Does this look like 2500 grafts harvested? FUT

Does this look like 2500 grafts harvested? FUT   

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello,

I am a NW2 and had went to do a consultation in Canada and was told I would need about 2500 grafts to get my desired hairline. After further research I decided to do an FUT surgery in Colombia with a different doctor who confirmed the same, I would need around 2500 grafts harvested. After the surgery I asked if 2500 grafts were harvested and this was confirmed to be the amount. (Photos were taken the day of and day after the surgery with both dry and wet hair.)

After comparing to others photos online to me it seems like significantly less than 2500 grafts were harvested? I am no expert and was hoping to have some doctors opinions, what do you think?

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

• Administrators

I don’t think you can over harvest a strip, it’s just a strip of tissue. It can stretch, but it’s to soon to tell. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It is definitely not 2500 grafts. But in my mind the greater concern should be whether or not the grafts transplanted have a high survival rate. You can always fix shoddy work, but you can't get your donor back. All you can do is give it time and see how it plays out. You've come to the right place. Wish you came here first, but now that you're here, you can right the ship and make sure you're making all the right decisions for yourself moving forward. Keep the updates coming at least monthly.🙏

Edited by MazAB
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I don’t think you can over harvest a strip, it’s just a strip of tissue. It can stretch, but it’s to soon to tell. 

But do you think it looks like 2.5k worth of grafts here? 

Just now, MazAB said:

It is definitely not 2500 grafts. But in my mind the greater concern should be whether or not the grafts transplanted have a high survival rate. You can always fix shoddy work, but you can't get your donor back. All you can do it time and see how it plays out. You've come to the right place. Wish you came here first, but now that you're here, you can right the ship and make sure you're making all the right decisions for yourself moving forward. Keep the updates coming at least monthly

Exactly this ☝️

I appreciate the honesty. What makes it look like poor work? I chose them because of significant cost savings and I was going to be in that part of the world at the time so it made more sense for me than going to a clinic in Turkey.

@Melvin- Moderatordoes it look like 2500 were implanted?

• Administrators

It’s hard to say, because it does look like you had grafts placed in the forelock. 386CFD76-C7C4-4B88-9BFC-3F6D12EDDCF1.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators

Guys, 

How can we comment on the work if it still hasn’t grown yet. Let’s not get into the habit of saying work is poor right off the bat. That sets a bad precedent.

Take this thread as a prime example, the work looked way worse, and in the end, the patient was happy. The truth is we have no idea how it’ll turn out. Only time will tell.

• Like 1

View my thread

3 minutes ago, hairlossburner1234 said:

@Melvin- Moderator Thank you. I am feeling a little defeated reading these comments but this post gives me some hope. I appreciate people taking the time to give their honest opinions regardless.

It’s my honest opinion, as you asked how many grafts it was, you already realised it’s not what they have said. I just mentioned the work didn’t look good as this is what I see. I honestly think it’s better to have a idea of what’s most likely going to happen here. 

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing. It is honestly difficult for me to say exactly given the scabbing and the existence of hair in some of the transplanted areas. I would definitely encourage trying to gently spray and clean up some of the scabs according to any instructions you have. I’m not sure what day is it now since your surgery but I would like it to be cleaner. Best of luck. Only time will tell exactly how much was transplanted. I may have been able to give an estimate but the photos aren’t really clear to comment. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

2 hours ago, MazAB said:

It is definitely not 2500 grafts. But in my mind the greater concern should be whether or not the grafts transplanted have a high survival rate. You can always fix shoddy work, but you can't get your donor back. All you can do is give it time and see how it plays out. You've come to the right place. Wish you came here first, but now that you're here, you can right the ship and make sure you're making all the right decisions for yourself moving forward. Keep the updates coming at least monthly.🙏

Thank you, appreciate the honesty and kind response. I was told FUT conserves donor area compared to FUE so I guess it is a good thing I did this method for my first transplant?

• Like 1

I've heard mixed reviews on that topic. Personally, I had FUE because I like to have my hair short. If you don't mind having it longer on the sides, than FUT can be the better option for at least the first procedure as it relates to donor conservative. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Thank you for sharing. It is honestly difficult for me to say exactly given the scabbing and the existence of hair in some of the transplanted areas. I would definitely encourage trying to gently spray and clean up some of the scabs according to any instructions you have. I’m not sure what day is it now since your surgery but I would like it to be cleaner. Best of luck. Only time will tell exactly how much was transplanted. I may have been able to give an estimate but the photos aren’t really clear to comment. 

The photos attached are from 72 hours after the transplant where I washed my recipient area with baby shampoo (heavily diluted with water) for the first time using a cup of water as I was instructed by my surgeon. I was NOT instructed to use saline spray and just let the area heal on its own but I have ordered some to use anyways as I see it so commonly recommended here and thought that it can't hurt. There are also grafts transplanted in the forelock though you can't really see them when my hair isn't wet.

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

41 minutes ago, hairlossburner1234 said:

The photos attached are from 72 hours after the transplant where I washed my recipient area with baby shampoo (heavily diluted with water) for the first time using a cup of water as I was instructed by my surgeon. I was NOT instructed to use saline spray and just let the area heal on its own but I have ordered some to use anyways as I see it so commonly recommended here and thought that it can't hurt. There are also grafts transplanted in the forelock though you can't really see them when my hair isn't wet.

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

I would agree with Melvin that it's difficult to guess how many grafts that is given the length of the hair in your forelock.  That said, I'm two weeks out from getting 2660 grafts implanted, and the amount you got implanted doesn't really look close to the amount on my dome.  I also have a large (wide and long) head - 2500 grafts can cover a pretty considerable area. The area covered in your case would potentially be 2500 grafts worth (if the forelock area was close to bare to begin with and was packed in tightly), but only if they were packed more densely.  Here's a picture for comparison.  You are correct that starting with strip gives you the most available grafts over your lifetime, so that's good.  Worse case scenario here looks like it'll just be mediocre - you absolutely didn't get butchered.

277822846_643928170037772_2473228717778554683_n.jpg

Edited by John1991
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, John1991 said:

I would agree with Melvin that it's difficult to guess how many grafts that is given the length of the hair in your forelock.  That said, I'm two weeks out from getting 2660 grafts implanted, and the amount you got implanted doesn't really look close to the amount on my dome.  I also have a large (wide and long head) - 2500 grafts can cover a pretty good area - and the area covered in your case would potentially be 2500 grafts worth, but only if they were packed I densely.  Here's a picture for comparison.

277822846_643928170037772_2473228717778554683_n.jpg

Thank you, really appreciate you taking the time to comment and even include a picture. In comparison it does appear like I have significantly less grafts than you do. Only time will tell I suppose..

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hairlossburner1234 said:

Hello,

I am a NW2 and had went to do a consultation in Canada and was told I would need about 2500 grafts to get my desired hairline. After further research I decided to do an FUT surgery in Colombia with a different doctor who confirmed the same, I would need around 2500 grafts harvested. After the surgery I asked if 2500 grafts were harvested and this was confirmed to be the amount. (Photos were taken the day of and day after the surgery with both dry and wet hair.)

After comparing to others photos online to me it seems like significantly less than 2500 grafts were harvested? I am no expert and was hoping to have some doctors opinions, what do you think?

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

I think its feasible you received 2500 *hairs* which potentially they are substituting for pricing reasons. Obviously a bottom tier clinic, not sure why you would ever go to Columbia for surgery, even with extreme budget concerns there are much better options in Turkey. The reality is you have one of the best FUT surgeons in the world Dr. Wong in Canada and the price of FUT in that case isn't even particularly high. If you end up needing a repair, consult with a clinic like Hasson and Wong that are doing serious work, if you end up with scarring issues they will also be able to aid in rectifying this competently. 

• Valued Contributor
11 hours ago, hairlossburner1234 said:

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

Yea that's definitely not 2,500 grafts I'm afraid!

• Like 1