Verteporfin HAIR REGENERATION HUMAN TRIAL Dr. Barghouthi *OFFICIAL THREAD

Melvin- Admin

I just sent an email to "my" clinic and will likewise to other clinics in the area. It would surprise me if none of them would be interested. Trying something new is always scary and safety concerns may arise (Yes, verteporfin is FDA-approved, but for a different usage. Don't know how that will factor in the equation), but the efficacy results so far are more than promising. A regrowth of 30% (which is what dr. Barghouthi guessed) for a first try is insane. If the hairs grow normally, don't fall out after some months and the process is repeatable, this is effectively a cure for baldness. 

Other fora, like hairlosstalk, are on the whole not that excited by this experiment. I really wonder why. If I am missing something, let me know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Square1 said:

I just sent an email to "my" clinic and will likewise to other clinics in the area. It would surprise me if none of them would be interested. Trying something new is always scary and safety concerns may arise (Yes, verteporfin is FDA-approved, but for a different usage. Don't know how that will factor in the equation), but the efficacy results so far are more than promising. A regrowth of 30% (which is what dr. Barghouthi guessed) for a first try is insane. If the hairs grow normally, don't fall out after some months and the process is repeatable, this is effectively a cure for baldness. 

Other fora, like hairlosstalk, are on the whole not that excited by this experiment. I really wonder why. If I am missing something, let me know.

I wouldn't pay mind to most forums. Most people won't believe anything will help hairloss, unless it turns a NW7 into a NW0 in a single day, and came out 10 years out. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 9:51 PM, MrFox said:

I just reject the notion that this is the way the industry should be moving forward because clinics want to continue transplanting hair. It would be an extra step that is not needed for most patients.

I strongly disagree. Donor availability is often the only limiting factor in hair transplants, and any method to get significantly more use out of it would be a breakthrough.

Even for guys that arent NW5+, donor regrowth would allow them to either have more grafts left over to offset future hair loss or to do their transplant at higher density. Imagine being able to have 4000 usable grafts left over after surgery instead of 2000. Or being able to go up to 70 FUs/cm2 instead of 45. Both of those are huge. Even for a NW3.

And then we're not even talking about scarring. People often want a fade haircut nowadays and less scarring could make that look so much better.

Verteporfin, if it really works, would be a breakthrough for the industry and its patients. Whether they are a NW3 or a NW7. If it becomes available and affordable, anyone not opting to conserve their precious limited resource of donor grafts, would be a fool.

Edited by alopeciaphobia
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, alopeciaphobia said:

I strongly disagree. Donor availability is often the only limiting factor in hair transplants, and any method to get significantly more use out of it would be a breakthrough.

Even for guys that arent NW5+, donor regrowth would allow them to either have more grafts left over to offset future hair loss or to do their transplant at higher density. Imagine being able to have 4000 usable grafts left over after surgery instead of 2000. Or being able to go up to 70 FUs/cm2 instead of 45. Both of those are huge. Even for a NW3.

And then we're not even talking about scarring. People often want a fade haircut nowadays and less scarring could make that look so much better.

Verteporfin, if it really works, would be a breakthrough for the industry and its patients. Whether they are a NW3 or a NW7. If it becomes available and affordable, anyone not opting to conserve their precious limited resource of donor grafts, would be a fool.

Again I would ask why do you need to transplant the hair? Just injure the balding area and use Verteporfin in the same way you would in the donor zone. If it grows hair in the donor zone it will grow hair in the balding zone. There is NO evidence the drug differentiates between balding and non-balding regions. I think there is an assumption that there needs to be existing non-miniaturized follicles beforehand, but there is no evidence for this. It is already strongly recommended that people who receive a transplant stay on finasteride/dutasteride, so I really don't see why we are adding an unnecessary step, unless the patient is unable to use the medication for whatever reason. No offense to any surgeon on here, but even they would concede that they are not able to reproduce 100% what is found naturally. They are limited with what they have to work with. With transplantation, you would still be using grafts that are larger than normally found in the hairline, as well as problems with color, density, etc.  Perhaps if there is still some scarring left over then this would not be ideal approach, but yet again we have only tried one test on one patient. I would be shocked if we nailed the absolute best results possible on the first test. It could be feasible that treatments would consist of some sort of injury device (i.e. modified micro-needling) along with the application of Verteporfin. Not to mention that transplantation is not recommended for certain types of alopecia. For example retrograde alopecia is not typically treated through transplantation, but could possibly be treated through a protocol as described above. 

Edited by MrFox

2 hours ago, MrFox said:

Again I would ask why do you need to transplant the hair? Just injure the balding area and use Verteporfin in the same way you would in the donor zone. If it grows hair in the donor zone it will grow hair in the balding zone. There is NO evidence the drug differentiates between balding and non-balding regions. I think there is an assumption that there needs to be existing non-miniaturized follicles beforehand, but there is no evidence for this. It is already strongly recommended that people who receive a transplant stay on finasteride/dutasteride, so I really don't see why we are adding an unnecessary step, unless the patient is unable to use the medication for whatever reason. No offense to any surgeon on here, but even they would concede that they are not able to reproduce 100% what is found naturally. They are limited with what they have to work with. With transplantation, you would still be using grafts that are larger than normally found in the hairline, as well as problems with color, density, etc. Perhaps if there is still some scarring left over then this would not be ideal approach, but yet again we have only tried one test on one patient. I would be shocked if we nailed the absolute best results possible on the first test. It could be feasible that treatments would consist of some sort of injury device (i.e. modified micro-needling) along with the application of Verteporfin. That would mean much less time in the chair and recovery period for the patient. 

I totally agree that verteporfin+wounding should be experimented with in balding areas. It might very well work, but it's still purely theoretical at this point whereas we have a tiny bit of proof from this case study that it will work to some extent with hair transplants. Lets not understate how promising that is, especially now Dr. Barghouthi is on hiatus we have to excite and include other surgeons to keep it moving forward.

5 hours ago, MrFox said:

Again I would ask why do you need to transplant the hair? Just injure the balding area and use Verteporfin in the same way you would in the donor zone. If it grows hair in the donor zone it will grow hair in the balding zone. There is NO evidence the drug differentiates between balding and non-balding regions. I think there is an assumption that there needs to be existing non-miniaturized follicles beforehand, but there is no evidence for this. It is already strongly recommended that people who receive a transplant stay on finasteride/dutasteride, so I really don't see why we are adding an unnecessary step, unless the patient is unable to use the medication for whatever reason. No offense to any surgeon on here, but even they would concede that they are not able to reproduce 100% what is found naturally. They are limited with what they have to work with. With transplantation, you would still be using grafts that are larger than normally found in the hairline, as well as problems with color, density, etc.  Perhaps if there is still some scarring left over then this would not be ideal approach, but yet again we have only tried one test on one patient. I would be shocked if we nailed the absolute best results possible on the first test. It could be feasible that treatments would consist of some sort of injury device (i.e. modified micro-needling) along with the application of Verteporfin. Not to mention that transplantation is not recommended for certain types of alopecia. For example retrograde alopecia is not typically treated through transplantation, but could possibly be treated through a protocol as described above. 

the hair would be sensitive to dht again

you dont know how often you could repeat this

4 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

the hair would be sensitive to dht again

you dont know how often you could repeat this

Yeah neither do you, you're making an assumption that it can only be repeated so many times! Yes of course the hair is DHT sensitive again, hence the drugs which we know stop hair loss for the vast majority of people with male patterned baldness. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think this thread has long diverged from its original point. I share your enthusiasm and theoretical questions guys, but this thread was originally launched to keep us updated with the experiment Dr Barghouthi is doing. And since  Dr Barghouthi is not available for the moment due to personal issues, I think the best thing we can do is to wait for future updates. We're going over and over through the same points which i'm sure brings anxiety to other members of this forum that occasionally check this thread for updates from Dr Barghouthi. We still don't even know if verteporfin even works in terms of regrowing hair in the donor area after being harvested and u guys are talking about wounding the dht sensitive area and other hypothetical ideas that's well beyond the current progress of the experiment. 

Again, I appreciate the enthusiasm and I am optimistic about this one, but I'm suggesting that maybe a separate thread should be created for this conversation and leave this thread exclusively for updates from Dr Barghouthi.

• Well Done 1

Dr. B was planning on wounding the DHT sensitive area on his next test so it's not irrelevant, but sure if we want to make another thread then that's fine with me. 

On 2/4/2023 at 7:06 AM, doxiloo said:

I think this thread has long diverged from its original point. I share your enthusiasm and theoretical questions guys, but this thread was originally launched to keep us updated with the experiment Dr Barghouthi is doing. And since  Dr Barghouthi is not available for the moment due to personal issues, I think the best thing we can do is to wait for future updates. We're going over and over through the same points which i'm sure brings anxiety to other members of this forum that occasionally check this thread for updates from Dr Barghouthi. We still don't even know if verteporfin even works in terms of regrowing hair in the donor area after being harvested and u guys are talking about wounding the dht sensitive area and other hypothetical ideas that's well beyond the current progress of the experiment. 

Again, I appreciate the enthusiasm and I am optimistic about this one, but I'm suggesting that maybe a separate thread should be created for this conversation and leave this thread exclusively for updates from Dr Barghouthi.

Tbh I dont see why Dr B would proceed with vert trials even after he is back to medical practice . He tried financing the trials through a designated website and almost no one donated (now 15k is peanuts in the medical world but does it really take 15k to do some trials!). Anyway  From a financial POV what’s in it for him if Vert proved working (either to heal wounds or generate new HF) he wont have any exclusive right to the treatment and it doesn’t ensure people will travel from all around the world to Jordan to do HT at his clinic bcz they can then convince any dr to do it ,which means all his efforts (figuring out a protocol, sourcing vert and tools, finding volunteers, disruption to his normal medical activities, providing feedback to such forums, answering inquiries to his clinic email from people in this site and others,…) will be just a waste of time and effort and don’t tell me the dude is doing it for the good of mankind. He needs, and it’s his right, to benefit from the trials somehow. I think he got alot of publicity in the hair-loss community but if it doesn’t translate into money I wouldn’t be interested to continue the trials. Unless he figures out a protocol and doesn’t share it so he can be the sole provider of that protocol. Anyway just a rant bcz I see many people hoping and waiting for his comeback and updates. I’d say move on or wait for the release of longaker/stanford human trials which will probably take a couple of years. Ps. Im one of those who cant wait for vert to work but fed up with the waiting 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gatchpt said:

Tbh I dont see why Dr B would proceed with vert trials even after he is back to medical practice . He tried financing the trials through a designated website and almost no one donated (now 15k is peanuts in the medical world but does it really take 15k to do some trials!). Anyway  From a financial POV what’s in it for him if Vert proved working (either to heal wounds or generate new HF) he wont have any exclusive right to the treatment and it doesn’t ensure people will travel from all around the world to Jordan to do HT at his clinic bcz they can then convince any dr to do it ,which means all his efforts (figuring out a protocol, sourcing vert and tools, finding volunteers, disruption to his normal medical activities, providing feedback to such forums, answering inquiries to his clinic email from people in this site and others,…) will be just a waste of time and effort and don’t tell me the dude is doing it for the good of mankind. He needs, and it’s his right, to benefit from the trials somehow. I think he got alot of publicity in the hair-loss community but if it doesn’t translate into money I wouldn’t be interested to continue the trials. Unless he figures out a protocol and doesn’t share it so he can be the sole provider of that protocol. Anyway just a rant bcz I see many people hoping and waiting for his comeback and updates. I’d say move on or wait for the release of longaker/stanford human trials which will probably take a couple of years. Ps. Im one of those who cant wait for vert to work but fed up with the waiting 

Happens all the time in the hairloss community. People will whine all day and night, begging for someone to do something. 

Then when something promising comes along and tries to crowdfund nobody does it. 

Same thing happened with Hairclone and set them back years 

1 hour ago, Gatchpt said:

if a surgeons offers hairtransplant without or very reducing scaring many people will go to him. especially for people like bloxham and other fut surgeons that would be very interesting.

On 2/10/2023 at 7:07 PM, Gatchpt said:

Do you think Messi would want to win the World Cup even if he would get no money for it?

Finding a workable cure for an age-old problem such as baldness would be such an honor that I think many would want to be a part of it even if it does not come with monetary benefits. Having said that, if vert proves to be a great addition to hair transplant surgeries the doc would gain such a boost in name recognition and status that it would almost certainly result in more business / demand for his services.

On 2/10/2023 at 7:21 PM, SkyeBelcher said:

Happens all the time in the hairloss community. People will whine all day and night, begging for someone to do something. 

Then when something promising comes along and tries to crowdfund nobody does it. 

Same thing happened with Hairclone and set them back years 

What is the exact plan? What will happen, who will do it, with how many patients? How much money is needed and where is it needed for. Is it for buying verteporfin or are there more costs? When will this new trial take place?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs-down 1

30 minutes ago, Square1 said:

Do you think Messi would want to win the World Cup even if he would get no money for it?

Finding a workable cure for an age-old problem such as baldness would be such an honor that I think many would want to be a part of it even if it does not come with monetary benefits. Having said that, if vert proves to be a great addition to hair transplant surgeries the doc would gain such a boost in name recognition and status that it would almost certainly result in more business / demand for his services.

the analogy is not that correct! Messi in this case is Longaker/stanford if Vert works he/they will be given the credit bcz they were actually the ones conducting proper scientific research. Dr B will be Pablo Dybala who got a gold medal but only touched the ball once. Everyone will remember/credit messi but not dybala. On the financial return side of things if Vert works all them turkey HT clinics will start advertising it and using it for HT for a fraction of the cost Dr b will be able to offer (Turkish lira vs Jordanian Dinar plus HT industry is subsidized by the gov in Turkey -health tourism). Lsn end of the day I hope he comes back and continue what he started and if it works I’ll build him a statue in my backyard, the dude can become richer than Elon Musk as far as I care. It’s the frustration talking man, no hate. 

1 hour ago, Gatchpt said:

the analogy is not that correct! Messi in this case is Longaker/stanford if Vert works he/they will be given the credit bcz they were actually the ones conducting proper scientific research. Dr B will be Pablo Dybala who got a gold medal but only touched the ball once. Everyone will remember/credit messi but not dybala. On the financial return side of things if Vert works all them turkey HT clinics will start advertising it and using it for HT for a fraction of the cost Dr b will be able to offer (Turkish lira vs Jordanian Dinar plus HT industry is subsidized by the gov in Turkey -health tourism). Lsn end of the day I hope he comes back and continue what he started and if it works I’ll build him a statue in my backyard, the dude can become richer than Elon Musk as far as I care. It’s the frustration talking man, no hate. 

Just to demonstrate that there is more than money. Especially if you have a little bit of cash, other things are important too.

I didn't know there was a fundraise going on. Where can I find detailed plans of where the money will be used for? If interesting and credible, I might throw a buck too.

Hi guys. I apologize for being out of the loop for the last while, but I had to cut down on my clinical duties temporarily and thankfully I’m back at it this month full time. I will be scheduling a biopsy of our patient and testing a full FUE case using adjusted doses that we worked out. Still some interest from some colleagues especially for FUT- so hopefully more on that soon. We are still dedicated to this research and in fact we have some interest from various funding entities that may be willing to further advance this and other projects. Will keep you updated. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

2 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Hi guys. I apologize for being out of the loop for the last while, but I had to cut down on my clinical duties temporarily and thankfully I’m back at it this month full time. I will be scheduling a biopsy of our patient and testing a full FUE case using adjusted doses that we worked out. Still some interest from some colleagues especially for FUT- so hopefully more on that soon. We are still dedicated to this research and in fact we have some interest from various funding entities that may be willing to further advance this and other projects. Will keep you updated. 

So happy to hear you're back at it Dr. Barghouthi! We you for your courageous and pioneering approach, and we hope you and your family are well.

Very glad to hear this promising treatment isn't bring forgotten about, but instead getting more traction in the medical/research community.

I for one am very excited about the full FUE patient with updated methodology! Are you planning on performing any standardized quantitative measurement of hair density in the donor area?

Thanks again, Dr. Barghouthi!

Edited by alopeciaphobia

2 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

thanks for doing this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Thank you so much Dr Barghouthi for your effort - I'm so glad and relieved to hear from you again, and hope that you and your family are doing well. As someone suffering from scarring alopecia (lichen planopilaris), do you think it could be possible to achieve regrowth in scarred bald patches by performing e.g. FUE punches accompanied by Verteporfin injections in these areas, without actually transferring hair follicles from the donor area?

7 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

We’re glad to have you back :)