Verteporfin HAIR REGENERATION HUMAN TRIAL Dr. Barghouthi *OFFICIAL THREAD

Melvin- Admin

Hace 5 horas, DrTBarghouthi dijo:

Esperamos que sea muy prometedor. Estoy de acuerdo en que todavía es pronto para sacar conclusiones. En cuanto a las transecciones, se revisaron los injertos extraídos para descartarlo. Todavía podría ser un cabello telógeno, por supuesto, en el momento de la extracción. En todos los casos, seguimos haciendo un seguimiento y, con suerte, las próximas semanas darán una mejor indicación. 
Tengo otro caso programado para finales de este mes/principios de septiembre, aunque es un trasplante completo. Estoy buscando la dosis exacta para dar en ese caso. 

Doctor buenas tardes antes que nada muchas gracias por su dedicación y tiempo con el estudio, mi pregunta es como ha funcionado el vert con las cicatrices, realmente las elimina? Pregunto porque tengo varias cicatrices de acne y me gustaria quitarlas con vert, gracias por tu respuesta.

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Very promising we hope. I agree it is still early to make any conclusions. As for transections, the extracted grafts were checked for that to outrule it. Could still be a telogen hair ofcourse at time of extraction. In all cases, we keep following up and the coming weeks will hopefully give a better indication. 
I have another case lined up end of this month/ early September it is a full transplant though. I am looking at exact dosage to give in that case. 

Wouldn’t telogen hairs be visible under a microscope if extracted? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

I have another case lined up end of this month/ early September it is a full transplant though. I am looking at exact dosage to give in that case. 

Amazing! The more case studies the better! Will said patient also have a control and test area?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Wouldn’t telogen hairs be visible under a microscope if extracted? 

Yes but I meant it could be a telogen hair that wasn’t extracted and then started growing at time of follow up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

54 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Sí, pero quise decir que podría ser un cabello telógeno que no se extrajo y luego comenzó a crecer en el momento del seguimiento. 

Good afternoon doctor, it's a shame to insist on the question, but the truth is that you are the one conducting the study, my question is if verteporfin does not leave scars by applying it to a wound according to the studies you are conducting? Thank you.

11 hours ago, DIEGO MAURICIO DEL CASTILL said:

Good afternoon doctor, it's a shame to insist on the question, but the truth is that you are the one conducting the study, my question is if verteporfin does not leave scars by applying it to a wound according to the studies you are conducting? Thank you.

It is still difficult to say how better scarring will be with Verteporfin. The studies on animals showed better skin regeneration and currently on our trial patient, there is a difference in the rate of healing and differences in skin structure in the test punches. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

39 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

It is still difficult to say how better scarring will be with Verteporfin. The studies on animals showed better skin regeneration and currently on our trial patient, there is a difference in the rate of healing and differences in skin structure in the test punches. 

Sorry doctor, just to clarify your answer here - you said “the studies on animals shower better skin regeneration” - do you mean better than without vertoporfin? Or better than human results? 

2 hours ago, Ganderson said:

Sorry doctor, just to clarify your answer here - you said “the studies on animals shower better skin regeneration” - do you mean better than without vertoporfin? Or better than human results? 

Better than controls (no verteporfin)

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

20 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Better than controls (no verteporfin)

Thank you Dr! 

Extremely appreciative for all your communication.

* has the patient been shaving his head consistently since the procedure was completed? 

* could you tell us the schedule for upcoming updates? Would it be possible to include a picture a little further away from his scalp, (assuming his hair is shaved), so that we could perceive what the results look like from a distance in addition to seeing the close up pictures? May be a helpful comparison to see typical FUE scarring (several months out) with the naked eye in addition to the pictures utilizing your equipment 

* any additional patients or volunteers?

38 minutes ago, Ganderson said:

Thank you Dr! 

Extremely appreciative for all your communication.

* has the patient been shaving his head consistently since the procedure was completed? 

* could you tell us the schedule for upcoming updates? Would it be possible to include a picture a little further away from his scalp, (assuming his hair is shaved), so that we could perceive what the results look like from a distance in addition to seeing the close up pictures? May be a helpful comparison to see typical FUE scarring (several months out) with the naked eye in addition to the pictures utilizing your equipment 

* any additional patients or volunteers?

Thanks. Yes we shave to the same length before each follow up. Will include zoomed out photos next follow up which is somewhere in mid September . 
I do have 2 patients lined up. I am hoping to be able to fit one of them in some of the upcoming weekends by next week or early September. 

• Like 4

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Just a question for Dr Barghouthi, if he gets a chance to see this.

If the results are promising in the trials you're currently doing would you be open to trying to see other ways Verteporfin could treat patients beyond the standard transplant approach?

For example maybe the re-punching of old extractions to improve doner area.

Or maybe extraction of miniaturized follicles on the top of the scalp to see how they grow back? 

Thanks for your time,

Skye 

2 minutes ago, SkyeBelcher said:

Just a question for Dr Barghouthi, if he gets a chance to see this.

If the results are promising in the trials you're currently doing would you be open to trying to see other ways Verteporfin could treat patients beyond the standard transplant approach?

For example maybe the re-punching of old extractions to improve doner area.

Or maybe extraction of miniaturized follicles on the top of the scalp to see how they grow back? 

Thanks for your time,

Skye 

I agree it would be extremely worthwhile to test extracting a few miniaturized follicles and inject the sites with verteporfin. Even if it's just say 10-20 FUs or so, just as a proof of concept. And if that would show any results, one could try a larger operation.

Absolutely. There are many ways to test Verteporfin given the basic mechanism of how it works and all these suggestions are  valid. However, our limitations are currently finding volunteers, booking slots for them and potentially having a supply of Verteporfin as it is not always easy to supply etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Really hope this will work on an old FUT scar (if removed first). Not necessarily regrowing the hair, but just to remove the scar so I can either implant hairs into it or get SMP

Mine is raised and thick (probably a keloid), and SMP didn’t stick at all on it. I have to keep my hair longer and pour hair fibers over it to cover it up. It’s having a negative impact on my life

20 hours ago, sr1486 said:

Really hope this will work on an old FUT scar (if removed first). Not necessarily regrowing the hair, but just to remove the scar so I can either implant hairs into it or get SMP

Mine is raised and thick (probably a keloid), and SMP didn’t stick at all on it. I have to keep my hair longer and pour hair fibers over it to cover it up. It’s having a negative impact on my life

That is a really interesting thought. I only thought of verteporfin in the case of FUE, but it might also be worth it to do a FUT repair procedure where the original scar is cut out and sutured back up with verteporfin injected.

Alternatively, a different, non-experimental option worth exploring is to get another small FUT from a surgeon who is highly experienced in doing trichophytic closures to improve the appearance of the scar.

Edited by alopeciaphobia
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alopeciaphobia said:

That is a really interesting thought. I only thought of verteporfin in the case of FUE, but it might also be worth it to do a FUT repair procedure where the original scar is cut out and sutured back up with verteporfin injected.

Alternatively, a different, non-experimental option worth exploring is to get another small FUT from a surgeon who is highly experienced in doing trichophytic closures to improve the appearance of the scar.

My surgeon did do trichophytic closure :(     

8 hours ago, Damen1986 said:

@DrTBarghouthi If Verteporfin proves successful for at least improved wound healing, on what time scale do you think you could realistically offer this as an adjunct treatment for hair transplants at your clinic?

It wouldn’t be long. If it’s proving to be beneficial in either wound appearance and/or some degree of hair improvement or regrowth, then I don’t see any reason not to offer it as part of the procedure. It would be similar to practices that add PRP or use specific post op dressings etc. It will be something that we just incorporate into the procedure for those who want- despite it being off-label.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

8 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

It wouldn’t be long. If it’s proving to be beneficial in either wound appearance and/or some degree of hair improvement or regrowth, then I don’t see any reason not to offer it as part of the procedure. It would be similar to practices that add PRP or use specific post op dressings etc. It will be something that we just incorporate into the procedure for those who want- despite it being off-label.

@DrTBarghouthi Thank you for your quick response. I will be in touch for a consultation.

On 8/27/2022 at 4:54 PM, sr1486 said:

Can't you just implant hairs on it? It is something really common.

1 hour ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

That's amazing! If it really does end up being effective, unless European clinics quickly follow suit, I very well might book a trip to Jordan!

2 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

You dont happend to be in touch with any clinic in EU that could use verteporfin or do surgery yourself with verteporfin in EU? If not im happy to travel to Jordan in the future too! And I am grateful for your efforts.

Edited by Giddy

• Valued Contributor
4 hours ago, Giddy said:

You dont happend to be in touch with any clinic in EU that could use verteporfin or do surgery yourself with verteporfin in EU? If not im happy to travel to Jordan in the future too! And I am grateful for your efforts.

I think at this very early stage (as promising as it is) it would be a mistake to use verteporfin. Just the incredibly high expectations alone on the drug as this stage could be cause for regret. All the best.

• Like 1