Anyone have experience with small hairs post op, a few mm, not growing?

NW8

I had my transplant about a month ago and I have a few small hairs a couple mm long that are thick but they didn't shed and haven't grown at all. Are these dead follicles or can I expect some of these to shed and start growing. 

I've read posts where after a few months people say these are dead follicles but I know I am still early in the process. I am wonder what your experiences are with these. 

Edited by NW8

• NW8 changed the title to Anyone have experience with small hairs post op, a few mm, not growing?
  • Administrators

There are a lot of people who claim there are 'stuck' follicles that never shed or grow. My thoughts are that they are dead follicles that somehow got buried into the scalp. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

There are a lot of people who claim there are 'stuck' follicles that never shed or grow. My thoughts are that they are dead follicles that somehow got buried into the scalp. 

This dis-concerning as I have a good amount of these I'm almost 1 month in after transplant. 

Edited by NW8

I've had a few of these "stuck" follicles throughout the years. Unfortunately, for me at least, if they didn't grow immediately after the procedure at all and just stayed in the scalp, they were not viable grafts. Eventually they fell or could be pulled out with no regrowth. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

I assume it is also possible that these hairs are in the non growth phase of their cycle.  If that’s the case, they might start growing again after 2-3 months.  Just track them until then.  If no growth after a few months though, probably dead.

Check out my journey here:

@Melvin- Moderator @NW8

Here's an example of what Hairliciously (well known Youtuber for hair transplants) looked like a month after his hair transplant.  At that point, he still has a lot of tiny hairs that don't seem to have grown, but also haven't shed yet.  If we fast forward a few months later in his later videos, his hairline seems to have grown in very well and thick.  

So many this early, it's normal to have lots of non growing/small hairs that haven't shed?

• Like 1

Check out my journey here:

I had some that stalled for a few months then started regrowing without shedding.  All you can do is wait.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Just be patient, whether they grow or fall out, it won't be a significant amount and you will never notice in a few months.  You will be fine...don't worry.

• Thanks 1

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 1 month later...

NW8, at only one month after your hair transplant, these stagnant follicles may actually still grow. In fact, they may not have ever shed from the initial procedure yet.  If this is the case, they may still shed and then new hairs will begin to grow in somewhere between three and five months.  

I wouldn’t worry too much about these hairs at this point since a hair transplant won’t even start to really grow in for a couple more months.  

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.

As the others said, there's a very good chance that this will all resolve itself... Likely, even. I think 4 weeks post-op is way too early to reach a definitive conclusion here, so unfortunately, all you can really do is wait, trust, and hope for/expect a positive outcome. ❤️ 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 2 weeks later...

I saw evidence of new growth at the 14th week after my first surgery.  The growth was a little slower to emerge after my 2nd surgery.  Just be patient.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.