Dr. Hasson / 4228 grafts / FUE / 1 session / Hairline-Frontal Zone-Mid / 1 year post-op

Patient in his early 30’s from Calgary choose Hasson and Wong after doing extensive research. His decision was also influenced by a friend that recommended he see Dr. Hasson. Starting to lose his hair at the age of 18, it was roughly 15 years later when he decided to do something about it. The plan was for Dr. Hasson and team to rebuild the hairline and frontal zone working back into the mid-scalp as necessary. 4228 grafts via FUE were harvested.  Day 1 consisted of 200 single hair grafts, 1972 doubles and 28 triples for a total of 2200 grafts. On Day 2, 2028 doubles were extracted. Due to limited options on the busy schedule, day 1 was separated from day 2 by 6 days instead of the customary back to back day approach. You can see in the placement photos there was a fair amount of crusting left over from the previous day 1 session 6 days prior. For the extraction sites as seen in the photo, left side harvest on day 1, right side on day 2. These result photos were sent in by the patient about 1 year post-op.

Some comments he also added with the photos: 

“It was around 6 months it really started to thicken up. I got a haircut a couple days ago, so the sides are pretty short.  There is no visible scaring in the donor area and you can’t tell there are have been any hairs extracted.  Overall I would say that I am super happy with the results (was a great last minute decision to go with FUE vs. the originally planned FUT too).” 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

• Like 1

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

• Administrators

Wow absolutely incredible 👏🏼👏🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Nice result. 

Another high extraction pattern though for a patient with the onset of balding at aged 18 - what was the presenting criteria that allowed the surgeon to feel comfortable with this extraction approach? 

As always, not a knock, just intrigue - because if this becomes industry wide practice, the majority of patients will have a lot more scalp grafts to play with 😊 

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Excellent results. Highlights that if you have natural temple points then the framing of the face has a greater outcome. Thanks for sharing Doug.

IMO the patients temple points are somewhat recessed, in particular the left one 

Wow, just wow.......IMO hairline is perfect..........lowering the hairline and sacrificing density in the process is always the wrong decision........a HT is for life.....you grow into a higher hairline as you age......go too low (with a lack of density too) and a HT ages badly over time....I spot these 'how low can you go' HT hairlines all the time out in the wild and once your 55+ they don't work....note at 55 you have another ~30 years on the clock....this gentleman has had any sense of 'baldness' removed from his appearance...he looks great today and at 60 years old he'll look like one of gods chosen people :) who have outstanding hairlines at that age

• Like 1

Seems kinda crazy to me when i read about patients that they are told to change from FUT to FUE at the last minute..

Like, surely that's kind of unprofessional to set someone's mind on one particular method, to only then completely change the procedure at the last minute? 

Whether it's for the best or not, you would expect the best decision to be made when signing up for the operation in the first place...

Thanks for the comment guys!

Dr. Hasson determined this patient’s final hair loss pattern is a stage 3A. In this case his safe donor zone would be much larger than say a stage 5-7. Therefore we can be more aggressive with the area to harvest.

There is a relationship between hairline placement and temple location. The farther advanced the temples and points, the lower the hairline can be. They must balance with one another. If we want to significantly lower the hairline and its safe, the temples need to be advanced to match the hairline. In some cases a complete temple reconstruction is not recommended, in others it is. In this case temple advancement/reconstruction was not necessary or advised. The patient will usually be presented with several hairline placement options. He may have always had a higher hairline and felt more comfortable with a more conservative hairline design and location. Dr. Hasson may have been able to go a little lower here if desired but too much and the hairline would start to look top heavy without advancing the temples.  In most patients, one side does have more recession than the other. I’m not seeing a much of a difference in the temple point location here.

Some reasons to switch to FUE from FUT can include finding that the scalp is tight and harvesting the desired number of grafts via FUT could be a challenge.  While we have transitioned from an exclusively FUT clinic to performing more FUE than FUT, we have implemented some practices that have greatly reduced the chance we may consider a switch at the time of the patient’s visit. While I agree we want to minimize any surprises once the patient has arrived, I would not characterize this as “unprofessional”. On the contrary if the switch is ultimately in the patient’s best interest.

Let me repost some of the patients comments in case you guys missed it: 

“I got a haircut a couple days ago, so the sides are pretty short.  There is no visible scaring in the donor area and you can’t tell there are have been any hairs extracted.  Overall I would say that I am super happy with the results (was a great last minute decision to go with FUE vs. the originally planned FUT too).”  

I thought his comments may have been of some interest but I didn’t think it would get this reaction…..so much for the transparency and providing the additional info  😊

• Like 1

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

3 hours ago, deeznuts said:

Can the final pattern be deduced with good accuracy in the early 30's? I'm just wondering since I'm around that age and would love to have an "educated guess" on my final pattern. Sadly, my temple points aren't as good as his.

I too would like clarification on this - as what level of accuracy can roughly be determined at this age. 

6 hours ago, H & W Doug said:

Dr. Hasson determined this patient’s final hair loss pattern is a stage 3A. In this case his safe donor zone would be much larger than say a stage 5-7. Therefore we can be more aggressive with the area to harvest.

Hi Doug, 

Is it common for people with an onset of balding at aged 18, to ultimately be destined to only reach NW3A, and how does Dr Hasson determine this - is it through a scalp analysis for miniaturisation, and a look at family history? For instance - is it a safe assumption, that a patient in his early 30's who is destined to be heading for NW5+ will already have signs of miniaturisation in these areas, despite there potentially being no visible signs of the pattern to the naked eye? Comparatively - if a patient in his early 30's doesn't show any signs of miniaturisation outside of a NW3 pattern, it is a safe assumption that he will not surpass this? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mark Wolfer said:

With Hasson and Wong if you live in a city in Canada other than Vancouver you don't meet with the Doctor, you meet with a rep.

On the day of the surgery you have your consult with the doctor and you discuss the plan. For me that was the first day that the doctor had seen my head himself.

> Whether it's for the best or not, you would expect the best decision to be made when signing up for the operation in the first place...

What matters most to me is if its for the best or not.

That makes sense.

Nevertheless, with such a life-altering surgery, I personally, would need to prepare myself mentally for getting a FUE or FUT.

I simply would not be able to just change at the last minute, regardless of if it being the best choice for me. No way my anxious brain could just accept a last minute alteration on that scale.

13 hours ago, follically challenged said:

That makes sense.

Nevertheless, with such a life-altering surgery, I personally, would need to prepare myself mentally for getting a FUE or FUT.

I simply would not be able to just change at the last minute, regardless of if it being the best choice for me. No way my anxious brain could just accept a last minute alteration on that scale.

Yeah I would think the doctors would determine this earlier but at the same time... Some guys are coming from halfway around the world and they can't just make two trips around the world for HT surgery. Especially if one of those is just to confirm what the rep says and the approximate "game plan" for the operation. So in a way, I'd imagine the clinics hands are tied behind their back on this issue. Especially with COVID making in person meetups more difficult

On the flip side, I've already formulated opinions on FUE vs FUT though so I think I'd be able to make a decision "on the spot" if I had to. Or if they do the inspection the day beforehand, I think 24 hours would be enough to decide for me. I think I'd probably refuse FUT and stick with FUE. As long as it's not FUT or nothing, I would be okay since the one thing that would upset me would be to book a hotel/flights and then come back empty handed