Verteporfin HAIR REGENERATION HUMAN TRIAL Dr. Barghouthi *OFFICIAL THREAD

Melvin- Admin

7 hours ago, Giddy said:

You dont happend to be in touch with any clinic in EU that could use verteporfin or do surgery yourself with verteporfin in EU? If not im happy to travel to Jordan in the future too! And I am grateful for your efforts.

I haven’t yet but hopefully once we see promising results/ or adjust the protocol and dosage etc we can have a better working model. We don’t want this turning into another PRP like treatment where no definite guidelines exist if you know what I mean. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I think at this very early stage (as promising as it is) it would be a mistake to use verteporfin. Just the incredibly high expectations alone on the drug as this stage could be cause for regret. All the best.

Absolutely. It is not yet at this stage. Only if we reach a consistently good guideline. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• Administrators
On 8/28/2022 at 10:00 PM, DrTBarghouthi said:

I haven’t yet but hopefully once we see promising results/ or adjust the protocol and dosage etc we can have a better working model. We don’t want this turning into another PRP like treatment where no definite guidelines exist if you know what I mean. 

You’re doing something amazing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Verteporfin is fully FDA approved drug and is literally injected in eyes with no dangerous side effects. 

It doesn't really need that much more investigation to conclude verteporfin is better than no verteporfin with an almost 100% guarantee for any transplant procedure. Soon enough most HT doctors would come to this conclusion anyway.

Of course should follow good practices and follow up, but the comments about safety are overly exaggerated for a drug that is already proven safe by very meticulous trials and has been used for over 25 years now.

This is no random molecule rat-trial situation at all.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

Verteporfin is fully FDA approved drug and is literally injected in eyes with no dangerous side effects. 

It doesn't really need that much more investigation to conclude verteporfin is better than no verteporfin with an almost 100% guarantee for any transplant procedure. Soon enough most HT doctors would come to this conclusion anyway.

Of course should follow good practices and follow up, but the comments about safety are overly exaggerated for a drug that is already proven safe by very meticulous trials and has been used for over 25 years now.

This is no random molecule rat-trial situation at all.

I agree. However, off-label use is always better to be approached with caution, and not everyone would be happy to get injected with a drug that was not approved for that purpose. For example, minoxidil tablets have never been approved for hairloss- but the drug has been present in oral and topical preparation for longer than Verteporfin- yet only in recent years the uptake increased. Same applies for Finasteride in post menopausal females- a drug present for many years for male loss and enlarged prostate- and yet females are still hesitant in taking a “hormone” reducing medication that is off-label. 

• Like 3

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Hey Dr Barghouthi, just want to say that it is very refreshing and encouraging to see a doctor willing to take the bold step of trying this in actual patients. Thank you. The initial results are looking promising. 

In terms of follow ups with the patients and updates, I think I remember in your chat with Melvin that the patients would be followed up post surgery for 6 months and possibly longer if you can. Is the next follow up and update at 90 days with the first patient? 

Thanks again for your efforts and looking forward to see how this develops! 

• Like 4

On 9/1/2022 at 4:11 PM, Magic City said:

Hey Dr Barghouthi, just want to say that it is very refreshing and encouraging to see a doctor willing to take the bold step of trying this in actual patients. Thank you. The initial results are looking promising. 

In terms of follow ups with the patients and updates, I think I remember in your chat with Melvin that the patients would be followed up post surgery for 6 months and possibly longer if you can. Is the next follow up and update at 90 days with the first patient? 

Yeah I feel like the next post from the Dr will be the most telling after the last post being on the verge of being proof that it'll all work, with it looking like new hairs looking like they're coming right from the extraction site. 

Just want wait to see it. So thankful the Dr Barghouthi is doing this and sharing so much. Just great to see 

Edited by SkyeBelcher
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 5:11 PM, Magic City said:

Thank you very much. The next follow up is in less than a week actually. I’m currently doing a follow up every 4 weeks with this patient, but this is only for the purposes of the study. Once we have a working protocol or we get implemented as part of surgery, then I think less frequent follow ups will be the standard. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

@DrTBarghouthi This is amazing that youre conducting these tests.  I really pray and am hopeful that this will regrow hair in the donor. I have been following all the updates in this thread and look Forward to seeing the results over time.  I have some donor depletion from Fue and would feel like my life is saved if i can regrow the lost hair in the patches that im missing. I was going to do body hair but im not sure id be satisfied with the result of that.  I was readying that there is a possibility of regrowing hair in fresh wounds, my trasplant is a year old at this point but im hoping that old scars can be healed and new hair can be formed. Im really praying on this and its gives me hope to see youre doing this!!

• Like 3

On 8/27/2022 at 12:30 AM, DrTBarghouthi said:

Thanks. Yes we shave to the same length before each follow up. Will include zoomed out photos next follow up which is somewhere in mid September . 
I do have 2 patients lined up. I am hoping to be able to fit one of them in some of the upcoming weekends by next week or early September. 

Doctor - could you please share the zoomed out photos as well with your next release? Thank you! 

Just now, Ganderson said:

When were they posted ??? Can you share the link to them? 

They're available on the latest update from follicle thought. 

Pictures look great. Hopefully the Dr has been able to progress with the full FUE he mentioned previously. 

9 minutes ago, SkyeBelcher said:

They're available on the latest update from follicle thought. 

Pictures look great. Hopefully the Dr has been able to progress with the full FUE he mentioned previously. 

Ok wow… I didn’t really believe it at first but I’m really starting to… 

this may be a dumb question but.. if there’s a hair growing out of it… then it must mean that no white scar is forming ..? 

Just now, Ganderson said:

Ok wow… I didn’t really believe it at first but I’m really starting to… 

this may be a dumb question but.. if there’s a hair growing out of it… then it must mean that no white scar is forming ..? 

That is the dream. Though everything depends on the Drs opinion. Hopefully he will update here when he has the time. 

The new pics confused me. Like on the .24 one (first new one), The “after” trial one just looks like a zoomed in version of the “before”. 

same with the .32 before and after. The after Looks like the before just zoomed in

1 minute ago, sr1486 said:

The new pics confused me. Like on the .24 one (first new one), The “after” trial one just looks like a zoomed in version of the “before”. 

same with the .32 before and after. The after Looks like the before just zoomed in

That's because they aren't before and afters. They are just the result and then the results zoomed in 

• Like 1

Hi guys. Here are the updated photos. As you can see, there is scarring in both control and test areas. The test area is a bit more pigmented and I think that the scarring is slightly better. Maybe it needs more time or a dose adjustment. Nonetheless, the tiny hairs in the test areas across the 3 dosages is becoming more of an obvious feature in comparison to control areas. 

AC259DB8-49BC-4742-B470-DD73A4020EAD.thumb.jpeg.b44a55e1f37f00b142f5e7697213cb75.jpeg

9EEB3646-08B5-416C-B4EC-1ADB6EC506CF.thumb.jpeg.9e39ea5458d3b00e2b56960cfda50cb9.jpeg

1FB26279-9D71-4E48-9077-2A5B4E5B6045.thumb.jpeg.9c1d91275edb0a2dfa5269272e4cb9a3.jpeg

• Like 9

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

1 hour ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Hi guys. Here are the updated photos. As you can see, there is scarring in both control and test areas. The test area is a bit more pigmented and I think that the scarring is slightly better. Maybe it needs more time or a dose adjustment. Nonetheless, the tiny hairs in the test areas across the 3 dosages is becoming more of an obvious feature in comparison to control areas. 

AC259DB8-49BC-4742-B470-DD73A4020EAD.thumb.jpeg.b44a55e1f37f00b142f5e7697213cb75.jpeg

9EEB3646-08B5-416C-B4EC-1ADB6EC506CF.thumb.jpeg.9e39ea5458d3b00e2b56960cfda50cb9.jpeg

1FB26279-9D71-4E48-9077-2A5B4E5B6045.thumb.jpeg.9c1d91275edb0a2dfa5269272e4cb9a3.jpeg

Definetly a chance it needs more time. In the presentation of pig study with verteporfin they found that the elasticity increased from week 12 till week 16, when they ended the study. So they believe regenerative remodeling started from week 12. 

Also the FAKI study from 2022 stated that there was an early anti inflammatory effekt and a late regenerative effekt. So the verteporfin wounds could have potential to remodel still. And if the hairs are really regenerated then most likely the skin should be regenerating too.

Sources:

https://surgery.stanford.edu/content/dam/sm/surgery/documents/HolmanLectureBooklet_2022 FINAL.pdf

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/scitranslmed.abj9152

0D8E5CFC-B4C2-4C78-8E72-3279B64ACED3.jpeg

Edited by Giddy
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Thanks again for doing this experiment and sharing the pictures :)

The earlier update also had 1 or more hairs growing in the test area, but it believe that it wasn't completely certain that this was due to the effect of verteporfin as it could have been a follicle in the telogen phase or something similar.

With these amounts of growth in the test area and the lack of growth in the control area, would we be able to confirm that verteporfin at least has some regenerative effect? Or are there theoretically other explanations for this other than verteporfin?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

I see a little bit of scarring in the test area for the .24 dose but I am having a hard time seeing the scarring in the higher doses. I agree more time is likely to produce more skin remodeling if it is anything like the porcine model. The presence of new hair follicles means the skin is definetley reacting differently at this point. 

• Administrators

There appears to be more tiny hairs growing. The fact that there are no telogen hairs growing the control section makes me believe that there is a clear difference here, and that some regrowth has occurred. Keep in mind, the hairs look very thin and weak, so it is still early, but definitely encouraging.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.