Dr Mwamba June 2022 - Asli Tarcan botch job repair

RTC

On 6/14/2023 at 3:56 AM, Turkhair said:

Thick coarse hair as opposed to vellus hair

I guess he means your hairs aren’t miniaturised and terminal healthy hairs 

Yes, that’s exactly correct, thanks Turkhair…terminal hair is thought to be DHT resistant.

On 6/14/2023 at 3:56 AM, Turkhair said:

Thick coarse hair as opposed to vellus hair

I guess he means your hairs aren’t miniaturised and terminal healthy hairs 

Yes, that’s exactly correct, thanks Turkhair…terminal hair is thought to be DHT resistant.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

3 hours ago, RTC said:

Very misleading, and the left side of my hairline especially has hairs that stick directly up and show just how thin and pathetic the hairline is.

In reality i should have those hairs extracted, re-implanted, and then do another surgery to reconstruct a new hairline.

But staying on one year waiting lists for consultations, having an interim NW3 hairline for months, and doing multiple hair transplants is just unfeasible and a horrible prospect. I am neither rich nor patient enough to wait years to fix this.

Can you laser remove those hairs (save you money and time) and then have a top surgeon build you a new hairline? 

You could also look at SMP for the donor area.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrmane85 said:

Can you laser remove those hairs (save you money and time) and then have a top surgeon build you a new hairline? 

You could also look at SMP for the donor area.

Main thing with me is that I need as many grafts as I can get. So I have to recycle those grafts that are pointing up at 90 degrees. Plus, how long after laser can new grafts be planted?

I'm going to get approx 200 beard grafts planted in my donor. May look at SMP later, but what's the point of something that fades every few years

• Like 1

There are some ink that will last more than several years.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

16 hours ago, RTC said:

Main thing with me is that I need as many grafts as I can get. So I have to recycle those grafts that are pointing up at 90 degrees. Plus, how long after laser can new grafts be planted?

I'm going to get approx 200 beard grafts planted in my donor. May look at SMP later, but what's the point of something that fades every few years

Yeah I get what you mean about using every graft that's available. It's a catch 22 because as you said a lot of docs won't want to operate plus it's very expensive because you need to do a few surgeries.

Actually, have you ever reached out to Hattingen clinic? I spoke with them a while ago and they seemed pretty open to removing incorrectly angled grafts and repositioning, as I also need this done. 

I actually ended up going with Dr Pinto and my surgery is next year but it would be worth having a consultation with Hattingen clinic. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 1:43 AM, RTC said:

Out of curiosity, who are you going to go to for the beard grafts into donor? back to Mwamba?

• 2 weeks later...

Dude in my opinion I know you want to fix your hair, but it looks ok as of right now, to the casual observer it looks pretty normal. 

Probably you would want to save money and grafts down the line if your Norwood level progresses. 

• Like 2

I think I am going to just do some punch outs in the hairline and re implant into some patchy areas of the donor. Nothing major. Won't be perfect but I'll try to just get on with life after that.

I also feel that the botch corners may actually have grown in from Dr Mwambas work. I don't know for sure until I cut my hair but that is a positive

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2023 at 12:54 PM, RTC said:

I think I am going to just do some punch outs in the hairline and re implant into some patchy areas of the donor. Nothing major. Won't be perfect but I'll try to just get on with life after that.

I also feel that the botch corners may actually have grown in from Dr Mwambas work. I don't know for sure until I cut my hair but that is a positive

Cut 'em and let us know! Only one way to find out..

Am i correct that you have transplanted 700+ grafts into your donor from your beard? Is it me or is there realy no difference in your donor in before and after surgery? Your donor still looks the same as before. What is your opinion on your donor area now? You see any improvements?

23 hours ago, patronovski said:

Am i correct that you have transplanted 700+ grafts into your donor from your beard? Is it me or is there realy no difference in your donor in before and after surgery? Your donor still looks the same as before. What is your opinion on your donor area now? You see any improvements?

My donor looks way way better. I feel this is more from the homogenisation rather than beard grafts though. There is only one more area I'm concerned with in the donor now really, the bottom right side.

I made a video summarising my thoughts if you are interesting.

• Like 3

On 7/21/2023 at 12:49 AM, RTC said:

My donor looks way way better. I feel this is more from the homogenisation rather than beard grafts though. There is only one more area I'm concerned with in the donor now really, the bottom right side.

I made a video summarising my thoughts if you are interesting.

Thanks for the update. I am glad you see improvements.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So sadly, it is now 100% for me that I will not be returning to Dr Mwamba. I have to say, their customer service is awful and is part of the reason I will not be going back. Yes, Dr Mwamba is a nice man and does some good work, and this is not a personal attack on him, but I have been left with a very sour taste in my mouth at the way the clinic operates.

1) I had a significant lack of growth on top. Yes, I am a repair patient. Yes, there may be issues due to the previous transplant. I don't know. I did not really receive an answer as to why the top failed. But over 1000 grafts failed to grow, which for someone with a decimated donor, is a big, big loss. Those 1000 grafts could have solved my problems if even 70% of them grew. 

My main issue here is that I was not offered a free or significantly discounted touch up. At all. To be fair, I did not ask for a free touch up. But I did ask for a discounted touch up, but the best I got was an offer to remove 100 grafts (and to implant 100-150 fresh ones from the dark band at the bottom of my donor) for 4000 euros.

Far too expensive for such a small amount of work imo, ESPECIALLY considering I am a former patient who had spent just under 10k a year prior.

Not to mention that I have referred many people to Dr Mwamba, some who have gone to see him in Brussels and even written 'RTC' as the person who referred them on the form that was filled out at the consultation.

2) I was initially told that if you sent photos at 1 month, 3 months, 9 months, and 12 months I would receive a 10% rebate (15% if face showing). I stuck to this and sent in my photos at the year mark.

After several ignored emails and prompts, I was told they'd process it within 20 days. Nobody asked for my bank details or anything. It's now been more than a month since the 1 year mark of my procedure and my last few emails have been ignored as usual.

Why offer such a thing if you are not able to provide it? Just don't offer it in the first place then. I had a feeling in the back of my head that would be the case anyway.

That rebate, which I doubt I will ever get, would have been useful in my next step of the repair journey.

Overall, I am very disappointed, and it seems it's not just me. I will seek a different doctor for the next step of the journey, and have and will be consulting with a couple of a different doctors.

Edited by RTC
  • Sad 14

3 hours ago, RTC said:

My main issue here is that I was not offered a free or significantly discounted touch up. At all. To be fair, I did not ask for a free touch up. But I did ask for a discounted touch up, but the best I got was an offer to remove 100 grafts (and to implant 100-150 fresh ones from the dark band at the bottom of my donor) for 4000 euros.

Far too expensive for such a small amount of work imo, ESPECIALLY considering I am a former patient who had spent just under 10k a year prior.

Bro - this is absolutely ridiculous. After reading this and @Ajamilo's experience, I can't say it's worth recommending Mwamba at this point.

From your story, it appears he doesn't honor his commitments nor does he seem to care about patient well-being. Based on online testimonals, it seems his communication -- or rather lack of -- seems to be a universal problem the clinic has had for years.

Sad to see such a fall from grace.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Z-- said:

Bro - this is absolutely ridiculous. After reading this and @Ajamilo's experience, I can't say it's worth recommending Mwamba at this point.

From your story, it appears he doesn't honor his commitments nor does he seem to care about patient well-being. Based on online testimonals, it seems his communication -- or rather lack of -- seems to be a universal problem the clinic has had for years.

I would also like to add, for completeness, that when I saw Dr Mwamba in person and he offered me the price for a future surgery, I didn't push for more discount or anything. It's only after when I thought about it and compared prices to other surgeons I considered it way overkill.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Z-- said:

as another former Mwamba patient, just validating and giving support to the claims that:

-the rebates are a broken promise and they will literally go out of their way to avoid or obstruct paying it. 

-at least for repair pricing, the pricing structure lacks explanation and seems to be arbitrary. There is no standard pricing. The final cost will ultimately be however much money the clinic thinks they can get away with charging you. I have experienced this firsthand

Surgery issues aside, the personal qualms and ethical issues I experienced from the rebate and fly-by-night pricing structure alone are enough negativity to no longer consider Mwamba as an option

-I have experienced density issues that others have experienced as well

-Clinic communication is actually great and fast as long as it involves booking your next surgery and giving them tens of thousands of dollars 🤣. Mwamba's communication is also totally fine in-person/during surgery

But if any of your communication will not profit the clinic and it is moreso about patient concerns (rebate, post-op issues), then yes communication will be sub-par

-I personally have not experienced cobblestoning or any other "botched" issues. In fact I would say - density aside - I am fairly satisfied with the repair work Mwamba has done

But....as a marketed repair surgeon....its a tough pill to swallow that there are at least 2 very recent patients in the community who have experienced cobblestoning

The hair transplant industry has so many bad doctors that the litmus test of a good doctor can simply be one who doesn't botch you. Especially if you are a repair patient - at minimum you have the basic expectation that you won't get any more botched than you already are.

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Sad 6

Well, I really hoped that Mwamba could be the best doctor for my repair surgery but after so many testimonials of negative experiences from patients who trusted Mwamba (and praised him at the beggining) it just seems like playing Russian roulette. Considering mixed results, problems with achieving a proper density, lack of free touch ups offers when a growth percentage is subpar and a poor communication, it's too much in my opinion.

I feel like an opinion about Mwamba being one of the best doctors appeard way too quickly on the Internet considering that not many cases were documented by his patients. Then this opinion was repeated again and again, until it was checked in real life by more patients and now it seems not really acurrate.

Edited by hairywannabe
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, HappyMan2021 said:

as another former Mwamba patient, just validating and giving support to the claims that:

-the rebates are a broken promise and they will literally go out of their way to avoid or obstruct paying it. 

-at least for repair pricing, the pricing structure lacks explanation and seems to be arbitrary. There is no standard pricing. The final cost will ultimately be however much money the clinic thinks they can get away with charging you. I have experienced this firsthand

The hair transplant industry has so many bad doctors that the litmus test of a good doctor can simply be one who doesn't botch you. Especially if you are a repair patient - at minimum you have the basic expectation that you won't get any more botched than you already are.

This is very damning - really sorry to hear bro. Apologies if I missed it, but do you have a thread? Have you decided on a new doctor to complete your transplants (if you’re going to go for another)

I’m definitely going to advise against this doctor going forward. Imagine charging thousands (arbitrarily at that) per day and not having the decency to bother honoring a promise of a rebate. Disgraceful. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Z-- said:

This is very damning - really sorry to hear bro. Apologies if I missed it, but do you have a thread? Have you decided on a new doctor to complete your transplants (if you’re going to go for another)

I don't have a thread. While I do comment a ton on this forum, I like to keep my own personal surgeries under-the-radar lol. 

I am consulting with new doctors. I dont want to name names but they are all doctors you have heard of.... Importantly, they have all have impressive cases recently with both repairs and density. 

31 minutes ago, Z-- said:

I’m definitely going to advise against this doctor going forward. Imagine charging thousands (arbitrarily at that) per day and not having the decency to bother honoring a promise of a rebate. Disgraceful. 

yes it is quite sad. For me personally, the breaking point with Mwamba are the rebate and subjective, arbitrary, and fly-by-night pricing. It's not even about density (which is just a minor issue in my specific case)

Ironically, doctors I am consulting with for my next surgery are significantly more expensive than Mwamba, or pretty much an equal price. 

But I would rather pay a doctor a larger sum as long as it is transparently advertised upfront and not prone to arbitrary and inexplicable, unjustified changes. 

It is sad that this rebate, pricing, lack of discounts has become an issue. 

The clinic simply could have not offered a rebate in the 1st place, and no patients would have cared at all 🤣

But by promising a rebate they had no serious intention of fulfilling, they created an issue for themselves. 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, RTC said:

I would also like to add, for completeness, that when I saw Dr Mwamba in person and he offered me the price for a future surgery, I didn't push for more discount or anything. It's only after when I thought about it and compared prices to other surgeons I considered it way overkill.

Honestly i thought in the beginning he was like a black brother who take cares of other since it is not many of them here. but he is simple greedy and takes advantage of other people. He pretends to be the kind one, while his wife is doing the shaytan-work and nags on e-mail or on the phone for that matter and doing the ghost thing since she controls his WhatsApp. 

Edited by Ajamilo
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Ajamilo said:

Honestly i thought in the beginning he was like a black brother who take cares of other since it is not many of them here.

While i do think you have plenty of valid criticisms with your Mwamba surgery, i think anything race-related is false and misleading

As a very Caucasian looking person, I felt race truly formed 0% of my Mwamba journey

For all of my own criticism of Mwamba - i will say that when i was having surgery with him, i did feel that he was sincere, earnest, and truly trying to give me the best result possible. 

If I was black, white, green, orange, purple, etc. I think he treats patients the same regardless of skin color. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, RTC said:

2) I was initially told that if you sent photos at 1 month, 3 months, 9 months, and 12 months I would receive a 10% rebate (15% if face showing). I stuck to this and sent in my photos at the year mark.

After several ignored emails and prompts, I was told they'd process it within 20 days. Nobody asked for my bank details or anything. It's now been more than a month since the 1 year mark of my procedure and my last few emails have been ignored as usual.

Wow. I mean....this is just straight up lying / false advertising. 

Really surprised and disappointed that Mwamba seems to be engaged in scam-like behaviour. I expected better

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs-down 1

Maybe Dr Mwamba should be notified about the issues so he can address them somehow. Maybe he can talk with his team about the poor communication and not keeping promises. Regarding cases with a poor growth, perhaps it's about optimizing clinic's workflow and reducing the time when grafts are outside of a body. @Melvin- Moderator, could you talk with Dr Mwamba about it?