar (without) cutting it out from your skin first shouln't do a thing. 

So if we work on the existing FUT scar and apply Verteporfin it would let the skin heal and diminish the appearance of the scar? I wouldn’t expect to have hair grow through it because of it being a scar for there for years. Just trying to get some clarification, thank you for your response.

31 minutes ago, HairTrippin said:

So if we work on the existing FUT scar and apply Verteporfin it would let the skin heal and diminish the appearance of the scar? I wouldn’t expect to have hair grow through it because of it being a scar for there for years. Just trying to get some clarification, thank you for your response.

At present, this doesn't seem to be known/very well understood. The theory (and what has been happening in practice) is that verteporfin will block the usual scarring pathways when wounds are created which generate collagen rich, inelastic skin without sweat glands or hair follicles. In it's place, normal healthy skin seems to be regenerating.

What is yet to be seen and researched is whether excising an existing scar (e.g., an FUT scar or an FUE scar) and then injecting verteporfin will cause the wound to heal like normal skin including with sweat glands and hair follicles. It would be interesting to see if the body 'remembers' what was there originally from birth in the DNA and regenerates back the skin to that, with hair follicles, or if it just comes back as scar tissue as that was there before the excision took place for the verteporfin to be injected.

This is a priority area for research as there are many that have bodged donor areas, keloid scars they want to try and improve, or just over harvested donor areas in general.

Alternatively, some have suggested that one way of improving FUE/FUT scars could be to extract normal hairs grafts from elsewhere in the donor area, inject the excisions with verteporfin and implant these hairs into the scars. The scars will have more hair coverage, and the new FU extractions should regenerate with hair and more normal skin than scar tissue. 

1 hour ago, Magic City said:

At present, this doesn't seem to be known/very well understood. The theory (and what has been happening in practice) is that verteporfin will block the usual scarring pathways when wounds are created which generate collagen rich, inelastic skin without sweat glands or hair follicles. In it's place, normal healthy skin seems to be regenerating.

What is yet to be seen and researched is whether excising an existing scar (e.g., an FUT scar or an FUE scar) and then injecting verteporfin will cause the wound to heal like normal skin including with sweat glands and hair follicles. It would be interesting to see if the body 'remembers' what was there originally from birth in the DNA and regenerates back the skin to that, with hair follicles, or if it just comes back as scar tissue as that was there before the excision took place for the verteporfin to be injected.

This is a priority area for research as there are many that have bodged donor areas, keloid scars they want to try and improve, or just over harvested donor areas in general.

Alternatively, some have suggested that one way of improving FUE/FUT scars could be to extract normal hairs grafts from elsewhere in the donor area, inject the excisions with verteporfin and implant these hairs into the scars. The scars will have more hair coverage, and the new FU extractions should regenerate with hair and more normal skin than scar tissue. 

Wow that last paragraph says a lot. Makes sense though because implanting new grafts into the scar injures the scar and then applying Verteporfin into it would maybe help regenerate the skin. You are disguising the scar in two ways if it does really work which is amazing. With the combination of hair grafts, Verteporfin, and SMP you could really disguise FUT/FUE scars very well. 

2 minutes ago, HairTrippin said:

Wow that last paragraph says a lot. Makes sense though because implanting new grafts into the scar injures the scar and then applying Verteporfin into it would maybe help regenerate the skin. You are disguising the scar in two ways if it does really work which is amazing. With the combination of hair grafts, Verteporfin, and SMP you could really disguise FUT/FUE scars very well. 

I was thinking the same thing. For Norwood 7’s, who want get some texture and don’t want to go the SMP route alone, maybe a combination of Vert during extraction, SMP, and SMP later into the scars … I don’t know, seems like a pretty good solution for many who are ok wearing their hair short. Lots of possibilities. 

8 hours ago, Ganderson said:

I was thinking the same thing. For Norwood 7’s, who want get some texture and don’t want to go the SMP route alone, maybe a combination of Vert during extraction, SMP, and SMP later into the scars … I don’t know, seems like a pretty good solution for many who are ok wearing their hair short. Lots of possibilities. 

Yeah, imagine implanting grafts into the scar with Ver and then smp. I have FUT and I can get it to a 4 guard without it showing, but would like to get down to a 2 guard 

13 hours ago, HairTrippin said:

Yeah, imagine implanting grafts into the scar with Ver and then smp. I have FUT and I can get it to a 4 guard without it showing, but would like to get down to a 2 guard 

Mine has to be much longer and I still see a “line” where the hair falls over the scar. But my fut scar is a keloid. Sucks. I got like 6 sessions of SMP into but none of it stuck because the scar tissue is different than regular tissue 

2 minutes ago, sr1486 said:

Mine has to be much longer and I still see a “line” where the hair falls over the scar. But my fut scar is a keloid. Sucks. I got like 6 sessions of SMP into but none of it stuck because the scar tissue is different than regular tissue 

If it’s a keloid scar isn’t raised above the skin, which might make it harder for it to keep the ink. Have you tried microneedling the scar to improve it? I wonder if Ver could help with that. I’ve seen a lot of FUT scars that are flat get good results with smp, but idk how long the ink lasts on the scar. 

28 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

1. This is a verteporfin thread 

2. This is a mice study with no human results 

3. Assuming this works in humans, it is at least 5 years away. Verteporfin is here now 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Carlos0 said:

Wow, now if that's not progress I don't know what is. His burn mark was corrected plus hair grew back where it's been missing for over a year like the patient commented. 

Perhaps even further than Verteporforin Hair Transplants we can perfect Verteporforin Microneedling as well to regenerate lost follicles or weak follicles. 

• Like 1